HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part V: Fin? Moi non plus

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Matrix78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryogenic Man View Post
What if

Marcel Aubut sold the Nordiques in May of 95' to Denver, and do the NHL a favor, even though he could have kept them in Quebec and sold them to a man named Gilles Leger who had deep pocketed investors all lined up?

''Yes I had a deal in place to buy the Nordiques. A deal that was fair and honest. A deal which would have at least given the franchise a great chance to be kept in Quebec city.''-- Gilles Leger
I just want to clarify something,
The offer to buy the team, from Gilles Leger, was clearly far far below the offer from Comsat Communication. At this time, we didn't know about a local group trying to buy the team, however, it is clear that Aubut sold the team to Denver just to get more $$$$$

There is no conspiracy here

Old
04-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Cryogenic Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix78 View Post
I just want to clarify something,
The offer to buy the team, from Gilles Leger, was clearly far far below the offer from Comsat Communication. At this time, we didn't know about a local group trying to buy the team, however, it is clear that Aubut sold the team to Denver just to get more $$$$$
I don't believe anyone was privy to the offer Gilles Leger and his group had made other than Marcel Aubut and the NHL at the time. As far as I was told, those numbers are not available.

To me there's a lot more than just the fact that he sold the team to Denver just to get more money. There was much more that went into that decision.

Well according to my scenario, which is just that, a scenario.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Matrix78

Quote:
I don't believe anyone was privy to the offer Gilles Leger and his group had made other than Marcel Aubut and the NHL at the time. As far as I was told, those numbers are not available.

To me there's a lot more than just the fact that he sold the team to Denver just to get more money. There was much more that went into that decision.

Well according to my scenario, which is just that, a scenario.
Gilles Leger said in an interview that Aubut didn't consider his offer for obvious pecuniary motives

Old
04-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Cryogenic Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix78 View Post
Gilles Leger said in an interview that Aubut didn't consider his offer for obvious pecuniary motives

I wonder what those were...guess we'll never know now.

I don't buy the fact that he just didn't like him.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:32 PM
thegreaterikku

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvoiz View Post
Proven market yes, but at the same time, they're having hard times filling the arena no? I remember the Nordiques Nation going to a game last year and there must have been no more than 7-8000 people in the stands..

But yea, even with that, I dont see NJ moving anywhere.
Ever since the late '90s the Devils are the most boring hockey club to watch... no wonder their attendance is very low. The place was packed like hell when they won their SC but it didn't mean the game was better. It's the only team in the NHL, along with the Panthers, that I dislike to go see.

Even when they play city rivals, the game is dull. They really need to change that mentality over there and Kovalchuk was the first piece of many to come.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Undertakerqc

The GWI will get into a possible Coyotes subsidy. Sounds to me like its end game for the Coyotes. Without subsidies this franchise cannot survive.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:34 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The GWI will get into a possible Coyotes subsidy. Sounds to me like its end game for the Coyotes. Without subsidies this franchise cannot survive.
Well, it might mean the end for the Coyotes, but it doesn't mean that we will get the team next year. If the CoG city concil choose to accept Jamison's offer, GWI would have to sue the city in order to nix the deal, that could drag for a while, forcing the NHL to keep the team in Glendale for the time being. Maybe they won't want to wait and decide to move the team, but that would surprise me considering that their first goal is to keep the team there.

So, if the deal gets overturn in a couple of months, it will be too late for an immediate move to Qc and that might mean that Seattle would swoop the rug from under our feet. Don't be too optimistic. I still think we will get the Nordiques back next fall, but we have to manage our expectations.

There are many things to consider, I wouldn't get drunk on la Grande-Allée just yet

Old
04-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Well, it might mean the end for the Coyotes, but it doesn't mean that we will get the team next year. If the CoG city concil choose to accept Jamison's offer, GWI would have to sue the city in order to nix the deal, that could drag for a while, forcing the NHL to keep the team in Glendale for the time being. Maybe they won't want to wait and decide to move the team, but that would surprise me considering that their first goal is to keep the team there.

So, if the deal gets overturn in a couple of months, it will be too late for an immediate move to Qc and that might mean that Seattle would swoop the rug from under our feet. Don't be too optimistic. I still think we will get the Nordiques back next fall, but we have to manage our expectations.

There are many things to consider, I wouldn't get drunk on la Grande-Allée just yet
Man o man you are pessimistic. If GWI launches a lawsuit, the NHL will just deem this to be impossible and move the team now. It said time and time again this year they wont be owning the team next season. I manage my expectations, but you have to look at the facts. Just saying it wont happen until it happens is not managing expectations, its just dinial.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:45 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

I'm not saying it won't happen, all I am saying is that there are things that could prevent a move from happening. And yes, that's called managing expectations.

Like I said, I still believe we will get the team, but I refuse to be too enthusiastic too fast. But the day the announce a move? Man, I'll be in uber party mode

Old
04-17-2012, 01:09 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Does PKP pull out?

With the Coyotes supposedly close to a deal with Glendale and no other up for sale to relocate, does PKP say screw it and pull out of any deal with NHL. And he goes and buy a share of NFL's Buffalo Bills.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:19 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

He commited himself to the management of the new Colisée for 25 years, he won't pull out, he will do everything he can to get a team.

Old
04-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
With the Coyotes supposedly close to a deal with Glendale and no other up for sale to relocate, does PKP say screw it and pull out of any deal with NHL. And he goes and buy a share of NFL's Buffalo Bills.
That's suicidal. Seriously. That means the near future death of le Journal de Quebec, TVA-Québec, the possible failiure of TVA Sports.

Old
04-17-2012, 07:30 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Man o man you are pessimistic. If GWI launches a lawsuit, the NHL will just deem this to be impossible and move the team now. It said time and time again this year they wont be owning the team next season. I manage my expectations, but you have to look at the facts. Just saying it wont happen until it happens is not managing expectations, its just dinial.
And you are way to optimistic about Gary Bettman and his love for the south. It is true that if there is no team this year, next year (or next year could aswell mean 2015 - once the arena is done) that there will be a few contenters, yes Quebec, but Seattle as well as GTA (Hamilton/Markham) and god knows who else could be there wanting a team.

Quote:
I don't know why buying Bills or a share could in any way help his sports media platform. FOX, CBS and ESPN do a great job in NFL and it's not a league that goes after money that much. (Compared to NHL anyway). But I guess he could aswell show interest in other rumored teams like Florida, Devils, Islanders.

I always tough that Chow who seems not willing to sell, could sell let's say 40% of the teams part to PKP, move the team to QC and have a successful business career. I mean lets be honest, PKP is not a fan of hockey, but he wants a hockey because that's what his milking cow is for his sport platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
That's suicidal. Seriously. That means the near future death of le Journal de Quebec, TVA-Québec, the possible failiure of TVA Sports.
I would say a 110% faillure of TVA Sports. Honestly, it's hockey that sells in Quebec. Look what RDS goes, they follow Habs from their spring golf tournament () to their individual summer vacation.

We know RDS is signed to 2013 with Canadiens but since that contract has been signed, Bell has became an active owner (even if not major) of both RDS and Canadiens. It's gonna be hard to get Habs games for PKP and I really don't think 20ish Sens games will do it.

Old
04-17-2012, 07:51 AM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
Quote:
This might be the worst idea I've ever read.

What exactly will he do with his new arena then???

Old
04-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
What exactly will he do with his new arena then???
Transform the Bills to an Arena Football team and win ArenaBowl after ArenaBowl.

Old
04-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Undertakerqc

There is an expension coming up in the next 3 years. 2015-16 season would be my bet, plus the Islanders lease come to an end in three years. And the Journal de Québec will survive without a hockey team. For PKP the ideal situation would be to get a team not in the old Colisée but when then new one is open in 3 years.

Last edited by Undertakerqc: 04-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old
04-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Dom

Quebecor's goal is only to have content for his media. It doesn't have to be the owner for that. There are rumors the Desmarais family might be in it and I would count on them to be outbid if they really want the team. Still, Quebecor has the arena lease with potential deficits paid by the city and would be firmly in the running to broadcast all 82 games.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Cryogenic Man

You guys are way too pessimistic.

Think about it, it's rumored that Jamison only has $100M, ok let's even say for arguments sake that he has $140M to buy the team.

It's reminiscent of the friend that hasn't enough money to go out for the night and at the last minute he calls up and says ''hey guys! I've got some more money! ill see you guys in a bit''. you all know he's going to have just enough to get in and buy himself a couple of drinks, doesn't have enough to pay a round, can't go anywhere else if you guys decide to go elsewhere..etc...

Bottom line is the NHL does not want owners that don't have deep pockets' and in the situation the Coyotes are in, you know well that there will be no money to be made. None. If you're the NHL do you want to prolong an inevitable problem for a few more years? or end it all right now, and give the team to Quebecor, while making a brand new friend that has loads of money to have great nights out?

Asking the question is answering it.

Here's how this will play out. The sale will be accepted by Glendale to Greg Jamison.

Goldwater will get involved and although the CoG and Jamison got creative with their numbers, the GWI will insist that it falls within the AZ 'gift clause' and start a negative PR campaign against the controversial sale.

A little time will go by and Daly will tell (or Bettman) the press that the final decision rest in the hands of the BOG.

The BOG under points brought forward by Daly and Bettman, (apart the point of owners making more money from a sale to another market,) those points being that it would be great for the next CBA talks if they throw the NHLPA another bone by letting some of their members get into;
better salary situations, a more competitive team market (chance to win the cup, a chance of signed free agents, less cap limit etc..) and a just better overall stability. (the players really do want this for them and their families)

and then,

under recommendation of the BOG the final sale will be refused due to the PHX market future projected instability, and the negotiation (which will go very fast because Quebecor is ready) to sell the team to QC will be concluded.

I'm not pessimistic at all. Aubut recently said:

''Listen folks, let's stop speculating, and telling the NHL what to do, because that's the worst thing we can do. There is only one person that will make that decision if he wants to or not, and that's Gary Bettman''

It's not what he said, It's how he said it.

So now we wait. It all starts tonight.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:56 PM
ebergeron

Quote:
''Listen folks, let's stop speculating, and telling the NHL what to do, because that's the worst thing we can do. There is only one person that will make that decision if he wants to or not, and that's Gary Bettman''
Aubut also added that PKP needed to stay low profile, which he does. He said PKP was doing exactly what needs to be done right now.

We just need to sit and wait. If PHX is available, no doubt it will be moved.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:35 PM
blues10

Quote:
You guys are way too pessimistic.

A little time will go by and Daly will tell (or Bettman) the press that the final decision rest in the hands of the BOG.
Quote:
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Tuesday that the league’s Board of Governors, which would vote to approve a sale, has not yet officially weighed in on a new Coyotes buyer.
As Glendale works to complete its budget for next year, Daly said the NHL has not set a timeline for the sale process or formally looked at relocation possibilities.

“We have not begun to actively explore any alternatives,” Daly said.
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blo...insider/159889

Last edited by blues10: 04-17-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: cut
Old
04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
But the BOG vote was a mere formality when it came to Winnipeg. Bettman and Chipman announced the deal and the board confirmed it a few weeks later.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:57 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
But the BOG vote was a mere formality when it came to Winnipeg. Bettman and Chipman announced the deal and the board confirmed it a few weeks later.
The BOG wasn't really a party to the transaction though. This time they're the owners and they have to decide who they sell to.

Old
04-17-2012, 02:19 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
The BOG wasn't really a party to the transaction though. This time they're the owners and they have to decide who they sell to.
Exactly, tho if there was any owner worried what NHL would do better in Winnipeg instead of Atlanta, was reassured by the fact that GB asked for 13k ST to be sold and they were in about a day, making the BOG vote a formality.

It is true that BOG vote on Phoenix is a business related vote. But it's also on more that one aspect. If BOG refuses Jamisons offer, does it mean they approve a potential PKP offer thus they approve the relocation to Quebec ? Or do they rather accept another year of NHL management and a status quo ? Does GB play fairs and informs them there are 3 possibilities (or even just two).

In no order, the possibilities would be : 1) NHL stays manager/owner for another year. 2) Sale to Jamison, team stays. 3) Sale to PKP, team moves to Quebec.

What are the criterias on such a vote ? Money, PR, moral obligations...

Old
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
There is an expension coming up in the next 3 years. 2015-16 season would be my bet, plus the Islanders lease come to an end in three years. And the Journal de Québec will survive without a hockey team. For PKP the ideal situation would be to get a team not in the old Colisée but when then new one is open in 3 years.

There is no expansion in the next 3 years, with half of the teams bleeding money that is not going to happen and in the economy, it is not even possible. Yes the Islanders lease will be up in the next 3 years but they are don't going anywhere because the leauge will fight tooth and nail. If the Coyotes are sold in Glendale to ****ing jamison then there is no team on sale for relocation, then you are waiting 5-7 years. It's pretty much Coyotes or bust. I think Glendale will proably go bankrupct if they sign that deal and I hope all the resident leave.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:22 PM
JuJu Mobb

About the Islanders Viper, correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't the guy who owns the New Jersey Nets in the NBA express interest in bringing the Islanders to Brooklyn?

Closed Thread