HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would you be upset if the new GM did a rebuild?

View Poll Results: Would you be upset?
Yes, I want to win now and feel this core is a contender 57 34.55%
No, I am not opposed to a philosophy change. 108 65.45%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You mean I've written 8000 rebuild posts for nothing?

Holy crap man, I need something new to do with my life.
I've been looking for something new to do with my life for decades. If you find it, please advise.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:38 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'd like to see what the team can do next year under new management. If that fails, I'd be okay with rebuilding.
ITS A REBUILD ...

you can hire Santa Clauss for all I care

the next GM has to stop patching , bandaiding , and spending stupid money on the wrong player at the wrong time

this team doesnt have the talent to compete with the elite

look in the mirror and wake up ....we aren`t going to win S H I T with this group
of players we have

Pleks , Gio, Gomez , Kabbie have to go this summer

Eller ,Leblanc have to player more , and Tinordi has to be phased in on the third pairing at least

forget free agency ...we spend enough in years with no results

resign Price and PK , develop the kids and STOP BEING STUPID

no more throwing kids away , no more Markov deals to finished players ,

no more Kabbie bandaid deals ,

do not resign the midget , he is overated , and not a top 6 on any good team

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
tmlms13

vCash: 50
I will say this, not to be a downer or insulting, but as a bit of a realist.

The Pittsburghs and Chicagos and potentially Edmontons of the world all have something in common that Montreal doesnt have.

That is a real blue chip prospect. The guys who average over a ppg. Kane (had 88 in 2008), Malkin (had 113 in 2009), one of Nug-Hop/Hall/Eberle.

And all due respect to Montreal's core, there are some good players but I do not see anyone who is a mega-star quality player like Kane/Malkin/N-H/Hall. This #3 pick HAS to be a home run.

Boston had a Vezina winner and a Norris winner, instead of the superstar forwar (my apolgies to PK and CP)

Detroit, Datsyuk (31-66)

Anaheim Selanne (48-46)

Carolina Eric Staal (45-55), (also lucky with Ward as a rookie)

Last edited by tmlms13: 04-15-2012 at 09:01 PM.
tmlms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlms13 View Post
I will say this, not to be a downer or insulting, but as a bit of a realist.

The Pittsburghs and Chicagos and potentially Edmontons of the world all have something in common that Montreal doesnt have.

That is a real blue chip prospect. The guys who average over a ppg. Kane (had 88 in 2008), Malkin (had 113 in 2009), one of Nug-Hop/Hall/Eberle.

And all due respect to Montreal's core, there are some good players but I do not see anyone who is a mega-star quality player like Kane/Malkin/N-H/Hall. This #3 pick HAS to be a home run.

Boston had a Vezina winner and a Norris winner, instead of the superstar forwar (my apolgies to PK and CP)

Detroit, Datsyuk (31-66)

Anaheim Selanne (48-46)

Carolina Eric Staal (45-55), (also lucky with Ward as a rookie)
Staal, Kane and Thomas took advantage of career years to help their team win a Cup. Stanley Cups don't demand elite careers, just elite years. The Habs have players who may rise to 'blue chip' status for a year or two, even if they'll never be consistently elite. Price, PK, Pacioretty, not to mention our big upcoming 3rd pick could have career years at the right time -- which is what usually happens for a Cup-winning team. And that doesn't preclude us buying an elite player for a year or two.

But the real trick to winning a Cup is building an entire team to peak together. With Price, PK, Pacioretty, DD already on the team, we're set to add two or three top prospects plus a 3rd overall pick and a bunch of 2nd round picks over the next year. That's a lot of youth and a lot of potential, all of which will be hitting stride its in about three or four years. By that time Cole is gone, but Plekanec and Gorges are still productive and mentoring the young guys. Is that a good enough core for a true contender? Maybe. Depends on the rest of the roster. Have other call-ups become strong contributors? Have we attracted two or three good UFAs? Have we made strong trades? If the answer to all those questions is "Yes", then we'll have a contending team by then.

If that sounds like too many "Ifs", consider that every team faces the same crapshoot. No pick, trade or free agent is a guarantee. What tilts the odds towards building that winning roster is great scouting and great asset management. We already have the former; if we get the latter we may get back on course.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

I want a GM who's independent-minded and isn't easily swayed by the local media.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I want a GM who's independent-minded and isn't easily swayed by the local media.
Agreed. I want a guy with a vision and he sticks to it.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:38 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Agreed. I want a guy with a vision and he sticks to it.
And I want a pony. Lets see who gets his first.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Patofqc

Once again this poll shows Habs fans are the best in the world. The intelligent thing is to continue rebuilding. Next year we need to suck again and have a shot at Nathan Mckinnon. Trade Plekanec as well, Markov in the next couple years. We should pile up draft pick for next years draft.

Last edited by Patofqc: 04-17-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Patofqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:44 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
And I want a pony. Lets see who gets his first.
A pony should be our GM IMO. Best of both worlds.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Habsoil

Out of curiosity, if we finish in 20th -24th place next year, what would it take to trade down to have 1st overall pick?

Would our,say 7th overall pick, plus the 3 2nd round picks come close?

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
Out of curiosity, if we finish in 20th -24th place next year, what would it take to trade down to have 1st overall pick?

1rst pick wont be available next year, you dont trade a franchise player unless your forced to (Lindros).

Patofqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Habsoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
1rst pick wont be available next year, you dont trade a franchise player unless your forced to (Lindros).
Toronto might lol

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Once again this poll shows Habs fans are the best in the world. The intelligent thing is to continue rebuilding. Next year we need to suck again and have a shot at Nathan Mckinnon. Trade Plekanec as well, Markov in the next couple years. We should pile up draft pick for next years draft.
Too bad no GM is "smart" enough to do it

Do you really think Molson(or any owner for that matter) would hire somebody who's gameplan includes sucking next year to try and draft MacKinnon? Plus, who knows what MacKinnon will be in a year, maybe he isn't even a top 5 pick(see Couturier).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:31 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post

I believe that in Mario Lemieux's draft year, the Habs offered all of their draft picks to the Penguins, but Pittsburgh preferred to have Lemieux.

We used our draft picks to get Petr Svoboda, Shayne Corson, Stephane Richer, Patrick Roy, Graeme Bonar, Lee Brodeur, Gerald Johannson, Jim Nesich, Scott McTavish, Brad Macaughey, Eric Demers, Roy Annear, Dave Tanner, and Troy Crosby (father of Sidney Crosby).

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:34 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Too bad no GM is "smart" enough to do it

Do you really think Molson(or any owner for that matter) would hire somebody who's gameplan includes sucking next year to try and draft MacKinnon? Plus, who knows what MacKinnon will be in a year, maybe he isn't even a top 5 pick(see Couturier).
MacKinnon should be factored into the rebuilding plan.

If rebuilding comes with a 20% chance to draft MacKinnon, you definitely account for that. It's important to account for the range of possibilities rather than to just assume the best case scenario or worst case scenario.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I can't believe i'm saying this but I realised now that I wouldn't mind if a rebuild would happen. Switch your pick of this year with the Oilers for Yakupov by adding a few vets to the mix. And then try getting Mackinnon next year.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I can't believe i'm saying this but I realised now that I wouldn't mind if a rebuild would happen. Switch your pick of this year with the Oilers for Yakupov by adding a few vets to the mix. And then try getting Mackinnon next year.
It depends. I don't think it's necessary to get Yakupov per se. I prefer selling vets and making a deal for a guy like Jordan Staal(big two-way center who can score 30 goals in a top 6 role) and add to the core. Reality is, you can overpay for 30 something vets any year you want. Guys like Parise, Suter, Staal, Getzlaf are the ones who are hard to get, even if they reach UFA status.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Miller Time

this whole "rebuilding" notion is more fan fodder than anything else.

GM's don't purposefully build rosters designed to fail, even if they may concede to live with the growing pains of relying on younger/inexperienced players in important roles, or of having minimal veteran depth at a few key positions.
from there, the coaches & players are fully implicated in trying to spin a positive narrative for the season. when it works, you get the 2011-2012 Sens or Yotes, when it fails, you get the Oilers or Islanders.

If the new GM feels as though making any significant "upgrades" to our roster this offseason would be too costly/risky, and decides to rely on addressing our top-9 & top-4 needs by plugging in guys like Diaz, Emelin, Weber, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Palushaj, then so be it.

that would likely make us closer to a lottery shot then at being a cup contender, but with better injury luck then last year and a solid coach, we would still contend for a playoff spot.

I wouldn't be upset with that approach, as long as what held us back from improving was "fit" and not cap restrictions b/c we are keeping Gomez/Kaberle on the active roster.

Otherwise, with a half decent GM & the ownership backing to bury that 11M$ if needed, we should be able to add a quality top-4 player and a quality top-9 player, immediately solidifying us as a 6-10 team, if not higher.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Teufelsdreck

It depends on the GM. Bad as the Habs were this season, it's possible to make them worse.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote