HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2012, 01:28 AM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
For one year, and due a new deal at the same time as Getzlaf and Perry? You better be thinking Palmieri+Lydman. Ryan isn't going for that.
Boudreau would be talking up Staal to management. He knows better than anyone what Staal brings to the table. He was a huge reason why we got past the Caps in 09. And he's always had nothing but praise for him, mentioning him as a star with Sid/Geno.

Don't blame you for being apprehensive about the contract situations. But if something can be worked out before the trade or shortly thereafter, one more year of Ryan's contract doesn't skew things that badly.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Gorges? I mean, top 4 shutdown D-man is what you asked for. He's like a #3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We'd be looking for a bit more grit on the backend, imo. Michalek, when on his game, is similar in skillset but with a better breakout pass.

Depending on what else is added, I might be interested. He's a lot like Michalek, but more physical. But I don't think it's enough of an upgrade, and whatever is added would have to be fairly decent as well.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:32 AM
KonaRider

Would Pittsburgh be interested in Edler?

Both are UFA's after next year.

But being able to land Staal would allow us to be able to deal Kesler for a real top #1 D.

Old
mpp9

Quote:
Agreed and fair enough. You should be looking for a top pairing guy then. Gorges is a #3(#2 this year on habs) and if you want a little better, maybe a #2 is more your thing?
It depends what happens. I could see Orpik on the block as well, so we very well could be looking for another big minute defender.

Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Depending on what else is added, I might be interested. He's a lot like Michalek, but more physical. But I don't think it's enough of an upgrade, and whatever is added would have to be fairly decent as well.
Guy's a warrior. Trust me, very hard to give up, but for Staal, I'd understand.

What does pittsburg need as the +? Would you prefer a young guy with fair upside or a pick?

Old
04-17-2012, 01:33 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
It depends what happens. I could see Orpik on the block as well, so we very well could be looking for another big minute defender.
Why trade Orpik?

Old
04-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj10 View Post
Could we work something out around say Staal for Ryan. I know we have to add but what is the other piece?
Center is our big need, so I don't see it working with Ryan. We're safe at most other positions.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

I always thought a deal like Bobby Ryan for Jordan Staal and Tyler Kennedy could work out. It obviously gives Crosby his winger for the long-term, but also gives Dupuis a permanent place on the third line where he should be.

As for the Ducks, they get their 2nd line Center and also a player who has been a linemate of his, which TK also helps their top-9 depth with possible departures of Hagman to UFA and Selanne to retirement. TK is a RFA too after his deal is up I believe.

I know Kennedy is more than enough to make up the difference between Staal and Ryan (And some will argue Staal possesses more value) but if this is what it takes to get it done, then so be it. Because nobody else on the Ducks I'd really want that wouldn't just bust this deal.

Last edited by Killswitch7187: 04-17-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Grammar Nazi on myself
Old
04-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Boudreau would be talking up Staal to management. He knows better than anyone what Staal brings to the table. He was a huge reason why we got past the Caps in 09. And he's always had nothing but praise for him, mentioning him as a star with Sid/Geno.

Don't blame you for being apprehensive about the contract situations. But if something can be worked out before the trade or shortly thereafter, one more year of Ryan's contract doesn't skew things that badly.
Ryan has three more years left on his contract, and he's the only player in our top six that is signed past next summer. Don't get me wrong, there will be interest, but the window to land Ryan with Staal closed a few months ago.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:39 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Why trade Orpik?
Need to shake things up. He's one of the only core players we could afford to move. His play this year hasn't done him any favors.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:41 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Ryan has three more years left on his contract, and he's the only player in our top six that is signed past next summer. Don't get me wrong, there will be interest, but the window to land Ryan with Staal closed a few months ago.
Yeah that's my fault. Misread capgeek.

If an extension could be worked out, I'd be down to do it. But I certainly understand Anaheim's point of view. On a budget and their franchise players need resigned.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaRider View Post
Would Pittsburgh be interested in Edler?

Both are UFA's after next year.
He's a lot like Letang with more size. And would need a hefty new contract to keep. It would certainly be something to consider.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:44 AM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
He's a lot like Letang with more size. And would need a hefty new contract to keep. It would certainly be something to consider.
There's no way we would get him though. He is Vancouver's best offensive D and what do the Pens have that Vancouver needs?

Old
04-17-2012, 01:45 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Guy's a warrior. Trust me, very hard to give up, but for Staal, I'd understand.

What does pittsburg need as the +? Would you prefer a young guy with fair upside or a pick?
Would love to get Eller (or in an ideal world/dreamland Patch), however the Pens would have to add to Staal to get both. Unfortunately other than him, there's not a lot there that jumps out at me. I don't see the Pens going after picks.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:46 AM
LyricalLyricist

Gorges, Weber/Palushaj, 2nd rounder for Staal?

Willing to give up more, just wondering where to start and what fits.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 04-17-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old
04-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Need to shake things up. He's one of the only core players we could afford to move. His play this year hasn't done him any favors.
Yes, but unless there's a much bigger shake up of the blueline, or you're able to move Orpik as part of a bigger trade (say Staal, Orpik + for Weber), then loosing his physicality really really hurts the Pens.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:47 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Staal for Kulemin + Gunnarsson

Old
04-17-2012, 01:56 AM
mpp9

Staal+Orpik for Weber is something I'd do everyday of the week. Doubt Nashville does though.

Old
04-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Staal+Orpik for Weber is something I'd do everyday of the week. Doubt Nashville does though.
Yeah we'd have to add. If we're lucky the add would only be some prospects or our 1st.

Old
04-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Minimalist*

Staal, Tangradi and a 1st and Kesler and a 2nd is yours.

Pretty please?

Old
04-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Quote:
Yeah we'd have to add. If we're lucky the add would only be some prospects or our 1st.
Assuming Staal being from Thunderbay means he would re-sign with the Jets, Byfuglien+ for Staal could work.

Byfuglien + Hainsey for Staal + Martin?

Staal (signable) > Byfuglien > Hainsey (1yr remaining) > Martin (albatross contract)

Old
04-17-2012, 02:37 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Assuming Staal being from Thunderbay means he would re-sign with the Jets, Byfuglien+ for Staal could work.

Staal (signable) > Byfuglien > Hainsey (1yr remaining) > Martin (albatross contract)
No. Honestly am not that interested in big Buf. Bogo.

Old
04-17-2012, 02:46 AM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post

Buff is horrible. So is Martin right now. Dont want any part of Buff

Old
04-17-2012, 02:47 AM
goaliekid11

Staal, Orpik, 1st for Kessel, Macarthur, 3rd?

Old
04-17-2012, 02:51 AM
AmericanRocket91

I would do a Staal for Ryan swap, as long as Staal signed an extension first. Now realistically no one in the league is going to allow Bobby Ryan to play along with Sid. I could see other teams stepping in and offering up a ridiculous package to void any trade involving the Pens & Bobby.

Closed Thread