HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Andrew Shaw collision with Mike Smith (suspended 3 games)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
We wouldn't need to worry so much about protecting goalies if the awkward one's would just stay in their nets. I bet most Phx fans would prefer Smith stay in his net anyway. He is a liability out there.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:25 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
He missed practice, and had a AHL goalie called up. He's obviously faking.
haha. did he embellish the hit or not. answer the question.

If he's hurt fine, but honestly he did more to himself twisting his neck to sell the call then getting "hit" by shaw.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
I would suggest you've never put on skates then, because beer league players do it every week in my league. Face it, he's a reckless player, and he should get 1 or 2 games to caution him to play a little less reckless.
If we suspend players because we don't want them to be "reckless," then let's go ahead and have Torres sit out for a little while too.

Where exactly was Shaw supposed to go? Smith is a huge guy, Shaw is going for the puck and he happens to make contact with Smith once Smith clears the puck away. 2 minute penalty for goalie interference is fair.

A major and a misconduct was already overpunishing Shaw. The facts that...
1. This is apparently a suspendable play while Shea Weber's cheap garbage isn't, and
2. The NHL appears to be waiting for an injury report on Smith, as opposed to judging the actual hit in question
... are making the league's disciplinary system look even more silly than it already did.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:45 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
I would suggest you've never put on skates then, because beer league players do it every week in my league. Face it, he's a reckless player, and he should get 1 or 2 games to caution him to play a little less reckless.
No he's not, if you've watched him play for more than 2 games you'd know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueren View Post
It's the same mental giants who think Daniel Sedin was faking it when Duncan Keith tried to take off his head. They just aren't that bright.
Goalie's don't expect to get a blindsided headshot and so he was completely unprepared for the hit; his reaction was completely justified. Wtf was Shaw thinking anyways...
Oh come on...don't even gimme that ****.

D. Sedin has been out since the hit. Smith got back up on his feet and finished the game. You can't even try to compare the situations.

No Hawks fan thought that Daniel was faking, so get the **** out of here with that garbage. Keith clearly targeted his head. Shaw nudged Smith and he threw his gear, did a 720, and started holding his head where someone who really was hurt would've gone down like a pile of bricks.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Happyhary9

This is what I hate about Shanny justice. Lets just say Smith is out and he suspends Shaw for a game. So Shaw got tossed already and miss half a game plus the game suspension. So Shaw who was making a hockey play and tries to avoid contact gets a game and a half.

Now Weber gets to grab a guys head and slam his face into the boards at the end of a game but since no injury its all good. Shanny has to go the actual act has to weigh more the decision then if a guy is hurt or not.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Teemu

Shanahan may also be delaying the result until he finishes up the Pens-Flyers hearings. Taking all of his lumps at once.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Coaches would like to know who is going to be available to play. Shany can get off the golf course and get his job done.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Coaches would like to know who is going to be available to play. Shany can get off the golf course and get his job done.
No doubt, they had 2 days off and plenty of time to decide this. If they really are waiting on Smith that is a joke, why is Keith playing if they are going to wait on possible injury time?

Old
04-16-2012, 11:21 PM
theYman
Backboard #8 realgud

Yeah Shaw did make contact but it was a glancing blow.
Get well soon Smith.
Dude it's pretty common knowledge goalies almost always exaggerate stuff in this league.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
ducky

A "glancing blow"

Old
04-16-2012, 11:40 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhary9 View Post
So Shaw who was making a hockey play and tries to avoid contact gets a game and a half.
So a hockey play is steam rolling a defenseless goalie? What league do you watch again?
Tries to avoid contact? Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:41 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
A "glancing blow"

we must have different definitions of glancing...

mine - the real one

and yours - the wrong one

he did glance his head, it was a head shot no doubt, but it was hardly the sniped enduced flop that Smith pathetically made it out to be

Old
04-16-2012, 11:43 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
we must have different definitions of glancing...

mine - the real one

and yours - the wrong one

he did glance his head, it was a head shot no doubt, but it was hardly the sniped enduced flop that Smith pathetically made it out to be
Yours-DREAM
Ours-Reality

Old
04-16-2012, 11:51 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Yours-DREAM
Ours-Reality

you are like a one hit wonder now.....

come on Billy Ray Cyrus...you gotta come up with something different then that

Old
04-16-2012, 11:56 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
you are like a one hit wonder now.....

come on Billy Ray Cyrus...you gotta come up with something different then that
Lol. It's all I had. I'll DREAM up some new ones tonight. Don't wanna let you down.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:58 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Lol. It's all I had. I'll DREAM up some new ones tonight. Don't wanna let you down.
I am going to change my name to PolishNightmare.....so good luck with coming up with something funny to say to that....errrr wait a sec...

Old
04-16-2012, 11:59 PM
danmcn12
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
This is crap- I feel like the team should have at least a day's notice on whether or not he will be out.
It would be a better punishment if they had less time.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Happyhary9

Quote:
So a hockey play is steam rolling a defenseless goalie? What league do you watch again?
Tries to avoid contact? Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight.
Smith is playing the puck and Shaw's coming hard to try and make a play. Was is a little reckless yes but this is playoff hockey he was trying to make a big time play. Sorry if Smith is hurt but I don't blame Shaw for trying to make a play. If you really think that play is suspension worthy...

On a side note (while I don't want checks to their heads) contact should happen to goalies if they want to come out and play the puck like a skater. Never liked the fact that goalies can come out and play the puck like a skater but you can't touch them.

Last edited by Moo: 04-17-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old
04-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I'm sure all of the people who hate goalies playing the puck would change their tune if they Smith playing for them.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:54 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
I'm sure all of the people who hate goalies playing the puck would change their tune if they Smith playing for them.
What does that have to do with anything? People in general would like any player on their team... because they're on their team. The issue is whether you think Shaw was dirty or Smith put himself in a bad position.

The blatant embellishment aside from Smith. Its not like this is the first time he's done this (set a pick for himself), it actually quite common and its starting to irritate some people.

I for one am tired of goalies, not just Smith, that take puck possession and turn there backs especially behind the net when opposing players are coming. What is a player supposed to do? He can't hit him, go for his stick? he can't because smith is blocking the whole back net and if the player touches him hes going to flop.

Now you see the predicament, goalies have every reason to flop when they're touched because they technically can't be touched yet can go anywhere on the ice, its actually kind of absurd.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:57 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
What does that have to do with anything? People in general would like any player on their team... because they're on their team. The issue is whether you think Shaw was dirty or Smith put himself in a bad position.

The blatant embellishment aside from Smith. Its not like this is the first time he's done this (set a pick for himself), it actually quite common and its starting to irritate some people.

I for one am tired of goalies, not just Smith, that take puck possession and turn there backs especially behind the net when opposing players are coming. What is a player supposed to do? He can't hit him, go for his stick? he can't because smith is blocking the whole back net and if the player touches him hes going to flop.

Now you see the predicament, goalies have every reason to flop when they're touched because they technically can't be touched yet can go anywhere on the ice, its actually kind of absurd.
Anywhere on the ice huh? That damn trapezoid rule has been lying to me the whole time!

Old
04-17-2012, 03:52 AM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by theYman View Post
Yeah Shaw did make contact but it was a glancing blow.
Get well soon Smith.
Dude it's pretty common knowledge goalies almost always exaggerate stuff in this league.
So Miller faked it?

Shanny definitely made the right decision not to suspend Lucic than.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Illinihockey

Its absurd 10 hours before the game and the Hawks don't know if Shaw will play or not.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:06 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
To every Pheonix fan, you have my condolences. I can't even fathom if this ever happened to Lundqvist. You CANNOT make contact with a goalie like that. Especially shoulder to head! 7 games minimum IMO. This is one thing the league really has to put their foot down on. Goalies are like the medics of wars, you don't harm them.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:09 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
When did Tippett say this? It was just reported that Smith didn't practice today.
My mistake -- it was Smith that said this, not Tippett.

Closed Thread