HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

USHL Playoff Matchups/Predictions

Old
04-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Edges7

vCash: 500
USHL Playoff Matchups/Predictions

For the 5 of us here who care:

USHL Clark Cup Playoffs – First Round

Western Conference

#3 Waterloo Black Hawks vs. #6 Tri-City Storm

Game 1: Monday, April 16th, 7:05 PM – Tri-City @ Waterloo

Game 2: Tuesday, April 17th, 7:05 PM – Tri-City @ Waterloo

Game 3: Wednesday, April 18th, 7:05 PM – Tri-City @ Waterloo**

All games played at Young Arena in Waterloo, Iowa

#4 Fargo Force vs. #5 Sioux City Musketeers

Game 1: Monday, April 16th, 7:05 PM – Sioux City @ Fargo

Game 2: Tuesday, April 17th, 7:05 PM – Sioux City @ Fargo

Game 3: Wednesday, April 18th, 7:05 PM – Sioux City @ Fargo**

All games played at Scheels Arena in Fargo, North Dakota

Quick predictions: Fargo in 3, Waterloo in 2.

Eastern Conference

#3 Dubuque Fighting Saints vs. #6 Team USA

Game 1: Monday, April 16th, 7:05 PM – Team USA @ Dubuque

Game 2: Tuesday, April 17th, 7:05 PM – Team USA @ Dubuque

Game 3: Wednesday, April 18th, 7:05 PM – Team USA @ Dubuque**

All games played at the Mystique Community Ice Center in Dubuque, Iowa

#4 Youngstown Phantoms vs. #5 Cedar Rapids RoughRiders

Game 1: Monday, April 16th, 7:15 PM – Cedar Rapids @ Youngstown

Game 2: Tuesday, April 17th, 7:15 PM – Cedar Rapids @ Youngstown

Game 3: Wednesday, April 18th, 7:15 PM – Cedar Rapids @ Youngstown**

All games played at the Covelli Centre in Youngstown, Ohio

Quick Predictions: Dubuque in 2 (just a better team) Youngstown can pull it off in three because they may get a travel win here. CR's goaltending is much better, though. This came down to a coin flip and the Phantoms won the toss and elected to move on.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:04 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Again, the USHL scheduling is so piss poor for the playoffs, it's laughable. A bunch of these teams potentially playing 5 games in 6 nights? Completely. Moronic.

I like Tri-City and what they are doing, but they can't hold off Waterloo's fire power. Waterloo in 2, by at least 2 every game.

Really pulling for Sioux City. Fargo has decided to only go with three lines(Farley-Chyzyk-Hargrove, Gust-Guertler-Iafallo, Brodz-Arentz-One of Goff/Stopskopf). Meaning they are setting themselves up for failure in the second round by running their dogs into the ground, if they even make it there. Of course, this probably means a kid like Dzhakov, who busts his ass on every shift, has a crap top of skill and isn't afraid to fight, will be back to getting a shift or two in every game. HOPING Sioux City wins, but I think Fargo takes it in 3.

Dubuque Vs Team USA - Dubuque in 2. Nuff said.

CR Vs Youngstown - This is a serious I think is close in 3. I like a lot of the players on CR like Ortega, Kravchenko and Youngstown has some offensive talent as well. I'll go with YTown in 3 in all 1 goal games.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Waterloo in two games
-I think Adam Wilcox can steal a three-game series, but this is the worst possible matchup for the Storm. Waterloo went 3-1-0 in four regular season games against Tri-City this season (undefeated at home). The Blackhawks will be too strong for TC on that olympic sheet of ice.

Fargo in three games
-This one could really go either way. Two of the most inconsistent teams in the USHL. Some nights both look like they could play with the big dogs, other nights they look absolutely terrible. Fargo is at home for all three games, but SC went 5-3-0 in eight games against the Force in the regular season. I think Fargo is a deeeper team, and better coached. Matt Skoff could steal this series, though. He shutout Fargo twice in the regular season.

Dubuque in two games
-I don't see the U-17's putting up much of a fight at all. Saints were 2-0-0 in two games against the U-17's. I like Dubuque a lot, and I think they are one of the few teams in the east that can beat Green Bay in a five-game series.

Youngstown in three games
-Like the SC/Fargo series, I think this one could go either way as well. I don't follow Youngstown very well, but they really struggled down the stretch due to illness (team was hit hard by mono). I think Youngstown (like Fargo) is a deeper team than CR, but I won't be surprised at all if the Roughriders win this series.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I think Fargo is a deeeper team, and better coached.
Rolling three lines with 5 (possibly) games in 6 days...

Mixing up your defensive pairings right before the playoffs...

Good coaching? Not sure if serious.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Rolling three lines with 5 (possibly) games in 6 days...

Mixing up your defensive pairings right before the playoffs...

Good coaching? Not sure if serious.
LOL. Like clockwork. How did I know you were going to highlight that sentence?

I just don't have much faith in SC's head coach. Either do most SC fans, from what I've read.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
LOL. Like clockwork. How did I know you were going to highlight that sentence?

I just don't have much faith in SC's head coach. Either do most SC fans, from what I've read.
It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that going three lines in the playoffs is a god awful idea. Add in the terrible USHL scheduling and how the schedule itself runs these kids into the ground, with four lines. Farley has a hard enough time in regular season games, with four lines rolling, keeping fuel in the tank at the end of games.

Who knows, maybe it's some master plan to run 3 lines in the first series, have them all winded like iditarod sled dogs, then play a physical team like Lincoln(on the road of course) with 4 lines, with only the fourth line being rested. Sounds like a recipe for success to me!

I don't know much about SC's coach, but I do know SC isn't a very good team. To even be in the playoffs should be considered an accomplishment.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that going three lines in the playoffs is a god awful idea. Add in the terrible USHL scheduling and how the schedule itself runs these kids into the ground, with four lines. Farley has a hard enough time in regular season games, with four lines rolling, keeping fuel in the tank at the end of games.
I agree. It sounds like a very odd strategy to me, but I'm not a coach. Marks must think it will work. Sets them up to be a very tired club if they can get to the second round.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Edges7

Quote:
CR Vs Youngstown - This is a serious I think is close in 3. I like a lot of the players on CR like Ortega, Kravchenko and Youngstown has some offensive talent as well. I'll go with YTown in 3 in all 1 goal games.
This was the toughie of the bunch. OConnor really does have to step up and, along with Ambrosia, lead this team out of the first round.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Edges7

Quote:
I agree. It sounds like a very odd strategy to me, but I'm not a coach. Marks must think it will work. Sets them up to be a very tired club if they can get to the second round.
How did they look this weekend in their two losses against Lincoln? Games read pretty close on the gamesheet.

I don't see how any team in the West prevails over GreenBay.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:23 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
This was the toughie of the bunch. OConnor really does have to step up and, along with Ambrosia, lead this team out of the first round.
By far the closest series to me.

The next closes series will be Indy/DBQ in round 2.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:27 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
How did they look this weekend in their two losses against Lincoln? Games read pretty close on the gamesheet.
They looked sloppy as hell on Saturday. Didn't generate much of anything on offense. Lone goal was a Farley breakaway. Lincoln was physical all game and the Fargo forwards were playing scared(and disorganized). Lincoln's first goal was pretty terrible goaltending though. Zero angle and Lettieri just literally threw it on goal. For some reason Reed Peters felt the need to stack the pads against the post on a no-angle shot and it went in off his skates. Johnson's goal was pretty. I know you ride him for being an "Uncle's boy" but he's got a good deal of skill.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Edges7

Quote:
I know you ride him for being an "Uncle's boy" but he's got a good deal of skill.
My big issue is that he should not have been at Prospects. That was not just him but any other non draft eligible player shouldn't have been there at all. Given the season that J. Hanson was having to that point, his exclusion to LJ's inclusion was puzzling.

I've seen Lincoln play a handful of games live and I caught a couple more on FAST. He found himself in a fortunate situation this year in which his ice wasn't going to be limited and he got to ride along with some talented players in Roy and your old friend Shine who really did impress me this year. He settled down and really focused on playing hockey, which is what he should have done last year.

is LJ talented? Yes he is. I have nothing against his skills. My point was that, good game/bad game, he wasn't going to suffer for ice. That's all. Any other 16/17 year old first year USHL old player should be so fortunate, eh? The team certainly doesn't seem any worse for wear for it, which, when you get right down to it is what really matters..

I only got to one game in the Icebox this season, which is my favorite USHL barn. They have a pulled pork "cue" there to die for and when it's washed down with the beer of my KC youth, Bud on tap, life just doesn't get any better. Right, Yeti?

Overall, the Stars seem to have an issue with center that none of the other teams seem to exploit. Most of their forwards, centers especially, all have turnover/puck protection issues and none of them do very well on faceoffs, One game, they were under 20% with a couple of very ugly "walks". They tend to throw the puck around on D, too but that same D blocks shots and does a decent physical job down low which, given the inconsistency of their goalies, they have to be.

It's pick 'em to me between the Stars and Omaha, which I believe will be the conference matchup, but I'd be very surprised if either prevailed over any of the three teams I could see coming out of the East.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:13 AM
herbst20

Here is a note about Cedar Rapids. They will be skating short the rest of the way. They have 4 players out for the year with injuries. Tanner Pond.....Undisclosed Injury but I can tell you it is SERIOUS. Andrew Oglevie (Notre Dame) Broken Collarbone. Greg Amlong (UMass-Lowell) Collarbone, and Jack Rowe (North Dakota) not quite on the exact injury but he had his left arm in a sling last time I saw him.

The last couple games the Captain, Stu Wilson has been double shifting.

Waterloo in 2

Force in 3

Saints in 2 especially since Louis has been called up to the U18 team because Matteau was deemed ineligible to play in the tournament.

Youngstown in 3. A good matchup of similar style teams, but Youngstown has had CR's number this year.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Edges7

Quote:
They looked sloppy as hell on Saturday. Didn't generate much of anything on offense. Lone goal was a Farley breakaway.
Fargo has been a tale of two teams this season. The one you describe above and then the other one that has come out both absolutely flying and absolutely in your face.

Thief River's favorite son, The Big Z, is quite capable of keeping the other team off of the scoreboard. So, who knows?

Old
04-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
Here is a note about Cedar Rapids. They will be skating short the rest of the way. They have 4 players out for the year with injuries. Tanner Pond.....Undisclosed Injury but I can tell you it is SERIOUS. Andrew Oglevie (Notre Dame) Broken Collarbone. Greg Amlong (UMass-Lowell) Collarbone, and Jack Rowe (North Dakota) not quite on the exact injury but he had his left arm in a sling last time I saw him.

The last couple games the Captain, Stu Wilson has been double shifting.

Waterloo in 2

Force in 3

Saints in 2 especially since Louis has been called up to the U18 team because Matteau was deemed ineligible to play in the tournament.

Youngstown in 3. A good matchup of similar style teams, but Youngstown has had CR's number this year.
Thanks for the info and yea, that was some tough breaks to your roster.

Carlson will still have that team ready to go.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:22 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Thief River's favorite son, The Big Z, is quite capable of keeping the other team off of the scoreboard. So, who knows?
He's also got a habit of letting in a softy and falling completely apart.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
My big issue is that he should not have been at Prospects. That was not just him but any other non draft eligible player shouldn't have been there at all. Given the season that J. Hanson was having to that point, his exclusion to LJ's inclusion was puzzling.

I've seen Lincoln play a handful of games live and I caught a couple more on FAST. He found himself in a fortunate situation this year in which his ice wasn't going to be limited and he got to ride along with some talented players in Roy and your old friend Shine who really did impress me this year. He settled down and really focused on playing hockey, which is what he should have done last year.

is LJ talented? Yes he is. I have nothing against his skills. My point was that, good game/bad game, he wasn't going to suffer for ice. That's all. Any other 16/17 year old first year USHL old player should be so fortunate, eh? The team certainly doesn't seem any worse for wear for it, which, when you get right down to it is what really matters..

I only got to one game in the Icebox this season, which is my favorite USHL barn. They have a pulled pork "cue" there to die for and when it's washed down with the beer of my KC youth, Bud on tap, life just doesn't get any better. Right, Yeti?

Overall, the Stars seem to have an issue with center that none of the other teams seem to exploit. Most of their forwards, centers especially, all have turnover/puck protection issues and none of them do very well on faceoffs, One game, they were under 20% with a couple of very ugly "walks". They tend to throw the puck around on D, too but that same D blocks shots and does a decent physical job down low which, given the inconsistency of their goalies, they have to be.

It's pick 'em to me between the Stars and Omaha, which I believe will be the conference matchup, but I'd be very surprised if either prevailed over any of the three teams I could see coming out of the East.
All good points.

I definitely think Jared Hanson deserved to be at the Prospects game.....not saying that LJ didn't. I really like the intangibles Hanson brings to the table. Gritty, gutsy kid who has a knack for scoring big goals in big games. CC was lucky to get him.

Fargo looked ok on Friday at the IceBox. The Stars really crashed the net hard early on and got into Gothberg's head. You could see him complaining to referee Tommy Albindia all night. Gave up a ton of rebounds that night. He could have played better, but it's not like he was horrible either. Charles Williams made a few big save that probably won the game.

I don't know what it is about that Guertler kid, but he is one cocky SOB. Probably one of those players I'd love to have on my team, but the kid rubs me the wrong way with all the extracurricular stuff he does after the whistle. Farley does the same things, but not as bad as Guertler.

I really like Wade. Big, physical kid. Not afraid of some of the big guys on the Stars. Plays the body really well. Very rarely see him out of position.

Are you sure you had Bud on tap, Edges? It has always been Miller products at the IceBox. Myself, I enjoy a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. Good stuff. I've heard the pulled pork que sandwich is good, but I've never had it. I'll have to check it out.

If Charles Williams can play well in the second and third rounds, I think the Stars can get to the finals. Goaltending has been the issue all season long. Teichroeb seemed to lose his confidence after the x-mas break. Lincoln really never had a true #1 goaltender until recently. Both are '92's (overagers next season), and both are uncommitted, so it will be interesting to see which goaltender the Stars protect for 2012-13.

PK wasn't all that great either, and that seems to be improved. Stars are a better team than Omaha 5-on-5, but the Lancers have killed Lincoln on the PP. If the Stars can play physical and smart (tough to do with this bunch), they could go far. We'll see.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:

I don't know what it is about that Guertler kid, but he is one cocky SOB. Probably one of those players I'd love to have on my team, but the kid rubs me the wrong way with all the extracurricular stuff he does after the whistle. Farley does the same things, but not as bad as Guertler.

I really like Wade. Big, physical kid. Not afraid of some of the big guys on the Stars. Plays the body really well. Very rarely see him out of position.
The thing with Guertler is...he's VERY talented in terms of actual hockey talent but he has a complete ****ing two cent brain. Skates like the wind, great hands in traffic, above average shooting...but can't play the actual sport with an ounce of the skill in a game situation. He hides behind his birdcage with all his whacks, slashes and facewashes after the whistle. I'm surprised there's not a bounty on his head to be honest as he does this in every game against every team.

Wade's a linebacker. Good to see that you notice his positioning is on key as well as that was his big question mark last year and I've made note at how great it is this season as well. Just wish the kid would play meaner after the whistle.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Edges7

Quote:
He's also got a habit of letting in a softy and falling completely apart.
Any at this age and level, e.g. Gilles earlier this year against Green Bay, when he was yanked with about 3 minutes left in the game after letting in a fourth softie.

There's a clue in there about that team's recent issue about a rebellious locker room.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Big fan of his game and Wade's. Not so much Cooper. Big fan of Farley's as well. Farley reminds me a bit of the Flyers' Briere.

Quote:
Are you sure you had Bud on tap, Edges? It has always been Miller products at the IceBox. Myself, I enjoy a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. Good stuff. I've heard the pulled pork que sandwich is good, but I've never had it. I'll have to check it out.
Mea culpa...PBR on tap is what it is. My better drinking days are long behind me. I've bent an elbow or three dozen back in the day with McGroarty at the Chicago Prospects deals.

Quote:
If Charles Williams can play well in the second and third rounds, I think the Stars can get to the finals. Goaltending has been the issue all season long. Teichroeb seemed to lose his confidence after the x-mas break. Lincoln really never had a true #1 goaltender until recently. Both are '92's (overagers next season), and both are uncommitted, so it will be interesting to see which goaltender the Stars protect for 2012-13.
Your boy CJ was all over the phones deadline week trying to get one of three goalies, including one he had cut earlier.

Quote:
PK wasn't all that great either, and that seems to be improved. Stars are a better team than Omaha 5-on-5, but the Lancers have killed Lincoln on the PP. If the Stars can play physical and smart (tough to do with this bunch), they could go far. We'll see.
IIRC, Hamburg killed you in two games this year from the same spot. I saw the second and heard about the first.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

Do some teams get byes to the next round? I didn't see Green Bay listed and they had the best record in the League. Omaha is usualy a playoff team too.

Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:10 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivermenfan91 View Post
Do some teams get byes to the next round? I didn't see Green Bay listed and they had the best record in the League. Omaha is usualy a playoff team too.
Top two teams in the Conference get a bye. Second round starts this weekend(yes, just two days after the first round ends).

Old
04-16-2012, 04:24 PM
sinbin31

Quote:
There's a clue in there about that team's recent issue about a rebellious locker room.
[/QUOTE]

Curious...what team are you referring to? Rebellious locker room?

sinbin31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin31 View Post
Curious...what team are you referring to? Rebellious locker room?
A top seeded team in the East fired its coach a week before the season ended and it wasn't Green Bay.

No surprises last night.

Ambrosia two goals. This was a make or break year for him in re his NCAA deal.

Last edited by Edges7: 04-17-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old
04-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Edges7

Quote:
By far the closest series to me.

The next closes series will be Indy/DBQ in round 2.
All sweeps. The only one that really surprised me was Youngstown. In the end CR just didn't have the "IT" factor to overcome an 11 hour drive and pressure hockey.

(rest edited out as bad information)

Last edited by Edges7: 04-18-2012 at 09:40 AM.