HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bylsma's Coaching Style

Old
04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
We won a Cup changing coaches during the season though.

I don't think Bylsma is going anywhere. The team is too talented to play bad enough for him to get fired in the regular season. The seat will get a lot hotter when we lose this series and another early playoff exit next year will likely get him canned. I don't think it will happen before then.
If ownership feels this way, that Bylsma will get another good regular season out of the team and then do the playoff early exit again, then why would they waste a year of having Crosby and Malkin on the 'hope' that they're wrong, in the hope that Bylsma will learn to adjust, to use his stars more properly, and to instill a sense of structure and discipline that diminishes further each day we are removed from June 2009. I'm not sure if they do feel that way, but IMO it would be pretty hard for them not to.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:17 AM
Master Shake

Dan B needs to go nuclear on the team just one time. Not all the time. Just one real good freak session to maybe jolt the team. Either that or Mario does it

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Dan B needs to go nuclear on the team just one time. Not all the time. Just one real good freak session to maybe jolt the team. Either that or Mario does it
If the Pens were playing listless and dull I wouldn't mind some yelling but it goes way beyond that. They're just flat out sloppy and the Flyers are exploiting that.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:05 AM
JTG

Yeah...this team doesn't need a spark. What this team actually needs is the opposite. THey need to settle down and gain some composure.

The team is losing this series because of boneheaded hockey. They all know better, and I'm positive they all know what they are doing wrong. They don't need a coach in their ear telling them how bad they've sucked.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah...this team doesn't need a spark. What this team actually needs is the opposite. THey need to settle down and gain some composure.

The team is losing this series because of boneheaded hockey. They all know better, and I'm positive they all know what they are doing wrong. They don't need a coach in their ear telling them how bad they've sucked.
that's why I don't actually hate the off day yesterday

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Gustavo Fring

Listening to some of the more in depth commentary I have been hearing two of the same things across the board.

The stretch pass from the D to the forward up near center ice is not working anymore, and the D is not able to cover the forechecker as quickly as they have before on the dump ins. So basically most of the time the latter helps to cancel out the former.

What adjustment by Bylsma could be made there, other than faster defensmen?

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:01 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Listening to some of the more in depth commentary I have been hearing two of the same things across the board.

The stretch pass from the D to the forward up near center ice is not working anymore, and the D is not able to cover the forechecker as quickly as they have before on the dump ins. So basically most of the time the latter helps to cancel out the former.

What adjustment by Bylsma could be made there, other than faster defensmen?
Not condemning yourself to one type of breakout would help. As far as dump ins and loose pucks, the D is either too slow, soft, or not working hard enough. No one wants to hear it but the whole team in general is not working hard enough.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:28 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
that's why I don't actually hate the off day yesterday
They may not have skated, and just had classroom sessions? Who knows. And bag skating them wouldn't have helped matters at all.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Yah blowing up at this team will do nothing at this point. The blowup should've come after game 2, if at all. Timing is everything. You blow up at the wrong time and all you do is deflate what ego your players have left. Plus players aren't dumb. They know how coaches think; this isn't Hollywood where the dumb players get all motivated because someone is yelling at them.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:43 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Anyone see his quotes today? He makes it so hard to hate him. Even if he doesn't understand zone defense.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Anyone see his quotes today? He makes it so hard to hate him. Even if he doesn't understand zone defense.
Not hard at all really. The whole quiet, zen-like facade wore off for me in early 09-10.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Not hard at all really. The whole quiet, zen-like facade wore off for me in early 09-10.
Totally. This one's over folks. Hopefully, we'll have a new coach by the draft. The excuses need to stop. Three years in a row of losing in terrible fashion (the no-show in game 7 vs. Montreal, blowing a 3-1 series lead vs. Tampa and now getting fisted by the Flyers in a no-contest series).

It's time for change.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
This team isn't playing zone defense. I think that's where the disconnect is.

If they were, guys wouldn't be sitting on the back door wide opened.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Okay then what is the fix? I'm not saying Bylsma needs to yell at them, but clearly just saying "we need to get to our game" over and over does nothing. It shows no resolve or willingness to make difficult changes.

And yes they are losing because of boneheaded hockey but when it's consistent across the board for a while something has to give. Make a lineup change, go to man on man bc clearly they aren't getting the zone defense when guys are wide open. Do something.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Bylsma go. Losing to Philly doesn't bother me, but the fashion of it is bothersome.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:53 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Okay then what is the fix? I'm not saying Bylsma needs to yell at them, but clearly just saying "we need to get to our game" over and over does nothing. It shows no resolve or willingness to make difficult changes.

And yes they are losing because of boneheaded hockey but when it's consistent across the board for a while something has to give. Make a lineup change, go to man on man bc clearly they aren't getting the zone defense when guys are wide open. Do something.
I mean, changes need made, but this isn't something that has been around all season long. It's been happening for 3 games. This team went what? 25-7 or something in the last 32 games? I wouldn't be real quick to tweak anything either if I were the coaching staff.

The things going wrong though aren't system, IMO. They are just, as I said, boneheaded plays - losing composure, not even doing simple things like getting pucks in deep and picking up men on the back door, taking lazy, stupid penalties. The problems I'm seeing aren't something that's deep rooted. They are elementary. That failed dump by Dupuis was the series in a nutshell for me. That's the **** that's happening. We no longer have a foot to shoot. It's a bloody, mangled mess where a foot used to be.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I mean, changes need made, but this isn't something that has been around all season long. It's been happening for 3 games. This team went what? 25-7 or something in the last 32 games? I wouldn't be real quick to tweak anything either if I were the coaching staff.

The things going wrong though aren't system, IMO. They are just, as I said, boneheaded plays - losing composure, not even doing simple things like getting pucks in deep and picking up men on the back door, taking lazy, stupid penalties. The problems I'm seeing aren't something that's deep rooted. They are elementary. That failed dump by Dupuis was the series in a nutshell for me. That's the **** that's happening. We no longer have a foot to shoot. It's a bloody, mangled mess where a foot used to be.
That's a fair analysis, but I think some of that comes back to coaching. It's one thing to not panic or flip out on your team, it's another to look dead, shocked, and uninspired in interviews, when asked about making changes, etc. I mean it's taking 3 suspensions to make any sort of lineup changes.

I guess I'm just wondering if some of these boneheaded plays are more to do with lazy habits developed over the last month or so. I mean ever since Sid came back they've been spotty defensively. Now that's getting magnified in the playoffs. I wonder how much Dan emphasized correcting that early on.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I mean ever since Sid came back they've been spotty defensively. Now that's getting magnified in the playoffs. I wonder how much Dan emphasized correcting that early on.
The box scores indicate a definitive answer haha.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:

The breakout is a legit concern. Getting Malkin away from Couturier is also a concern, until you realize that Grossman and Cobourn are not Weber and Suter, and and an NHL MVP and former Conn Smyth winner should not be frustrated by someone who's not allowed to drink.

Somehow that translates to our poor "zone defense", which is the biggest myth on this board. Bad D personnel is bad D personnel. Being weak on the puck is being weak on the puck. Being afraid of your own shadow is being afraid of your own shadow. Bad goaltending is bad goaltending. Not being able to clear the zone when you're two feet from the blue line is not being able to clear the zone when you're two feet from the blue.

Hate to repeat myself, but I hope people catch my drift.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:37 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
This team isn't playing zone defense. I think that's where the disconnect is.

If they were, guys wouldn't be sitting on the back door wide opened.
I know they aren't. That's why I said he doesn't understand it.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Or maybe you are wrong and coaching does in fact matter.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I would agree with this assessment.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
He's still a young coach. He already won the ultimate prize so it may be hard for him to change things up because it was successful already, but he will learn and hopefully adapt.

I wouldn't replace him with any available coach. Period. This 3 game stretch shouldn't define the rest of his coaching career.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:26 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
The breakout is a legit concern. Getting Malkin away from Couturier is also a concern, until you realize that Grossman and Cobourn are not Weber and Suter, and and an NHL MVP and former Conn Smyth winner should not be frustrated by someone who's not allowed to drink.

Somehow that translates to our poor "zone defense", which is the biggest myth on this board. Bad D personnel is bad D personnel. Being weak on the puck is being weak on the puck. Being afraid of your own shadow is being afraid of your own shadow. Bad goaltending is bad goaltending. Not being able to clear the zone when you're two feet from the blue line is not being able to clear the zone when you're two feet from the blue.

I don't personally think Couturier is the one stopping Malkin. I think Geno is just on a cold streak. I cannot possibly believe that the Geno we just saw this entire regular season is being kept in check by an 18 year old rookie who isn't as big, strong, nor fast as Geno. Geno is in a slump...that's part of the playoffs. The team's that win typically have players who hit their strides at the exact right time. Maybe Geno used up all his juice? I have no idea. I just don't believe it's as much Couturier as people say (though Couturier has a very great, long career ahead of him...love his poise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
No one said coaching doesn't matter. People are saying that coaching isn't the main problem, and I think they are partly true. Changes do need to be made though. Full system changes don't need to be made...just tweaks. Give the Flyers something they haven't seen. Throw a few wrinkles into the game plan. They clearly have studied our system and know it just as well as we know it because they are everywhere we are. It looks like the Patriots-Steelers games in the early 2000's.

In all honesty, I'm completely and utterly shocked how little time 87 and 71 have spent together. Put them together, let Staal have Sullivan and Dupuis. I personally believe the 3C model is diluting our talent on each line, and playing a team like Philly who can tout the same depth (if not better) than we have...maybe it's time to stack 2 lines and just run them all game with a splattering of 3rd and 4th line throughout the game.

Fact is, this team is getting killed by three things - shorthanded goals, which are inexcusable, an anemic powerplay, and horribly timed penalties which puts a lethal PP to work. Special teams are sinking our ship. I don't know the numbers, but I'd guess that even strength scoring in this series is damn near identical.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
He's still a young coach. He already won the ultimate prize so it may be hard for him to change things up because it was successful already, but he will learn and hopefully adapt.

I wouldn't replace him with any available coach. Period. This 3 game stretch shouldn't define the rest of his coaching career.
It's not a three game stretch however. His home playoff record is abysmal. He lost crucial games on home ice during the cup run as well.

He will be a good coach, heck he is quality now. But, this team needs to win now. Not in a year. Not in a couple seasons. Now.

I don't think Dan Bylsma's learning curve to becoming a great NHL coach fits the route this team needs to take anymore.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote