HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Interesting quote on Carkner

Old
04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Teddie1056

vCash: 500
Interesting quote on Carkner

Per ESPN:

"Carkner's contribution, however brief, wasn't lost on his teammates.

'We wanted to be more physical as a group,' said rugged forward Chris Neil, who also fought Boyle before scoring the OT winner. 'We came out and set the tone, and it paid off for us. Matt came out and did what he had to do and you can't say enough about it.'

'You need to play tough out there and we did that as a group.'"

Teddie1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Wow Ottawa needs a blanky. How cute.....

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
No they respect what their teammate did unlike the passive fans in this rom atheletes love teammates who fight

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
No they respect what their teammate did unlike the passive fans in this rom atheletes love teammates who fight
Respect there teammate who came out and gooned it up? I would be embarassed if the Rangers came out and said they were proud of Hagelin.

Tough, yes. Fighting, yes. Acts of thuggery, no.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Agent View Post
Respect there teammate who came out and gooned it up? I would be embarassed if the Rangers came out and said they were proud of Hagelin.

Tough, yes. Fighting, yes. Acts of thuggery, no.
Haglin is a favorite of mine what he did was heat of the moment and not that bad.. Carkner fought Boyle who is 6'ft 5 wasn't like he jumped gaborik .. He set the tone and the rangers didn't keep up, how many times has prust set the tone

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:51 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Regardless of respect or right or wrong, Ottawa was definitely awake after Carkner did what he did.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Sens Rule

Boyle is KILLING us despite Carkner and Neil fighting him in Game 2.

Carkner is an awesome person and a great teammate if you are an Ottawa fan.

Hagelin clearly did not want to concuss one of his favorite players either.

**** happens... Carkner is awesome... he did something awesome for Ottawa.. Boyle continues to score in each game...

Alfie is fine... Doctors held him out tonight and he is likely back on Wednesday.

All is well in the world.. guys play hard and do what they do. Boyle is killing us... he is amazing. I give him full credit... As I give credit to Carkner for framing game 2. This is an awesome series no matter what! We are lucky as Sens or Rangers fans to get to watch this! Good Luck to you all but I am hoping the Sens win game 4 and make it an even better series... Carkner will dress.. doubt he does much but play straight forward simple hockey.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:03 AM
045NYR

i dont see how sucker punching someone is respectable wether he is 8 feet tall or 4 feet tall. when does Prust sucker punch people? i dont recall any Ranger saying they respected what Boyle did when he rabbit punched Karlsson. i really dont see how it had much of an impact. the Rangers had the lead with not much time left in the third. they sat back and let the Sens come at them. the sucker punch in the opening minutes of the game is what casued ther Rangers to fall asleep in the third?

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:42 AM
eco's bones

Boyle is actually 6'7. This is the best he's ever played. There are a lot of Ranger fans who like to rag on him as a 4th liner. They've been a little quiet the last few days. Brian didn't score at all in last year's playoffs--a 1st round exit via Washington but he nonetheless played very well--got lots and lots of ice time--if I remember he was third among our forwards after Gaborik and Dubinsky--Callahan was injured and didn't play.

I respect Carkner but he's not all that good of a player. A lot of people don't know he spend a number of years in the minors--he's really worked for everything that he's got. Tough as nails. I didn't like his attack on Boyle but understood it. He should have stopped wailing on Brian when he was down--that was the ugly part of that episode.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:20 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
As a fan of the game, I can appreciate what Carkner did.

We have a young star player that gets confronted in the same manner in which Boyle did to Karlson, I sure as hell would want my team to address that specific player early the very next game.

What Carkner did as a teammate strenghthens a teams bond. Some of you may not see it and that's fine, but to act like that has no bearing in the Sens room is being a bit head in the sand.

I liken what happened here to what Rupp did to the Panthers player earlier in the season. Someone did something to our young defenceman, Rupp did pretty much the same thing Carkner did. We loved the response then, we have to at least appreciate the response now.

You can argue the preceeding actions were not of the same level to require the similar responses, but that is not the point, it doesn't matter what YOU think is worth that kind of reply, it's what the Sens feel is the appropriate reply and they felt that Carkners response was just and as a room, I'm sure that they all support him, just as much as the Rangers supported Rupp in the Florida situation.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:01 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
What Carkner did as a teammate strenghthens a teams bond. Some of you may not see it and that's fine, but to act like that has no bearing in the Sens room is being a bit head in the sand.
I get it and I agree with you, but this is the playoffs. Had the Rangers had a functional PP and actually could capitalize with a few goals during a 5 minute freakin' major, the tune that is sung would have been entirely different. Standing up for your teamates is great. Giving the opposing team a 5 minute major during the playoffs is not so great.

The Sens got lucky. Period. Carkner is not being blasted only because the Rangers PP is inept. When Lemiuex smashed Kris Draper face first into the boards, theWings did not do anything that caused themselves a chance to win. They waited. Until the first time the faced them the follwing season. And McCarty lined up opposite Lemieux. ANd proceeded to exract revenge.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
.jdsjdjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I get it and I agree with you, but this is the playoffs. Had the Rangers had a functional PP and actually could capitalize with a few goals during a 5 minute freakin' major, the tune that is sung would have been entirely different. Standing up for your teamates is great. Giving the opposing team a 5 minute major during the playoffs is not so great.

The Sens got lucky. Period. Carkner is not being blasted only because the Rangers PP is inept. When Lemiuex smashed Kris Draper face first into the boards, theWings did not do anything that caused themselves a chance to win. They waited. Until the first time the faced them the follwing season. And McCarty lined up opposite Lemieux. ANd proceeded to exract revenge.
These are the types of penalties players have no issues trying to kill and more often than not, they do a much better job on thse types of kills.

Sometimes, there are good penalties to take and teams are more than happy trying ot kill those off. I believe that in the Senators locker, after the first period was over, to a man they all thanked Carkner for doing what he did.

sometimes, you lose a battle to win the war....then again sometimes you lose a battle AND the war however I think that Carkner did the right thing here regardless of the resulting 5 min. major.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:36 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
As a fan of the game, I can appreciate what Carkner did.

We have a young star player that gets confronted in the same manner in which Boyle did to Karlson, I sure as hell would want my team to address that specific player early the very next game.

I liken what happened here to what Rupp did to the Panthers player earlier in the season. Someone did something to our young defenceman, Rupp did pretty much the same thing Carkner did. We loved the response then, we have to at least appreciate the response now.

You can argue the preceeding actions were not of the same level to require the similar responses, but that is not the point, it doesn't matter what YOU think is worth that kind of reply, it's what the Sens feel is the appropriate reply and they felt that Carkners response was just and as a room, I'm sure that they all support him, just as much as the Rangers supported Rupp in the Florida situation.
As a fan of the game I do not appreciate what carkner did. I respect what Neil did by squaring up with Boyle, not a cheap sucker punch. That is how you make someone answer if you dont like them targeting your young guy. IMO there is no place in the game for what he did again. lets not forget this isnt the first time he has pulled this crap.

the florida situation was different. It wasn't a premeditated cheapshot, it was an immediate heat of the moment response to an actual cheapshot not an after the whistle scrum, and kopecky was square with rupp and ready to fight. he was just completely outmatched.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:11 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

The only effect Carkner had on the game was that Dubi went with him, which affected the Ranger forechecking. It took a couple of fluky bounces to get the game tied late.

Yeah, the Sens think Carkner's a swell teammate. But, his actual impact on the game was simply that he got an important rotation player for the Rangers out of the game.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:19 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The only effect Carkner had on the game was that Dubi went with him, which affected the Ranger forechecking. It took a couple of fluky bounces to get the game tied late.

Yeah, the Sens think Carkner's a swell teammate. But, his actual impact on the game was simply that he got an important rotation player for the Rangers out of the game.
which is very unlikely to happen again, especially since it took some help from the refs to do it in the first place.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:29 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Sometimes, there are good penalties to take and teams are more than happy trying ot kill those off. I believe that in the Senators locker, after the first period was over, to a man they all thanked Carkner for doing what he did.
They would have sang a different tune if they allow several goals and today the series is 3-0.
Quote:
sometimes, you lose a battle to win the war....then again sometimes you lose a battle AND the war however I think that Carkner did the right thing here regardless of the resulting 5 min. major.
Loosing the battle AND the war seems self defeating.

I am not disagreeign with what Carkner did. I am saying that there is a time and a place. and all of the tough talk that the Sens did, was ONLY becuase the Rangers PP could not convert. If the Rangers pop in several goals and the Sens are down 3-0 as of today, no one would have thanked Carkner.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Carkner should have been banished for the rest of the playoffs. There was no honor in what he did. Boyle's baby punches on Karlsson were barely worth 2 minutes.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:12 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Carkner should have been banished for the rest of the playoffs. There was no honor in what he did. Boyle's baby punches on Karlsson were barely worth 2 minutes.
he need not have been banished. But, again, if the Rangers score several goals on that PP and the series is now 3-0, we would not be hearing from the Sens about how much they appreciate what he did.