HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Griffin Reinhart - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2012, 4th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
04-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrcultur View Post
The point is that if he doesn't play a big man game but is instead more of a 2way dman how could he ever go ahead of a 2way dman like dumba or Murray? He shouldn't and probably wont
Because gm's and coaches likes em big. Whether they use it or not. Reinhart uses his size and plays physical at times, but he is not a dominant physical player. That's probably what frustrates those that watch him the most I would say.

But if you compare the three, you arent getting any/much physicality from Murray. Dumba is the most physical, but people worry about his size and the ability to play that game in the nhl. Personally I dont think its much of an issue because Dumba brings so many other things to the table, namely his ability to carry the puck and attack the offensive zone.

Reinhart has the potential to stand up to the rigors of the nhl purely based on his frame. And despite the claims of some, he does use his size in puck battles, in front of the net, and along the boards. He does lay some pretty heavy/big hits too.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:58 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Because gm's and coaches likes em big. Whether they use it or not. Reinhart uses his size and plays physical at times, but he is not a dominant physical player. That's probably what frustrates those that watch him the most I would say.

But if you compare the three, you arent getting any/much physicality from Murray. Dumba is the most physical, but people worry about his size and the ability to play that game in the nhl. Personally I dont think its much of an issue because Dumba brings so many other things to the table, namely his ability to carry the puck and attack the offensive zone.

Reinhart has the potential to stand up to the rigors of the nhl purely based on his frame. And despite the claims of some, he does use his size in puck battles, in front of the net, and along the boards. He does lay some pretty heavy/big hits too.
I agree with all of this. Well said.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:06 AM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Carolina scout and ex-Oil King Bert Marshall was at game one of the Kootenay series. He was being interviewed between periods and said that the Hurricanes would be taking Reinhart given the chance.

I was busy and missed the interview between periods but that is what I was told. I found it strange that he would make such a proclamation. Maybe he was just playing to the home crowd?
I've heard that Reinhart is as high as #2 on some draft boards. There's no harm in the Canes being up-front with their desire to select him at 8/9 because there's a very real possibility he won't be there.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:52 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I've heard that Reinhart is as high as #2 on some draft boards. There's no harm in the Canes being up-front with their desire to select him at 8/9 because there's a very real possibility he won't be there.
He could be that player that gets taken higher than most thought ala Gudbranson or Johansen, two other "big bodies". Size is still a huge currency in the nhl.

Old
04-06-2012, 03:21 PM
countrcultur

Quote:

I agree with you assessment of his play and he does use his size well in the defensive zone, but having watched them all a number of times I would consider him a 2way defenseman and not on the level of dumba or Murray.

As far as standing up to the NHL I think dumba is the most athletic and durable, he has been playing 30 mins a game and plays a fast physical game and has held up very well, better than the other two so I don't see that as a concern. He will be 6 foot or better and over 200 pounds in the NHL.

Dumba will go before reinhart, Murray should too.

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Gotta say, his little brother Sam looks like he may develop into the best of the bros.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:42 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrcultur View Post
I agree with you assessment of his play and he does use his size well in the defensive zone, but having watched them all a number of times I would consider him a 2way defenseman and not on the level of dumba or Murray.

As far as standing up to the NHL I think dumba is the most athletic and durable, he has been playing 30 mins a game and plays a fast physical game and has held up very well, better than the other two so I don't see that as a concern. He will be 6 foot or better and over 200 pounds in the NHL.

Dumba will go before reinhart, Murray should too.
I know you haven't been around here too long, but I think once this draft passes you will learn to not make definite statements, such as the bolded part.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

I've heard of a couple of places where Reinhart is over Dumba and I'm starting to agree with them. I think Dumba goes lower than a lot of people thing he will.

If someone told you last year that Hamilton would be taken 9th and Murphy would be taken 12th, they probably would have been laughed at.

Tedenby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Beakermania*

Saw this on Reinhart come up on twitter.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/04/...ffin-reinhart/

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Reinhart has been my favourite D prospect for this draft. I have this feeling he's gonna end up being the best of the pack in 5 years.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

vCash: 50
"With the 7th pick in the draft, the are happy to select Griffin Reinhart"

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
"With the 7th pick in the draft, the are happy to select Griffin Reinhart"
You forgot the "Congratulations to the Stanley Cup Champions and the Thank Yous to the City of Pittsburgh and the Penguins organization for being such great hosts" part. Never forget that, its mandatory for every team to say, if not the TSN draft special won't last 3 hours.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Big bodied defenseman with good skating ability and questionable intensity. First player I think of is Braydon Coburn. Good comp?

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:37 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
You forgot the "Congratulations to the Stanley Cup Champions and the Thank Yous to the City of Pittsburgh and the Penguins organization for being such great hosts" part. Never forget that, its mandatory for every team to say, if not the TSN draft special won't last 3 hours.
I just puked in my mouth.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:14 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Big bodied defenseman with good skating ability and questionable intensity. First player I think of is Braydon Coburn. Good comp?
For a low-end comparison, it's ok.

Old
04-17-2012, 06:06 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Coburn looks extremely good right now

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:59 PM
dan1el

Reinhart looks like he could be a top 6 pick this year. You can teach skill, but you can't teach size. IMO, better then Dumba. Close with Murray.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:50 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Reinhart looks like he could be a top 6 pick this year. You can teach skill, but you can't teach size. IMO, better then Dumba. Close with Murray.
Lawl

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
How are you gonna teach him to skate as well as Murray and Dumba? Thats not happening.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:38 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
How are you gonna teach him to skate as well as Murray and Dumba? Thats not happening.
He is smarter than both of them. His skating could always improve, and its not like its bad right now anyway.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
He is smarter than both of them. His skating could always improve, and its not like its bad right now anyway.
It certainly can improve, but its never gonna be as elite as theirs is.

And while he's smarter than Dumba, I'm not sure he's got better hockey sense than Murray.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:47 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Lawl
Not sure why that's so funny. I see it the same way, although I like Murray quite a bit more than Reinhart. But Reinhart is my 2nd ranked WHLer right now, ahead of Dumba and Rielly.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
It certainly can improve, but its never gonna be as elite as theirs is.

And while he's smarter than Dumba, I'm not sure he's got better hockey sense than Murray.
Look at the amazing leaps that Tavares took in his skating.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Look at the amazing leaps that Tavares took in his skating.
Tavares is a much better skater, but he's not an elite skater.

You can improve your skating, and become better at it... but if you want to be the equivalent of a Murray or a Dumba, you've either got that natural talent or you don't. Tavares or Reinhart will never replicate their high end speed.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:04 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Tavares is a much better skater, but he's not an elite skater.

You can improve your skating, and become better at it... but if you want to be the equivalent of a Murray or a Dumba, you've either got that natural talent or you don't. Tavares or Reinhart will never replicate their high end speed.
Not sure why you are making such a big deal out of his skating. He's a fine skater, especially for someone his size. It's not like it needs to be on a Dumba, Rielly or Murray level just for him to become a solid NHL defender.