HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

TSN's Bob McKenzie: Michael Leighton re-entry waivers

Old
04-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
free leighton to some other team.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:27 AM
mja
Negative Creep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
This is a stupid statement. Hockey is a team sport, a team wins and loses, not a player. Leighton didn't "cost us" the cup more than anyone who played in that series. The team didn't win, it was a team loss, not a Leighton loss. Just like the shutouts were team shutouts, and not Leighton shutouts. If you wanna call his accomplishments the product of the team, be fair and do it for the opposite too. You can't just look at one side of the medal.
Even an AHL-caliber goalie has to be able to stop that awful Cup-winning goal against. If he gave us even average goal-tending in that series we'd have won in 6.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:53 AM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
You have a lot to learn, my friend. Everything bad is ultimately Holmgren's fault. Everything good was a lucky accident. And if Homer can't be specifically blamed, for example for things that happen DURING the games, then it's Michael Leighton's fault or, more recently, Matt Carle's fault. You really need to get a more focused black and white worldview, shades of grey in a big picture confuse a lot of people.
You forgot the refs and Bettman.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:54 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Wow, I'm really happy that this is the last time the name Leighton pops up in this forum.

Not because I want him gone from the team (I do) but because every time he gets mentioned the same old discussion starts all over again.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Even an AHL-caliber goalie has to be able to stop that awful Cup-winning goal against. If he gave us even average goal-tending in that series we'd have won in 6.
Far worse goals have been scored on supposed great goaltenders..they lost as a team, get over it and stop looking for a scapegoat. the game is 60 minutes and sometimes more and plenty of mistakes were made during that timeframe to put all the blame on one guy is ignorant and says a lot about your hockey IQ and sense of teamwork. Check a mirror man...move on!!

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:20 AM
mirimon

So, to get away from the Leighton discussion a bit... any word on what other players will be black aces this year? I assume the guys that's played for the Flyers will be there (Gustafsson, Manning, Holmstrom, Scrabbles, Sestito when he's healthy), any other guys gets a look? Akeson? Maybe Ford, since they gave him a new contract?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:42 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
Far worse goals have been scored on supposed great goaltenders..they lost as a team, get over it and stop looking for a scapegoat. the game is 60 minutes and sometimes more and plenty of mistakes were made during that timeframe to put all the blame on one guy is ignorant and says a lot about your hockey IQ and sense of teamwork. Check a mirror man...move on!!
1. I've never seen a worse cup-winning goal than that one. That it came against my own team makes it only that much more painful. This isn't like Beezer letting in a couple of soft short-side goals in an otherwise spectacular effort. Leighton was just plain awful that entire series and the final goal was the coup de grace.

2. It wasn't a team loss, no matter how much Leighton apologists want it to be one. (and I'm no Leighton hater, we don't even make the playoffs that year without him). The team played well enough to win, if he gives us even average goaltending, we win. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with scapegoating him. He's an AHL/NHL tweener. He didn't play as well as he should have given even that less than impressive pedigree. It cost us a cup. Period.

3. My hockey IQ and sense of teamwork? Check a mirror? Really?

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:04 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well ironically enough it was Holmgren himself that said although Leighton wasn't fully at fault ( I recall Richards being spent, Carter invisible and the D also being spent) he said "he (Leighton) didn't give the team a chance to win." His exact words...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:27 AM
flyingsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
free leighton to some other team.
He'd easily be an upgrade for the Pens...

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:48 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post

even a Vezina winner couldnt stop it

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Black Aces:

Quote:
-Brown
-Ford
-Gus
-Holmstrom
-Lauridsen
-Leighton
-Manning
-McGinn
-Z

Old
04-17-2012, 12:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

It does show what they think of Akeson though. His defensive incapabilties are definitely holding him back. Good to see The Dane getting some recognition. Can also see he is ahead of Kessel in regards to defensive depth (unless Kessel is hurt)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

The only thing anyone remembers about Leighton was the last goal of stanley cup. People forget how we were down 3-0 against Boston, Boucher gets injured and we win 4 in a row with Leighton in net. Then he posts 3 shut outs in the series against Montreal (yes we were playing better hockey). Yes he didn't have a great final series but without him we would have never made it that far. Bouch wasn't going to play solid 4 games in a row vs Boston.

Never understood all the Leighton hate, never will. We all can agree that last goal sucked, but that's something Bryz lets in on the reg. I will always remember Leighton as the guy that gave that team hope and something to fall back on, and I'll always respect him for that.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:24 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
It does show what they think of Akeson though. His defensive incapabilties are definitely holding him back. Good to see The Dane getting some recognition. Can also see he is ahead of Kessel in regards to defensive depth (unless Kessel is hurt)
Could we read into this that we might not re-sign Testwuide? He's a rfa, I believe. He had a rough sophomore season offensively for the Phantoms, only scoring 12 goals.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
The only thing anyone remembers about Leighton was the last goal of stanley cup. People forget how we were down 3-0 against Boston, Boucher gets injured and we win 4 in a row with Leighton in net. Then he posts 3 shut outs in the series against Montreal (yes we were playing better hockey). Yes he didn't have a great final series but without him we would have never made it that far. Bouch wasn't going to play solid 4 games in a row vs Boston.

Never understood all the Leighton hate, never will. We all can agree that last goal sucked, but that's something Bryz lets in on the reg. I will always remember Leighton as the guy that gave that team hope and something to fall back on, and I'll always respect him for that.
I won't. I'll remember him as the goalie that made the saves he had to make behind great defense, but buckled under the pressure of the SCF and couldnt save a beachball when the team actually needed him to make more than just routine saves. He couldnt, and that's why we lost.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:33 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I won't. I'll remember him as the goalie that made the saves he had to make behind great defense, but buckled under the pressure of the SCF and couldnt save a beachball when the team actually needed him to make more than just routine saves. He couldnt, and that's why we lost.
That's more than Bryz is doing right now, and we're only in the ECQF.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
That's more than Bryz is doing right now, and we're only in the ECQF.
Find me a video of Leighton making a save like this during his playoff run:

Bryz may not be playing great, but that save right there is a huge reason as to why we're up 3-0 in the series. Leighton never made any game-changing saves when he was called upon in the finals

Old
04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Could we read into this that we might not re-sign Testwuide? He's a rfa, I believe. He had a rough sophomore season offensively for the Phantoms, only scoring 12 goals.
I think there is a good chance he isnt back, especially with other players joining the team next season (Mangene, Noebels, etc). Noebels plays a similar role.

The only way I see him resigning is because he likes the players on the team, and is a fan favorite. He is super involved in the community.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:45 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
I think there is a good chance he isnt back, especially with other players joining the team next season (Mangene, Noebels, etc). Noebels plays a similar role.

The only way I see him resigning is because he likes the players on the team, and is a fan favorite. He is super involved in the community.
sounds like a candidate for an AHL contract then

Old
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Find me a video of Leighton making a save like this during his playoff run:

Bryz may not be playing great, but that save right there is a huge reason as to why we're up 3-0 in the series. Leighton never made any game-changing saves when he was called upon in the finals
I invite you to rewatch goals 1 and 4 last game.

So basically what you're saying is because Bryz can make 1 big save that his 3.96 GAA and .868 save % don't matter. Talk about delusional.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:50 PM
MsWoof

He hath cleared re-entry waivers according to Bobby Mac. Let's hope we don't have to see him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Black Aces:
What that says to me is that brown McGinn and the Dane are all guys they believe in for the future even though they'd be enormous stretches to see actually play. I'm surprised to see McGinn over akeson though.

Now that I think of it though , McGinn and brown do seem to fit lavvys coaching style better.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
I invite you to rewatch goals 1 and 4 last game.

So basically what you're saying is because Bryz can make 1 big save that his 3.96 GAA and .868 save % don't matter. Talk about delusional.
never said that. Bryz hasnt played that well yet.

but we all know Bryz is capable of making game-changing saves, whereas Leighton couldnt when we needed him to

Old
04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
How bad is Akeson's defense? Like Briere bad?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
How bad is Akeson's defense? Like Briere bad?
About the same. Another problem with Akeson is that he isnt the best 5 on 5. Most (like 90%) or his points came on the PP. But the 5 on 5 play might be because he played on a line with McGinn and Brown, two guys who are better at checking than scoring.