Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

Fenway Park?

Old
04-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Rude

vCash: 500
Fenway Park?

I'm planning a trip to Boston and have been looking around for tickets to the Detroit game on May 30th.

But i know that Fenway is full of obstructed views, random poles, standing room only and alcohol free areas, etc. So if i'm forced to buy on eBay or StubHub can anyone tell me what sections of the ballpark to steer clear of? Or which are actually the best available/affordable sections for that matter?

Thanks!

-Rude

Rude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:28 PM
HabsByTheBay

Don't buy in right field, the seats don't angle towards the diamond and you'll get a sore neck.

Other than that it's fine. You get used to the poles if you're in the grandstand (just move your head back and forth). Of course if you don't want any poles then buy in the bleachers.

How tall are you? They've made it better recently but depending on where you sit the leg room in the grandstands isn't great.

Wonderful ballpark though, went with my Boston-born dad to Fenway every summer and it was like going to a temple.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Rude

I was actually looking at seats in the Grandstands, judging completely from online seating charts... maybe anything between 12-30. But those poles look totally annoying. Do you know which row they begin?

Anyway, i'm about 6ft. exactly. So i'm pretty used to tucking in my knees wherever i go. Hopefully it's not too unbearable.

-Rude

Old
04-07-2012, 06:44 PM
HabsByTheBay

Dunno, check out preciseseating.com.They have maps showing exactly where the poles are and where your view will be obstructed if you sit further back in the grandstand.

The other thing about the grandstand is you're under a roof, so you have that overhang, I don't totally feel like I'm outside feeling as well. For me personally I'm in heaven so I don't care but I suspect you won't want that.

Check out the roof boxes down the lines, they might be more your style.

Also, if you're 6ft you'll be fine. The roof boxes were built in the 70s and expanded in the late 00s so they've got better leg room.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Going off of this picture, stay of of 88-97. Anything out in the bleachers isn't really all that bad I sat in 41 and 42 for some cheap seats and found the view to be good for bleacher seats).

I believe the view along the 3rd base line would be far better then gettng stuck in that "right field box" section" where the seat angle and pole obstruction will get in the way. It's not awful, but if you can find seats elsewhere I would recommend it.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post

Going off of this picture, stay of of 88-97. Anything out in the bleachers isn't really all that bad I sat in 41 and 42 for some cheap seats and found the view to be good for bleacher seats).
Yeah, the RF box seats are absolute hell. Sat near Pesky's Pole once and was absolutely miserable the entire game. And yeah, the bleachers are cool. Also had seats in section 41 (front row behind Sox bullpen) and enjoyed it.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3488254.story

Pretty strong words coming from a guy who plays at Tropicana. I'm not gonna agree with him and call Fenway a dump since I've never been there, but I kinda wish the proposed Fenway Park II was built.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Diskothek

Well I've been there, and I'll call it a dump.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:58 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
Well I've been there, and I'll call it a dump.
It's old, but it's not a dump.

It was a dump, when the Yawkeys owned it and didn't spend a nickel on maintenance - I remember going to a rainout when the concourse flooded and it took 45 minutes of single file hustling to get out (I eventually got so sick of waiting that my uncle and I just walked through the puddle to get out and hosed our shoes off the next day).

But the Henry group has taken 50 years off that place. They actually painted things, fixed broken windows, and added new bathrooms and concourse space that the Yawkeys never conceived of. Other than right field (which is pretty bad, I avoid it myself) there is very little worse about Fenway than AT&T Park, which most "It's a dump, build a new stadium!" people think is the greatest ballpark known to man.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:47 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I'll be honest, the bleachers are the best place to sit.

But I haven't been there since '95, so what do I know?

Personally I think PNC is the greatest known to man.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Look at sections 36-38. Looks like they are horribly placed. You'd be looking at the first baseman directly without turning your head to the right. All seats should be looking towards home plate.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:21 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I'll be honest, the bleachers are the best place to sit.

But I haven't been there since '95, so what do I know?

Personally I think PNC is the greatest known to man.
I went on vacation to Pittsburgh in 2005 or 2006; however, it was in November so the Pirates weren't playing. I got some views from the outside into PNC and it looks amazing. Going to be back in Pittsburgh on May 1st to run the Pittsburgh Marathon on the 6th and have tickets for a game against the Reds for myself and the gf to enjoy. Looking forward to it

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:30 AM
XtremeofParanoia

Just shell out the extra bucks and get infield box seats. Best seats in the house.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:18 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Look at sections 36-38. Looks like they are horribly placed. You'd be looking at the first baseman directly without turning your head to the right. All seats should be looking towards home plate.
It's basically impossible to build a baseball park like that unless you want people to be able to see home plate but nothing else.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
If I recall correctly, the rows are angled in such a way that it's not a big deal. I've sat in those sections, and don't recall any issue. There are plenty of ballparks where if you sit in box seats along the lines, you are not facing home plate either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I went on vacation to Pittsburgh in 2005 or 2006; however, it was in November so the Pirates weren't playing. I got some views from the outside into PNC and it looks amazing. Going to be back in Pittsburgh on May 1st to run the Pittsburgh Marathon on the 6th and have tickets for a game against the Reds for myself and the gf to enjoy. Looking forward to it
It's awesome. Went there in 2001 when they opened for a series and sat in different sections. The best was right behind home plate, about 10 rows up, on a beautiful sunny Sunday, great view of the Pittsburgh bridges and skyline......

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
Just shell out the extra bucks and get infield box seats. Best seats in the house.
Yeah, that's not as easy as it sounds. Except for local pick-up in Boston, i never saw anything besides Bleachers or Grandstand. I was willing to drop a good chunk of change on decent seats, but every time i found something available it was behind a pole or something. Thank God for Precise Seating! (Thanks for that link, BTW.)

I was hoping to buy from a season ticket holder, but that didn't work out. Anyway, i'm in GS25 somewhere. Second base is a little obstructed, but the tickets were nice and cheap... whatever. It's a done deal now, i guess.

-Rude

Old
04-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Hnidy Hnight

This gives you an exact view of your seat and obstruction %

http://www.preciseseating.com/fenwaypark2.php

Enjoy Boston

Hnidy Hnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/DanWetzel/statuse...97979439304704
Quote:
Fenway turns 100. Sold popcorn there in high school. It was pretty much a dump then but at least no one wore pink hats

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/Deadspin/statuses/193396606236753921
Quote:
OK, this is awesome: a father and son built a 1/3-scale Fenway on their farm in Oregon. deadsp.in/FNa6

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 11:46 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
An awesome article. Thanks for posting that. Showed it to my brother, a BU student, and he really enjoyed it.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote