HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Leopold to LI proposals

Old
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Gill as a large wingspan PK option who knows the East after all of his stops in recent years, if he's dedicated to the third pairing at ES, is an option. He's slipped a bit this season, but then again, everyone in Montreal seemed to have a pretty rough year.

04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Gill as a large wingspan PK option who knows the East after all of his stops in recent years, if he's dedicated to the third pairing at ES, is an option. He's slipped a bit this season, but then again, everyone in Montreal seemed to have a pretty rough year.
I've loved him the past few years, but each year I get more worried that the Sabres getting him would be his final, crappy year.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:29 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Once they acquired Hodgson and went with Ennis-Hodgson-Roy as their top-9 centers, they scored 67 goals in their final 20 games (3.35 goals/game). Over an 82-game pace, that's 274 goals, which would've been good for #2 in the league. They scored enough down the stretch that I don't believe they should hang onto Leopold for the mere fact that he'll give you ten goals per season. I think we have enough mobile defensemen--Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera, and Sulzer if we re-sign him--to withstand the loss of Leo, and if we're dedicated to increasing our goal output we should be looking at bolstering our forward corps.

If they can get an early-2nd and a decent prospect for him pre-July 1, I say do it.
And I'd rather hold onto Leopold if there isn't a mobile D upgrade as you likely could get the 2nd and a decent prospect at the trade deadline when veteran defensemen usually go for a premium.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:34 PM
bobbyorrrrr

Not to say that he is a bad player, but Leopold is a good example to me of the numbers not matching the actual value on the ice. While he has scored a good amount of goals the last two years I would be hard pressed to call him a dangerous offensive weapon. He seldom is dangerous on the rush in the way Myers or Sekera are. He has a good shot especially at getting it through traffic, but it certainly is not a feared by opponents. And he certainly does not strike me as a tremendous passer. Then on defense, well his problems are widely known. Lack of physicality, turnovers, and not a strong compete level on one on one battles. To me Leopold is a good option to have as your 5-6 if your a Cup contender, but he is completely replaceable with the Sabres depth on defense. Take the pick and the prospect. It's a steal.

bobbyorrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
And I'd rather hold onto Leopold if there isn't a mobile D upgrade as you likely could get the 2nd and a decent prospect at the trade deadline when veteran defensemen usually go for a premium.
At the deadline, a playoff contender is going to be the buyer, and the pick is going to be closer to 50. In our current hypothetical, the pick is #34. That would arm us with more ammunition to move up with our earlier picks, or pick a player early in the 2nd round. Provided they can then acquire a defenseman on July 1 at or near Leopold's level, even if possessing a different skill set, this deal would make a lot of sense.

This whole discussion is likely moot, though, because I cannot imagine a team--even one as poorly run as the Isles--giving up an early-2nd and a prospect for Leopold when they can acquire defensemen a week later for nothing but money.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:54 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
At the deadline, a playoff contender is going to be the buyer, and the pick is going to be closer to 50. In our current hypothetical, the pick is #34. That would arm us with more ammunition to move up with our earlier picks, or pick a player early in the 2nd round. Provided they can then acquire a defenseman on July 1 at or near Leopold's level, even if possessing a different skill set, this deal would make a lot of sense.

This whole discussion is likely moot, though, because I cannot imagine a team--even one as poorly run as the Isles--giving up an early-2nd and a prospect for Leopold when they can acquire defensemen a week later for nothing but money.
The 50th pick in 2013 might be better than the 34th pick this year....

And I wouldn't underestimate the attractiveness of Leopold only having one year left on his deal and at a reasonable cap number with the CBA uncertainty that teams will be dealing with between June & November.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:58 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
I've loved him the past few years, but each year I get more worried that the Sabres getting him would be his final, crappy year.
Like Rivet?

It certainly can end up going that way.

Barret Jackman, if not re-signed by the Blues, could be an interesting option as a defensive defenseman. Only 31 so he still has some good years ahead of him, although cost might be an issue.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
I see Gill as Craig Rivet 2.0

EDIT: LDS beat me to it

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:05 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

With Regehr, Weber, and McNabb potentially in the top 7 next year, I don't see the need for a Jackman/Gill type defensive defenseman.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I see Gill as Craig Rivet 2.0

EDIT: LDS beat me to it
Yeah, he's not top of the list. He'd be a "in a limited role" type if they miss out elsewhere.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing them kick the tires on some younger guys who may not be as high on their development as their teams (or fans) would like. Ruff and his staff have had some success turning out some silk purses from sows ears over the years on the blueline. Granted, that's probably a doubly damning analogy, since they've turned out so many guys carrying silk purses too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
With Regehr, Weber, and McNabb potentially in the top 7 next year, I don't see the need for a Jackman/Gill type defensive defenseman.

Weber has taken some serious steps back. He was slow and out of position without the puck too often defensively and gifted the puck on turnovers at key times too often for me. I'd rather they let McNabb play his minutes and retain Sulzer while finding an update/upgrade for Leo than see Weber come back.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Yeah, he's not top of the list. He'd be a "in a limited role" type if they miss out elsewhere.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing them kick the tires on some younger guys who may not be as high on their development as their teams (or fans) would like. Ruff and his staff have had some success turning out some silk purses from sows ears over the years on the blueline. Granted, that's probably a doubly damning analogy, since they've turned out so many guys carrying silk purses too....

Weber has taken some serious steps back. He was slow and out of position without the puck too often defensively and gifted the puck on turnovers at key times too often for me. I'd rather they let McNabb play his minutes and retain Sulzer while finding an update/upgrade for Leo than see Weber come back.
I feel this is getting a little offtopic, but you're a mod and can split it if necessary

But who might these young "buy low" candidates be? Cam Barker is a bust. I'd assume the Jets are still high on Zach Bogosian. Hickey from LA? Petrecki from SJ (I haven't followed his development much, so I don't know if he's been disappointing enough). In a sense, they may already have gotten one in Finley, although he's not NHL-close yet.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I feel this is getting a little offtopic, but you're a mod and can split it if necessary

But who might these young "buy low" candidates be? Cam Barker is a bust. I'd assume the Jets are still high on Zach Bogosian. Hickey from LA? Petrecki from SJ (I haven't followed his development much, so I don't know if he's been disappointing enough). In a sense, they may already have gotten one in Finley, although he's not NHL-close yet.
The first guy who comes to mind is Luke Schenn. If the Preds retain Suter, they have a trio of younger guys in Blum, Josi and Ellis (not interested personally but still) who could be of interest. Keith Aulie is probably less available now that Tampa plucked him for Ashton, but he has history with Myers and adds a pugilistic element from the backend. Nikitin from C-bus might be an option -- big guy, can distribute and is... well... big. Jamie McBain, Sabre Killer, may be available from Carolina... There are any number of options who aren't clearly on the scrap heap.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:47 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
The first guy who comes to mind is Luke Schenn. If the Preds retain Suter, they have a trio of younger guys in Blum, Josi and Ellis (not interested personally but still) who could be of interest. Keith Aulie is probably less available now that Tampa plucked him for Ashton, but he has history with Myers and adds a pugilistic element from the backend. Nikitin from C-bus might be an option -- big guy, can distribute and is... well... big. Jamie McBain, Sabre Killer, may be available from Carolina... There are any number of options who aren't clearly on the scrap heap.
Highly doubt Josi gets moved, he had a tremendous season for the Preds and is probably their #3 behind Suter-Weber right now. I like Blum more than Ellis, but my guess is so do the Preds. Nikitin has apparently been a good fit in Columbus (we would have needed to pluck him from the Blues), McBain I see no reason for Carolina to move.

Petrecki is a guy that interests me as a reclamation project. Former 1st rounder, but hasn't played an NHL game yet.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Highly doubt Josi gets moved, he had a tremendous season for the Preds and is probably their #3 behind Suter-Weber right now. I like Blum more than Ellis, but my guess is so do the Preds. Nikitin has apparently been a good fit in Columbus (we would have needed to pluck him from the Blues), McBain I see no reason for Carolina to move.

Petrecki is a guy that interests me as a reclamation project. Former 1st rounder, but hasn't played an NHL game yet.
There are Carolina fans who think McBain is a possible non-qualifier this summer, so some of them at least think he's on the outs. As for the rest, I didn't say it would be simple.

Old
04-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

They should look at the following, in regards to the blueline...

1. The potential to upgrade the top pairing (Sekera-Myers). Ryan Suter is really the only way to do this, as Sekera has grown into a quality defensemen
2. Sekera-Myers is your top pairing, so you've got to find the right mix for the rest of the backend. Which will include Ehrhoff and Regehr, and finding the right partners for them
2a. Sulzer is the RIGHT partner for Ehrhoff, lets get that straight. You can call that pairing your 3rd pairing if you want.
2b. The right partner for Regehr. We don't need an Offensive defensemen like Leo, but it also CAN'T be a pylon like Weber. We hope that McNabb is the guy, but it would be WRONG to go into the season expecting him to be they guy. In a perfect scenario, Suter is signed, and Sekera plays with Regehr

Ideal:
Suter-Myers, Sekera-Regehr, Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Hopeful:
Sekera-Myers, XXXX-Regehr, Sulzer-Ehrhoff

Expected:
Suter-Myers, Leopold-Regehr, Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Not Again!:
Sekera-Myers, Weber-Regehr, McNabb-Ehrhoff

Either way, Weber is a #7, McNabb needs to prove himself, and Leo is a redundant weakness.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:27 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

1. The potential to upgrade the top pairing (Sekera-Myers). Ryan Suter is really the only way to do this, as Sekera has grown into a quality defensemen
2. Sekera-Myers is your top pairing, so you've got to find the right mix for the rest of the backend. Which will include Ehrhoff and Regehr, and finding the right partners for them
2a. Sulzer is the RIGHT partner for Ehrhoff, lets get that straight. You can call that pairing your 3rd pairing if you want.
2b. The right partner for Regehr. We don't need an Offensive defensemen like Leo, but it also CAN'T be a pylon like Weber. We hope that McNabb is the guy, but it would be WRONG to go into the season expecting him to be they guy. In a perfect scenario, Suter is signed, and Sekera plays with Regehr

Ideal:
Hopeful:
Expected:

Not Again!:

Either way, Weber is a #7, McNabb needs to prove himself, and Leo is a redundant weakness.
You expect to sign Suter?

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Ideal:
Hopeful:

Expected:
Not Again!:

My squabble is that you expect Suter to be signed and Sekera let go, and I'm not sure how that can be "expected". Unless you meant to put Sekera there, which would make far more sense.

Old
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
You expect to sign Suter?
oops, that's supposed to be Sekera...

Old
04-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
My squabble is that you expect Suter to be signed and Sekera let go, and I'm not sure how that can be "expected". Unless you meant to put Sekera there, which would make far more sense.
Sekera-Myers = expected.... typo

and i cant edit the original post