HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Critics Of Dustin Brown’s Captaincy Of LAKings No Longer Have A Leg To Stand On

Old
04-17-2012, 06:47 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Critics Of Dustin Brown’s Captaincy Of LAKings No Longer Have A Leg To Stand On

Critics Of Dustin Brown’s Captaincy Of Los Angeles Kings No Longer Have A Leg To Stand On

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Habstract

Very nice to read. A captain does not absolutely need to be "vocal". Brown always give everything he has everytime he is on the ice. A leader by example. A team can have more than one leader, guys like Richards, Greene, Mitchell, Kopitar, Scuderi etc... each in their own way, are leaders.

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:46 AM
nocturn

Good read Gann.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:14 AM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

Don't worry, they'll find a cane...or a walker...or a wheelchair.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better Gann...
She dreams in color, she dreams in red, can't find a better Gann...
Can't find a better Gann
Can't find a better Gann
Ohh...

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:26 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Though I have seen DB as an excellent Captain from the start it wasn't like he left his critics without any reason to question his ability to lead the team up until now. He has always been a solid person and a great two way RW but this is the first playoff series where he has lifted his game up to a new level and carried his team with him.

Not saying that DB is any more valuable than other players on the team just that we are finally seeing DB put his entire game together and is now leading us to playoff success as well.

GO DB AND GO KINGS!!!!!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
The Judge

This is what a team should expect from a captain which wasn't there on a consistent basis from DB.

It was only after the fact he was rumored to be traded that he elevated his game. I am one of his biggest critics. But let me say this: Now, he is playing the way a captain should.

Keep it up DB! Great job!

Edit: Maybe it's the "maturing process" of a young player. Whatever it is, that trading deadline was more of a "blessing." It was an "awakening" for Dustin Brown.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:42 PM
ean

I have been a critic of DB as a Captain, but not as a player.

He's been amazing in these playoffs.

That said, had he played like this an entire season, would anyone be criticizing him in the first place?

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:09 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

The questions about DB's were valid prior to the trade deadline, it's plain as day. He's went into another gear since the trade deadline. I just wish DB wouldn't have waited for a trade rumor to wake him up.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Criticisms are often valid as no one individual is perfect.

Brown became the Captain in 2008 because at the time Dean did not want another caretaker captain like we had with Blake (what a waste of time his 2nd stint in LA was). Brown had paid his dues, but still had a lot to learn and has seemingly started to find his way.

A lot of people know that Brown was not a happy camper when Terry Murray was fired, but the kid has responded almost perfectly to that adversity and accepted the criticism from Sutter and is now one of the few players (even more than Quick) that Sutter openly praises.

As far as being a vocal leader and somewhat shy goes, have you ever known someone with a lisp or other speech impediment? It can be a lot to overcome for someone especially from a confidence standpoint. Brown is turning into a Captain the Kings can be proud of, and I think as it turns out Sutter might have been the right coach for this final stage of his development.

Keep it going Dustin, leave no doubt.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Learning to WIN ... guess Lombardi ain't that dumb afterall

But seriously, I tried to point this out before ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
You know what's interesting ... YOU'RE WRONG ... no offense, but Look at the age of our "Young Core" and compare it to the Yzerman Era RED WINGS who only made their first Cup Finals in 1995 (LOST btw of course, didn't win a Cup until '97) ...

KINGS CORE (if you will) =

Dustin Brown = 27
Anze Kopitar = 24
Jonathan Quick = 26
Drew Doughty = 22
Slava Voynov = 22
Mike Richards = 27
Jeff Carter = 27
Justin Williams = 30
Matt Greene = 28
Kyle Clifford = 21

versus the

Yzerman Era RED WINGS CORE (1st Cup Finals 1995) =

Steve Yzerman = 30
Sergei Fedorov = 26
Paul Coffey = 34
Nicklas Lidstrom = 25
Igor Larionov = 35
Vyacheslav Kozlov = 23
Vladimir Konstantinov = 28
Dino Ciccarelli = 35
Kris Draper = 24
Darren McCarty = 23
Chris Osgood = 23

IF you look at it objectively, we're still well within our window of WINNING with this CORE of players. Look I know "be patient" isn't a line ANYONE wants to hear, especially a LONG TIME FAN like yourself, but I too have been a fan since 1980 and have heard it TIME AND TIME again ... but I think we're closer than most times we've heard it before, question is WILL we be patient enough to LET IT BUILD or will growing impatience force us to tear it all down and go through the same crap we've endured for 40+ years as a franchise ?
... as you can see our guys ARE still YOUNG ... in AGE (Maturity) and in PlayOff experience ... they're just getting it NOW ... and I fully expect our first Cup, maybe first of many, within the next couple of seasons ... heck maybe this one IF we get lucky

So it begs the question ... will you consider this season a success if we advance past the 1st round ?

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

... as you can see our guys ARE still YOUNG ... in AGE (Maturity) and in PlayOff experience ... they're just getting it NOW ... and I fully expect our first Cup, maybe first of many, within the next couple of seasons ... heck maybe this one IF we get lucky

So it begs the question ... will you consider this season a success if we advance past the 1st round ?
That thread is definitely getting a bump after just one more win.

Old
04-17-2012, 06:51 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
“He does everything,” said veteran center Mike Richards. “He not only leads by example, and in all areas, but he says the right thing at the right time in the dressing room.”
This speaks volumes.

kingsfan28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:47 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Just because DB's scoring in the playoffs doesn't mean he's more deserving of his "C". And just because he's not scoring doesn't mean he's less deserving of it.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
nucks88

vCash: 1584
Is it true that he was in play at the trade deadline?

nucks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
We know the rumor was floated out there. Who knows if it was a motivating tool or he was actually in play. Or if somebody made an offer for him and somehow it got leaked and people added their own conjecture to say he was available. Dunno.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:54 PM
nucks88

vCash: 1584
Amazing if true- he is a true warrior! Weird thing is that the rumour is that the Bruins tried to move Thomas before last season and had no takers! Goes to show you never know! Here's to a great game tomorrow!

nucks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The criticism of Dustin Brown's play was justified. Even he and the coaches have said so, he was not playing like this until the late stages of the season. Perhaps he is finally putting it together and learning what it takes to be a leader.

He doesn't have to be a vocal "rah rah" type, but leading by example is what he is starting to do, especially at a time where his team needs him most. I've been quite critical of his game but never did suggest the Kings trade him as it is apparent that he had this potential within him.

I just hope that this is not just another streak and what we are seeing now is going to be seen consistently out of Brown throughout the rest of the playoffs and into next season.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The criticism of Dustin Brown's play was justified. Even he and the coaches have said so, he was not playing like this until the late stages of the season. Perhaps he is finally putting it together and learning what it takes to be a leader.

He doesn't have to be a vocal "rah rah" type, but leading by example is what he is starting to do, especially at a time where his team needs him most. I've been quite critical of his game but never did suggest the Kings trade him as it is apparent that he had this potential within him.

I just hope that this is not just another streak and what we are seeing now is going to be seen consistently out of Brown throughout the rest of the playoffs and into next season.
STEP 1: Recognizing you have a problem.

Just happy that Dustin has seemed to get to STEP 7 or 8 in such a short period of time.

Brown is going to go through droughts just like any player, but as long as he is giving the honest effort that he is right now I am fine with him being streaky. Heck, 95% of the players in the NHL can probably be labeled as steaky.

The only player the Kings have this season that has been consistently good is Quick.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:23 AM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
I have been a critic of DB as a Captain, but not as a player.

He's been amazing in these playoffs.

That said, had he played like this an entire season, would anyone be criticizing him in the first place?
Has anyone played to this level for a full 82 game season? Heck even Quick has had the odd off game this year. Brown could have been better this year for sure, but outside of QUick that could have been said about all Kings players. Dude is stepping it up when we really needed it the most (down the stretch and in the playoffs). In his last 26 games, including the playoffs, he has 13 goals and 30 points, including a 10 game point scoring streak. I'll take it right now.

Quote:

We are being proven right on that argument? Imagine that. To bad PSP will never know since he can't be bothered to show up and post when we are winning.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:39 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Has anyone played to this level for a full 82 game season?
Yes. And with DB it's not really about the point totals. Nobody was criticizing him because he wasn't a PPG player this season. It's because he wasn't doing the things he's capable of in terms of hard play, strong forechecking, and getting the puck to the net. IE, leading by example.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Quattro

Quote:
If he played like this a whole season, he'd win the Hart trophy and make $8M a year.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
If he played like this a whole season, he'd win the Hart trophy and make $8M a year.
I'd say expecting him to perform this way for at least 60% of the season is more than fair. Can't expect him to play like this every night, but being a threat in the offensive zone and a threat to the opposing team physically is something he should provide on most nights, especially as a team captain.

I'm also very glad to see that his antics and theatrics of synchronized diving has dissipated. You know Brown is at his best when he keeps moving his feet and draws penalties as a result of his hard work and hustle. That's the Brown I love to watch (partly because it also reminds me of Deadmarsh and Dave Taylor when he's busting his tail out there).

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:04 AM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

Quote:
Yes. And with DB it's not really about the point totals. Nobody was criticizing him because he wasn't a PPG player this season. It's because he wasn't doing the things he's capable of in terms of hard play, strong forechecking, and getting the puck to the net. IE, leading by example.
Who has played to this level for 82 games? And I mean someone in Dustin Brown's range, not Mark Messier and Gordie Howe.

If you expect Brown to be this good 82 games a year, you aren't going to be happy very often, and you'll also have a very spent captain on your hands when the playoffs roll around.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Does anybody’s opinion change about the core and Brown if the Kings lose the series?

Would you just chalk it up to a learning experience and let them try again next season?

I think Dean's job is now safe, but not so sure about the core of the team if they collapse an lose in the first round again.

I think Columbus takes the Kings pick this year if the Kings lose in the first round and Dean wouldn't have a pick until the 4th round.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote