HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Thread (All Proposals, Speculation, Blog Rumors in here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Offense seems to be the one thing we can never "buy"...

If we want to get a proven offensive commodity this offseason, it will need to be through trade....
How exactly will this occur? Trade some of our guys who can't score for some of their's who can?

break up our stellar D-corp for some 60 point guy who doesn't have an NTC?

Trade some of our goaltending depth?

I know lets trade our #2 pick for one of their 60 plus guys because they would much rather have a guy who might get to 60-70 points some day rather than the guy they "know" will produce that.

Short of trading Nash in which case the best we can hope for is a return that equals Nash production.

Our best bet is going to be through FA but even that is suspect because there isn't much available and what is more than likely will be pursued by other teams that will be more attractive for the FA.

Or we wait 3 years or so for our draft picks to mature. or we keep Nash and hope that the marriage is savable.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
cslebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Our best bet is going to be through FA but even that is suspect because there isn't much available and what is more than likely will be pursued by other teams that will be more attractive for the FA.
I'm not so sold on CBus being so toxic. We seem to be extremely attractive to most family oriented players and we have Prospal and JMFJ to talk up the team now (new faces).

But most of all, most players won't turn down being overpaid to play for someone else. Would PA turn down say 4 - 4.5 Mil we had going to Huselius? Would Hudler turn down 3.5 - 4 Mil? Both are significant raises. No matter what, we will have to overpay or find players that are desperate to make their mark on the league by being the man (ala goalies wanting to be starters).

Also we are currently projected to be 17 mil + under next years cap if it stays the same.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
section 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
I'm not so sold on CBus being so toxic. We seem to be extremely attractive to most family oriented players and we have Prospal and JMFJ to talk up the team now (new faces).

But most of all, most players won't turn down being overpaid to play for someone else. Would PA turn down say 4 - 4.5 Mil we had going to Huselius? Would Hudler turn down 3.5 - 4 Mil? Both are significant raises. No matter what, we will have to overpay or find players that are desperate to make their mark on the league by being the man (ala goalies wanting to be starters).

Also we are currently projected to be 17 mil + under next years cap if it stays the same.
I surely hope our days of overpaying for free agents and saddling ourselves with bad contracts under the lame excuse that "we have to overpay, we're Columbus" are over. If that's a reality then we MUST do a better job of developing our own young talent and building through trades until Columbus becomes an equal player in the FA market. No more Huselius or Commodore deals thank you.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:56 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
How exactly will this occur? Trade some of our guys who can't score for some of their's who can?

break up our stellar D-corp for some 60 point guy who doesn't have an NTC?

Trade some of our goaltending depth?

I know lets trade our #2 pick for one of their 60 plus guys because they would much rather have a guy who might get to 60-70 points some day rather than the guy they "know" will produce that.

Short of trading Nash in which case the best we can hope for is a return that equals Nash production.

Or we wait 3 years or so for our draft picks to mature. or we keep Nash and hope that the marriage is savable.
Who are some proven scoring forwards you would be comfortable going after in FA? Keeping in mind that the Jackets will need to overpay (shouldn't even be up for debate), in either years or dollars. The CBJ were not landing a Jeff Carter-type player via Free Agency....

If a draft where you have 8 people saying 8 different names after Yakupov, is the second overall really worth hanging on to though?

I think the only thing we are disagreeing on here is that I'm already ready to scratch #61 off the opening night roster next season and you seem to be thinking he could still stick around.... We aren't going to get a player or equal ability back, but the bulk of the retool will come from this one move.

I would like to think this organization has finally learned its lesson and will not go into next season writing Brass, Johan and Atkinson in the top six in pen. Especially if they claim they want to retool to be immediately competitive.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:01 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
I surely hope our days of overpaying for free agents and saddling ourselves with bad contracts under the lame excuse that "we have to overpay, we're Columbus" are over. If that's a reality then we MUST do a better job of developing our own young talent and building through trades until Columbus becomes an equal player in the FA market. No more Huselius or Commodore deals thank you.
Bingo. There's a certain caliber of player in this league that the CBJ will never be able to acquire unless its through trade if they don't start developing their own players better.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:05 PM
punk_o_holic

Anyone willing to over pay for Alexander Semin? While everyone is after Parise, we can go hard after Semin although I can see his agent waiting out the Parise sweepstakes to end.

What would you offer? He is making 6.7 million this season. I can't see any teams(including the Blue Jackets) offering that much.

What about Whitney? Not sure if he is willing to move to another city once again but how did he like the city of Columbus? I can see teams offering him a 1 year deal(he's 39) but if we offer him a 2 year deal, he might take it. If teams are offering him 2 years and he is looking for years, I wouldn't offer him 3 years.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:26 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Who are some proven scoring forwards you would be comfortable going after in FA? Keeping in mind that the Jackets will need to overpay (shouldn't even be up for debate), in either years or dollars. The CBJ were not landing a Jeff Carter-type player via Free Agency....

If a draft where you have 8 people saying 8 different names after Yakupov, is the second overall really worth hanging on to though?

I think the only thing we are disagreeing on here is that I'm already ready to scratch #61 off the opening night roster next season and you seem to be thinking he could still stick around.... We aren't going to get a player or equal ability back, but the bulk of the retool will come from this one move.

I would like to think this organization has finally learned its lesson and will not go into next season writing Brass, Johan and Atkinson in the top six in pen. Especially if they claim they want to retool to be immediately competitive.
I think Parentau is a possibility though I read today he wants to stay with Isles; maybe Whitney but he probably stays in Phoenix; Parise is a 7 mill + guy who will probably want to go to a contender;Hudler stays in detroit in my mind. Like I said there isn't that much to pick from.

Bottom line to me is I think anyone who thinks this teams retools into a playoff team next year is nuts or a Blue Jacket fan extraordinaire (which may be the same). The team needs too much and it has little to offer in terms of trade value, it has no organizational talent or depth and it is run by a bunch of no nothings. Figure out a plan and stick to it for the next three to four years and hopefully the current prospects develop and the next few drafts bring in some real good talent. And we get a decent return for Nash.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Anyone willing to over pay for Alexander Semin? While everyone is after Parise, we can go hard after Semin although I can see his agent waiting out the Parise sweepstakes to end.

What would you offer? He is making 6.7 million this season. I can't see any teams(including the Blue Jackets) offering that much.

What about Whitney? Not sure if he is willing to move to another city once again but how did he like the city of Columbus? I can see teams offering him a 1 year deal(he's 39) but if we offer him a 2 year deal, he might take it. If teams are offering him 2 years and he is looking for years, I wouldn't offer him 3 years.
Whitney loved it here. I'd advocate such a move, we need talent in the top six and he seems to still have a little left in the tank (is he UFA?).

Old
04-17-2012, 12:01 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Whitney wouldn't sign here, he wants a Cup.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:17 AM
punk_o_holic

Ludicrous Speed, yes he is a UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Whitney wouldn't sign here, he wants a Cup.
He already has one with the Canes so maybe, just maybe he might consider us. Don't burst my bubble.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:25 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
That would make me laugh. It would be like Juice part two. Give me more Russians! If you trade Nash you'll get another guy that takes 25-30 games off and you'll get back quite of bit of his production loss.

It would be entertaining to see what Semin would do as "The man".

Quote:
Capn and I discussed that a while ago. We both liked that idea. Doubt it happens.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
If we try to rebuild through free agency, we'll likely overpay. Very few teams won't, and we certainly aren't one of those few teams that players flock too, or players drop their NTC's to be dealt to.

I guess you develop to the best of your abilities, and use FA sparingly to fill in the gaps.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
If we try to rebuild through free agency, we'll likely overpay. Very few teams won't, and we certainly aren't one of those few teams that players flock too, or players drop their NTC's to be dealt to.

I guess you develop to the best of your abilities, and use FA sparingly to fill in the gaps.
Its a vicious cycle...

The CBJ can't sign difference making FA's because they would have significantly overpay in either years or money because they are prennial doormats=losses=low draft picks that either never pan out or develop properly=the only feasible way to buttress the roster with difference makers now becomes via trade because you would need to significantly overpay for FA's and you don't develop you're own players well or at all....

The CBJ aren't the New York Yankees, who can afford to supplement their entire roster with FA acquistions and because of this, have no real immediate need to begin concentrated developmental efforts.

Right now the CBJ are in maybe the worst spot to be in. They have hedged bets on making the playoffs, failed, and they can't develop players, which means that certain pieces that have value (Voracek last season, Nash, the 2nd overall) will need to be sacrificed to try and have the best chance to "Win Now", which is what MacLean sold and the ownership and even Mike Priest bought it and that was their message to Scott Howson when he was hired.

Think about this statement:

Every cbj draft pick is worth more to someone else than to the cbj right now, because chances are very good that the pick will not pan out with the jackets as is. And the Jackets can move picks for bona fide players. And the CBJ are professing the desire to try and compete immediately vs. finally undertaking a proper rebuild.

Thats where we're sitting right now. And this is why Rick Nash is better served elsewhere, not just for himself, but the organization, no matter if they want to "rebuild" or just "retool"

My guess is that next season, we will see a bump in the standings, even with Nash gone. Maybe an 10th, 11th or 12th place in the west and I don't think the calls for change will get any quieter because we've seen the same song and dance before.

If the organization finally gets straight with the fans and stops blowing smoke, the CBJ could finish in last place next season too and I think we'd see more support for a rebuild then we would another failed "retool", which, if it doesn't produce the playoffs, will be a failure. What do we gain from another season or two with the brass trying to stave off becoming completely irrelevant as a franchise by scrambling just to end up again on the outside looking in and this time with less tradeable assets than we have now?

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 04-17-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old
04-17-2012, 12:32 PM
EDM

"Win now" is what has prevented this franchise from ever developing in a productive right way. I accept that we are not going to the playoffs next year. It is an unrealistic expectation. Now if only Mike Priest could figure that out.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
"Win now" is what has prevented this franchise from ever developing in a productive right way. I accept that we are not going to the playoffs next year. It is an unrealistic expectation. Now if only Mike Priest could figure that out.
This is what I'm talking about. Despite MacLean being gone for 5 years, the organization is still too afraid to look at itself in the mirror and realize what they are, which is an organization thats been grasping at straws trying to being just competitive enough to keep the wolves at bay instead of taking the time to meticulously start a full rebuild when they had the best chance, when Howson was hired.

Marc Crawford made a point during the trade deadline coverage (I think on TSN), talking about the Bluejackets and a rebuild or retool.

Asked why the CBJ wanted to put a new roof on a house that didn't have the old roof finished.

"Win Now" was a PR disaster. It still is. How are they going to sell whats needed ( a full rebuild) to the fanbase that they've spent the last five years denying that those extreme measures needed taken and trying and failing with every retool.

Their will be fans, like me, that will ask, why the hell wasn't a rebuild done when you had the best chance and the fans were actually asking for one, thus giving you the maximum amount of time to let one foster?

Missed chances. You will now have a rebuild where most of the fans might not be on board with it. Wondering why they were promised better 5 years ago and still haven't seen anything beyond a quick first round playoff sweep a few seasons ago...

The management of this organization has backed themselves in a corner here. No right-minded business owner should let the guys that screwed this up conduct a full rebuild, thats why they will keep selling this crap of being "closer than it looks like we are" to the fans and the ownership group as long as they can. Priest and Howson are doing nothing beyond throwing fresh bandaids on a gunshot would that was maybe a fleshwound 5 years ago but they have been sticking their fingers in it and have made it worse.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
This is what I'm talking about. Despite MacLean being gone for 5 years, the organization is still too afraid to look at itself in the mirror and realize what they are, which is an organization thats been grasping at straws trying to being just competitive enough to keep the wolves at bay instead of taking the time to meticulously start a full rebuild when they had the best chance, when Howson was hired.

Marc Crawford made a point during the trade deadline coverage (I think on TSN), talking about the Bluejackets and a rebuild or retool.

Asked why the CBJ wanted to put a new roof on a house that didn't have the old roof finished.

"Win Now" was a PR disaster. It still is. How are they going to sell whats needed ( a full rebuild) to the fanbase that they've spent the last five years denying that those extreme measures needed taken and trying and failing with every retool.

Their will be fans, like me, that will ask, why the hell wasn't a rebuild done when you had the best chance and the fans were actually asking for one, thus giving you the maximum amount of time to let one foster?

Missed chances. You will now have a rebuild where most of the fans might not be on board with it. Wondering why they were promised better 5 years ago and still haven't seen anything beyond a quick first round playoff sweep a few seasons ago...

The management of this organization has backed themselves in a corner here. No right-minded business owner should let the guys that screwed this up conduct a full rebuild, thats why they will keep selling this crap of being "closer than it looks like we are" to the fans and the ownership group as long as they can. Priest and Howson are doing nothing beyond throwing fresh bandaids on a gunshot would that was maybe a fleshwound 5 years ago but they have been sticking their fingers in it and have made it worse.
Ok, this is depressing. Please stop being so brutally honest.

Lets drop some more free burrito coupons from the IGS Energy Blimp, that'll keep those fat ******** coming to the games. Bring back the free Wendy's chilli swill....that is if we have anyone left on the roster capable of a hat trick by this time next season.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:07 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

Lets drop some more free burrito coupons from the IGS Energy Blimp, that'll keep those fat ******** coming to the games. Bring back the free Wendy's chilli swill....that is if we have anyone left on the roster capable of a hat trick by this time next season.
Jeff Carter did score two hat tricks in half a season and he wasn't even trying here....

Old
04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
cslebn

Quote:

Missed chances. You will now have a rebuild where most of the fans might not be on board with it. Wondering why they were promised better 5 years ago and still haven't seen anything beyond a quick first round playoff sweep a few seasons ago....
I tihnk you're hitting the nail on the head but I question the timing. Is now the right time to blow it up and do a full rebuild?

Not now the bottom of the standings with the star wanting to leave. Now the decreasing number of fans in the stands and the reduced visibility to casual fans. If it blows up with the latter, do we become anything more than Edm or Mtl Expos with largely empty stadiums? (too late).

I think we need to find a balance of gasp for air and keep the head above water while reworking the development process so 5 years from now we can be competitive. You just can't lose all but your die hard fans until then which is what I fear a full rebuild now would do.

Old
04-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:

Just for clarity:
Blimp doesn't drop the Burrito coupons. They are dropped from the catwalk structure above the seats. Most float into the loges or Club sections. Ironic cause those folks can afford to pay for their burritos.

Wendy's 3 goal chilli promo is for 3 goals by any players not necessarily the same player (no hat trick required) Of course, scoring 3 goals in general was a challange this year, right?

Old
04-17-2012, 05:06 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Oh boy.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:16 PM
EDM

? ? ? ? ?

Old
04-17-2012, 05:23 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
That's totally ridiculous. WinNow has not prevented this team from developing. She has been a loyal fan for years. She lives and dies with this lousy operation. She worked 18 hours a day during the Christmas season, then came home and watched the Jackets lose and joined CBJ chats.

I suspect WinNow might donate a kidney for a CBJ Stanley Cup championship.

Old
04-17-2012, 06:07 PM
EDM

I am talking about "win now" not WinNow.

Old
04-17-2012, 06:46 PM
650X2

Dont know if this belongs here but after the kings beat the nucks i hope the nucks fire their coach(rumor is he on the hot seat) and we should try to pick him up. Are we the only team on a coaching search this year?

Old
04-17-2012, 07:13 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
Dont know if this belongs here but after the kings beat the nucks i hope the nucks fire their coach(rumor is he on the hot seat) and we should try to pick him up. Are we the only team on a coaching search this year?
I wouldnt mind that at all. And maybe its just me, but winning the President's trophy 2 years in a row, but then getting swept in the 1st round once doesnt really seem like a coaching issue to me. Especially with Jonathan Quick in the opposite net.

Closed Thread