HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 20 update: JVR removed from LTIR, will play tonight (foot surgery, March 6)

Old
04-15-2012, 07:25 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Saw the end of the game, and that hit Couturier took and left the ice. Is he ok?
Seemed to be. I am really more worried about Giroux, he was clearly dazed after the hit that ******* neal put on him.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't know if this has been said, but who sits when/if JVR returns? Rinaldo would be my guess. Wellwood has been playing very well.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:17 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know if this has been said, but who sits when/if JVR returns? Rinaldo would be my guess. Wellwood has been playing very well.
Rinaldo has played all right, but I would sit him just for the reputation bias and the fact that he's a little too energized sometimes.

Wellwood has been great and should have every opportunity to stay in the line-up.

04-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Banger

Quote:
ya, Rinaldo really hasn't had any positive impact on the series. Wellwood has been very good and he's very versatile. I think Wellwood definitely stays in the lineup. I'd guess that they'll hope to close out the series and give JVR some rest to start up the next series unless somehow this goes to 5 or 6 games....

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/#!/davegisaac/st...65253822799874'

Quote:
Tom Sestito and James van Riemsdyk are on the ice with the team as they were last Friday
JVR has to be extremely close to returning.

Oh and people asking who is out it is either rinaldo or Wellwood most likely. Lavy might keep Rinaldo in there just for his fore check and physical game.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
FlyersMania2

Also, drosennhl tweeted

Quote:
"JVR on the ice with the Flyers again. He's in a white jersey, which means he could be on a line. We'll wait to find out"
http://twitter.com/#!/drosennhl

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
FlyersMania2

Going back and forth with Dave Isaac on twitter about Sestito (didnt see his injury thread)

he says (about Sestito coming back):

"He's close, I think. Been skating for awhile, but he told me he be available until second round" (verbatim)

Fingers crossed we make it to Round 2. Should we play, say Boston, we absolutely need Sestito.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
thelos
Bunk

Hopefully we can close out the series tomorrow to give JVR a full week or so to practice and such

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:16 AM
AcrossThePond

I wouldn't sit Wellwood, he's been playing fantastically well and filling his role well. But I wouldn't 'rush' JvR back either.

Don't change a winning team.

AcrossThePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Hopefully we can close out the series tomorrow to give JVR a full week or so to practice and such
I'd prefer him get a game against the Pens. He hasn't played much this season and with this series very much in our control right now, I'd rather he make his debut in this series than in another one where he might not be back up to NHL speed yet.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:19 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
I'd prefer him get a game against the Pens. He hasn't played much this season and with this series very much in our control right now, I'd rather he make his debut in this series than in another one where he might not be back up to NHL speed yet.
So Cooke can target him? No thanks.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
So Cooke can target him? No thanks.
Eh, it's a foot injury. Targeting JVR would be no different than targeting any other player (unless you are suggesting he is going Bobby Clarke his foot). If Cooke is going to target someone on the Flyers, I doubt the guy who has been injured most of the year would be high on his list. If he wants to hurt the Flyers he would go after a guy with a lingering head issue or a guy who actually has made an impact this year. Not the guy with foot problems who missed half the year.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:26 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossThePond View Post
I wouldn't sit Wellwood, he's been playing fantastically well and filling his role well. But I wouldn't 'rush' JvR back either.

Don't change a winning team.
Rinaldo will sit, no Wellwood

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Going back and forth with Dave Isaac on twitter about Sestito (didnt see his injury thread)

he says (about Sestito coming back):

"He's close, I think. Been skating for awhile, but he told me he be available until second round" (verbatim)

Fingers crossed we make it to Round 2. Should we play, say Boston, we absolutely need Sestito.
I don't quite get this. Why would Sestito be necessary to beat the Bruins? I doubt Laviolette has any intention of matching a line with Sestito on it against Lucic (and Krejci), if that is what's your concern. Sure, the Bruins have some other big guys, but we're not exactly tiny either. From what they've show this season, I'd rather have Wellwood or Rinaldo than Sestito.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I don't quite get this. Why would Sestito be necessary to beat the Bruins? I doubt Laviolette has any intention of matching a line with Sestito on it against Lucic (and Krejci), if that is what's your concern. Sure, the Bruins have some other big guys, but we're not exactly tiny either. From what they've show this season, I'd rather have Wellwood or Rinaldo than Sestito.
Why not? The only effective game we really had against the Bruins (we lost) was with Sestito (the clean hit that concussed Horton). We need big guys to take the body against their team - they had like 50 hits last night against the Caps. We wont succeed in that sort of series without physicality and let's be honest, at this point, Sestito is less of a liability than Rinaldo.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Agree with this. Letting JVR play 6-8 minutes against Pittsburgh in Game 4 would be fine for me as part of his conditioning goes. Rinaldo has barely played... has taken penalties... I'm sure JVR could step out there without his best legs and still battle just as much as Rinaldo would. Getting him to 80+%, if we advance, would be nice and I still think he could even be a contributor in 6-8 minutes tomorrow night.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Sestito has a reputation though as well. I don't know if we need him, we just need to keep doing what we're doing. I mean if it isn't broke, don't fix it... right?

Last edited by SnS: 04-17-2012 at 11:47 AM.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:50 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Why not? The only effective game we really had against the Bruins (we lost) was with Sestito (the clean hit that concussed Horton). We need big guys to take the body against their team - they had like 50 hits last night against the Caps. We wont succeed in that sort of series without physicality and let's be honest, at this point, Sestito is less of a liability than Rinaldo.
/Agree

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
mirimon

Quote:
We won the first game against them, then we lost 6-0 when we were really hit hard by injuries, and then they won two shootouts. The only game Sestito played against the Bruins he did fine, but I don't buy that the 8 or so minutes he'll play per game is a necessity if we are to beat the Bruins. I'd rather have the ability to roll four lines with Wellwood on the team (if JvR is back as well), or if we want some more energy, I'd go with Rinaldo. Sestito takes too many unnecessary penalties for my taste (and it's not like Rinaldo where reputation calls make up a fair amount of them), and Rinaldo is also a better player defensively, imo.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
We won the first game against them, then we lost 6-0 when we were really hit hard by injuries, and then they won two shootouts. The only game Sestito played against the Bruins he did fine, but I don't buy that the 8 or so minutes he'll play per game is a necessity if we are to beat the Bruins. I'd rather have the ability to roll four lines with Wellwood on the team (if JvR is back as well), or if we want some more energy, I'd go with Rinaldo. Sestito takes too many unnecessary penalties for my taste (and it's not like Rinaldo where reputation calls make up a fair amount of them), and Rinaldo is also a better player defensively, imo.
IMO there is no way to dominate the Bruins without beating them at their own game, which means hitting them first before they can hit you.

I gaurantee we don't stand a chance without a little more grit - the Pens, though unsuccessfully, have been trying to rough us up - they are much smaller and less physical than the Bruins. Simmonds, though helpful against the B's, will need share the front of the net with Hartnell for most of the game, we can't afford him in the box and the way Rinaldo has been getting called this series, he won't be able to run around and hit freely - I don't think Sestito is any sort of offensive contributor but i firmly believe we would need him against Boston...maybe not against any other team but def against the Bruins.

And, we won the first game during the SCF hangover - everyone was beating them.

Last edited by FlyersMania2: 04-17-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: edited - added one sentence
Old
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
mirimon

Quote:
IMO there is no way to dominate the Bruins without beating them at their own game, which means hitting them first before they can hit you.

I gaurantee we don't stand a chance without a little more grit - the Pens, though unsuccessfully, have been trying to rough us up - they are much smaller and less physical than the Bruins. Simmonds, though helpful against the B's, will need share the front of the net with Hartnell for most of the game, we can't afford him in the box and the way Rinaldo has been getting called this series, he won't be able to run around and hit freely - I don't think Sestito is any sort of offensive contributor but i firmly believe we would need him against Boston...maybe not against any other team but def against the Bruins.

And, we won the first game during the SCF hangover - everyone was beating them.
I'm more for playing your own game and, when you consider your opponent, you are more concerned about their weaknesses and how to exploit them. That is, if the Bruins is a bigger and stronger team than us, the answer is not to try to outwrestle them, but to get the games played in other ways that suits us better.

I hope the Bruins will play like the Penguins have been doing the first three games (especially the third), then we'll beat them easily.

Anyway, I don't think it's completely out of the question that Sestito plays, I just don't buy the idea that he is essential for our chances to beat the Bruins.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:00 PM
ORYX

I don't think the way to beat Boston is mucking it up in the gutters. I'd much rather ice a big, fast and physical team. What you gain in Sestito being big, you lose in conditioning on top or already not having Rinaldo or Wellwood speed.

Adding JVR beefs up the wing size wise, and we've got Kubina, Grossman and Coburn on the back end with some size in addition to some other big forwards.

I find when this team trys to engage in the physical aspect of the game against Boston, the bruins control the play and the game. Play with speed and finish your hits. Boston can't hit what it can't catch.

With that being said, theres a game against the Pens tomorrow night.....

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:21 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I'd rather sit rinaldo than Wellwood. Let Jvr play 4th line minutes and try and get his game back.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:24 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd rather sit rinaldo than Wellwood. Let Jvr play 4th line minutes and try and get his game back.
you can't expect a goal scorer to get his game back if you're going to put him on the 4th line. If you want JVR to find his game, you put him where he excelled the most before his injury and that's on a scoring line

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:12 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you can't expect a goal scorer to get his game back if you're going to put him on the 4th line. If you want JVR to find his game, you put him where he excelled the most before his injury and that's on a scoring line
For all intensive purposes the 4th line is Voracek-Read-Rinaldo they just double shift Giroux there at times.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote