HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF: (3) Phoenix Coyotes vs. (6) Chicago Blackhawks Discussion

View Poll Results: Who wins?
PHX in 4 1 0.72%
PHX in 5 12 8.63%
PHX in 6 12 8.63%
PHX in 7 5 3.60%
CHI in 4 6 4.32%
CHI in 5 18 12.95%
CHI in 6 69 49.64%
CHI in 7 16 11.51%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
  #351
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Coyotes fan here...

Coyotes recalled Justin Pogge today

Smith, Hanzal and Korpikoski all sat out the game skate today. I know that is not necessarily a sign of anything except they are getting a day off but IF they cant go tomorrow Chicago will destroy the Coyotes.

Here's hoping all three can play so we can watch some more great playoff hockey!

Good luck.
**** that ****. Lets hope they are all out so the hawks can win.

Screw a good game, I want that sweet sweet victory.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:16 PM
  #352
LarmerAmonteSeabrook
Registered User
 
LarmerAmonteSeabrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: City of Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Coyotes fan here...

Coyotes recalled Justin Pogge today

Smith, Hanzal and Korpikoski all sat out the game skate today. I know that is not necessarily a sign of anything except they are getting a day off but IF they cant go tomorrow Chicago will destroy the Coyotes.

Here's hoping all three can play so we can watch some more great playoff hockey!

Good luck.
You probably don't know this, since your team has never gone anywhere in the playoffs. But, it's standard procedure for teams to call up minor leaguers to experience the playoff atmosphere and get some practice in with the "big guys" once their minor league team has been eliminated. Players getting called up during the playoffs don't cause me to bat my eye one bit.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:56 PM
  #353
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook View Post
You probably don't know this, since your team has never gone anywhere in the playoffs. But, it's standard procedure for teams to call up minor leaguers to experience the playoff atmosphere and get some practice in with the "big guys" once their minor league team has been eliminated. Players getting called up during the playoffs don't cause me to bat my eye one bit.
C'mon, no reason to be an ass about him not realizing that.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:01 PM
  #354
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,909
vCash: 772
Especially since the Hawks had gone soooo far up until 3 years ago...

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:08 PM
  #355
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
C'mon, no reason to be an ass about him not realizing that.
hahahaha, that was pretty harsh! its not like its a Vancouver fan...geesh.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:31 AM
  #356
Sceva Sct
on the edge
 
Sceva Sct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: limbo
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook View Post
You probably don't know this, since your team has never gone anywhere in the playoffs. But, it's standard procedure for teams to call up minor leaguers to experience the playoff atmosphere and get some practice in with the "big guys" once their minor league team has been eliminated. Players getting called up during the playoffs don't cause me to bat my eye one bit.
Our black aces are still in Portland going through exit interviews and won't be meeting with the team until they are back in Phoenix. Sorry to disturb you on your throne of omniscience.

As for the majority of the Chi fans who have been cool through the series, best of luck tomorrow. Said it on the main board before the series and I'll say it again, I'm glad Toews was able to come back for you guys. Sucks for us, but it makes for a better series the closer each team is to full health. Cheers.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:55 AM
  #357
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,260
vCash: 500
Great... they sit Smith just to get a Shaw suspension. I said it once and will say it again, the Yotes are a joke franchise that should have moved long ago to another city

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:56 AM
  #358
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,751
vCash: 500
Don't blame the coyotes, any smart team would do the same thing. The dumb NHL is at fault for all this. They all but flat out told the whole league that the actual hit doesn't matter, just whether or not the guy gets injured.

also, it behooves them to see the coyotes actually win in the playoffs, they do own the team after all

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:51 AM
  #359
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful
 
Blubba Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NE Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Great... they sit Smith just to get a Shaw suspension. I said it once and will say it again, the Yotes are a joke franchise that should have moved long ago to another city
Are you actually implying we would play LOLbarbera (and ruin any chance of winning Game 3), just to get Shaw suspended, even if Smith is fine? I think Shaw was great in Game 1, but you would have to be quite the homer to think he is more important to the Blackhawks than Smith is to the Coyotes.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:34 AM
  #360
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Are you actually implying we would play LOLbarbera (and ruin any chance of winning Game 3), just to get Shaw suspended, even if Smith is fine? I think Shaw was great in Game 1, but you would have to be quite the homer to think he is more important to the Blackhawks than Smith is to the Coyotes.
1. Smith already sit out a practice
2. Smith will leave the morning skate early, unless Shanny said what is going to happen with Shaw
3. Never said that Shaw is more important the Smith
4. It's a joke that Shanny just waits to see if the player can play or not. Shaw has to get a suspension or not based on what he did, not what happened because of it. This hit will not get better or worse because Smith can play or not.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:24 AM
  #361
BBH
34|38|61|10|13
 
BBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, US of A
Country: United States
Posts: 4,206
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Are you actually implying we would play LOLbarbera (and ruin any chance of winning Game 3), just to get Shaw suspended, even if Smith is fine? I think Shaw was great in Game 1, but you would have to be quite the homer to think he is more important to the Blackhawks than Smith is to the Coyotes.
LOL-biker-a is... well... challenged against certain teams, the Hawks being one of them. In fact, there were a LOT of teams he struggled against in the regular season, what with only 3 wins to his name. Smith has nothing wrong with him, that's as corny as an embellishment as you'll ever see. Then they talk about sitting him just to get Shaw out of their hair for one game? Coyotes=joke.

Good luck, tonight!

PS- If #ShawFact really was as important to the Hawks as Smith was to the Coyotes, Smith would've banged his head against the ice intentionally and cracked his skull just so Shaw-ster could sit a few games.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:16 AM
  #362
ducky
Registered User
 
ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Home of Kokanee Beer
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
C'mon, no reason to be an ass about him not realizing that.
Props to you. Thanks. I have been watching hockey for over 40 years. I have even cheered for teams that have won a playoff round before (including cheering for the Hawks when the Coyotes are eliminated).

I had only come on your board to update you on the Coyotes injury status (real or imagined).

My main point was IF the Coyotes are forced to play with LOL in net and without Hanzal, this series will be over in 5 games.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
  #363
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Props to you. Thanks. I have been watching hockey for over 40 years. I have even cheered for teams that have won a playoff round before (including cheering for the Hawks when the Coyotes are eliminated).

I had only come on your board to update you on the Coyotes injury status (real or imagined).

My main point was IF the Coyotes are forced to play with LOL in net and without Hanzal, this series will be over in 5 games.
Well that wouldn't be a bad thing. I like the ring of Hawks in 5 lol.

Seriously...this does look weird. Smith goes from unconscious, to completely fine as soon as Shaw gets tossed, to playing the whole game well, to saying he's 100% after the game...then when the hearing comes up he suddenly has symptoms? Come on. If Shanny falls for this twice in the same incident, then I don't know what to say.

If the guy truly is hurt then I hope he is ok. I don't want anyone injured or the Hawks to win this the cheap way. It just looks real fishy.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
  #364
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,806
vCash: 10592
I watched one of Phoenix's last regular season games and Smith got run over pretty hard and was rolling around in his net for awhile after the hit. I thought he was hurt then. Maybe that plus this latest collision combined did him in. He may have already been playing hurt.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
  #365
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,260
vCash: 500
Smith is not hurt, he is just lucky to play for this team with it's system. Otherwise he would be the goalie we know with a .90 SV%

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
  #366
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,806
vCash: 10592
The funny thing will be if Smith sucks tonight from missing practice. Worth it? I doubt it.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:58 PM
  #367
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,260
vCash: 500
Smith will not suck because he missed practice. Smith will look bad because he isn't as good as his stats say

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
  #368
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,806
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Smith will not suck because he missed practice. Smith will look bad because he isn't as good as his stats say
Based on what, he's looked damn good so far.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
  #369
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,260
vCash: 500
looking good faceing normal shots =/= great goalie

Hawks haven't had many quality chances and he hasn't made many blockbust saves. He hasn't roobed us yet

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
  #370
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Side
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Smith is good because of the system that he plays behind. No doubt he's big and athletic, but his career turned around as soon as he started playing behind a defensively-minded and well-coached team.

Smith is good in Phoenix and will continue to do so as long as the current coaching and system are in place. What we need to do is find a way to exploit some of the holes in their game. To me, that's how we'll win this series:

Our 'scoring off the rush' system won't work as well on them. They stand our offense up at the blue line well and protect the house well. Also, they're very aggressive in forechecking and backchecking.

We need to dump and chase the puck more, particularly to the fastest/strongest winger's side (Stalberg, Hossa, Bickell) and try to gain possession. Cycle the puck and hold possession to wear down their defense. Make quick, safe passes and try to stretch out their defense... hopefully opening up passing/shooting lanes on Smith. Get more guys to the net and try to screen Smith and knock in the loose change.

Defensively, we need to be more aggressive at guarding the point and putting pressure on them to pass or shoot the puck. We've seen a lot of success (via breakaways and quick odd-man transitions) when we are also aggressive. We've got a quick team, let's use that quality to our advantage.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:23 PM
  #371
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Smith is good because of the system that he plays behind. No doubt he's big and athletic, but his career turned around as soon as he started playing behind a defensively-minded and well-coached team.

Smith is good in Phoenix and will continue to do so as long as the current coaching and system are in place. What we need to do is find a way to exploit some of the holes in their game. To me, that's how we'll win this series:

Our 'scoring off the rush' system won't work as well on them. They stand our offense up at the blue line well and protect the house well. Also, they're very aggressive in forechecking and backchecking.

We need to dump and chase the puck more, particularly to the fastest/strongest winger's side (Stalberg, Hossa, Bickell) and try to gain possession. Cycle the puck and hold possession to wear down their defense. Make quick, safe passes and try to stretch out their defense... hopefully opening up passing/shooting lanes on Smith. Get more guys to the net and try to screen Smith and knock in the loose change.

Defensively, we need to be more aggressive at guarding the point and putting pressure on them to pass or shoot the puck. We've seen a lot of success (via breakaways and quick odd-man transitions) when we are also aggressive. We've got a quick team, let's use that quality to our advantage.
That, and like I've been saying we NEED to take a page from the Detroit book and soft pick those guys. Get in their lane on the way back to the bench or across the ice without intentionally grabbing them so the guy with the puck can get extra second or two to make a better play.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:26 PM
  #372
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
That, and like I've been saying we NEED to take a page from the Detroit book and soft pick those guys. Get in their lane on the way back to the bench or across the ice without intentionally grabbing them so the guy with the puck can get extra second or two to make a better play.
I dunno... DET are just masters at that move. I can definitely see our guys messing it up

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:31 PM
  #373
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,806
vCash: 10592
Our guys don't have the patience to get into games like that.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:18 PM
  #374
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
coach Joel Quenneville said there's a "good chance" rookie Brandon Saad plays in Game 4.
Kuc.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:41 PM
  #375
darkcaptain86
Registered User
 
darkcaptain86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Kuc.
our secret weapon. its all coming together...

darkcaptain86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.