HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Darcy speaks with John Vogl, says about other news outlets "tell them to call me"

Old
04-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Some other notes I made during the interview:

-Sounds like they're very interested in bringing Sulzer back, and Sulzer expressed interest in returning.

-I got the definite sense that Hecht was done as a Sabre.

-Kaleta will be back. Regier described him as the type of player the organization needs, and he possesses the qualities that the team needs more of--presumably touching on his earlier comments regarding mental toughness, heart, competitiveness, etc. How about health, or lack thereof, Darcy? Or is that trait only relevant when the organization is making excuses about missing the playoffs?

-Everything is on the table at the draft--trading up, packaging some of those picks for NHL talent, etc. My gut instinct was that he wants to move up. I found it telling that he was talking about how young talent was contributing more at an early age in the NHL. If they don't move up, I don't think it'll be from a lack of trying.

-For the first time that I've heard, I think Regier equivocated when he spoke about Miller. He couched it in language pertaining to untouchables, and how that word isn't really in his vernacular, and then he said how they were in meetings and taking a look at everything. I've only listened to the interview once, and I was jotting notes, and doing other work, so I may have missed something. But I'm definitely going to listen again later and pay close attention to what he's saying about Miller.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:42 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I missed that. Granted, regret in life is very easy, especially in looking back at not doing anything.
The tough part for me is that this isn't the first time that Regier has sat on his hands.

It doesn't appear that he's learned from making that same mistake previosuly.

I wish Regier would "play out of character" more......

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Afino
The Juice

If anyone is "untouchable", he's doing it wrong

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
-Kaleta will be back. Regier described him as the type of player the organization needs, and he possesses the qualities that the team needs more of--presumably touching on his earlier comments regarding mental toughness, heart, competitiveness, etc. How about health, or lack thereof, Darcy? Or is that trait only relevant when the organization is making excuses about missing the playoffs?
Sweet. More seasons they can use his health as an excuse as to why they didn't make the playoffs or got knocked out early. Stop relying on unreliable players.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:50 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
-Sounds like they're very interested in bringing Sulzer back, and Sulzer expressed interest in returning.
I hope so. Sulzer had good chemistry with Ehrhoff and I would expect him to not cost an arm and a leg to re-sign.

Quote:
-I got the definite sense that Hecht was done as a Sabre.
No disrespect to Jochen, but I hope he's not back. I don't have any faith that he can stay healthy enough to make a positive impact on the team.

Quote:
One has to wonder how much longer they'll hold onto Kaleta given his rep amongst refs and how he's been unable to play 70+ games a year duy to injuries because of his physical style of play.

Quote:
-Everything is on the table at the draft--trading up, packaging some of those picks for NHL talent, etc. My gut instinct was that he wants to move up. I found it telling that he was talking about how young talent was contributing more at an early age in the NHL. If they don't move up, I don't think it'll be from a lack of trying.
Regier has been able to pull off the little trade ups (Myers, Paille) but, he's never been able to pull off the big time trade up (Nash).

I hope he can parlay the picks into either a top prospect (preferably a center) or a guy that will have an impact at the NHL level next season. But, I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
-For the first time that I've heard, I think Regier equivocated when he spoke about Miller. He couched it in language pertaining to untouchables, and how that word isn't really in his vernacular, and then he said how they were in meetings and taking a look at everything. I've only listened to the interview once, and I was jotting notes, and doing other work, so I may have missed something. But I'm definitely going to listen again later and pay close attention to what he's saying about Miller.
Not too long ago, he partook in a conversation with Schopp about whether big money goalies are overrated in today's NHL.

That was the first time I heard Regier talk and wondered if he would be shopping Miller this off season.

Miller has said publicly that he wasn't where he needed to be mentally during the early part of the season.

If they want to get mentally tougher.......

Last edited by WhoIsJimBob: 04-17-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old
04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The tough part for me is that this isn't the first time that Regier has sat on his hands.

Ditto. Years of hard-earned habits don't just go away when someone has a bigger checkbook to hand out payroll.

04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Maybe Sullivan, Harrington and Gleason are afraid of getting choked with the force of Darth Regier over the phone?
I don't get the Harrington reference. He's not a freelancer. The sports editor makes the assignments. She assigned Vogl to call Darcy.

You can even let Sullivan and Gleason off the hook too. They might be deferring to Vogl for the first interview; besides, they are columnists and don't "break news."

Still, I would expect one or both of them to take the Sabres up on the offer to do an interview.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

Quote:
Ditto. Years of hard-earned habits don't just go away when someone has a bigger checkbook to hand out payroll.
It can be rationalized that, in the past Regier's bosses were okay with that complacency but his current bosses didn't and don't accept excuses that Regier previously got away with. In my line of work, we call that evolutionary pressure. Previously, he didn't have the pressure to adapt that is exerted now.

I don't really buy that, btw, but I don't think it's unreasonable.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Jim Bob ... was that just a typo?

Kaleta doesn't play 70+ games a year due to injuries? Because after looking at how many games he has played a year ...

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
That part is not a direct quote, only "tell them to call me" is.

Geez, talk about having an agenda
As usual, I'm lost. Isn't Vogl saying that Darcy said any other news outlet wanting to talk can give him a call?

The agenda belongs to those who lump Vogl's colleagues in with "any other news outlet."

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Jim Bob ... was that just a typo?

Kaleta doesn't play 70+ games a year due to injuries? Because after looking at how many games he has played a year ...

I meant that he hasn't hit the 70 games played mark because he's hurt so much.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:05 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I don't get the Harrington reference. He's not a freelancer. The sports editor makes the assignments. She assigned Vogl to call Darcy.

You can even let Sullivan and Gleason off the hook too. They might be deferring to Vogl for the first interview; besides, they are columnists and don't "break news."

Still, I would expect one or both of them to take the Sabres up on the offer to do an interview.
So if Sully and Gleason 'don't break news', why the hell do they show up in the locker room and at press conferences to ask reporter questions? A true columnist would opine about what was said during interviews, not show up to ask the questions.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:05 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
I meant that he hasn't hit the 70 games played mark because he's hurt so much.
ahh ok, yea quite true! But for what he brings, and as long as his salary doesn't get uncomfortable, if he plays 55-65 games a year ... i'll take it. He has made himself a little more valuable with the PK and defensive responsibilty getting better.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
It can be rationalized that, in the past Regier's bosses were okay with that complacency but his current bosses didn't and don't accept excuses that Regier previously got away with. In my line of work, we call that evolutionary pressure. Previously, he didn't have the pressure to adapt that is exerted now.

I don't really buy that, btw, but I don't think it's unreasonable.
Heh. He hasn't evolved, at least based on what happened this season. And expecting that to change is a tough pill to swallow. This off-season reminds me of '02 when he talked up getting tougher/more competitive and also making a splash at the draft. He managed to move up a bit to get Paille but couldn't get up to select the guy he wanted in Nash (possibly because his table was too noisy/excited to keep it under wraps and tipped MacLean off to what was happening). He swapped out Rasmussen for Mair and a couple of second rounders for Hecht. He failed to land Nash, he failed to land Grier who said they were trying hard to get him included in the Hecht deal and the "big changes" amounted to very little.

It's a bit like the Kassian/Foligno/McNabb drafting in one year and expect ONE draft to fix the lack of size and physical play for the entire development group.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
ahh ok, yea quite true! But for what he brings, and as long as his salary doesn't get uncomfortable, if he plays 55-65 games a year ... i'll take it. He has made himself a little more valuable with the PK and defensive responsibilty getting better.
I like Kaleta and you can live with a 4th liner missing time here and there due to injury easier than a top end guy. But, it does factor into the equation when you talk about how much to pay him and whether you bring him back or not.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:19 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Some other notes I made during the interview:

He was also asked if Miller was their goaltender going forward and he said "Absolutely" or something similar. Take what you will from it.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Heh. He hasn't evolved, at least based on what happened this season. And expecting that to change is a tough pill to swallow. This off-season reminds me of '02 when he talked up getting tougher/more competitive and also making a splash at the draft. He managed to move up a bit to get Paille but couldn't get up to select the guy he wanted in Nash (possibly because his table was too noisy/excited to keep it under wraps and tipped MacLean off to what was happening). He swapped out Rasmussen for Mair and a couple of second rounders for Hecht. He failed to land Nash, he failed to land Grier who said they were trying hard to get him included in the Hecht deal and the "big changes" amounted to very little.

It's a bit like the Kassian/Foligno/McNabb drafting in one year and expect ONE draft to fix the lack of size and physical play for the entire development group.
PACK MENTALITY!!!!!

The rationalization about Regier can be that he learned his lesson this time and will demonstrate that at the next opportunity. They were, of course, active at the deadline with the two trades plus the attempted Staubitz claim. As always, the proof will be in the pudding.

Since Hockey Operations isn't changing, all one can do is rationalize that the current ownership is aware of, and will not allow, the mistakes of the past to be repeated under their watch, as they were with prior ownership.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
aceface33

Quote:
I missed that. Granted, regret in life is very easy, especially in looking back at not doing anything.
The thing about regret is, it's better to regret something have done than to regret something you haven't done.

(And if you see your mom this weekend, be sure to tell her SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN)

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
And he was just asked that again with the same response ("easy answer is yes, I regret that.") Then went on to say that there weren't really trades available. Waivers not mentioned or brought up. Eh.

Old
04-17-2012, 04:16 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
And he was just asked that again with the same response ("easy answer is yes, I regret that.") Then went on to say that there weren't really trades available. Waivers not mentioned or brought up. Eh.
Except if you would have waited 30 seconds, they're discussing RIGHT NOW bringing up Kassian or Foligno.......

Old
04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

I've been thinking the same thing since listening to the audio

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Marcus wasn't ready in December. He needed the time to round out his game.

It was the number of guys slipping around on the waiver wire who could've been immediate NHL-level bodies that bothered me.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:32 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

A caller just pronounced 'Briere' as 'Bree-Air-Eee'.

/facepalm

Old
04-17-2012, 04:36 PM
BuzzKillington90

Darcy is being pretty open....interesting...also confirmed they wanna move up. They don't see many NHL ready prospects

Also pretty much said he wants to improve top line and scoring

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:47 PM
ohheyimmark

Darcy misspoke and almost called Marcus Foligno "Nick." We're getting him.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote