*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Baldy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Interesting. One that Jacko might want to read. Looks to be a proven model. Some of are leagues newer coaches have figured it out and look how they have there teams performing (Gilbert, Walker) as well as some veteran coaches (Spott, Velucci).

“According to Poile, what separates Trotz from others caught in the revolving, hired-to-be-fired coaching door is his self-awareness and the fact that “there are no airs about him. There is no vanity. He’s self-deprecating. He’ll poke fun at himself if the situation is there. For me, more than anything else, I seized on how good a person he is. That trumps everything. Barry’s got a saying and I use it all the time too. He says, ‘always do the right thing.’ That’s what Barry’s always about. He always does the right thing.” “It’s not about tearing it apart when you lose some games. It’s about bringing it together. When things aren’t going well, it’s easy to jump off the ship. The harder thing is to hold on to the ship in difficult waters – and keeping it on course.”
Trotz says the strategy to empower the players is deliberate: “We give the players ownership. We don’t micromanage them. We ask them for their input and listen to their input and make it work. That’s part of the culture.”
“the one thing that should be equal is respect. Coaching, at this level, is not about X’s and O’s. The people at this level all know the X’s and O’s of the game. It’s about getting people to buy in to what you’re doing as a group. I have one simple rule. ‘I want you to get better because that makes us better. I want you to have a good career. I want you to have an understanding of what your potential is.’”
"Always do the right thing". Wow. I'm really surprised that no one has ever thought of that before. What drivel. History is littered with examples of people who believed they were doing the 'right thing', only to have it turn out seriously bad. I don't imagine that JB, the Ciccarelli's, or even Abercrombie is sitting there and thinking, "I wonder what the wrong thing to do is, and that is what I'll do.' What one person believes is the 'right thing' has someone else thinking 'what the hell is he thinking'. As for Trotz's record. Since becoming an NHL coach 13 years ago he has missed the playoffs 6 times, lost in the 1st round 5 times and lost in the 2nd round once. This year TBA. That kind of record in Sarnia would lead to a lynching and public hanging off the Bridge. Trotz may have figured out how to handle millionaire adult crybabies, but CHL coaches have to handle crybaby kids and, far worse, their crybaby parents.
"The people at this level all know the X's and O's of the game." Sorry, not at the CHL level. This is still a development league, regardless of how great some players and their Mommy and Daddy's think they are. Some of these players and their brain dead parents think they know everything there is to know about the game. It is these kids that need their hands held by coaches and GM's, and it is these parents that need to be banned from the arena. When the players and their parents quit on a team or coach, they quit on their teammates and they quit on themselves. They are selfish, whiners and losers. Brett Ritchie and Ryan Spooner come to mind.
As for the players we traded doing better with other teams, well of course some players will do better. Kujawinski is a great little player who was playing on a very poor Kingston team. He had been playing on a Sarnia team that had far better players and unfortunatly he wasn't able to get the ice he needed. In Kingston he was able to get the proper ice time to develop and show his skill. Ritchie performed OK in Niagara because he quit on the Sting. If he put the effort into playing for the Sting as he did with Niagara we may have had different results. Maxwell is out of the playoffs, so his trade was a wash. I find it interesting how people only compare how good players that left Sarnia did. Don't hear many people talk about how great a seaon Charlie Sarault had when he CAME to the Sting. Career numbers. Something in this organization worked for that kid.
I think the Sting had a pretty damn good year considering we only had a full roster for a couple of games. Finished 4th in the West by beating some pretty good clubs. We took Saginaw to 6 games, the same Saginaw club that gave the OHL regular season champs all they could handle in the 2nd round.
I'm undecided on JB and I don't know him. The closest I've been to him is about a hundred feet or so from the other side of the rink. I will however give him the chance to prove himself when he gets a full lineup. Not his fault we suffered all the injuries this year.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:31 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
agree. 100%.
I personally don't think Yaki had fully recovered from his last blow to the head. I know there's tests and he was supposedly cleared but I also feel like he was rushed back or pressured to play due to play offs or draft status. It was obvious from game one he just wasn't himself. Spooner on the other hand looked dis interested and hoping to just move on. That trade and the Anderson trade might be just as stupid as the Campbell trade. It's amazing what GM's do when they panic and get desperate. Both first year guys trying to make a name for them self in year one. Indeed they did. Not sure it's a favorable one though.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. Yakupov was clearly not himself and I think he was rushed back more so to help the Club than his draft but he wasn't himself. I've watched him a fair bit over the past few years and I would have to say that he should've sat out in hindsight. You just don't play around with Concussions especially since he has a bright future and this always has a possibility of impacting that future.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:41 PM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
" When the players and their parents quit on a team or coach, they quit on their teammates and they quit on themselves. They are selfish, whiners and losers. Brett Ritchie and Ryan Spooner come to mind.
Don't hear many people talk about how great a seaon Charlie Sarault had when he CAME to the Sting. Career numbers. Something in this organization worked for that kid.
There were surprises and disapointments. Yes Sarault had a hell of a year. But in this old mans opinion, part of his success was due to increased ice and partyly due to his linemate Yaki. Not taking anything away from the lad, he is a skilled playmaker and may have been Jacko's best trade. But I'm pretty sure most players would benefit from being on a line with Yaki. And you will also notice his numbers tailed off when Nail was missing from the line up. While I to am disapointed I'm not sure name calling is the way to adress are frustrations. Selfish, whiners, or losers? When I was 19 those might have been the best names I was called but back then there weren't these forums to hide behind. Hell come to think of it there wasn't even personal computers.

A couple questions continue to come up. Did the players quit on the coach? Did the coach quit on the players? Both? And if any answer is yes, the obvious question is WHY? The universal law of cause and effect. What the hell was really going on. Because the bottom line is we the fans noticed there was something wrong and in the end we STH's that have stacks of PO tickets deserved a better fate.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Baldy

Quote:
There were surprises and disapointments. Yes Sarault had a hell of a year. But in this old mans opinion, part of his success was due to increased ice and partyly due to his linemate Yaki. Not taking anything away from the lad, he is a skilled playmaker and may have been Jacko's best trade. But I'm pretty sure most players would benefit from being on a line with Yaki. And you will also notice his numbers tailed off when Nail was missing from the line up. While I to am disapointed I'm not sure name calling is the way to adress are frustrations. Selfish, whiners, or losers? When I was 19 those might have been the best names I was called but back then there weren't these forums to hide behind. Hell come to think of it there wasn't even personal computers.

A couple questions continue to come up. Did the players quit on the coach? Did the coach quit on the players? Both? And if any answer is yes, the obvious question is WHY? The universal law of cause and effect. What the hell was really going on. Because the bottom line is we the fans noticed there was something wrong and in the end we STH's that have stacks of PO tickets deserved a better fate.
What the hell was really going on? Seriously? Did you not notice the number of injuries that plagued this team? I'm a long time STH also and I noticed a team that was exhausted from playing short handed for the majority of the season. I also noticed players that quit on their teammates. Why? Ask them. I watched Spooner at the last Saginaw game, after his 'injury', come up to a section where Sting fans were sitting. He came up with a limp and an ice bag. During the 2nd intermission he disappeared, only to come back at the beginning of the 3rd walking on the concourse with no limp and no ice bag. Eating a pizza. He went and sat in a different section away from Sting fans. There were more than a few grumbles amongst the group I was sitting with. I think he signed with Providence the next day or day after. And I have a much right to call out Ritchie and Spooner as UpNorth does in ripping into JB. Remember your quote:

04-11-2012 04:54 PM
krauss72
Fact is, we all have the right on these forums to express are opinions. There has been many a poster come and go but one thing remains constant, the passion for the Sting. Simply put, if you don't like a post, best advice I can give is to ignore it.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:44 PM
krauss72

Pal, I full heartedly agree. All opinions welcome, even upnorth. And I have enjoyed most of the posts out here, yours included which are usually informative and thought provoking. I was not trying to censor. I was simply stating my opinion that while I share your frustration and disapointment I'm simply old school and not a fan of calling youngins names. Not much more to read into it, every man is free to do as he wants. And hell yes, I noticed the injuries. We dropped like flies. Witch brings up a whole another question, why so many? Maybe training and conditioning should be re evaluated. I don't know that Ive ever witnessed a team so injury prone. And yes exhaustion and fatigue were factors with remaining players. I am a simpleton, a by product of age I suppose. I simply think there is more to the story. Lads at this level typically don't just quit on a coach. And I also witnessed the situation you speak of in Sag.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Baldy

Quote:
Pal, I full heartedly agree. All opinions welcome, even upnorth. And I have enjoyed most of the posts out here, yours included which are usually informative and thought provoking. I was not trying to censor. I was simply stating my opinion that while I share your frustration and disapointment I'm simply old school and not a fan of calling youngins names. Not much more to read into it, every man is free to do as he wants. And hell yes, I noticed the injuries. We dropped like flies. Witch brings up a whole another question, why so many? Maybe training and conditioning should be re evaluated. I don't know that Ive ever witnessed a team so injury prone. And yes exhaustion and fatigue were factors with remaining players. I am a simpleton, a by product of age I suppose. I simply think there is more to the story. Lads at this level typically don't just quit on a coach. And I also witnessed the situation you speak of in Sag.
Players at this level are probably more likely to quit on a coach. They are young and impressionable. Friends, fans, puck bunnies and family tell them how great they are then the coach tells them they need to improve and doesn't give them ice time or whatever. Player agrees with friends, fans, puck bunnies and family of course and starts to shut out the coach. He believes in the hype instead. As any of us who have/had kids can attest, teenagers are the worst at taking criticism or being critiqued in any way. "You don't get me!!!" "I hate you!!!" blah, blah, blah... Some of these kids in the CHL, not just the Sting, have been coddled since the first day they put on skates and if they don't get thier way they shut it down, with the parents consent and encouragement to do so. 'It's my way or I'm out'.
Training and conditioning are something I hope the Sting look at. I heard Mr. Galchenyuk trains Yakky and Gally, but not the others? Don't know how true that is. Of course Gally Sr is gone as soon as his kid is. I always wondered why it took almost a month for 4 different docs to figure out Gally had a ACL tear. In the bigs they can diagnose that before the game is over almost. A month for the Sting???

Old
04-15-2012, 10:54 PM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Players at this level are probably more likely to quit on a coach. They are young and impressionable. Friends, fans, puck bunnies and family tell them how great they are then the coach tells them they need to improve and doesn't give them ice time or whatever. Player agrees with friends, fans, puck bunnies and family of course and starts to shut out the coach. He believes in the hype instead. As any of us who have/had kids can attest, teenagers are the worst at taking criticism or being critiqued in any way. "You don't get me!!!" "I hate you!!!" blah, blah, blah... Some of these kids in the CHL, not just the Sting, have been coddled since the first day they put on skates and if they don't get thier way they shut it down, with the parents consent and encouragement to do so. 'It's my way or I'm out'.
Training and conditioning are something I hope the Sting look at. I heard Mr. Galchenyuk trains Yakky and Gally, but not the others? Don't know how true that is. Of course Gally Sr is gone as soon as his kid is. I always wondered why it took almost a month for 4 different docs to figure out Gally had a ACL tear. In the bigs they can diagnose that before the game is over almost. A month for the Sting???
That month sure would have helped us in the long run. But why only Galy and his group probably know. My guess is conflicting reports from doctors or they hoped to get a better report and hoped it wasn't as bad as they originally thought.

Last edited by krauss72: 04-15-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Not complete
Old
04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Sempron

The nominee's for the 2012 OHL Coach Of the Year are out.

Dale Hawerchuk (Barrie)
Stan Butler (Brampton)
Scott Walker (Guelph)
Steve Spott (Kitchener)
Chris Byrne (Ottawa)
Greg Gilbert (Saginaw)

winner announced tomorrow.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:16 AM
honey bee

this exclusive interview by Terry Jones, Sun Media certainly explains a lot about Yaki's performance in the playoffs. He was pouting.

"When the Oilers sit down with him before the draft, or bring him to visit owner Daryl Katz like they did with Hall and Tyler Seguin, or bring him here to have dinner at Tambellini’s home, like they did with Nugent-Hopkins, one thing they’ll definitely be asking him about is what happened in the OHL playoffs: a first-round loss to Saginaw in which he didn’t play well.

Late in the season, Mike Halmo of the Owen Sound Attack caught Yakupov with his head down and received a 10-game suspension for the hit that injured the Russian’s shoulder and put him out for the final four games of the season. He returned for the first game of the playoffs.

“I’m OK. The playoffs weren’t about being injured.

“I was not playing good in the playoffs,” he admitted. “That is true. But I was also playing nine minutes in a game, getting two, three, four shifts a period in the fourth game, the key game.

“I don’t say my coach is bad, but I was on the bench.”

Old
04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
krauss72

I must say I noticed his reduced PT to. But I didn't know why and maybe none of us know why. Maybe he wasn't completely healthy maybe he wasn't performing like he should have. But we all know pouting is wasted negative energy BUT we also know we ALL are guilty of such wasted energy on ocassion. These are young lads not mature adults yet. Although I know many adults with the same behaviours. Most teams do typically use there "star" players more frequently in important situations. What caused this situation most of us will never know the facts. He will mature as he moves into the bigs, no choice if he wants to be successful.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Sempron

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey bee View Post
this exclusive interview by Terry Jones, Sun Media certainly explains a lot about Yaki's performance in the playoffs. He was pouting.

"When the Oilers sit down with him before the draft, or bring him to visit owner Daryl Katz like they did with Hall and Tyler Seguin, or bring him here to have dinner at Tambellini’s home, like they did with Nugent-Hopkins, one thing they’ll definitely be asking him about is what happened in the OHL playoffs: a first-round loss to Saginaw in which he didn’t play well.

Late in the season, Mike Halmo of the Owen Sound Attack caught Yakupov with his head down and received a 10-game suspension for the hit that injured the Russian’s shoulder and put him out for the final four games of the season. He returned for the first game of the playoffs.

“I was not playing good in the playoffs,” he admitted. “That is true. But I was also playing nine minutes in a game, getting two, three, four shifts a period in the fourth game, the key game.

good for the kid for being honest. larinov must not have preped him for the pollitically correct bs answer to that question. in a way the kid has a point even though we dont like his answer. we supposedly went for it this year because of him and gally being here and then in crunch time he sits the bench. makes you wonder.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:44 PM
mkraayen

One of Sting draft picks has tweeted that he has U-17's this weekend followed by Sting rookie camp the next - meaning it will be sometime between Fri April 27th & Sunday April 29th - for those interested.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Baldy

Sting mini camp

http://www.sarniasting.com/article/2...camp-announced

Old
04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
mkraayen

StingGate

Wondered when I last voted for Sting 3rd jersey how the total # of votes jumped from approx. 21,000 to 70,000+ in a time frame of just over 24 hours.
This explains it:
"Voting on the 3rd Jersey Design Contest has been suspended as the voting system has been compromised.
The winning design will be announced on Tuesday April 24th"
http://sarniasting.com/article/jerse...-are-announced

Sounds like somebody's been caught cheating...
...all to win a jersey contest. Boy oh boy, that's sad.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:13 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Sarnia's 4th round pick of 2012 OHL Draft will not be coming to the Sting next year as Josh Jacobs signed with the Indiana Ice (USHL) today. He wouldve helped a lot

Old
04-20-2012, 12:03 AM
mkraayen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Sarnia's 4th round pick of 2012 OHL Draft will not be coming to the Sting next year as Josh Jacobs signed with the Indiana Ice (USHL) today. He wouldve helped a lot
Jacobs will probably play his two years in the US before he is old enough to go the college route. After those 2 years he will then also be NHL draft eligible. How early & which team he is drafted by, will probably go a long ways in determining which direction his commitment will go (MSU or Sarnia).

Old
04-20-2012, 07:35 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Pretty taletale. The Yakkie - Gally pitch about the scouts doesn't carry the same weight after the lack of performance this year. Hopefully some of the other draft picks will surprise to the upside. The best thing about this organization is the scouting staff.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Stevie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey bee View Post

This is the reason Yakupov's draft stock has dropped in my opinion. Yakupov is an individual player and while his defensive responsibility has been better this year then last the consistent all around effort isn't there. And if he is going to pout and not put a 100% effort in because his ice time drops maybe Columbus should get him.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:05 PM
mkraayen

Hoping someone can provide some insight following tomorrow's on-ice rookie mini camp sessions. I can't make it.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:55 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraayen View Post
Hoping someone can provide some insight following tomorrow's on-ice rookie mini camp sessions. I can't make it.
I'm heading to the rink and will post my observations

Old
04-28-2012, 04:24 PM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
I'm heading to the rink and will post my observations
Looking forward to what you have to say about what you saw today. I can't make it either due to work commitments. Darn job!

Old
04-28-2012, 07:03 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Some quick thoughts on the scrimmage:

- All but three defensemen participating in the mini-camp scrimmage were "free agents". I think we can safely assume that there will only be one-two open spots on the backend with all of the returning defensemen (Chiarlitti, Murphy, Kuzmyk, DeAngelo, Duininck, Luciani, DiPaolo)

- Mike DiPaolo actually skated as a forward during the scrimmage so they may be seeing how he looks for some added size.

- Nathan Mater, Daniel Nikandrov and Davis Brown were all VERY good. Mater was probably the most impressive player of the returning players. Davis Brown played his "game" - sniping like he can. Sarnia is going to need his skillset.

- Jordan Addesi (4th round pick, 2012) did not play and I assume it was because of injury.

- Missing from the camp roster was 2011 4th round pick, Braxton Andrews. He was at the main camp to start the season so it was weird that he was not there.

-Obviously, with Josh Jacobs signing on with Indiana Ice (USHL), he was not there either.

- Brett Hargrave (1st Rd, 2012): I was expecting him to dominate this game with his size (especially against a ton of smaller skaters) but he was pretty invisible. He certainly plays a simple north-south game and I was impressed with his breakout passing abilities but other than wicked shot to score he was pretty disappointing. As long as Sarnia fans aren't expecting another 1st round superstar (like Gally) then he should be an effective player playing a simple game.

Alexandre Renaud(2nd Rd, 2012) To me, Renaud was more impressive than Hargrave in this scrimmage. I loved his compete level and puck pursuit. Renaud will have to play within his own ability to maximize his skills and as long as he maintains good positioning he should become a good offensive option. I still think Sarnia picked him higher than he should have but I am hoping his work ethic rubs off on the rest of the team.

Patrick White (5th Rd, 2012): It's clear that Patrick has some skills but he is certainly going to need to add significant strength to maximize his offensive skills as he was easily knocked off the puck today.

Matteo Ciccarelli(5th Rd, 2012): Another small player but Matteo was very good today. I was especially impressed with his hockey sense as he was always in good position and made the right decisions. He's a stocky 5'9" player so I do feel as though he can become a good 3rd/4th line player for Sarnia in the mode of a Craig Hottot role.

Ryan Hergott (7th Rd, 2012): Lanky (6'3") goaltender played alright. I'm not a good judge of goaltender talent and it's tough especially in these "scrimmages" too. Plus....we all know the Sting's history of developing goalies so let's just hope things change.

Cam Ashley (9th Rd, 2012): Love, love, loved this small kid especially considering he was a 9th round selection. Ashley was all over the puck today and was by far the best first-year player at mini-camp. I believe he scored (at least) a hat trick and he showed some good tenacity and puck skills.

Jeff King (10th Rd, 2012): Speedy small defenseman. He will certainly need to add some size and strength. Looks to be a project.

Zach Core (11th Rd, 2012) One of the nice surprises. Sarnia got great value with the Core pick in the 11th round. He was the best defenseman by far making smart crisp passes and played pretty flawless. With a full returning defensive core, look for Zach Core to develop hopefully playing junior B somewhere.

Ryan Vendramin (13th Rd, 2012): Vendramin was a pleasant surprise as he was one of the hardest workers out there and seemed to play a very effective complimentary role. For a 13th round pick, Ryan made some smart decisions and executed some nice passing plays. He was always buzzing around the puck as well.

Marc Audet (15th Rd, 2012): To be honest, I noticed Audet the most of all the participating goaltenders as he seemed to have good positioning and decent size in the net.

Keegan Hnatiw (Free Agent): Hnatiw is the 94-born kid from Yellowknife. He has very good size but was a major disappointment in the scrimmage as he didn't use it at all. In fact, he got knocked around quite a bit in the game for being one of the bigger forwards. He might have been nervous so I will give him a break. He did seem to have good puck skills but I think he was trying to "not mess up" more than just playing his game. I could be wrong but I don't see a future in the OHL based on what I observed today. I hope I am wrong.

Dylan Wilson-Foote (Free Agent) The Strathroy Rocket defender was quite noticeable out there as he was involved in a few of the bigger hits in the game.

Kurtis Sander (Free Agent) Played in Stayner (JrC). Sander played a solid game on the backend. Nothing flashy but was effective at getting his forwards the puck

Billy Exell (11th Rd, 2011): Played well today showing his speed and vision.

Those are the players that made some sort of impression on me today. Most of them stand little chance at cracking the 2012-13 opening day roster (save Brown, Hargrave, Renaud, Ashley) but it will be interesting to see who returns for the main camp and how they perform.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:40 AM
JuniorFan27
Rookie User

Nikandrov, DiPaolo and Brown did look good, but they'd better - they have a year of JR experience and they were playing primarily against kids coming out of minor midget or midget.

I focused on the defensemen, here are a few that stood out:

Core was impressive, size isn't great but skates well and made good puck decisions. Very puck smart.

Du Puy - good size, nice skater, would look awesome one shift then commit an awful giveaway the next. Needs to use his size more.

Sapone looked good too, however he made a few poor passes - could just have been nerves.

Wilson-Foote - nice hitter, needs to work on skating. Loves the physical stuff.

Donnelly hit someone hard every shift. Leveled Brown with the best hit of the game. Moved the puck well, was very vocal.

Brandon - why was he there? Big, but slow, always out of position, was on for at least have of the Black team goals against. Must be someone's nephew.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:59 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Most of the defensemen were there just to fill out the roster so that a scrimmage could be had.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:55 PM
getrdone71

Quote:
Most of the defensemen were there just to fill out the roster so that a scrimmage could be had.

Just to touch on someone said about the Wilkson-foote. Kid. He was good but he wasn't the one throwing his body around. He wasn't wearing the #55 that's was slated on the print out we had Wilson-foote was wearing #8(black). And a kid from the lambton jr sting aaa was wearing the # 55 black.
I was pretty pumped when I seen him throw a few checks and I was like that Wilson-Foote kid is awesome. Then when the kid skated towards us I notice the last name wasn't his. I don't have the sheet in front of me right now but when I do get it I will post it.

Closed Thread