HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Domi vs Cairns

Old
04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Epoch

vCash: 500
Domi vs Cairns

Passed the ten year anniversary of this great fight recently, figured it was worth a post.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Domi has a head like a pumpkin. Damn.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Destroyer100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
Passed the ten year anniversary of this great fight recently, figured it was worth a post.

Can't wait to see Max Domi in the NHL.

Destroyer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Cairns was a monster. So was Domi.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:35 AM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Domi had a habit of smiling after being punched and he was one tough fighter.

bobg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
domi has a head like a pumpkin cinderblock. Damn.
fify

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Mynameismark*

That fight built up to a friggin fantastic playoff series.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:32 PM
CLF4life
Bourque ** Lidstrom

P4P Tie was the toughest player ever!! Hands and head of pure cement!!

CLF4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:15 PM
seeweed

i miss domi!

seeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I miss Cairns.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:14 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF4life View Post

That's because he was a midget.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:

I always called him Bowling Ball head.

Shaped like a bowling ball, hard as a rock and full of holes.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:08 PM
KrisBeKreame

What is Domi doing these days? I know Cairns is a Scout/development coach for the Islanders.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
That fight built up to a friggin fantastic playoff series.
Definitely the best first round series for a while. Those teams hated each other. Tucker taking out Peca's knee, Tucker jumping Jason Blake, Roberts boarding Kenny Jonsson, Roberts trying to pick fights with Czerkawski, the whole Cairns-Corson and Bates-Tucker battle, Tie Domi and Jim Cummins, I could just go on and on.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
What is Domi doing these days? I know Cairns is a Scout/development coach for the Islanders.
I saw Domi and Kypreos about two weeks ago on the Danforth here in Toronto at a Greek restaurant.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:11 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Domi wins hands down! What a homer announcer. Domi is the best pound for pound fighter in the history of the NHL. Miss watching him on the ice

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF4life View Post
No, not really. Aurel Joliat was much tougher than Domi and was a first liner.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Domi wins hands down! What a homer announcer. Domi is the best pound for pound fighter in the history of the NHL. Miss watching him on the ice
Absolutely. 5'10" nasty SOB, and the guy could play the game/wasn't a goon-type player. The incident in the Flyers-Leafs playoffs series was pretty classic too

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Don't think so.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:28 AM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Taking nothing away from Joliat, but he played in the 20's and 30's...
I find it really hard ro believe you can so definitively tell us he was much tougher than Domi, or anyone else for that matter.
If you were 10 yrs old when you saw him fight, that would make you at least 90+ years of age, and my guess is you are not posting on here at that age.
More likely you have heard 2nd and 3rd hand stories about Joliat (at best). That is not a lot to go on, is it?

I really disliked Tie at times throughout his career, but I have a tonne of respect for him. He was an absolute warrior. Based upon the other tougher, smaller fighters I've seen, ranging from Jonathan to Rypien, Tie was by far the best. He fought the best of the best for a long long time amd traded shots with them to boot. No wrestling or trying to get position all fight. Tie was by far the best little guy I ever saw, and rightfully should be mentioned amongst the best of all time. In my opinion he is a legit name to mention in the top 20 of all time.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:49 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
Taking nothing away from Joliat, but he played in the 20's and 30's...
I find it really hard ro believe you can so definitively tell us he was much tougher than Domi, or anyone else for that matter.
If you were 10 yrs old when you saw him fight, that would make you at least 90+ years of age, and my guess is you are not posting on here at that age.
More likely you have heard 2nd and 3rd hand stories about Joliat (at best). That is not a lot to go on, is it?

I really disliked Tie at times throughout his career, but I have a tonne of respect for him. He was an absolute warrior. Based upon the other tougher, smaller fighters I've seen, ranging from Jonathan to Rypien, Tie was by far the best. He fought the best of the best for a long long time amd traded shots with them to boot. No wrestling or trying to get position all fight. Tie was by far the best little guy I ever saw, and rightfully should be mentioned amongst the best of all time. In my opinion he is a legit name to mention in the top 20 of all time.
Your argument is flawed. You are basically saying that we shouldn't trust second and third hand stories about Domi 80 years. Domi was tough but Joliat battled guys like Shore and Cleghorn.

Quote:
Despite six shoulder separations, three broken ribs, and routine injuries such as five nose fractures, Aurel went on to score 270 goals, tying Morenz on the all-time list. He was also an outstanding checker, capable of stopping an opponent and then quickly starting a rush of his own.

"Well, I guess I was tough enough," Aurel said in later years. "You had to be to survive. But I wasn't the toughest. That mule-headed son-of-a-***** Eddie Shore was the meanest, toughest player I ever met. I was rushin' up the ice at the Forum one night when my lights went out. Shore hit me with a check that almost killed me. I was what? 130 pounds at the time and he must have been 190. He dislocated my shoulder and they carried me off in a lot of pain. Then I look around and Shore is leading a fancy rush. Forget the sore shoulder. I leaped over the boards and intercepted the big bugger. Hit him with a flyin' tackle. Hit him so hard he was out cold on the ice. He had it comin' I'd say . . ."

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
IComeInPeace

If someone is saying Joilat is the best pound for pounder in history, Id say its pretty much a lock that is not a 2nd hand story...likely a 4th or 5th hand story at best.

For the record, yes, I put little to no weight on 2nd or 3rd hand accounts unless I know who the source of those accounts are.

I have read articles proclaiming Mark Messier, Gordie Howe, Larry Robinson and others as not only great fighters, but guys who may have been the best ever. Complete bullcrap. Great fighters for good players I agree with. Great fighters compared to guys who did it full time for a living: not a chance. Messier would have been in the same class of fighter as a Kelly Buchberger. Yet, I believe The Hockey News had him in the top 3 of all time.

So yes, I like to consider the source of all info I am expected to take as fact.

I have no problem believing Joliat was tough as nails, but when someone posts that:
Quote:
"No, not really. Aurel Joliat was much tougher than Domi and was a first liner."
I sense this is someone who has no problem stretching the truth to make a point. There is no one
that was much tougher than Domi pound for pound. To make such an assertion tells me this person is willing to stretch the truth to get people to see things as he does...

To me that means this person is not a credible source of info.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Brings back memories. That Leafs/Isles first round series back in...what was it, 2001? 2002? Was absolutely freaking epic. It had the most bone-jarring hits per game that I can recall in a series of late.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:39 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
If someone is saying Joilat is the best pound for pounder in history, Id say its pretty much a lock that is not a 2nd hand story...likely a 4th or 5th hand story at best.

For the record, yes, I put little to no weight on 2nd or 3rd hand accounts unless I know who the source of those accounts are.

I have read articles proclaiming Mark Messier, Gordie Howe, Larry Robinson and others as not only great fighters, but guys who may have been the best ever. Complete bullcrap. Great fighters for good players I agree with. Great fighters compared to guys who did it full time for a living: not a chance. Messier would have been in the same class of fighter as a Kelly Buchberger. Yet, I believe The Hockey News had him in the top 3 of all time.

So yes, I like to consider the source of all info I am expected to take as fact.

I have no problem believing Joliat was tough as nails, but when someone posts that:

I sense this is someone who has no problem stretching the truth to make a point. There is no one
that was much tougher than Domi pound for pound. To make such an assertion tells me this person is willing to stretch the truth to get people to see things as he does...

To me that means this person is not a credible source of info.
You do know that Larry Robinson had no problem punching the lights out of "the hammer". Seriously, you obviously have no clue at all about the history of hockey. Why are you even arguing?

Howe rarely had to fight because nobody wanted to go with him. Every once in a while he will take on some cocky idiot and leave them bloody and destroyed on the ice.

Pound for pound? Yes, Domi was about 215 pounds and were up against 225-235s. I'm unimpressed.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:06 PM
IComeInPeace

You are a conventional wisdom guy...the type that if a story is repeated often enough, it must be true.

Yes Robinson beat Schultz. I have seen the fight, and read many different accounts of it (there was a big subject on the matter at hockeyfights.com).
I would suggest I know more about Gordie Howe's fistic prowess than you do. However I dont just go by popular accounts written by writers who often thought the person who got the takedown won the fight.

How did the great Gordie Howe (who I absolutely love as a player) respond when repeatedly challenged by Fernie Flaman? A guy like Flaman, and many other lesser known players would have beat Howe more often than not. But that doesnt make for an impressive a story as writing something totally ignorant such as "not only was Messier one of the greatest ever players, he could be devasting when provoked to fight...many people consider him to be the best fighter of all time..."
Pure hyperbole. No one that knows hockey fighting would consider Messier, Howe, Robinson, or even Dave Schultz to be amongst the elite fighters of all time. Schultz was a good fighter, but a great goon. I would suggest that out of 100 people posting their all time top 10 or 20 lists on hf.com, Schultz's name would come up much less than 10% of the time.

Here's a second hand account (by an old timer old enough to have read it by himself in the NY Times):
He (Flaman) didn't like talking about the fighting it was just something he had to do. And you also got to see Ferny (I think you used this description before) ragdoll Howe tearing the jersey off his back as Gordie stayed behind the refs. I think you said Howe came into the boards elbows high and didn't know it was Flaman behind him and Ferny lost it. Might be my favorite story. I think the New York Times quote was some thing like "Flaman challenged Howe to a fight throwing a couple punches and tearing the jersey off Howes back and Gordie wanted no part of him"