HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Scott Allen, Dean Chynoweth & Ryan Ward Not Renewed

Old
04-17-2012, 05:26 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyifan12 View Post
How about Eric Cairns as an assistant?
That wouldn't be surprising in the least, but it would be a dangerous move for Snow and Wang. If you put Weight and Cairns behind the bench with Capuano, you have two pretty popular former Isles there, and the fans are unlikely to blame them when things go wrong, so all the blame will land on Fred and the boys upstairs.

By the way, we still have two goaltending coaches. How is that possible?

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post

By the way, we still have two goaltending coaches. How is that possible?
Wasn't Sudsie DPs personal guy? Obviously with DP always on the shelf that leaves Sudsie to help the other goalies

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Are you sure they are hiring anyone to back fill? I count at least two positions that have remained vacant. One being the director of scouting during a rebuild no less. I bet Chuckie pooh has been to at least kindergarten deck hockey game and noticed only one coach behind the bench, then thrown it out during snuggle movie night with Snow & Lil' Ricky that cutting back on coaches would open more leg room for the head coach to walk around on during games looking like a lost little puppy dog.

On your first question, he let their contracts expire as opposed to cutting them last summer, and paying them and their replacements. Sorry for not being clear...
On the 1st paragraph, you are assuming that just because a head scouting position is vacant that they won't fill in 2 vacant assistant coaches with at least one new coach. That is a big bridge to gap over. Especially if the conspiracy theorists are right and Weight is the air apparent to Fred Flinstone. Then if he is the only assistant then Weight has to go out and find at least 1 more assistant to help him.

To the second thing, oh ok paying them and their replacements? I really didn't realize that there contracts, maybe even most/all of other NHL assistant coaches contracts are guaranteed. I admittedly, am not up on contract legalese about NHL assistants.

Lastly, let me throw this out of context:
Quote:
then thrown it out during snuggle movie night with Snow & Lil' Ricky

What the hell are you doing that you know about a private snuggle movie night? Is there something you want to tell us???

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Should be interesting to see what happens in this department.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Whats the question?

Yes, they were both Gordon left overs. Remember that Gordon had Nolan's leftovers as well his first year. Gordon actually came out and said (via Botta) that he had a choice but decided to stick with Nolan's guys (Lacroix and Gallant) because both were professionals and he preferred to not make waves. But once their contracts expired, he got new assistants as well (Allen and Dean).

I wish I could find that article in which Botta discusses the situation of hiring assistants right after Gordon was hired.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...coaching-move/

04-17-2012, 11:10 AM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Dougie Weight will remain on-board, right? He's got head coach written all over him, one day.

LOVE Weight..

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I'm talking about Gordon's tenure at the start. He inherited assistant coaches as well, but apparently he was given a choice (according to an IPB article) and he still decided to stick with Lacroix and Gallant.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:51 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Dougie Weight will remain on-board, right? He's got head coach written all over him, one day.

LOVE Weight..
I'd take him over Fred any day.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
On the 1st paragraph, you are assuming that just because a head scouting position is vacant that they won't fill in 2 vacant assistant coaches with at least one new coach. That is a big bridge to gap over. Especially if the conspiracy theorists are right and Weight is the air apparent to Fred Flinstone. Then if he is the only assistant then Weight has to go out and find at least 1 more assistant to help him.

To the second thing, oh ok paying them and their replacements? I really didn't realize that there contracts, maybe even most/all of other NHL assistant coaches contracts are guaranteed. I admittedly, am not up on contract legalese about NHL assistants.

Lastly, let me throw this out of context:

What the hell are you doing that you know about a private snuggle movie night? Is there something you want to tell us???
Re: Filling positions, I am wildly guessing. I really hope I am wrong. I mean, how much lower can these people sink, like someone in a car wreck punching themselves in the face.

Re: contracts, somehow Wang was able to ignore the one with Neil but that's not the norm. Usually you sign a contract for a certain time frame and the club owns your rights. I know of at least one instance when someone traded for the right to negotiate with a coach who was laid off so to speak, but finishing out his paychecks per contract.

Re: Snuggle Movie Nights - 99% DP highlights, 1% scouting tape.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:59 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post

LOVE Weight..
The one game he head coached we had two Too Many Men penalties. That's not a good sign IMO.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Should be interesting to see what happens in this department.
my guess , Weight adds his handpicked assistant to handle the defenseman coaching aspect .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
The one game he head coached we had two Too Many Men penalties. That's not a good sign IMO.
Actually, I think he was smart enough to figure out the team's only chance of making the playoffs. Not his fault the refs caught it.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Re: Filling positions, I am wildly guessing. I really hope I am wrong. I mean, how much lower can these people sink, like someone in a car wreck punching themselves in the face.

Re: contracts, somehow Wang was able to ignore the one with Neil but that's not the norm. Usually you sign a contract for a certain time frame and the club owns your rights. I know of at least one instance when someone traded for the right to negotiate with a coach who was laid off so to speak, but finishing out his paychecks per contract.

1st RE: I guess the whole thing is what someone else pointed out that we have 2 goalie coaches but 1 assistant coach in Weight. I say 1 more experienced assistant coach. A fiery Weight and a guy who is experienced more than Chynoweth & and more animated than Allen.To me we need someone to push Fred, he needs a fire under him and if they barely get in next year or miss again, I hope he is gone.
2nd RE:Thank you, I really don't know the first thing about contracts,let along assistant NHL coaches contracts.
3rd RE: I want to say something funny here about DP, but I don't want to get kicked off of good 'ol HF.

Last edited by Pnut: 04-18-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

Wang didn't ignore Smiths deal. It was settled.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
He also changed up lines, something that took Cappy way too long to do all season long.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 05:47 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Wang didn't ignore Smiths deal. It was settled.
Smith had to sue to collect.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

So Cappy isn't held accountable, but axe the rest of the staff behind him....... ok.... makes sense.... in Islanders land!

And why even bother keeping Cappy when they've been underminding him with Doug Weight anyway...

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:16 PM
BennyBST

Mike Haviland

He was let go by the Blackhawks. I'm hoping we can pick him up either as an assistant or for head coach of Bridgeport if Thompson joins the NHL staff. I wanted him as a coach when we hired Gordon. Well respected and has a great winning backround thoughts?

Here are his coaching records.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=6363

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:22 PM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
He was let go by the Blackhawks. I'm hoping we can pick him up either as an assistant or for head coach of Bridgeport if Thompson joins the NHL staff. I wanted him as a coach when we hired Gordon. Well respected and has a great winning backround thoughts?
Brian Compton? Is that you?

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

WOW came here too say this....

I think somone will givew him HC consideration though....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:41 PM
KrisBeKreame

I would love him here as an assistant so if Capuano faulters he can be slotted in as the interim.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Islanderfan17

I'm so pissed that Cappy is going to be the coach again....guy was brutal this season.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Quote:

I was coming to post (pretty much) the same thing.

But, chances are he's too pricey for the Isles and won't fit into the Wanger's budget.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
We might have some hope if we bring this guy in, I've nothing but positive things about him and obviously anyone would be better than Capuano honestly. I thought he was the right guy for this club too at the end of last year but this year his was totally different for some reason.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:57 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
Quote:

Leave Thompson in Bridgeport for now, Haviland has NHL experience. The guys down there need some consistency as far as coaching.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote