Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
i wouldnt sign koivu unless it was cheap...we should save our money and go after Suter
Yes, I'm sure we'll beat out 29 other teams for Suter.......lol.

When was the last major FA signing we made? And no Nieds doesn't count.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
QuackAttack90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post

Federov 9 years ago

QuackAttack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:

Lydman turned out the best of that year FA defenseman ( in last season ). But yeah, i know it is not what you tried to say.

I`m sure if we would have more money, we would go after some great players.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:03 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

How does Nieds not count?
It's about money, if we offered Suter the best deal, we could sign him

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
How does Nieds not count?
It's about money, if we offered Suter the best deal, we could sign him
Niedermayer was a bit of a unique circumstance. His brother was already here, and he wanted to play with his brother. Scotty actually took less money than what New Jersey was offering him to do that.

Offering Suter the best deal may end up handicapping the Ducks in the future.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:03 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Niedermayer was a bit of a unique circumstance. His brother was already here, and he wanted to play with his brother. Scotty actually took less money than what New Jersey was offering him to do that.

This.

How are we going to keep

Suter 7.5 exp
Getzlaf 5.5/ 6.5-7 exp
Perry 5.5/ 6.5-7 exp
Beauchemin 4 exp
Hiller 4.5/ 5+ exp
Ryan 5.5
Fowler 3.5-4 exp
Sbisa 2.5

That's like an expected 37 million tied up in 8/23 players. I'd rather not sign him if at all possible.

Suter isn't the first but I've seen all kinds of people suggest and try do so as intelligently and logically as possible that Anaheim use 7 million to try to sign Weber or Suter or Parise like you can just throw money at players without repercussions

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:34 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post

This.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
This.

How are we going to keep

Suter 7.5 exp
Getzlaf 5.5/ 6.5-7 exp
Perry 5.5/ 6.5-7 exp
Beauchemin 4 exp
Hiller 4.5/ 5+ exp
Ryan 5.5
Fowler 3.5-4 exp
Sbisa 2.5

That's like an expected 37 million tied up in 8/23 players. I'd rather not sign him if at all possible.

Suter isn't the first but I've seen all kinds of people suggest and try do so as intelligently and logically as possible that Anaheim use 7 million to try to sign Weber or Suter or Parise like you can just throw money at players without repercussions
Weber dont want to sign with Preds for 7m. Why in the hell he would like to do so with us? Can we forget about signing SSutter and just focus on some more realistic options?

Not pointing fingers on anyone... just quit this BS. We have Getz, Perry, Fowler and Palmieri waiting for re-sign (all will get salary rise).

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
*puts on body armor*

I think Suter is a bit over-rated.

*ducks and runs*

-----

Don't get me wrong, I think he's one of the top defensemen in the league. But whenever I see people talking about getting him for their team, I get the feeling that everybody thinks we'll be getting Nashville-level defense with just one buy. Obviously that's not true, but we already have a number 1 defenseman called Beauchemin (who most seem to be happy with) and another young gun called Fowler in the making. Plus possibly Schultz, Vatanen and Sbisa. Do we even have enough minutes to give all of them?

Sure the lineup of

Beauchemin - Suter
Fowler - Visnovsky
Sbisa - Schultz/Vatanen/Lydman

sounds nice. But players like Suter thrive on big minutes. So does Beauchemin and Fowler. Also the youngsters need to get good minutes to develop.

Plus the last thing this team needs a big-cap FA signing. We don't need another superstar. We've got Getzy and Perry. Maybe Selanne. Plus the defensemen are developing nicely. What we need are those "support" forwards, definitely a 2C. While obviously I'd take Suter if we could get him at 5M, which is impossible. But taking him at 7-8M... What kind of message would that send to our current core?

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
But taking him at 7-8M... What kind of message would that send to our current core?
That management wants to win. There's not a chance in hell we get Suter but to say he wouldn't improve the team dramatically at $7M per year is just wrong.

But it doesn't matter, he'll either be going to a contender or a team that drastically overpays. We're not going to be either.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
*puts on body armor*

I think Suter is a bit over-rated.

*ducks and runs*

-----

Don't get me wrong, I think he's one of the top defensemen in the league. But whenever I see people talking about getting him for their team, I get the feeling that everybody thinks we'll be getting Nashville-level defense with just one buy. Obviously that's not true, but we already have a number 1 defenseman called Beauchemin (who most seem to be happy with) and another young gun called Fowler in the making. Plus possibly Schultz, Vatanen and Sbisa. Do we even have enough minutes to give all of them?

Sure the lineup of

Beauchemin - Suter
Fowler - Visnovsky
Sbisa - Schultz/Vatanen/Lydman

sounds nice. But players like Suter thrive on big minutes. So does Beauchemin and Fowler. Also the youngsters need to get good minutes to develop.

Plus the last thing this team needs a big-cap FA signing. We don't need another superstar. We've got Getzy and Perry. Maybe Selanne. Plus the defensemen are developing nicely. What we need are those "support" forwards, definitely a 2C. While obviously I'd take Suter if we could get him at 5M, which is impossible. But taking him at 7-8M... What kind of message would that send to our current core?
Beauchemin isn't a #1 defenseman, the Ducks have none at this point. Beuchemin, Fowler and Visnovsky are all mediocre #2's right now (2nd pairing guys on a contender). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Murray should go after Suter and really I don't see a chance for the Ducks getting him. I think we'll have to hope for Fowler to emerge or Visnovsky to bounce back to get a good #2 guy next season. As for #1 defensemen, I think it could be a while until we have one again on the backend. Until then, we'll have to rely on depth.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:26 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I'd love Suter. More than Weber. 7 million, even 8 million.

No we can't afford him without subtracting something, but I would gladly move out any player not named Getzlaf to fit him. I like Perry better than Getzlaf, but center is harder to replace.

But we have no chance so not much point in discussing it.

BTW I would say our highest profile UFA signing is Schneider. He was the 2nd best offensive defenseman that offseason after Rafalski.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I'd love Suter. More than Weber. 7 million, even 8 million.

No we can't afford him without subtracting something, but I would gladly move out any player not named Getzlaf to fit him. I like Perry better than Getzlaf, but center is harder to replace.

But we have no chance so not much point in discussing it.

BTW I would say our highest profile UFA signing is Schneider. He was the 2nd best offensive defenseman that offseason after Rafalski.
Yeah and he signed when we were a contender. I highly doubt he signs here if we finish 6th place in the West and have a 1st round exit the year before. Winning and/or overpaying have been the only way we've ever attracted the few big name UFAs we've signed (Nieds and Selanne don't really count).

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote