HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cammalleri, Gomez & Gionta VS Koivu, Kovalev & Tanguay? (From July 2009)

View Poll Results: Which one?
Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta 169 73.16%
Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay 62 26.84%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2009, 01:18 PM
  #51
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgRiVaToRR View Post
Old Line: about 13m

New Line: 18

We could have kept the old line and got a guy like Beauchemin.

Keep the old line and continue to struggle to make the playoffs and win games or take the new line for $3.5 million more and finish in the top 4 in the conference?? Let me see what I would rather.

And as for Beauchemin....he can take a hike. The only reason why his name is mentioned is because he is french. If it wasn't for playing with Pronger...we'd never hear a thing about him.

I'd take Spacek and Gill over Beauchemin anyday.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:32 PM
  #52
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Trios, not duos, but I would rather have Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev, Higgins, and McDonagh on my team than the New Schtroumpfs. Not meaning any disrespect to the new players with that, really, they're all pretty decent. But 5 assets vs. 3 and more cap flexibility would appeal to me more.
5 assets that proved they can't win...last year, we had the best team on paper in years, but Koivu simply can't carry the team anymore, Kovalev, as good as he is, can't play 2 good games in a row, Higgins, who is the new Brian Savage, Tanguay, who while good, is soft, and McDonaugh, who might become good, but has yet to reach the pros...

At least, we now have stanley cup winners who are better offensively and younger than those 5 players...

Freaky Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:35 PM
  #53
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You mean trio right?

I think its a sideways move. I'd rather have not made the trade if for no other reason than we would've kept McD.
I think people have to stop talking about McDonagh already. It seems like we traded away the best Defensive prospect in the league, which is quite far from the truth.

Also, Gainey had to change his top center, there was no Koivu/Plekanec tandem again. That much was clear and if I recall pretty much everybody agreed here.

Now, he tried bringing in Vinny but to no success. Len Barrie clearly won't budge on the idea of letting his big center go. So, having tried time and time again, he had to look for another one and if you look around the league there isn't too many first line centers available, none of which were UFAs.
So please, can you find me which center could have been had for Higgins and McDo??..Because I don't think too many teams would have agreed to one.

We can't expect to make deals and not give away good prospects. We have a bunch of good ones on D, it was obvious one was gonna be traded.
Weber and Subban to me were/are better prospects than McDo and are two best on D. I'm glad it's not one of them that went the other way.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:47 PM
  #54
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
As of now, I think it's quite close.

I would say that individually, Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay might be better than the other 3. I think Tanguay is the best of the 6 players. Kovalev is better than Gionta, and Gomez is a slight improvement over Koivu. This is on an individual basis.

With that said, considering their age and the fact that these players seem to complement each other extremely well, I am happy with CGG. I am also happy and excited about the change in direction. I just hope I'm as excited in 6 months from now.

I accidentally clicked on the wrong answer (not having fully read the questions).

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:49 PM
  #55
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Keep the old line and continue to struggle to make the playoffs and win games or take the new line for $3.5 million more and finish in the top 4 in the conference?? Let me see what I would rather.

And as for Beauchemin....he can take a hike. The only reason why his name is mentioned is because he is french. If it wasn't for playing with Pronger...we'd never hear a thing about him.

I'd take Spacek and Gill over Beauchemin anyday.
Not that I disagree with you, in principle, but I think you might be getting ahead of yourself a little here. This team could just as easily flop if you ask me.

It's a big gamble.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:51 PM
  #56
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,094
vCash: 500
I meant trio by the way, not duo.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
  #57
lou4gehrig
Registered User
 
lou4gehrig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Kovalev is better than Gionta, and Gomez is a slight improvement over Koivu. This is on an individual basis.
Are you talking about scoring and points only?

As far as well rounded play, defense, penalty killing, Gomez is much better than Koivu as this point and Gionta is much better than Kovalev.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
  #58
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Are you talking about scoring and points only?

As far as well rounded play, defense, penalty killing, Gomez is much better than Koivu as this point and Gionta is much better than Kovalev.
I wasn't talking scoring and points only, but I'll admit that was probably what I based most of my opinion on.
You may very well have a point there. I don't know much about Gomez's all around game.

Regardless, I would rather have GGC because I like how they seem to fit well together as a whole.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
  #59
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally
 
Galchenyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,226
vCash: 500
I absolutely love the new line. I'm not convinced that Kovy, Koivu and Tanguay would have continued on that blistering pace from the end of last season anyway. Can't wait to see these new guys in action!

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:58 PM
  #60
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
I'd take Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta over Kovy, Koivu and Tanguay. Why?

Because the new guys are all capable to put up good numbers under a defensive style. Kovalev under Martin wouldn't even get 60 points. Tanguay asked to leave Calgary because he didn't do well under Keenan's conservative style. The only thing Koivu has over Gomez is the price tag...

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:28 PM
  #61
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,094
vCash: 500
I surprised at how lopsided the poll is.

What kind of numbers do you think our 3 new forwards can put up next season?

Cammalleri - 80 points
Gomez - 75 points
Gionta - 70 points

Or is that wishful thinking?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:31 PM
  #62
Alex28*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
This will be a fun thread to revisit next year.

Habs just committed cap suicide and no one has a clue.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:34 PM
  #63
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
I'm on the fence so I didn't pick. The whole 3 assets vs 5 thing only irks me because we didn't replace Higgins. There are some good UFAs still out there. Seeing as how we went the UFA/roster turnover route anyways, might as well bring in something to make the team a little better. A second line winger would help solidify it. Pleks and Andrei are good, but it would be nice to have a young/old vet. Both these guys are coming off disappointing seasons, and all we can pair them with is Sergei (also bad season)/Pacioretty (sophomore)/D'Agostini (sophomore)/etc.

On the other hand, maybe it would just look a little better with a third line depth guy. I really want Larose...speedy PKer who would fit in with the new team.

Conversely, you can also a dman to help Gill out. Come on, Bob. You still got a little money...and you already dumped half the team.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:35 PM
  #64
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 500
The new line. Kovy/Koivu were starting to get old, how many more years can they give us anyways yet their salary wasn't going down. Its worth it to invest on new blood.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
  #65
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
IMO that poll is not a fair.

With the older guys you could have another roster player in Higgins (who WILL have better season next year) and got downgraded defence budget.

We moved to younger, smaller, slightly more talented but much more expensive top line (even if I dont expect them to play for same line).

I'd love to have my mind changed later, but right now it seems like a move sideways - just because we needed to change and could burn a lot of cash.
Higgins? I was a big fan of his but after last season I was sure he would go. He just did not have any finish. Chipchura can do everything Higgins can if Higgins is not scoring a bunch and he did not, again.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:39 PM
  #66
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
This will be a fun thread to revisit next year.

Habs just committed cap suicide and no one has a clue.
How do you figure? Every one of the guys we signed is trade able except Hal Gill.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:40 PM
  #67
Selanne08*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
are you taking into account salaries?

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:43 PM
  #68
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
I'd take Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta over Kovy, Koivu and Tanguay. Why?

Because the new guys are all capable to put up good numbers under a defensive style. Kovalev under Martin wouldn't even get 60 points. Tanguay asked to leave Calgary because he didn't do well under Keenan's conservative style. The only thing Koivu has over Gomez is the price tag...
Actually Keenan has more of an up tempo forechecking style. A lack of defensive structure was their problem and that is what Sutter will bring. But I get your point. I think Tangs' problem in Calgary was that he didn't fit with their team commitement and the physical aspect.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:53 PM
  #69
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
How do you figure? Every one of the guys we signed is trade able except Hal Gill.
We'll need to find a team as desperate to change the whole team as Gainey was to trade Gomez again. And this team would, of course, need to have trouble attracting players on its own.

Gionta...he's movable, but the contract is still somewhat large. A team would want him, but would they actually have the cap space?

Spacek and Cammalleri are very movable, though. A team would make space for Cammalleri.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
  #70
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
How do you figure? Every one of the guys we signed is trade able except Hal Gill.
We're screwed cap wise until Hammer's contract expires, and most of that money will go to Price. Gomez will be hard to trade, so will Gionta. Cam is the only one with a real solid value right now.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:47 PM
  #71
the
Registered User
 
the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
I always promised myself to revive this thread one day.Everyone wants uncle Bob's and Gauthier's head but almost everybody approved the changes that they made...bunch of hypocrites!

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:52 PM
  #72
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Edit:

meh old thread.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:30 PM
  #73
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 13,587
vCash: 500
The KKT line was playing great hockey during the last weeks of the 2009 regular season.

And then Carbo decided to put Laraque on that line vs the Bruins in the 1st round

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
  #74
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?
 
dynastyREredux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
The KKT line was playing great hockey during the last weeks of the 2009 regular season.

And then Carbo decided to put Laraque on that line vs the Bruins in the 1st round
Gainey?

dynastyREredux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:33 PM
  #75
hockeyman*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
This thread is more like:

Diaster vs Diaster

Which ****** team will win?

.... neither it's 2012 and we're looking for a new GM.


Last edited by hockeyman*: 04-17-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: S-H-I-T-T-Y
hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.