HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PLAYOFFS: 2012 NHL Playoffs Discussion **LA Kings Cup Winner!!**

Old
04-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Pnut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I don't agree with Milbury on much, but he's right here.
MM says in that video:
"I'm easily perplexed and confused, as you've recognized around here"

Um Mike M, around there is not only where you have been perlexed and confused, those 10 years on the Island east of Manhattan were not only perplexing for you but for all of the NY Islander fan base.

Although I do agree that this was thuggery by Carkner...but I would think that moststraight thinking human beings would think that, so its not like the great MM is the ONLY person who thinks that way.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:30 PM
stranger34

The Islanders could really use a player like Zenon Konopka on Ottawa. Seems like he inspires tough play and a sense of team unity... at the same time he is a useful hockey player in key situations late in the game.

stranger34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
The Islanders could really use a player like Zenon Konopka on Ottawa. Seems like he inspires tough play and a sense of team unity... at the same time he is a useful hockey player in key situations late in the game.
He had a great game and had a lot of minutes. Ottawa did everything right that game but win. The Queen is in their heads right now.

Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:41 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Torts puts him with Richards and Gaborik on top line.

Cappy plays Nino with Reasoner and Pandolfo on 4th line.

I hate us.
What's the problem? That's right where Wang told him to play him.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Do you really believe that?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:18 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Torts puts him with Richards and Gaborik on top line.

Cappy plays Nino with Reasoner and Pandolfo on 4th line.

I hate us.
I have NO issues with Cappy putting Nino on line 4.

He didn't earn an NHL spot, so why reward him?

Now Rolston......why was he on line 3 or 4?

Comparing Kreider on line 1 to Nino................think about this for a second.........now think back to Chris Dey, Garth Snow, Shawn Bates, Rick DiPietro, the list can go on forever. Nino in no way earned his shot in camp, only by his contract. LATE SEASON, he did earn third line minutes and some PP time, but not a lot and not consistently even in game.

This coming season hopefully he gets sent down and breaks out, develops his game and makes it back next season, but let's not think he deserved to take PAP's spot. Or Okposo's. Or Grabner's. Or Nielson's. Or Moulson's. Or Martin's. Or Bailey's (though some nights....?).

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:10 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Do you really believe that?
Absolutely.

Wang is a lunatic.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:16 AM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
i prefer to believe (i don't have sources) that Snow really felt that NN would benefit more from practising with the Isles, than playing in the WHL.

hoping that Snow believes that our young guys need to learn the defensive side of the game first. if so, i think it was the right move.

i don't think that developing prospects is black and white. the kids gotta learn to fly, and as long as they can handle the physicality and confidence issues, give them a shot. they mess up, sit them in the press box, and show them a different perspective. if he earns a spot on the big club, let him play. if he sucks, send him down... it will be nice to have BP as an option this year.

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Brunomics

I've been a hardcore hockey fan for as long as I can remember and I've been feeling the past couple years and especially this year that since the lockout while the game overall got much better the playoff quality has kind of decreased.

Pre lockout it was all about toughness and grit and earning every inch of the ice. It was literally like going to war. Now it just seems like there is cheap shot after cheap shot and the overall play(while faster) just is not up to the quality of before the lockout.

Also pre lockout it seemed like top seeded teams were legit top teams. Now we have teams like the Rags(no Isles bias but outside of the queen that team is very average) gaining the top seed and while the teams 1-8 are more evenly balanced it just seems like something is missing.

I know there will be people here who disagree(probably the younger posters) but as an older guy(31 now) it just seems like the playoff wars of yesteryear were head and shoulders better than what we have now.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Moosie

Maybe it seems softer because of guys like Sakic, Shanahan, Guerin, Francis, Recchi, Roberts, Pronger, etc., retiring. (I know, Pronger hasn't retired officially, but he will.) We also enforce rules now against checking from behind, roughing up a guy in the slot, and hitting above the shoulders. I haven't been watching much of the playoffs this year, as what is the point if the Isles can't play? Strange to see Pittsburgh and Vancouver on the brink.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
25yearfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Does it make anyone else mad to hear Milbury talk about Roberto Luongo?
Could have ended that sentence three words shorter and it'd still be a YES.

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Ziggy16

lol a DP sighting in NJ? Brodeur yanked after giving up a 3-0 lead and now fla is winning 4-3 hahahah

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:21 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
lol a DP sighting in NJ? Brodeur yanked after giving up a 3-0 lead and now fla is winning 4-3 hahahah
u serious? is he at the rock? if so, what a tool.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:25 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Rolston should be ashamed of the way he played here. It's clear as day that he simply wasn't trying. Screw him
Same little ***** that he was in NJ.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
Did he come up to you and say, "Yeah, the knee's fine."?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:35 PM
JKP

Torres launches himself at Hossa's head... Hossa carted off on a immobilization board with his helmet still on (that can't be a good sign).

Am I the only one getting really disgusted with the hits to heads and the guys dropping like flies in the first round?

JKP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Torres launches himself at Hossa's head... Hossa carted off on a immobilization board with his helmet still on (that can't be a good sign).

Am I the only one getting really disgusted with the hits to heads and the guys dropping like flies in the first round?
No! The lack of respect is scary. We have to get back to the purpose of hitting is to separate the man from the puck, not to destroy him.

Denis Potvin should be one of the models for hitting. He is the best I've ever seen. He may have hurt players, but he didn't F them up.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Disgraceful. Hope Hossa is okay.

04-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Asham 4 games suspension

Neal 1 game

Adams 1 game

All from Game 3 of that series.

Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...47920434450432

Backstrom gets 1 game.

Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Asham 4 games suspension

Neal 1 game

Adams 1 game

All from Game 3 of that series.
There wasn't this kind of disrespect in the pre-Bettman NHL. If you did any of this, man, you got your head handed to you. Now, fighting is almost impossible. yeah, it happens, but it's that garbage calculated fighting. The instigator is a bad rule that has to be removed. By trying to "clean up" the game, they're really only making it more dangerous. Players are taking disrespectful and unfathomable liberties on other players because they know they won't have to pay for it.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:38 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
There wasn't this kind of disrespect in the pre-Bettman NHL. If you did any of this, man, you got your head handed to you. Now, fighting is almost impossible. yeah, it happens, but it's that garbage calculated fighting. The instigator is a bad rule that has to be removed. By trying to "clean up" the game, they're really only making it more dangerous. Players are taking disrespectful and unfathomable liberties on other players because they know they won't have to pay for it.
I don't buy all that. Part of it is the speed. Part of it is the bullet-proof plastic elbow pads. But, yes, a lot of it is disrespect, but I'm not convinced fighting would help a whole lot.

You need to hit these guys where it hurt - the wallet.

Start kicking them out for longer so they lose more money. None of this 1 game 3 game crap. First offence is 5. Second is 20. Third is 40 (half your paycheque). Fourth, you don't play again in the NHL. And while you're at it, fine the coach 50k every time one of his players is suspended and the team 100k. That would put an end to it. Money. Nothing else will.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
I don't buy all that. Part of it is the speed. Part of it is the bullet-proof plastic elbow pads. But, yes, a lot of it is disrespect, but I'm not convinced fighting would help a whole lot.

You need to hit these guys where it hurt - the wallet.

Start kicking them out for longer so they lose more money. None of this 1 game 3 game crap. First offence is 5. Second is 20. Third is 40 (half your paycheque). Fourth, you don't play again in the NHL. And while you're at it, fine the coach 50k every time one of his players is suspended and the team 100k. That would put an end to it. Money. Nothing else will.
Fines are small potatoes. If they literally get their ***** kicked, they won't be pulling this crap.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Fines are small potatoes. If they literally get their ***** kicked, they won't be pulling this crap.
I don't think most of them care about having to fight. They would care more about losing 6%, then 25% and then 50% of their salary. You want their attention? Take a big chunk of their salary away.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
I don't think most of them care about having to fight. They would care more about losing 6%, then 25% and then 50% of their salary. You want their attention? Take a big chunk of their salary away.
I agree with you, but that will never happen because the NHLPA wouldn't let it get in a contract. The owners would also balk as in their mind they'd lose the blood lust fans as that excuse comes up each and every time.

This playoffs are really underlining head shots, more than I ever remember. I find it nauseating, and I am old school no less. All they have to do is outlaw head shots under any condition. The NFL did and they didn't turn into a "pansy league with no fans" like we keep hearing from select talking heads. I like the speed of the new game and do not want to lose that under any circumstances. I also enjoyed the protection of better equipment over time, so go ahead and body armor up. You can eliminate people without immediate head contact, and if an athlete is too stupid to learn how like MANY seem to try and state, then that guy probably isn't smart enough to become a pro anyway.

On Torres, I remember watching him in juniors and really liked the kid. His ability to finish someone off with a great open ice check, or rub them out along the boards was truly his calling. Not everyone has his natural abilty to pick a spot and rub a guy out from an unsuspecting angle, or his ability to come up hard on a player without drawing too much attention to leaving his feet, though this time on Hossa he clearly launches himself through the dude's head and well off the ice with both skates. Anyone familiar with his checking from his Brampton days aren't surprised by this situation at all. I was really unhappy when the Isles moved him years ago.

And someone needs to make The Wang watch this clip, and understand we need a few of Raffi's type sprinkled throughout the lineup. If you are handing out the pain, you keep the other team's weasels chasing your weasels, as opposed to chasing Tavares. I doubt Mary Poppins in the owner's booth will ever grasp that concept.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 04-17-2012 at 11:41 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote