HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part VII)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2012, 11:24 PM
  #101
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Not for Enstrom obviously, but I would love to get Vlasic on the Jets, he would be a great fit here excellent defensive D.

As for Niskanen he plays a excellent possession game has been above average for 4+ years now, can play 2nd PP as well. If you want more toughness on the bottom pair I get that personal choice I guess. I don't put a whole lot of value on it but if you value it in the defence then I get that.


With his skill set, I just don't see where he fits into our lineup.

Paradise is offline  
Old
04-17-2012, 11:36 PM
  #102
Wpgpage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 817
vCash: 500
Thats fair enough, I would also really like Jackman as far as UFA goes my wishlist is:
Garisson
Jackman
Zannon

In that order.

Toby-Bogo
Garisson/Jackman/Zanon-Buffy
Stuart-Postma/Hainsey/????

Wpgpage is offline  
Old
04-17-2012, 11:45 PM
  #103
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Thats fair enough, I would also really like Jackman as far as UFA goes my wishlist is:
Garisson
Jackman
Zannon

In that order.

Toby-Bogo
Garisson/Jackman/Zanon-Buffy
Stuart-Postma/Hainsey/????
I think Garrison will price himself out of the Jets range and have other bidders interested. I certainly would like him, but not at an unreasonable price/contract.

Paradise is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
  #104
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Basically, another Mark Stuart that can handle 20+ minutes a night. If Hainsey was our #5 defenseman, we'd be good.

Enstrom-Bogo
Buff-Sarich/Jackman/whoever
Stuart-Hainsey/or whoever replaces him in another year because I don't think he'll be here much longer.
Put me down for another Mark Stuart who can handle 20+ minutes a night.

A guy that hits, blocks shots, fights, AND is able to handle 2nd pair duty and 20+ minutes a night?

Scratch that, I would take an entire D corp of those guys.

Huffer is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
  #105
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 953
vCash: 367
but I'd bet the Jets draft a D-man (based on the number of d-men ranked to fall around the Jets' pick).

draft for D.
trade for or sign for a 2nd line forward

HannuJ is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
  #106
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,149
vCash: 50
We have lots of second line forwards. And they're all young. Ideally, drafting a center that can go straight to the NHL would be the way to go.

That's not going to happen.

Drafting D is prolly our best bet, as it gives us a bit of flexibility to use either Enstrom or Hainsey as a trade chip.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
  #107
trebendan
Registered User
 
trebendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Hopefully the Jets are able to re-sign Pavelec and Mason without a hitch. I'm wondering who the 3rd goalie will be. I'm assuming they won't re-sign Mannino and I hope they don't sign Aebischer to an NHL contract. Will they go with Pasquale in that role? I also wouldn't mind seeing the Jets sign someone like Barry Brust as their 3rd goalie.

trebendan is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 01:12 PM
  #108
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Hopefully the Jets are able to re-sign Pavelec and Mason without a hitch. I'm wondering who the 3rd goalie will be. I'm assuming they won't re-sign Mannino and I hope they don't sign Aebischer to an NHL contract. Will they go with Pasquale in that role? I also wouldn't mind seeing the Jets sign someone like Barry Brust as their 3rd goalie.
Pasquale stole the starting job from experienced NHL vet Aebischer and AHL vet Mannino this year. He deserves the opportunity to be the goto man in St. John's next year, and Chris Carrozzi had a great season with the Ontario Reign in the ECHL, he should be the backup. It's very easy to go get a goalie if Pavs/Mason go down for any length of time next year, no need for a AHL veteran to steal icetime from what is looking like two pretty solid goalie prospects in Pasquale/Carrozzi. Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel also needs a contract this off-season and he was very good in the SEL this year as a backup, I would think the Jets bring him in to be the ECHL starter/AHL backup (competing for spot with Carrozzi).

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
04-18-2012, 01:17 PM
  #109
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,481
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
So we make our defense worse and hope to bring in someone through FA? We need more help on D.



What?



Not a good fit really.
You know, Duke, I fully support your right to LOVE Enstrom. I appreciate it, there are players we all love, but you can't seriously say that getting NAIL YAKUPOV isn't worth Toby Enstrom and our first? This guy is most likely going to be close to generational talent. He is probably going to win Hart trophies. Those guys don't come by every day.

It doesn't matter at any rate, I don't think the Oilers touch this with a ten foot pole. They can get a legitimate top 10 defenceman for that pick. A young guy who's rights will be owned by them for years instead of a struggling vet who is a UFA next year.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 01:23 PM
  #110
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Pasquale stole the starting job from experienced NHL vet Aebischer and AHL vet Mannino this year. He deserves the opportunity to be the goto man in St. John's next year, and Chris Carrozzi had a great season with the Ontario Reign in the ECHL, he should be the backup. It's very easy to go get a goalie if Pavs/Mason go down for any length of time next year, no need for a AHL veteran to steal icetime from what is looking like two pretty solid goalie prospects in Pasquale/Carrozzi. Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel also needs a contract this off-season and he was very good in the SEL this year as a backup, I would think the Jets bring him in to be the ECHL starter/AHL backup (competing for spot with Carrozzi).
From what i've read this sounds like the hopeful outcome, their seems to be some concern that he'll lock himself into the SEL and not want to come over. But by all accounts he's shaping up to be a pretty decent goalie prospect as well.

Grind is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 03:02 PM
  #111
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
One player that is an RFA this summer that I would be interested in is Keith Aulie.

He lost his spot on the Leafs to Gardiner at the beginning of the year and was then dealt to TB at the deadline, after which Lightning fans didn't seem very impressed with him. However, I think he's still a good prospect with insane size and I'd love to see if Huddy can rebuild his confidence the way he did for Bogosian.

WJG is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
  #112
mondo3
Registered User
 
mondo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 865
vCash: 571
I mentioned the Sharks, because If they get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round, I wouldnt be shocked if they trade Marleau or Thornton. However, I'm not sure if we're looking for a veteran presence for our team.
On another note, reading between the lines from what Chevy said on the radio, I don't think any of our icecap goalies are ready to take the job from Mason.

mondo3 is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
  #113
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,864
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
I mentioned the Sharks, because If they get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round, I wouldnt be shocked if they trade Marleau or Thornton. However, I'm not sure if we're looking for a veteran presence for our team.
On another note, reading between the lines from what Chevy said on the radio, I don't think any of our icecap goalies are ready to take the job from Mason.
Chevy has actually stated that amongst size he wouldn't mind adding some more Vet presence. I have to agree. If you want to continue building the "winning atmosphere" you need to add some guys who have been around the block and won.

I don't think the guys we would add would be Thornton or Marleau (who while good haven't won a cup) as they would be the pricier of the veterans. I could see Chevy making some kind of FA or minor trade to address that need however.

Sweech is online now  
Old
04-18-2012, 06:34 PM
  #114
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,750
vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
You know, Duke, I fully support your right to LOVE Enstrom. I appreciate it, there are players we all love, but you can't seriously say that getting NAIL YAKUPOV isn't worth Toby Enstrom and our first? This guy is most likely going to be close to generational talent. He is probably going to win Hart trophies. Those guys don't come by every day.

It doesn't matter at any rate, I don't think the Oilers touch this with a ten foot pole. They can get a legitimate top 10 defenceman for that pick. A young guy who's rights will be owned by them for years instead of a struggling vet who is a UFA next year.
IMO there is no doubt in the world that Chevy would trade our 1st and Enstrom for the first overall pick. If you want to see some real flaming try starting this threat on the main board.

KingBogo is online now  
Old
04-18-2012, 06:37 PM
  #115
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
IMO there is no doubt in the world that Chevy would trade our 1st and Enstrom for the first overall pick. If you want to see some real flaming try starting this threat on the main board.


Let's just keep that idea on these boards.

Paradise is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 06:42 PM
  #116
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,750
vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
[/B]

Let's just keep that idea on these boards.
I agree with that one.

KingBogo is online now  
Old
04-19-2012, 12:08 AM
  #117
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
You know, Duke, I fully support your right to LOVE Enstrom. I appreciate it, there are players we all love, but you can't seriously say that getting NAIL YAKUPOV isn't worth Toby Enstrom and our first? This guy is most likely going to be close to generational talent. He is probably going to win Hart trophies. Those guys don't come by every day.

It doesn't matter at any rate, I don't think the Oilers touch this with a ten foot pole. They can get a legitimate top 10 defenceman for that pick. A young guy who's rights will be owned by them for years instead of a struggling vet who is a UFA next year.
The word generation talent gets thrown around to loosely, Imo there is only one currently in the game in Crosby. I don't believe Nail has close to that potential, his numbers in junior are comparable to Hall's and lower than Tavaras. He most likely projects similarly to those two. As for the trade I'd consider it if Enstrom wasn't open to resigning, but I really don't believe we should sacrifice defense to build down the wing, if a quality center becomes available I'd be more willing.

surixon is online now  
Old
04-19-2012, 06:36 AM
  #118
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,750
vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
The word generation talent gets thrown around to loosely, Imo there is only one currently in the game in Crosby. I don't believe Nail has close to that potential, his numbers in junior are comparable to Hall's and lower than Tavaras. He most likely projects similarly to those two. As for the trade I'd consider it if Enstrom wasn't open to resigning, but I really don't believe we should sacrifice defense to build down the wing, if a quality center becomes available I'd be more willing.
I agree generational talent gets thrown out a lot, and you need to demonstrate a lot more than good junior #'s to deserve that lable. But I think Yakapov will at the minimum be a ppg clear first line player. This definately is something the Jets need desperately. IMO trading Enstrom wouldn't necesarily weaken the Jets defensively. As we are right now our first pairing of Buff and Enstrom our extremely offensive minded and are often a liability defensively. If we started filling out our top lines, we could at the same time move to a more conventional defensively minded back end and hopefully be bigger and tougher to play against. We would still have plenty of back end offense from Buff and Bogo.

This is all moot anyway as the Oilers would laugh at the proposal. If they traded the 1st overall they would want more comming back.

KingBogo is online now  
Old
04-19-2012, 07:02 AM
  #119
ps241
The Danish Dash!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,028
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
The word generation talent gets thrown around to loosely, Imo there is only one currently in the game in Crosby. I don't believe Nail has close to that potential, his numbers in junior are comparable to Hall's and lower than Tavaras. He most likely projects similarly to those two. As for the trade I'd consider it if Enstrom wasn't open to resigning, but I really don't believe we should sacrifice defense to build down the wing, if a quality center becomes available I'd be more willing.
If there is only one currently in the game it isn't Crosby because Nick Lidstrom is definatley a generational talent and arguably the 2nd greatest D man of all time which might put him at a level higher than a generational talent i suppose. I would put Crosby there on potential and talent as well so perhaps I am splitting hairs


Last edited by ps241: 04-19-2012 at 12:08 PM.
ps241 is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 07:33 AM
  #120
Wpgpage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 817
vCash: 500
If the Nucks get bounced an want to make major changes would people on this board be interested in Kesler? I know hes playing like a 12 year right now but he has shown in the past that he can be a gritty hard nosed C perhaps its the environment? Anyway based on the Carter and Richards deals the price would likely be something like our pick 9th plus a younger player Little, Wheeler, Ladd exct.. for that you get 4 years of team control at a 5M cap hit. I thought of this one at about 4 am while in the middle of studying magnetic fields so its a little strange, not even sure I would do it personally but it is an interesting one to think about given that Kesler may very well be a guy that is on the block come draft day.

Wpgpage is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 08:11 AM
  #121
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
If the Nucks get bounced an want to make major changes would people on this board be interested in Kesler? I know hes playing like a 12 year right now but he has shown in the past that he can be a gritty hard nosed C perhaps its the environment? Anyway based on the Carter and Richards deals the price would likely be something like our pick 9th plus a younger player Little, Wheeler, Ladd exct.. for that you get 4 years of team control at a 5M cap hit. I thought of this one at about 4 am while in the middle of studying magnetic fields so its a little strange, not even sure I would do it personally but it is an interesting one to think about given that Kesler may very well be a guy that is on the block come draft day.
I think a deal like that could make sense if the Jets were at a different stage. As it stands right now, I think it's better for the team to be adding more high quality assets, and not be dealing multiples for 1 asset.

As good as Kesler is, if we deal say Little AND the pick, I think it improves us in the short term as Kesler is an upgrade on Little, but I think if we are going to compete in the long term we need to add a high quality asset at 9 TO Little.

Short Term Kesler > Little, but long term I think Little + Reinhart (as an example) > Kesler.

Considering I don't think we are going to be competing for the cup in the short term, I would rather go with the long term approach.

Huffer is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 08:18 AM
  #122
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,746
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I think a deal like that could make sense if the Jets were at a different stage. As it stands right now, I think it's better for the team to be adding more high quality assets, and not be dealing multiples for 1 asset.

As good as Kesler is, if we deal say Little AND the pick, I think it improves us in the short term as Kesler is an upgrade on Little, but I think if we are going to compete in the long term we need to add a high quality asset at 9 TO Little.

Short Term Kesler > Little, but long term I think Little + Reinhart (as an example) > Kesler.

Considering I don't think we are going to be competing for the cup in the short term, I would rather go with the long term approach.
Similar to my thoughts... Right now I'd prefer the Jets work on the holes they have instead of mortgaging the future to improve a spot they have filled... Besides... Although Kessler > Little most often, I'd still rather them both second line C's

garret9 is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 11:33 AM
  #123
Wpgpage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I think a deal like that could make sense if the Jets were at a different stage. As it stands right now, I think it's better for the team to be adding more high quality assets, and not be dealing multiples for 1 asset.

As good as Kesler is, if we deal say Little AND the pick, I think it improves us in the short term as Kesler is an upgrade on Little, but I think if we are going to compete in the long term we need to add a high quality asset at 9 TO Little.

Short Term Kesler > Little, but long term I think Little + Reinhart (as an example) > Kesler.

Considering I don't think we are going to be competing for the cup in the short term, I would rather go with the long term approach.
I do agree with that, at the same time however draft picks are risks we don't know how they are going to turn out, the pick could be a total bust or he could go on to be a top player impossible to say. I'm not advocating trade all the picks, I don't even know if I really like this trade, but I do think that sometimes we do put to much emphasis on draft picks. As fans we see the scouting reports the comparisons and we rarely if ever ask the question what if this fails? What if you could have dealt that pick for a Carter or a Kesler, or whoever and you didn't do it. These guys all get drafted with lofty expectations and the fact is that a lot of them fail. I think I will agree that this year is not the year to move the top 10 pick, the system is weak and needs more top end talent but down the road I can see moving it working out ok for the Jets.

Wpgpage is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 11:45 AM
  #124
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
I do agree with that, at the same time however draft picks are risks we don't know how they are going to turn out, the pick could be a total bust or he could go on to be a top player impossible to say. I'm not advocating trade all the picks, I don't even know if I really like this trade, but I do think that sometimes we do put to much emphasis on draft picks. As fans we see the scouting reports the comparisons and we rarely if ever ask the question what if this fails? What if you could have dealt that pick for a Carter or a Kesler, or whoever and you didn't do it. These guys all get drafted with lofty expectations and the fact is that a lot of them fail. I think I will agree that this year is not the year to move the top 10 pick, the system is weak and needs more top end talent but down the road I can see moving it working out ok for the Jets.
Totally agree. the key is MOST first round picks don't meet the expectations placed on them. Top 10's generally turn out to good players, but I'd be doubtful if it was more then 50% hit their "projected ceiling".

The problem currently is we've got so few high end potential prospects that we really need to pad the system to start. Now, once you get a couple high picks (last year and this years), and a couple late round steals that start shaping up, those future first rounders become totally expendable. Once your at that state (ie nashville this year) you totally take advantage of the weight those first round picks carry and deal for some solid proven players.

The problem is, right now, we've got too few of those depth "steals" to make passing on a top 10 pick easy to swallow.

Grind is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
  #125
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,481
vCash: 50
You will notice I said close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
The word generation talent gets thrown around to loosely, Imo there is only one currently in the game in Crosby. I don't believe Nail has close to that potential, his numbers in junior are comparable to Hall's and lower than Tavaras. He most likely projects similarly to those two. As for the trade I'd consider it if Enstrom wasn't open to resigning, but I really don't believe we should sacrifice defense to build down the wing, if a quality center becomes available I'd be more willing.

Jet is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.