HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part VII)

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Not for Enstrom obviously, but I would love to get Vlasic on the Jets, he would be a great fit here excellent defensive D.

As for Niskanen he plays a excellent possession game has been above average for 4+ years now, can play 2nd PP as well. If you want more toughness on the bottom pair I get that personal choice I guess. I don't put a whole lot of value on it but if you value it in the defence then I get that.

With his skill set, I just don't see where he fits into our lineup.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Wpgpage

Thats fair enough, I would also really like Jackman as far as UFA goes my wishlist is:
Garisson
Jackman
Zannon

In that order.

Toby-Bogo
Garisson/Jackman/Zanon-Buffy
Stuart-Postma/Hainsey/????

Old
04-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Thats fair enough, I would also really like Jackman as far as UFA goes my wishlist is:
Garisson
Jackman
Zannon

In that order.

Toby-Bogo
Garisson/Jackman/Zanon-Buffy
Stuart-Postma/Hainsey/????
I think Garrison will price himself out of the Jets range and have other bidders interested. I certainly would like him, but not at an unreasonable price/contract.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Basically, another Mark Stuart that can handle 20+ minutes a night. If Hainsey was our #5 defenseman, we'd be good.

Enstrom-Bogo
Buff-Sarich/Jackman/whoever
Stuart-Hainsey/or whoever replaces him in another year because I don't think he'll be here much longer.
Put me down for another Mark Stuart who can handle 20+ minutes a night.

A guy that hits, blocks shots, fights, AND is able to handle 2nd pair duty and 20+ minutes a night?

Scratch that, I would take an entire D corp of those guys.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
but I'd bet the Jets draft a D-man (based on the number of d-men ranked to fall around the Jets' pick).

draft for D.
trade for or sign for a 2nd line forward

Old
04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
sully1410

We have lots of second line forwards. And they're all young. Ideally, drafting a center that can go straight to the NHL would be the way to go.

That's not going to happen.

Drafting D is prolly our best bet, as it gives us a bit of flexibility to use either Enstrom or Hainsey as a trade chip.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
trebendan

Hopefully the Jets are able to re-sign Pavelec and Mason without a hitch. I'm wondering who the 3rd goalie will be. I'm assuming they won't re-sign Mannino and I hope they don't sign Aebischer to an NHL contract. Will they go with Pasquale in that role? I also wouldn't mind seeing the Jets sign someone like Barry Brust as their 3rd goalie.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Hopefully the Jets are able to re-sign Pavelec and Mason without a hitch. I'm wondering who the 3rd goalie will be. I'm assuming they won't re-sign Mannino and I hope they don't sign Aebischer to an NHL contract. Will they go with Pasquale in that role? I also wouldn't mind seeing the Jets sign someone like Barry Brust as their 3rd goalie.
Pasquale stole the starting job from experienced NHL vet Aebischer and AHL vet Mannino this year. He deserves the opportunity to be the goto man in St. John's next year, and Chris Carrozzi had a great season with the Ontario Reign in the ECHL, he should be the backup. It's very easy to go get a goalie if Pavs/Mason go down for any length of time next year, no need for a AHL veteran to steal icetime from what is looking like two pretty solid goalie prospects in Pasquale/Carrozzi. Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel also needs a contract this off-season and he was very good in the SEL this year as a backup, I would think the Jets bring him in to be the ECHL starter/AHL backup (competing for spot with Carrozzi).

Old
04-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
So we make our defense worse and hope to bring in someone through FA? We need more help on D.

What?

Not a good fit really.
You know, Duke, I fully support your right to LOVE Enstrom. I appreciate it, there are players we all love, but you can't seriously say that getting NAIL YAKUPOV isn't worth Toby Enstrom and our first? This guy is most likely going to be close to generational talent. He is probably going to win Hart trophies. Those guys don't come by every day.

It doesn't matter at any rate, I don't think the Oilers touch this with a ten foot pole. They can get a legitimate top 10 defenceman for that pick. A young guy who's rights will be owned by them for years instead of a struggling vet who is a UFA next year.

04-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Pasquale stole the starting job from experienced NHL vet Aebischer and AHL vet Mannino this year. He deserves the opportunity to be the goto man in St. John's next year, and Chris Carrozzi had a great season with the Ontario Reign in the ECHL, he should be the backup. It's very easy to go get a goalie if Pavs/Mason go down for any length of time next year, no need for a AHL veteran to steal icetime from what is looking like two pretty solid goalie prospects in Pasquale/Carrozzi. Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel also needs a contract this off-season and he was very good in the SEL this year as a backup, I would think the Jets bring him in to be the ECHL starter/AHL backup (competing for spot with Carrozzi).
From what i've read this sounds like the hopeful outcome, their seems to be some concern that he'll lock himself into the SEL and not want to come over. But by all accounts he's shaping up to be a pretty decent goalie prospect as well.

Old
04-18-2012, 03:02 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

One player that is an RFA this summer that I would be interested in is Keith Aulie.

He lost his spot on the Leafs to Gardiner at the beginning of the year and was then dealt to TB at the deadline, after which Lightning fans didn't seem very impressed with him. However, I think he's still a good prospect with insane size and I'd love to see if Huddy can rebuild his confidence the way he did for Bogosian.

Old
04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
I mentioned the Sharks, because If they get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round, I wouldnt be shocked if they trade Marleau or Thornton. However, I'm not sure if we're looking for a veteran presence for our team.
On another note, reading between the lines from what Chevy said on the radio, I don't think any of our icecap goalies are ready to take the job from Mason.

Old
04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
I mentioned the Sharks, because If they get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round, I wouldnt be shocked if they trade Marleau or Thornton. However, I'm not sure if we're looking for a veteran presence for our team.
On another note, reading between the lines from what Chevy said on the radio, I don't think any of our icecap goalies are ready to take the job from Mason.
Chevy has actually stated that amongst size he wouldn't mind adding some more Vet presence. I have to agree. If you want to continue building the "winning atmosphere" you need to add some guys who have been around the block and won.

I don't think the guys we would add would be Thornton or Marleau (who while good haven't won a cup) as they would be the pricier of the veterans. I could see Chevy making some kind of FA or minor trade to address that need however.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:34 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
You know, Duke, I fully support your right to LOVE Enstrom. I appreciate it, there are players we all love, but you can't seriously say that getting NAIL YAKUPOV isn't worth Toby Enstrom and our first? This guy is most likely going to be close to generational talent. He is probably going to win Hart trophies. Those guys don't come by every day.

It doesn't matter at any rate, I don't think the Oilers touch this with a ten foot pole. They can get a legitimate top 10 defenceman for that pick. A young guy who's rights will be owned by them for years instead of a struggling vet who is a UFA next year.
IMO there is no doubt in the world that Chevy would trade our 1st and Enstrom for the first overall pick. If you want to see some real flaming try starting this threat on the main board.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
IMO there is no doubt in the world that Chevy would trade our 1st and Enstrom for the first overall pick. If you want to see some real flaming try starting this threat on the main board.

Let's just keep that idea on these boards.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:42 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
[/B]

Let's just keep that idea on these boards.
I agree with that one.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:08 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

The word generation talent gets thrown around to loosely, Imo there is only one currently in the game in Crosby. I don't believe Nail has close to that potential, his numbers in junior are comparable to Hall's and lower than Tavaras. He most likely projects similarly to those two. As for the trade I'd consider it if Enstrom wasn't open to resigning, but I really don't believe we should sacrifice defense to build down the wing, if a quality center becomes available I'd be more willing.

Old
04-19-2012, 06:36 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
The word generation talent gets thrown around to loosely, Imo there is only one currently in the game in Crosby. I don't believe Nail has close to that potential, his numbers in junior are comparable to Hall's and lower than Tavaras. He most likely projects similarly to those two. As for the trade I'd consider it if Enstrom wasn't open to resigning, but I really don't believe we should sacrifice defense to build down the wing, if a quality center becomes available I'd be more willing.
I agree generational talent gets thrown out a lot, and you need to demonstrate a lot more than good junior #'s to deserve that lable. But I think Yakapov will at the minimum be a ppg clear first line player. This definately is something the Jets need desperately. IMO trading Enstrom wouldn't necesarily weaken the Jets defensively. As we are right now our first pairing of Buff and Enstrom our extremely offensive minded and are often a liability defensively. If we started filling out our top lines, we could at the same time move to a more conventional defensively minded back end and hopefully be bigger and tougher to play against. We would still have plenty of back end offense from Buff and Bogo.

This is all moot anyway as the Oilers would laugh at the proposal. If they traded the 1st overall they would want more comming back.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:02 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
If there is only one currently in the game it isn't Crosby because Nick Lidstrom is definatley a generational talent and arguably the 2nd greatest D man of all time which might put him at a level higher than a generational talent i suppose. I would put Crosby there on potential and talent as well so perhaps I am splitting hairs

Last edited by ps241: 04-19-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old
04-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Wpgpage

If the Nucks get bounced an want to make major changes would people on this board be interested in Kesler? I know hes playing like a 12 year right now but he has shown in the past that he can be a gritty hard nosed C perhaps its the environment? Anyway based on the Carter and Richards deals the price would likely be something like our pick 9th plus a younger player Little, Wheeler, Ladd exct.. for that you get 4 years of team control at a 5M cap hit. I thought of this one at about 4 am while in the middle of studying magnetic fields so its a little strange, not even sure I would do it personally but it is an interesting one to think about given that Kesler may very well be a guy that is on the block come draft day.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Huffer

Quote:
If the Nucks get bounced an want to make major changes would people on this board be interested in Kesler? I know hes playing like a 12 year right now but he has shown in the past that he can be a gritty hard nosed C perhaps its the environment? Anyway based on the Carter and Richards deals the price would likely be something like our pick 9th plus a younger player Little, Wheeler, Ladd exct.. for that you get 4 years of team control at a 5M cap hit. I thought of this one at about 4 am while in the middle of studying magnetic fields so its a little strange, not even sure I would do it personally but it is an interesting one to think about given that Kesler may very well be a guy that is on the block come draft day.
I think a deal like that could make sense if the Jets were at a different stage. As it stands right now, I think it's better for the team to be adding more high quality assets, and not be dealing multiples for 1 asset.

As good as Kesler is, if we deal say Little AND the pick, I think it improves us in the short term as Kesler is an upgrade on Little, but I think if we are going to compete in the long term we need to add a high quality asset at 9 TO Little.

Short Term Kesler > Little, but long term I think Little + Reinhart (as an example) > Kesler.

Considering I don't think we are going to be competing for the cup in the short term, I would rather go with the long term approach.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:18 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I think a deal like that could make sense if the Jets were at a different stage. As it stands right now, I think it's better for the team to be adding more high quality assets, and not be dealing multiples for 1 asset.

As good as Kesler is, if we deal say Little AND the pick, I think it improves us in the short term as Kesler is an upgrade on Little, but I think if we are going to compete in the long term we need to add a high quality asset at 9 TO Little.

Short Term Kesler > Little, but long term I think Little + Reinhart (as an example) > Kesler.

Considering I don't think we are going to be competing for the cup in the short term, I would rather go with the long term approach.
Similar to my thoughts... Right now I'd prefer the Jets work on the holes they have instead of mortgaging the future to improve a spot they have filled... Besides... Although Kessler > Little most often, I'd still rather them both second line C's

Old
04-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

I do agree with that, at the same time however draft picks are risks we don't know how they are going to turn out, the pick could be a total bust or he could go on to be a top player impossible to say. I'm not advocating trade all the picks, I don't even know if I really like this trade, but I do think that sometimes we do put to much emphasis on draft picks. As fans we see the scouting reports the comparisons and we rarely if ever ask the question what if this fails? What if you could have dealt that pick for a Carter or a Kesler, or whoever and you didn't do it. These guys all get drafted with lofty expectations and the fact is that a lot of them fail. I think I will agree that this year is not the year to move the top 10 pick, the system is weak and needs more top end talent but down the road I can see moving it working out ok for the Jets.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I do agree with that, at the same time however draft picks are risks we don't know how they are going to turn out, the pick could be a total bust or he could go on to be a top player impossible to say. I'm not advocating trade all the picks, I don't even know if I really like this trade, but I do think that sometimes we do put to much emphasis on draft picks. As fans we see the scouting reports the comparisons and we rarely if ever ask the question what if this fails? What if you could have dealt that pick for a Carter or a Kesler, or whoever and you didn't do it. These guys all get drafted with lofty expectations and the fact is that a lot of them fail. I think I will agree that this year is not the year to move the top 10 pick, the system is weak and needs more top end talent but down the road I can see moving it working out ok for the Jets.
Totally agree. the key is MOST first round picks don't meet the expectations placed on them. Top 10's generally turn out to good players, but I'd be doubtful if it was more then 50% hit their "projected ceiling".

The problem currently is we've got so few high end potential prospects that we really need to pad the system to start. Now, once you get a couple high picks (last year and this years), and a couple late round steals that start shaping up, those future first rounders become totally expendable. Once your at that state (ie nashville this year) you totally take advantage of the weight those first round picks carry and deal for some solid proven players.

The problem is, right now, we've got too few of those depth "steals" to make passing on a top 10 pick easy to swallow.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

You will notice I said close.

Quote:

Closed Thread