HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Ryan Pulock - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2013, 15th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
sbtatter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Pulock is more polished the Roy. Roy was not playing organized hockey till he was 14.

Both are top notch passers. Pulock has a much better slapshot. NHL caliber shot.

Roy needs to work on his skating and strength. Guy is just a string bean right now.

Roy is much more a riverboat gambler then Pulock although he has toned that down somewhat this year.

Pulock is 6'1 and a solid 200 pounds. Roy is 6'3 170. Roy has the Frame to really bulk up. Big wide shoulders. I hope they have him do some power skating this summer to work on his first step speed.

I have no doubt Pulock will be a top 10 pick next year. Too poised not to be. Roy will more that likely go in the 15 to 25 range. He is more of a project pick then Pulock so some team that can afford to wait on him will select him around them.
Where do you think Nikkel will go? The improvement in his game from Jan when he was allowed to play defence (thanks to Fransoo being traded) was insane.

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Where do you think Nikkel will go? The improvement in his game from Jan when he was allowed to play defence (thanks to Fransoo being traded) was insane.
I think he will go top 30. His ice time will increase as well as his PP time.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
puckfan13

He will be because he is a late birthday. Guys like Ebert and Musil were rated high mostly on premise of potential they showed in their rookie seasons, Pulock is established as an upper-eschleon defenseman in the WHL as a 17-year-old, next year will just build on that and I fully expect him to hold up as a top 10 pick.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:58 PM
PumpkinBomb

Take it for what it's worth as I've only seen either player against the Oil Kings, but in the outings I saw Pulock looked better than Dumba. (And not in that he will be better someday, but actually better, already.)

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Of course he will be.
I agree with you that he will be a top 10, possibly top 5 but I'm surprised I havent seen him on any lists yet. Was really surprised to not see him on THN top 10 for 2013.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
hfboardsuser

Pulock will be a 3-4 pick by the time it's all said and done. He's just too mature a player not to maintain (and perhaps even widen) the separation between he and his peers. He's the closet thing I've ever seen to Lidstrom in a prospect.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Take it for what it's worth as I've only seen either player against the Oil Kings, but in the outings I saw Pulock looked better than Dumba. (And not in that he will be better someday, but actually better, already.)
Well you aren't alone in thinking Pulock was better than Dumba already because Pulock was named a first team allstar this season over Dumba. Quite a feat for someone who isnt draft elligible this year.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
jetsfan89

I missed the u18 game today and was hoping to see some highlights on his goal seems like he is kind of out of the radar!

jetsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Yeah, I think Pulock will be in the top 10 pretty comfortably. I would say, 2nd in terms of Dmen taken behind Seth Jones. Might even crack the top 5 depending on teams' desires.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
I missed the u18 game today and was hoping to see some highlights on his goal seems like he is kind of out of the radar!
His goal showed off his best talent, which is his shot. Was unguarded in the slot and had the time to just stand there, tee it up and blow it by Olson.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

This is kind of OT, but where would I find a good list of the top 10/30 2013 draft eligible players?

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
This is kind of OT, but where would I find a good list of the top 10/30 2013 draft eligible players?
There really isn't any official lists out there from ISS or CS... but here's my top 30 I put together

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
There really isn't any official lists out there from ISS or CS... but here's my top 30 I put together

Thank you!

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:16 PM
malkin16

played midget aaa with ryan and the crazy thing about him is he was drafted to the wheat kings in the 7th round as a forward... a injury in his first camp opened up a spot for him to show his skills on the point! he played forward 1 game that year i was on the left wing! hilight of my career haha, ooozes hockey smarts, he should be top 5 i think

malkin16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:40 AM
thefeebster

Finished a highlight video for Pulock. So for those interested, enjoy. [looks better on youtube than embedded]

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Question on Pulock: I understand he is a very good all-round player, very smart and well built. But does he have that "it" factor, the ability to take charge and control the pace of the game?

I ask because I watched a few games of his during the U-18 and he looked like a very good player, but I felt a guy like Morrissey had more potential to really control the game. Really agile, very slick, moves the puck very well but also engages in physical battles (although could add a few pounds).

Also, Pulock seems to be already developed already and I truly believe prospects are better when they have big talent and big frames, but have room to fill out, suggesting there is more to come once the player puts on some muscle. Pulock seems to be already filled out.

Reason why I am asking is because I'm trying to make rankings, and as I am going through name by name, Pulock is slowly falling. I am even contemplating putting Shea Theodore above him because of his lanky frame and offensive upside.

P.S The only viewings I have had is the U-18 so any comments is appreciated...

Last edited by Circulartheory: 09-03-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 06:20 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Question on Pulock: I understand he is a very good all-round player, very smart and well built. But does he have that "it" factor, the ability to take charge and control the pace of the game?

I ask because I watched a few games of his during the U-18 and he looked like a very good player, but I felt a guy like Morrissey had more potential to really control the game. Really agile, very slick, moves the puck very well but also engages in physical battles (although could add a few pounds).

Also, Pulock seems to be already developed already and I truly believe prospects are better when they have big talent and big frames, but have room to fill out, suggesting there is more to come once the player puts on some muscle. Pulock seems to be already filled out.

Reason why I am asking is because I'm trying to make rankings, and as I am going through name by name, Pulock is slowly falling. I am even contemplating putting Shea Theodore above him because of his lanky frame and offensive upside.

P.S The only viewings I have had is the U-18 so any comments is appreciated...
How Pulock and Morrissey will control a game are totally different. Morrissey will control a game through puck movement and skating while Pulock will control it by positional play and reads. I guess it depends on what you deem more important.

I will say this, Pulock has the game to become a (+/-) fiend. He was +33 last season and I think he will be a plus player throughout his career. His ability to shutdown at one end and create at the other is only 2nd to Seth Jones, in my mind.

Morrissey has his struggles defensively, but I think he is on the same curve Morgan Rielly was on. He's prime to take on a big role with the Raiders this upcoming season. He's a bit stockier than Rielly, but doesn't have that elite vision that Rielly has, but that may come in time. I think the Raiders will be better this season and Morrissey will be a big reason why.

Theodore has to show me a lot more, like playing some better defense, before I would rank him ahead of Pulock or Morrissey. Theodore has solid offensive instincts but his play away from the puck needs to improve.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
How Pulock and Morrissey will control a game are totally different. Morrissey will control a game through puck movement and skating while Pulock will control it by positional play and reads. I guess it depends on what you deem more important.

I will say this, Pulock has the game to become a (+/-) fiend. He was +33 last season and I think he will be a plus player throughout his career. His ability to shutdown at one end and create at the other is only 2nd to Seth Jones, in my mind.

Morrissey has his struggles defensively, but I think he is on the same curve Morgan Rielly was on. He's prime to take on a big role with the Raiders this upcoming season. He's a bit stockier than Rielly, but doesn't have that elite vision that Rielly has, but that may come in time. I think the Raiders will be better this season and Morrissey will be a big reason why.

Theodore has to show me a lot more, like playing some better defense, before I would rank him ahead of Pulock or Morrissey. Theodore has solid offensive instincts but his play away from the puck needs to improve.
Well, reason that I ask is because there are two things that have me thinking he may drop on draft day (although he could turn out better than most). Its really just the way I think NHL teams think on the day.

#1: Every year, there are guys that go much higher and sooner than others, even if they do have more question marks than others. In 2012, Hampus Lindholm and Derrick Pouliot have things to work on defensively, but have huge upside when it comes to controlling the pace of the game through mobility, speed, and puck movement. This forces other guys to be picked later.

#2: Teams tend to like players with large frames but alot of room to fill. Another reason why Lindholm was selected quite soon and why Ceci was picked later. People questioned whehter Ceci could develop much more than he is now. In 2011, IMO this is why teams loved Huberdeau and Scheifele.

However, with that said, teams love dominance (whether that be offensive, physicality, or smartness), and one thing Pulock has going for him is his wicked slapshot.

So my question, like regarding Ceci, is there much more we haven't seen quite yet with Pulock, and can he really take control as a #1 NHL defenseman, or do you think he'll round off as a #2 minute muching d-man with a wicked slapper? Obviously a premature suggestion, but I'm too anxious to actually wait to see him play during regular season to make my rankings lol

Old
09-03-2012, 06:58 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:

So my question, like regarding Ceci, is there much more we haven't seen quite yet with Pulock, and can he really take control as a #1 NHL defenseman, or do you think he'll round off as a #2 minute muching d-man with a wicked slapper? Obviously a premature suggestion, but I'm too anxious to actually wait to see him play during regular season to make my rankings lol
I thought Ceci should have been picked ahead of players like Rielly, Dumba, Pouliot and some of the other scatbacks, but it all comes back to philosophy and preference once again. The thing that separates Pulock from Ceci is Pulock is looking have a 2nd solid offensive year while Ceci only had one. Ceci was a bit of a late bloomer but a solid pick nonetheless.

As for your question, I think Pulock will be at worst a #2 Dman. The question of him being a #1 Dman still needs to be answered somewhat, as we will need to see if he can continue to do what he has been doing. But if you were asking me now, I would draft him to become the #1 Dman of my team.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:31 PM
oldunclehue

I am one that is hoping for Pulock to go high in the draft, and I think he will go first round as he is a great player. But he is in tough this year in Brandon, without the big three from last year (Stone, Ferland, Dziurynski(sp) on the roster, a younger team and likely a less successful PP, his numbers will likely go down.

He is a very smart player, sees the ice great, amazing first pass and canon of a shot. He is one of the bigger wheaties and may be asked to step it up physically due to that.

I say he will go first round, where depends on what a team needs and how he deals with a less offensive season all round for the Wheat Kings.

What I do know from around Brandon, he is a low maintenance player, easy going, great attitude, works hard year round, comes from a good family and isn't a partier....so we all know NHL teams love the guys that won't bring drama to their team as well.

oldunclehue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:40 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

i think he'll go top 9 easy...to the Edmonton Oilers hopefully

i think there will be another big run on d-men this coming draft like this past draft and d-men ranked a little lower right now like Josh Morrissy, Darnell Nurse, Madison Bowey, Steve Santini and Ian McCoshen will go in the top 15?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
I thought Ceci should have been picked ahead of players like Rielly, Dumba, Pouliot and some of the other scatbacks, but it all comes back to philosophy and preference once again. The thing that separates Pulock from Ceci is Pulock is looking have a 2nd solid offensive year while Ceci only had one. Ceci was a bit of a late bloomer but a solid pick nonetheless.

As for your question, I think Pulock will be at worst a #2 Dman. The question of him being a #1 Dman still needs to be answered somewhat, as we will need to see if he can continue to do what he has been doing. But if you were asking me now, I would draft him to become the #1 Dman of my team.
Well, I can imagine Pulock going a bit lower like Ceci did because of him already having a filled out frame as well as not possessing a "dominate" game in the sense of mobility and puck possession. However, your note of Pulock having two seasons worth of good play does make me wonder...plus, he has a dominate slapshot.

Old
09-04-2012, 11:10 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
Well, I can imagine Pulock going a bit lower like Ceci did because of him already having a filled out frame as well as not possessing a "dominate" game in the sense of mobility and puck possession. However, your note of Pulock having two seasons worth of good play does make me wonder...plus, he has a dominate slapshot.
He filled out a lot this summer, looks to be 200lbs plus and at least 6'2".
I would say he is dominate in terms of puck possession and passing ability, he is excellent at turning defence into attack, his passing ability and vision is only 2nd to Eric Roy, but he's more disciplined defensively. He's way ahead of Morrisey and Theadore.

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Finished a highlight video for Pulock. So for those interested, enjoy. [looks better on youtube than embedded]

Thanks for the highlight video. Being like others here, I've only seen him in a couple of tournaments and I didn't see why he would be that highly touted. I liked him but not not that much.

Montreal could use a player with a shot like that, after having MAB and Wiznewski and letting them go, you realize how much the ability to score from the point can add to the team.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Joe Hallenback

Pulock has a cannon. Best shot I have seen in a long time in the Dub. Going to really need him to step it up again this year. Brandon will have about 7 rookie forwards in the lineup this year

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote