HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part X

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2012, 02:31 PM
denkiteki

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Why not give Matson a deal and try to cut ties with a guy like Stefan Schneider? Matson seems to have some intangibles (captain of Gophers). I guess this try out contract or whatever it's called is a great opportunity to see what we've got.
'nucks are stuck with Stefan Schneider's contract for 1 more year... same with Rai/Archibald unless we decide to buyout a contract (very unlikely). Signing Matson would be another 2 year ELC... might be a better idea to get the Wolves to sign him to a deal for next season and then sign him if we plays well.

On the plus side, Oreskovich, Duco, Parent, Ebbet, Reinprecht, Bitz, Volpatti, Pinizzotto, Bai,gartmer and Weise all come off the books this year. Question is which of those we resign (Parent has virtually no chance at a contract).

Basically upto 10 contract slot free'd for next year (tho a couple might be resigned for depth purposes, i believe all of them will need to pass waivers next year and we would have 23 NHL contracts not counting these 10). One of which hopefully used to sign Friesen (Alex), who would be a UFA if we don't sign him this year.

Didn't list all contract coming off the books 'cause Climie's contract slot is likely washed with Cannata's contract and my guess is Salo gets resigned, MAG/Rome gets a NHL depth replacement or resigned (same with Pahlsson). No chance Lack doesn't get a contract (same with Cory if he's still around July 1st).

Old
04-13-2012, 03:07 PM
KenGuru

I dont know if you remember Canucks prospect (draftet 2008) Mats Frøshaug (23 year old). But he has really started to improve his game after long period of illness/injuries. He played for Lorenskog in the norwegian league this year.

43 GP 26+27 53 POINTS

The norwegian league has improved a little. But Frøshaug vil surely play for Norway in the world cup in may so you guys can follow him there. I have expectations for him.

I hope he comes over and try to play in AHL for a year at first. Making Canucks first year seem unlikely. Maybe play SEL 2012-2013

Old
04-13-2012, 03:27 PM
lindgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGuru View Post
I dont know if you remember Canucks prospect (draftet 2008) Mats Frøshaug (23 year old). But he has really started to improve his game after long period of illness/injuries. He played for Lorenskog in the norwegian league this year.

43 GP 26+27 53 POINTS

The norwegian league has improved a little. But Frøshaug vil surely play for Norway in the world cup in may so you guys can follow him there. I have expectations for him.

I hope he comes over and try to play in AHL for a year at first. Making Canucks first year seem unlikely. Maybe play SEL 2012-2013
Great update, KenGuru. Thanks!

Old
04-13-2012, 03:50 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
'nucks are stuck with Stefan Schneider's contract for 1 more year... same with Rai/Archibald unless we decide to buyout a contract (very unlikely). Signing Matson would be another 2 year ELC... might be a better idea to get the Wolves to sign him to a deal for next season and then sign him if we plays well.

On the plus side, Oreskovich, Duco, Parent, Ebbet, Reinprecht, Bitz, Volpatti, Pinizzotto, Bai,gartmer and Weise all come off the books this year. Question is which of those we resign (Parent has virtually no chance at a contract).

Basically upto 10 contract slot free'd for next year (tho a couple might be resigned for depth purposes, i believe all of them will need to pass waivers next year and we would have 23 NHL contracts not counting these 10). One of which hopefully used to sign Friesen (Alex), who would be a UFA if we don't sign him this year.

Didn't list all contract coming off the books 'cause Climie's contract slot is likely washed with Cannata's contract and my guess is Salo gets resigned, MAG/Rome gets a NHL depth replacement or resigned (same with Pahlsson). No chance Lack doesn't get a contract (same with Cory if he's still around July 1st).
I wish ESPN would do a 30 for 30 segment on Ryan Parent. "Ryan Parent: What Went Wrong" or possibly "Who Broke Ryan Parent?". "The Defensive Stalwart that Never Was"?

Old
04-13-2012, 05:19 PM
pitseleh

Parent is another guy whose junior stats should have set off red flags. A player that can't top 1/3 of a point per game is exceptionally unlikely to be anything more than a bottom pairing guy and is a pretty good risk to bust. If you aren't good enough offensively as a 19/20 year in junior to play on your team's PP, that usually says something about your skill level/ability to think the game.

Old
04-13-2012, 05:51 PM
canucks52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Parent is another guy whose junior stats should have set off red flags. A player that can't top 1/3 of a point per game is exceptionally unlikely to be anything more than a bottom pairing guy and is a pretty good risk to bust. If you aren't good enough offensively as a 19/20 year in junior to play on your team's PP, that usually says something about your skill level/ability to think the game.
He had the skill to play in the NHL as a shutdown d-man, he was pretty good for the flyers early on in his career, but I think injuries ruined his career plus the fact the flyers rushed him into the NHL to early, he should have spent more time in the AHL to develop

Old
04-13-2012, 07:56 PM
timw33

Quote:

43 GP 26+27 53 POINTS

Nice to hear he's still around!

Old
04-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu52 View Post
He had the skill to play in the NHL as a shutdown d-man, he was pretty good for the flyers early on in his career, but I think injuries ruined his career plus the fact the flyers rushed him into the NHL to early, he should have spent more time in the AHL to develop
Even most shutdown d-men produce >0.5 PPG in their final years of junior. Parent's production was terrible, especially for a first rounder. Heck, look at Aaron Rome's numbers from junior (and even the AHL).

This is also why I don't think Yann Sauve will amount to much more than a bottom-pairing defensive defenseman.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
thefeebster

Parent's back injuries really derailed his career. Yet, the biggest weakness you notice when you watch him is the lack of awareness and positioning. That has everything to do with what's between his ears. He looks confused or unfocused (one or the other) when he plays in his own zone. Can not read the play quick enough. Adding to that, when he gets hemmed into his own zone, his panic level raises dramatically, that gets him chasing the puck and even moreso out of position.

Questionable AHL level talent at this point.

-----

Although points everything in junior, I would tend to agree. Detested the Mcilrath pick by NYR that high in the 1st.

Sauve, i don't think anyone should have thought he'd become a top pairing D man in the last 2 years. I think he's cut down his errors this season and can play a bottom pairing game next season (at the very worst, he can fill in for Alberts for much cheaper). He is the next D that is most ready for the NHL (Shame Gragnani might hamper that next season). Long term, a very outside chance at a top 4 spot. Although Sauve does have some inconsistencies, he still has a lot of positives - he can play a physical game, has the size to clear the crease, and has a under-rated element which includes his skating and puck moving ability. His passing is hard and crisp, as well as his shot, its heavy.

He's been leaned on heavily throughout the year by MacT with the injuries they've had. He is a regular on the PK and does a good job there. I think he has the game to translate to the NHL if he plays that safe and reliable game he has for most of the year.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:00 PM
denkiteki

Quote:

43 GP 26+27 53 POINTS

He's also the shutdown center on his team so the offense is a bonus. That said, got to consider the league. Like you said, there's virtually no chance he makes the team 1st year (likely Rodin, Jensen, Sweatt, JS all above him on the depth chart). He would be direct competition with Matson for likely the 3rd line center spot with the Wolves.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
One of the few posts I agree with you.

Drafting a pure defensive dman in junior, is likely drafting a career ahler.

Look at the pure defensive dman in the nhl in willie mitchell and robyn regehr.

Willie almost put up a ppg in hist last year of college.

Regehr had 32 pts in 54 gms in the dub.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:39 PM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

Jensen with the Hat trick and Cannata only allows 2 with the win for the Wolves.
Corrado and Polasek had assists

Old
04-16-2012, 02:01 AM
jigsaw99

hatty for Jensen

maybe we should call this guy up to get some scoring >_<

Old
04-16-2012, 02:08 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

^ Might as well. Nothing to lose too. Desperate times...

Old
04-16-2012, 08:20 PM
metric

Looks like the Pathrik Westerholm (along with brother) has signed with Bofors according to Google translate.

Quote:
BIK Karlskoga has signed a one-year contract with the brothers Pathrik and Ponthus Vesterholm.

Brothers comes from Malmö and is a very interesting acquisition in line with the association's way of working.

Link to Pathrik and Ponthus the Eliteprospects.com

Welcome to the BIK Pathrik & Ponthus
Don't exactly have high hopes for him.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:26 PM
arsmaster

Just scanning the net and noticed Alex Grenier and the Halifax Mooseheads have comeback from a 3-0 series deficit to force a 7th game.

Had an assist and....wait for it...a fighting major. I'd be interested to see that scrap.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Just scanning the net and noticed Alex Grenier and the Halifax Mooseheads have comeback from a 3-0 series deficit to force a 7th game.

Had an assist and....wait for it...a fighting major. I'd be interested to see that scrap.
Being 6'5" 200lbs I'd hope he handled himself well

Old
04-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Laterade

skip to 1:51 to see the Grenier fight he handles himself pretty well in this tussel

Old
04-17-2012, 05:27 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterade View Post
skip to 1:51 to see the Grenier fight he handles himself pretty well in this tussel
Thanks for the YT.

Handles himself pretty good, but it looked like he may have been a foot taller than Tam.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Hielo Grande

What I really like is that Canuck hopeful Grenier's team was down 0-3 and are going into the 7th game. Do you believe in omens?

Old
04-17-2012, 05:43 PM
dingdong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielo Grande View Post
What I really like is that Canuck hopeful Grenier's team was down 0-3 and are going into the 7th game. Do you believe in omens?
Yeah, we should call him up right now...

Old
04-17-2012, 10:43 PM
PRNuck

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...ce-in-playoffs

Holy ****, Halifax pulled it off! Grenier had an assist in the win.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post

It's a sign. We got this.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:37 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post

If we somehow beat LA... i think we got a new fan favorite prospect (regardless of how he progresses).

Old
04-18-2012, 10:56 AM

Double post warning . . .

Is Jensen going to be able to play in the AHL next season?

I thought the age rules made him able only to play for the Canucks or back in junior next season. But in the Province this morning (Jensen article):

"NOTES – According to the Wolves, Jensen is eligible to play in the AHL next season. Juniors... "

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ni...#ixzz1sPK2bVgw

Right or wrong? If it's right, it's great news, as he could be ready for the AHL by the end of the "big summer" that's mentioned in the article.

I'm not sure whether to post this in the Wolves or Prospects thread . . .

Closed Thread