HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Mostafa Afr Sues Former GM Robbie Nichols, Assistant GM Don Lewis and Chemung County

Old
03-22-2012, 05:32 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Mostafa Afr Sues Former GM Robbie Nichols, Assistant GM Don Lewis and Chemung County

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/sto...jJX2MwZqQ.cspx

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:11 PM
jsh99j3
Rookie User

I was on Robbie's and Don's side at first but right now I don't know what to believe. But after talking to Robbie, and other people I'm siding with Afr for now.

jsh99j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh99j3 View Post
I was on Robbie's and Don's side at first but right now I don't know what to believe. But after talking to Robbie, and other people I'm siding with Afr for now.
Robbie slip up and admit something to you?

I know Afr has a track record but Robbie is no idiot. He was a long time personel figure in that crook of a league the UHL. I think he knows how to play "the game"

Afr may owe a lot of money to a lot people and places and the joint may be in poor shape. But he did pay the tax bill supposibly. Any smart businessman doesn't pay things until they have to. Robbie was there to oversee daily operations so thats on him. I sort of defend Tamer Afr when he said he thought things were okay over here. I have a hunch they weren't clued in on everything, like maybe the fire alarms. Can't fix whhat you don't know.

There were rumblings of a rat problem this past summer that Robbie ignored until the health inspectors came and forced him to deal with it. Also heard a couple people say who attend wine on ice that he may have printed his own tickets and sold them and kept the cash. Would make sense given the fact by then he was no longer recieving a paycheck.

I think this problem is different than Afr's past issues. Don't know why but it's a gut feeling. Do I want Doc to remain operator? I don't know, buit at the sametime i'm not sure he was the biggest problem...

Word is if this comes out true the county will be forced to give the Afr's back operations. Interesting, STED is in the lawsuit, I wonder if the Afr's win if STED will have to give up their name as "owners for assets"

Old
03-23-2012, 11:43 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I also wonder if Doc knows that Robbie's buddy Jimi Simmons(a former employee) has a Jr. A team in Philadelphia called the Jackals. They use our name, logo, colors and jersey scheme.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:08 PM
jsh99j3
Rookie User

It is still horrible about what is going on but it is the job of the GM to make sure the building is presentable/clean. There is obviously money he was allowed to spend to keep the building up. I have a feeling he pocketed the money and said it was for up grades. I mean Afr hasn't been here in awhile he trusted Robbie, Then he comes back with a empty bank account, A dirty building that needs to be painted horribly, a ice machine on its last leg, fire alarms that don't work and more. If you haven't noticed quite a few things have been fixed since Afr came back in town.

jsh99j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:06 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh99j3 View Post
It is still horrible about what is going on but it is the job of the GM to make sure the building is presentable/clean. There is obviously money he was allowed to spend to keep the building up. I have a feeling he pocketed the money and said it was for up grades. I mean Afr hasn't been here in awhile he trusted Robbie, Then he comes back with a empty bank account, A dirty building that needs to be painted horribly, a ice machine on its last leg, fire alarms that don't work and more. If you haven't noticed quite a few things have been fixed since Afr came back in town.
Yawn here it is:

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/sto...svf-pwbaw.cspx

Nichols isn't the first GM to crab about money being owed.

Anybody believing his wife has anything to actually do with the Pios is on some nice drugs.

I agree with you. Nichols is there everyday. Honestly in 6 years what did he do for this city to fall in love with him? I won't lie some good things have happened, but he's not as great as some spew.

Would have to find the article but when he first came to town I believe it was mentioned him and Doc were friends for like 20 years. Roberto was his right hand man.

Not only is the joint dirty but the bathrooms seem flooded, seats are breaking, etc.

Equipment is on its last legs over there, I wonder if Doc would pay for and buy new stuff?

The staff over there is shorthanded cause Nichols fired anybody over there who knew too much. I think hes a bigger issue than people believe.

I can tell you I have an old man in the bank industry and know quite a few others and what i've heard the last 2 days..."Bank Accounts DON'T lie" Especially in todays world you can trace it all back.

Not saying the Afr's are sweethearts by any stretch of the imagination. I do think Roberto is owed some money. However I don't think Doc knows as much as people want to claim he does. Nichols RAN that joint and had control of that checkbook for the last 2.5 years at least. Mostafa really isn't ionvolved much anymore given his age. Robbie and Tamer have never gotten along.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:13 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Forgot to ask in my last post...I haven't been to the arena this week....whats changed?

Old
03-24-2012, 02:23 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Was talking to somebody in town that knows an FHL Official or two. Robbie sent in the FHL application.

He told Stephen Heisler on his site that he was not going to apply, yet he did. I knows when WETM talked about the FHL visiting town Nichols talked about "exploring all options to possibly lower costs" Apparently he doeesn't know Afr too well, he wouldn't stoop down to bad Hockey. Yopu notice when his Colonial League/UHL started falling apart he bolted to the E?

Robbie ALSO told the FHL that the ECHL and Afr would not be back in Elmira next year because he was being thrown out for not paying his taxes.

The FHL knows of nothing going on here except for what Nichols told them, which was nothing more than his wants. They don't know about the investigation going on, lawsuits or the foreclosure deal. All they knew was that Robbie told them Afr was out long time before his deadline was up to pay.

Saw this on Monday though:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4369485

Quote:
Federal Hockey League: The FHL recently lost out on bids to place teams in Johnstown (PA) and Elmira (NY). The league was reportedly trying to develop an affiliated junior hockey league.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

The full details:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Quote:
The suit alleges that during their employment and beyond, Nichols and Lewis attempted to "sabotage" the arena operator, the Jackals and First Arena in hopes of closing the arena and moving its sponsors from the Jackals to the Elmira Pioneers minor league baseball team.
This is buyable because it's a COLLEGE SUMMER BALL team, they need all the sponsors they can get.

Quote:
Additionally, the suit charges that Robbie Nichols disregarded the instructions of the arena operator to pay the back taxes in time to avoid foreclosure proceedings, despite his promise that he would do so by the deadline.
Wonder if this was done by email? If it was....

Quote:
On the day Tamer Afr was informed that payment had not been made, he immediately got on a plane to Elmira to make the payment, but the county treasurer refused to accept it, Parks said.
Was it the day they were due?

Quote:
The lawsuit also alleges:

» Robbie Nichols failed to pay casualty insurance premiums on time, causing insurance on the arena to lapse, and he failed to pay utility bills.

» Nichols was fired and removed from the arena, but not before he removed cash, records and other documents not belonging to him.

» While still employed, Robbie Nichols used Elmira Downtown Arena funds to buy Apple iPhones and accessories for himself, his wife and Donald Lewis.

» Nichols used arena funds to buy four new tires for his personal automobile.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages and attorney fees at trial as well as the immediate return of any documents Nichols or Lewis took from the arena.

Nichols and Lewis denying it, Robbie crabbing money is owed. He's not the first GM and won't be the last to claim they are owed money by an owner.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:14 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

County fires back:

Quote:
According to the county's answer to the suit:

» Though the county has said publicly that the foreclosure followed no payments for three years, the document says the foreclosure proceeding was based on delinquent taxes from 2007 to 2012.

EDA in January 2011 tried to avoid foreclosure that year by agreeing to repay delinquent taxes for 2007 to 2010.

EDA defaulted on that repayment agreement in March 2011 after making only one of the 24 required payments, the document stated.

» EDA also defaulted on a back tax payment agreement with the county, that it made in 2007, for delinquent taxes from 2004 to 2006. EDA later paid the taxes in full in January 2009, avoiding foreclosure a few days before the redemption deadline.

» The county repeatedly told EDA it would seize the arena because of the tax foreclosure, which would legally end EDA's leaseholder rights in the arena.

» After the deadline passed for EDA to pay the taxes to redeem the property from foreclosure, the county began to work with EDA owner Mostafa Afr to make sure arena operations wouldn't be disrupted when the county became owner.
So this has really been an ongoing issue for years, this is just the farthest it's gotten.

Quote:
The county on Feb. 1 asked Afr to declare his intentions and provide assurances that he would pay all utility bills and provide proof of insurance for the arena, and proof of safety inspections, among other things, by Feb. 8.

Costa Papista, a consultant brought in by EDA, on Feb. 7 told Maggs, the county attorney, that EDA paid NYSEG more than $78,000 that was past due for gas and electric service.

Paul Hendrick, an attorney for the ECHL, the league in which the Elmira Jackals play, got involved by e-mail also on Feb. 7.

Papista e-mailed Maggs other documents Feb. 7 and 8.

Afr on Feb. 8 wrote to Maggs and said he wanted to comply with the county's requests and continue to operate the arena.

Maggs wrote back on Feb. 13, saying there were still unresolved issues.

Papista and Maggs continued to work on those issues by e-mail until Feb. 29, when Papista said he was no longer a consultant for EDA or First Arena.

"Routine personal threats from the arena manager, Robbie Nichols, and his blatant intent to withhold information and sabotage this entire business operation has made this project most unappealing," Papista wrote.
This is a little interesting because the next day when Nichols got canned he told the paper that the last time he spoke with Afr it was during that month and he was telling him how he wasn't happy with how he was treating the community and it was noted that Papista was in the room for said conversation.

Nichols however did make the mistake of saying on February 29th to the local news that it was tough coming to work everyday with the future in doubt and your job on the line.

Two things I know that are important that haven't been made public:

-Before the season Afr gave Nichols an ultimatum because the place wasn't making money.
-Nichols had control of the books for the last couple of years.

Old
04-12-2012, 10:41 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

More:

Quote:
First Arena is safe, the Elmira fire chief said Thursday, despite concerns Chemung County made in court documents about the fire alarm and sprinkler systems at the downtown arena.

"It does, in fact, have the certifications now that are needed," Chief Patrick Bermingham told this newspaper Thursday. He did not want to comment further.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:01 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

It's now up to a NY State Supreme Court Judge:

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/sto...UNW4moE2Q.cspx

Should be decided by the end of the week.

This is all so interesting because this county is known for accepting every repurchase offer. They said they didn't here because of al the tax dollars used to fund the place. It's a spat of whether the cash got in on time. afr said he sent it and Nichols did elsewhere with it. Nichols is denying he ever got the cash.

Don't know what to believe but regardless I think Nichols is a disgruntled former employee.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:34 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

More:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...eturn-facility

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...tole-documents

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...nce-challenged

Old
04-18-2012, 01:40 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

From another local paper:

http://www.the-leader.com/features/x...a-cases?zc_p=1

Quote:
Nichols said he was about to file a countersuit against the Afrs.

“The way I was treated on the way out wasn’t pleasant,” he said.
Sounds every bit like a disgruntled former employee.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:12 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Judge dismisses case on the county:

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/sto...UNW4moE2Q.cspx

I suspect though if the claims on Robbie Nichols are true it could be re-visited.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Update:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...ut-top-lawsuit

http://www.the-leader.com/topstories...-ruling?zc_p=1