HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Moves Part 2: The Speculation thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 12:11 AM
slip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
And do we really want a big money 8 year deal with a full nmc? I could see us really regretting that 5 years down the road
I don't know, how bad do you want Suter or Parise on the team?

Big, up front money is why Ehrhoff signed. These aren't uncharted waters.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
And do we really want a big money 8 year deal with a full nmc? I could see us really regretting that 5 years down the road
for Suter or Parise yes, yes

Old
04-18-2012, 02:37 AM
bobbyorrrrr

I'm confused by this talk about the new cba lowering the cap. Unless something bizaare happens how is the cap going to get lower? The revenues for the league are all going up across the board. Tickets sold, merchandise, etc., have all been represented by the league and teams as going up. Not to mention a major network actually paying the league to show its games for the first time since the lockout, in the US. So where is all this concern about the league coming from? I am not up to date on any new financial info so I am just confused about this issue.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:38 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Well maybe, but I don't think they'd move him before the draft. If they do move his rights, it will likely be similar to when Ehrhoff got moved--about 48 hours before July 1.
so we trade vabek for what is basically a vanek clone...no defense no hitting, questionable player who has a higher cap hit and we trade sekera our 1-2 best dman of last year all in one deal? WHY WHY WHY cant we let go of Nash dreams?

ps i appreciate the cap details i see what you're going for bro

Old
04-18-2012, 02:40 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
Since it's gonna be a LONG time before the NHL draft, thought it might be a neat idea to start talking about potential trade partners, one team at a time.

So, figured we'd start at the bottom of the league and work our way up:

Columbus Blue Jackets:

Signed Players:

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=13

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Cam Atkinson ($0.875m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Ryan Johansen ($1.945m) /
Vinny Prospal ($2.500m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m) /
Colton Gillies ($0.625m) /
DEFENSEMEN
James Wisniewski ($5.500m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Marc Methot ($3.000m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Dalton Prout ($0.667m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($2.900m)
Allen York ($0.950m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.542m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $46,550,476; BONUSES: $1,425,000
CAP SPACE (16-man roster): $17,749,524

HF's top prospects:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/c...s_blue_jackets

Ryan Johansen, C
David Savard, D
Cam Atkinson, RW
Boone Jenner, C
Matt Calvert, LW
Cody Goloubef, D
Tomas Kubalik, RW
T.J. Tynan, C
Will Weber, D
Michael Chaput, C
Jake Hansen, RW
Dalton Smith, LW
Austin Madaisky, D
Mike Reilly, D
Lukas Sedlak, C
Mathieu Corbeil, G
Thomas Larkin, D
Seth Ambroz, LW
Anton Forsberg, G

Needs:

Lot's. One of the worst defenses in the league, needs goaltending, needs centers, needs overall more talent. With the seeming pending trade of Rick Nash, it's going to be hard to make any judgements on what they want/cap space before that is taken care of.

Potential Targets:

Brassard: Showed some signs of life in the 2nd half of the season. Will the injury prone center have a breakout season next year? Time will tell.

Nash: Does't make a ton of sense, given Buffalo's LW Depth (Vanek, Leino, Foligno, Gerbe) and cap situation. If Columbus was willing to take on one of the big contracts (Vanek, Leino), but I don't see that happening.

Columbus is in a tough situation. The lack of talent on the roster really points to them committing to the rebuild, but the questions about Franchise viability are starting to crop up in the non traditional market, so there is a desire to win sooner rather than later.

Trade Idea: Vanek and Sekera for Nash

Columbus gets rid of a player who wants out and maintains keeping a veteran top line talent. They also add a mobile D-man who could help cover the jack johnson's lol defense. It's doubtful Nash would waive his NMC to come to Buffalo.

Unfortunately, Columbus and Buffalo don't make the best trading partners.
edittt

Old
04-18-2012, 02:43 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
For consistent and proven players. YES! For Leino type players (1 year wonders). NO!

Old
04-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
yeah I think Parise is a proven talent and gamer, but I'm not sold on Suter's talent. He's not going to be the next Wade Redden, but he's not going to be the next Lidstrom either. He's a solid top 4, but destined to be an over-paid one. But, if they can make him cap manageable like they did with Ehrhoff, I'd do it.

Old
04-18-2012, 05:43 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

All the talk of who to bring in, trade for this guy, etc. Still doesn't seem to answer the real question. Deep down, what does this team need? There is def top tier talent, so why is it a mediocre team? IMO, the real need, as it has been since Drury/Briere left, is a leader. Every forward (core) on the team was there back then, has had a chance (years) to take over the team and be that leader, none of them have. We've tried to bring one in, River but he was already old and broken. Pomms has had a nice season but reality is, he's not a guy you run through a brick wall for. These core guys are passengers, not the driver, and until we get that real driver, we'll suck.

We need to identify this weakness, target someone and bring him in. I think that means giving him a somewhat clean dressing room, ie out with at least one of the core. Id say try to get a guy who can be here at least 3-5 years and nit broken or soon to be (iginla & doan).

I'm sorry for beating a dead horse but for all you Pomms is a good captain, he failed when he had his moment, the Lucic incident. Go watch it again and watch him skate into the scrum, no intent, no fire, not frigging pissed off. He could've gotten his butt kicked but he would've won the respect, and real leadership of the team, and fanbase.

Go get a leader for this team

Old
04-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyorrrrr View Post
I'm confused by this talk about the new cba lowering the cap. Unless something bizaare happens how is the cap going to get lower? The revenues for the league are all going up across the board. Tickets sold, merchandise, etc., have all been represented by the league and teams as going up. Not to mention a major network actually paying the league to show its games for the first time since the lockout, in the US. So where is all this concern about the league coming from? I am not up to date on any new financial info so I am just confused about this issue.
There's going to be a fight over the players' cut of hockey-related revenues. The percentage of revenues going to players is where the big fights in the NFL and NBA labor battles took place. Given that NHL players earn a higher percentage of sport-related revenue than do their football and basketball counterparts, the owners are likely going to negotiate a decrease in the players' cut. Since the cap is tied to that number, if the players' percentage is significantly decreased, the cap could stagnate or decrease slightly.

That's at least how I understood things from my limited reading about the issue.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:03 AM
heartsabres*

I think we will see Roy + Draft picks(12th) for a center or a top 5 pick.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
I think we will see Roy + Draft picks(12th) for a Top line center or a top 5 pick.

fixed this.

My dream offseason:

Fire Ruff
Trade up for a top 5 pick or trade for a center a'la Getzlaf
Get Suter or Brown

and we're going to be a contender.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Tyler2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
I think we will see Roy + Draft picks(12th) for a center or a top 5 pick.
Why would a bottom feeder team want Roy who only has one yr left on deal when they could draft a stud guy and have him for a long time?

Old
04-18-2012, 10:11 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
fixed this.

My dream offseason:

Fire Ruff
Trade up for a top 5 pick or trade for a center a'la Getzlaf
Get Suter or Brown

and we're going to be a contender.
Roy + the 12th pick is unlikely to land the Sabres a top line center. Even Getzlaf who is a year away from UFA and coming off a bad season.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:36 AM
dkollidas

I think the Sabres will look into moving up for Yakupov, allowing them to move Vanek. Something around our 2 1st's, the 2 2nd's and a prospect (Pysyk/Adam) might be enough to get us up there, which would allow us to move Vanek, which would save cap space, possibly enough to take a real run at Parise/Suter. I believe one thing we need is a creative/superstar forward, and if we could move some of our picks/prospects in order to move up for Yakupov would do that. Yes, he's a winger, not a center, but he still has elite skills that we need offensively.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:47 AM
static80

what are the odds Arminia sees NHL action this season?

Old
04-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
slim to none

Old
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
yeah I think Parise is a proven talent and gamer, but I'm not sold on Suter's talent. He's not going to be the next Wade Redden, but he's not going to be the next Lidstrom either. He's a solid top 4, but destined to be an over-paid one. But, if they can make him cap manageable like they did with Ehrhoff, I'd do it.
I'd argue that Suter is better than Shea Weber. I'm not the only person league-wide that shares that opinion.

Weber trumps Suter in offensive skill and marketability.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I'd argue that Suter is better than Shea Weber. I'm not the only person league-wide that shares that opinion.

Weber trumps Suter in offensive skill and marketability.
I think so as well and thats no slight to Weber either.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think so as well and thats no slight to Weber either.
Absolutely. Both are phenomenal players. I just think Suter is a more reliable defender. He's a rock in the defensive zone.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
slim to none
Pretty Sure Armia is under contract in Europe for another year - so, realistically there is no chance he is hanging his hat in Buffalo this year coming....

Old
04-18-2012, 11:13 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
There's going to be a fight over the players' cut of hockey-related revenues. The percentage of revenues going to players is where the big fights in the NFL and NBA labor battles took place. Given that NHL players earn a higher percentage of sport-related revenue than do their football and basketball counterparts, the owners are likely going to negotiate a decrease in the players' cut. Since the cap is tied to that number, if the players' percentage is significantly decreased, the cap could stagnate or decrease slightly.

That's at least how I understood things from my limited reading about the issue.
I don't expect them to lower the cap via changing the CBA without providing some sort of amnesty period.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Pretty Sure Armia is under contract in Europe for another year - so, realistically there is no chance he is hanging his hat in Buffalo this year coming....
I have a vague recollection of one of our Finnish posters mentioning Armia's service duties next year, too.

He's still a couple of years off.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
tmack224

Hey just a quick question but when can teams start to trade with one another? right after the stanley cup finals or like the week of the draft?

Old
04-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Hey just a quick question but when can teams start to trade with one another? right after the stanley cup finals or like the week of the draft?
I'm pretty sure it's once their season has concluded. For instance, Buffalo and Columbus could swing a deal today if they wanted. IIRC, there have been some very minor deals before during the playoffs.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Buffalo can trade with any team who's season has ended

Closed Thread