HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Thread (All Proposals, Speculation, Blog Rumors in here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Just for clarity:
Blimp doesn't drop the Burrito coupons. They are dropped from the catwalk structure above the seats. Most float into the loges or Club sections. Ironic cause those folks can afford to pay for their burritos.

Wendy's 3 goal chilli promo is for 3 goals by any players not necessarily the same player (no hat trick required) Of course, scoring 3 goals in general was a challange this year, right?

Not ironic at all. They should get the extras with what they pay. Just because they pay more and may be able to afford more shouldn't mean they don't get something for it.

I guess I should save that for the politics and taxes thread.

Old
04-17-2012, 07:47 PM
650X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
I wouldnt mind that at all. And maybe its just me, but winning the President's trophy 2 years in a row, but then getting swept in the 1st round once doesnt really seem like a coaching issue to me. Especially with Jonathan Quick in the opposite net.
Oh I agree but I will take other teams scraps if they are that good.

Here puck daddy article about it

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...220212845.html

Old
04-17-2012, 08:07 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I am talking about "win now" not WinNow.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:21 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
That would make me laugh. It would be like Juice part two. Give me more Russians! If you trade Nash you'll get another guy that takes 25-30 games off and you'll get back quite of bit of his production loss.

It would be entertaining to see what Semin would do as "The man".

Capn and I discussed that a while ago. We both liked that idea. Doubt it happens.
Figured people would be against him. I'm the type of guy who will take anything and everything. Since I live in Vancouver and everyone I know doesn't like the Jackets, I like to talk about who we got and how legit the team is going to be. It's to bad about Semin. A former teammate said he felt if he wanted to, he could be the best scorer in the NHL. What he meant by wanted to was if he showed up and put effort into every game he played. He'll produce more then what Zherdev and Filatov produced probably but would give us a bigger headache.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:36 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Figured people would be against him. I'm the type of guy who will take anything and everything. Since I live in Vancouver and everyone I know doesn't like the Jackets, I like to talk about who we got and how legit the team is going to be. It's to bad about Semin. A former teammate said he felt if he wanted to, he could be the best scorer in the NHL. What he meant by wanted to was if he showed up and put effort into every game he played. He'll produce more then what Zherdev and Filatov produced probably but would give us a bigger headache.
Honestly, I wouldn't have a negative reaction if we signed him for a 3 or 4 year deal.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:11 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
I tihnk you're hitting the nail on the head but I question the timing. Is now the right time to blow it up and do a full rebuild?

Not now the bottom of the standings with the star wanting to leave. Now the decreasing number of fans in the stands and the reduced visibility to casual fans. If it blows up with the latter, do we become anything more than Edm or Mtl Expos with largely empty stadiums? (too late).

I think we need to find a balance of gasp for air and keep the head above water while reworking the development process so 5 years from now we can be competitive. You just can't lose all but your die hard fans until then which is what I fear a full rebuild now would do.
The St. Louis Blues were routinely drawing around 3-5k a game just a handful of seasons ago. The United Center, which sits 22k, was routinely only a fraction of the way full a few seasons ago, Phoenix, despite being almost a relocation certainty, has managed to climb out of the cellar when they were drawing a few thousand (if that) a night and have managed to make the playoffs two years in a row.... We are still drawing at least 10k a night despite being (arguably) the worst statisical NHL franchise over the last 12 year, thats the beauty of being the only "Big 4" in town.

If we are simply waiting for the "other shoe" to drop before we rebuild, whats the point? Unless the "retool" can include a playoff season then a successful "sophomore" season and make it sustainable, why wait?

We are going to take an attendance hit next season, no question about it. Its not the optimal time for a rebuild because the organization has been feeding us this line about competing for the playoffs and even when a plan fails they continue on this path of trying to push for more desperate moves to get us there when its clear the foundation isn't in place.

The optimal time would have been 5 years ago. Mike Priest's vision and his guiding hand have led us astray. Howson is nothing more than a glorified Yes Man, letting someone with no pro sports executive experience, no hockey experience and no clue push him around.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:50 PM
section 204

Now's the perfect time to rebuild. Expectations are low, the face of the franchise wants out, we have every opportunity to pile on good young talent for a couple years. Management has every possible excuse poised and ready if they decide to actually do this thing right. "We were forced to move our captain." "We had financial issues that forced us into lowering payroll." "We needed a couple years to properly develop the back end."

I for one would rather have a another season (or two if we must) at the very bottom of the league with the hope of piling enough talent to become a cup contender and not just a playoff contender. Don't want a repeat of the last decade, bad enough to miss the playoffs, "good" enough to stay out of the top draft talent.

I would also add that my preference would be that this [U]rebuild[U] take place under different management, but if that's not gonna happen I'd rather not let the best get in the way of the good.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Keith -> i don't see us taking a full on attendance hit next year...ticket sales have to be doing sorta well just based on the guarentee for ASG seats with it..

Old
04-17-2012, 10:09 PM
section 204

Little OT, but anyone know the salary floor for next season? capgeek already has us as 17 mil under the cap - if we shed Nash without adding a significant number in return we'll be well under 40 mil with 15 players signed. Looks like 50 mil was the basement spending this past season.

I know that it's way off in the future with all kinds of player movement yet to take place, but just another angle on the offseason to discuss here. Could we go from a cap team to a floor team in one year?

Old
04-17-2012, 10:21 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Keith -> i don't see us taking a full on attendance hit next year...ticket sales have to be doing sorta well just based on the guarentee for ASG seats with it..
Agreed. We've got one year before the s*** hits the fan.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:52 AM
EDM

Yeah, the guarantee of seats for the All Star game has probably locked long suffering STH's (such as myself) into at least one more year of misery.

Old
04-18-2012, 05:48 AM
EspenK

I'm not sure what the big attraction is to the NHL All Star game. It is basically an offensive free for all that bears little resemblance to the game which is normally played. Similar to the NBA & NFL games. At least in baseball you don't see pitchers throwing like batting practice and guys not making plays.

As to when a rebuild should take place it is now. End of story. fan expectations shouldn't be very high; Nash wants out which should provide a decent return of assets; we have 4 of the top 47 picks in the draft (assuming LA loses next round and if we get a 1 back in the nash deal the count goes to 5);and next year's draft is supposedly loaded and with another lousy season and another top 5 or better pick coming it is the perfect time to finish 30th again.

And for those who cling to the belief that this team can be retooled into a contender remember, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:15 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I'm not sure what the big attraction is to the NHL All Star game.
The attraction is obvious, the chance to see the elite all in one afternoon. Its the event, not the contest.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Was going to post this in the "interesting info" thread, but thought it would get more responses in this one.

According to Portie's twitter, Arniel is scouting for the Canucks, with the Jackets blessing and CBUS will honor his contract still, which has a year left on it.

Anybody else get the sense that the organization couldn't wait to see him get out of town? No token scouting position with the organization like they did with Hitch and Gallant, just wanted him out of sight and out of mind.... He really seemed to bite his tongue in the exit interview with the Dispatch when they asked him if he thought he was a fall guy for problems elsewhere.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Was going to post this in the "interesting info" thread, but thought it would get more responses in this one.

According to Portie's twitter, Arniel is scouting for the Canucks, with the Jackets blessing and CBUS will honor his contract still, which has a year left on it.

Anybody else get the sense that the organization couldn't wait to see him get out of town? No token scouting position with the organization like they did with Hitch and Gallant, just wanted him out of sight and out of mind.... He really seemed to bite his tongue in the exit interview with the Dispatch when they asked him if he thought he was a fall guy for problems elsewhere.
I wouldn't read too much into it.
It's an old boy's club.
They take care of their own knowing what goes around, comes around.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
That's totally ridiculous. WinNow has not prevented this team from developing. She has been a loyal fan for years. She lives and dies with this lousy operation. She worked 18 hours a day during the Christmas season, then came home and watched the Jackets lose and joined CBJ chats.

I suspect WinNow might donate a kidney for a CBJ Stanley Cup championship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I am talking about "win now" not WinNow.
*waves*

And, for the record, if it gets us the Cup they can take my spleen too.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:16 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

The thread started with a discussion about untouchables and it made me think of the image some sort of Vinny trade would project around the league. (I have Vinny on my untouchable list. Leadership.)

With regard to attracting FAs, would trading a guy you previously told would be with the organization until retirement and beyond put another dent in what little credibility might be left with GMSH and/or the CBJ?

Old
04-18-2012, 01:36 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
The thread started with a discussion about untouchables and it made me think of the image some sort of Vinny trade would project around the league. (I have Vinny on my untouchable list. Leadership.)

With regard to attracting FAs, would trading a guy you previously told would be with the organization until retirement and beyond put another dent in what little credibility might be left with GMSH and/or the CBJ?
Trading Prospal would be the worst decision possible. WinSock donating her kidney and spleen for the Cup would probably be second.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
Trading Prospal would be the worst decision possible. WinSock donating her kidney and spleen for the Cup would probably be second.
Just for that I'm throwing in my uvula.

Don't think I won't...

Old
04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
Just for that I'm throwing in my uvula.

Don't think I won't...
I won't ever pretend to be a bigger fan than you WinSock.

Old
04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Looks like Luongo, not Schneider, is the odd man out in Vancouver.. I think we should try to get him regardless of contract. He's an elite goalie.

Old
04-18-2012, 03:43 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Looks like Luongo, not Schneider, is the odd man out in Vancouver..
Only if they can move Luongo's contract.

Quote:
I think we should try to get him regardless of contract. He's an elite goalie.
Interesting dilemma. The argument could be made, if he was an elite goal tender, why would he be the odd man out?

Old
04-18-2012, 03:57 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Only if they can move Luongo's contract.

Interesting dilemma. The argument could be made, if he was an elite goal tender, why would he be the odd man out?
Because he got pushed out by another elite younger goaltender.

Old
04-18-2012, 04:20 PM
wahsnairb

Luongo? DO NOT WANT

Old
04-18-2012, 05:08 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Looks like Luongo, not Schneider, is the odd man out in Vancouver.. I think we should try to get him regardless of contract. He's an elite goalie.
So he's 33. In the five years it will take this team to be a contender if they do a great job building it, he'll be washed up. And the best part? They will then have him for ANOTHER five years!

Pass-

Closed Thread