HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
He's easily a 2nd pairing dman. Probably a 3 on most teams. I value him slightly more than I value schenn tbh
Agreed... For now... however I think Schenn has a higher ceiling in terms of potential to be that physical shutdown type everyone wants.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:02 AM
mpp9

Thanks for the replies. I'd say a big thing that needs to happen in the offseason is becoming more difficult to play against in our own end. Schenn accomplishes that and has upside left to reach.

I'm convinced. Staal+ for Kulemin+Schenn.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Minimalist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'd say a big thing that needs to happen in the offseason is becoming more difficult to play against in our own end. Schenn accomplishes that and has upside left to reach.

I'm convinced. Staal+ for Kulemin+Schenn.
Staal has so much more value than that. A third line grinder and an overpaid bottom pairing shutdown dman with zero offensive upside? And you're going to ADD?

Old
04-18-2012, 01:32 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Staal has so much more value than that. A third line grinder and an overpaid bottom pairing shutdown dman with zero offensive upside? And you're going to ADD?
I view those players differently I guess.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:34 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Is there anything besides the 3 kids / Yakupov that would interest the Penguins?

In addition to players, future picks and current prospects would be up for grabs.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:43 AM
SEALBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Is there anything besides the 3 kids / Yakupov that would interest the Penguins?

In addition to players, future picks and current prospects would be up for grabs.
Not really...kinda like saying "besides our kids (Sid, Geno, Staal, Letang, Neal, MAF)"...

Old
04-18-2012, 01:47 AM
PhiladelphiaKessel
DontCrossthe****Line

Quote:
I think your undervaluing both players tbh.

If Kulemin is a third line grinder, Staal is a 3rd line center

Kulemin obviously had a rough year, but is capable of putting up 20-30 goals and has size (6'1'' 225lbs). And Schenn has huge upside that just needs to regain his confidence

Old
04-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Personally... not really. Smid is attractive. And the Oil do have a lot of other intriguing young players. However they wouldn't be a better team until any of those players could become impact players - if they ever do. The Pens are not building for the future and young players/projects and picks don't do a lot for them. That's not to say they don't hold value... it's just not where many would like to see the Pens go.

I'd probably take Kuli/Schenn over Smid and 2 or 3 of the below players. Even 3 of them... would be tempting, but it's still a quality for quantity. Typically the team giving up the best player usually loses (see Phaneuf deal for one of the more recent one of these).

Potter
Petry
MPS
Lander
Omark
Hartikainen

Whatever RS does, he has a difficult decision to make as to where to take this team, and how to go about it.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:54 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
No Staal is a #2 pick, so you would need a higher pick. Maybe Ryan + Palmieri for Staal + Tangradi
Hahaha so we give up the best player, and best prospect in the trade?

Old
04-18-2012, 03:01 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagshaw View Post
Kulemin = 30 goal scorer one year ago and has an off year.
Franson = young solid 2 way D, NHL ready with top 4 potential.
Scrivens = One of the AHL's best goalies, allowing fewest goals in the AHL this year.

Scraps
For Jordan Staal, that's scraps.....seems like every year the leafs have an AHL goalie do well...then he comes to the NHL and sucks...

Old
04-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I like Gorges but I'm not convinced about moving Staal for him, personally I'm not convinced about moving Staal at all. MaxPac, Subban and 3rd overall are obviously the most enticing pieces but I can't see Habs moving MaxPav, I'm not sure Subban is the guy we need on the backend and the 3rd overall isn't going to help us next year.
3rd overall has a chance to be a number 1 centre. Unless the habs do something stupid and draft a dman, or trade it away for a tool.

Pacs may have scored 30, but I'd like to see him do it again before I call him a 30 goal scorer. Scoring 30, 40, 50, or whatever once doesn't make you a consistent (insert number of goals here) goal scorer. Just means you have the capability to do it.

Kulemin has scored 30 once and before that never broken 20. Maybe the pens should be more interested in MacArthur. He's scored 20 twice and been close twice, so he's a consistent 20 goal scorer.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla

A boy can dream right?

Old
04-18-2012, 07:17 AM
wej20

Quote:

not that could be the main piece for a guy like Staal.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Pitts fans still happy with Fleury?

For fun:

Price and Plekanec for Fleury, Staal and a 1st.

Habs pick Forsberg with 3rd and go for Subban or Vasilevski with pitts 1st (can use a 2nd to reach either one if needed).

Gionta-Staal-Forsberg
Pac-Desharnais-Cole

I dunno lol

Flame away

Old
04-18-2012, 07:24 AM
heartsabres*

Derek Roy + Mark Pysyk + Nash 1st for Staal

Old
04-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Crosberry87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I like Gorges but I'm not convinced about moving Staal for him, personally I'm not convinced about moving Staal at all. MaxPac, Subban and 3rd overall are obviously the most enticing pieces but I can't see Habs moving MaxPav, I'm not sure Subban is the guy we need on the backend and the 3rd overall isn't going to help us next year.
Id love to have subban, to watch him **** with giroux for the next ten years.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:37 AM
bobbyflex

imagine if Pitts chose Teows instead of Staal. and E.Staal instead of Fleury. They would've had 4 franchise centers!!

Old
04-18-2012, 08:02 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
One's 24, the other is 32 a carries a 7m cap hit, and will likely sign for at least 6m+ on his next deal (unless it's 5+ years and tails off at the end, and then the cap hit might only be 5-5.5).
That only helps your point but Iginla will actually turn 35 on July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Derek Roy + Mark Pysyk + Nash 1st for Staal
Underwhelming to say the least. We have absolutely no use for Pysyk or Nashville's 1st, why downgrade from Staal (two-way) to Roy (all offense)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Pretty good defensively. 6,2-200, not the most physical (more like Niskanen than Michalek). Has a decent first pass. Reminds me a lot of Niskanen. I wouldn't say he's a shutdown type, but he's not bad.

While he's good and is easily a 2nd pairing guy, unless the Pens ship out Orpik, Martin and Michalek, and sign a couple big physical UFA's, I don't see room for Gunner unless it's a 1-1 replacing either Martin or Michalek.
This. We've spent the second half of the season saying we have to ship some waiver-eligible d-men or we'll lose them for nothing. That hasn't changed just because our D has sucked for 3 games against the Flyers. And if we're giving up Staal for a d-man, I would much much rather have Gorges than Gunnarson.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:02 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

CBS 1st pick and Tyutin/Wiz

for

Pens 1st pick and Staal

plus still something from both sides of course but up written is basic

Old
04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
imagine if Pitts chose Teows instead of Staal. and E.Staal instead of Fleury. They would've had 4 franchise centers!!
And no goalie!

Old
04-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
And no goalie!
Still better than having Fleury

Old
04-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Maybe try watching a player before expressing your opinion

Old
04-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla

A boy can dream right?
Summer of 2013 this will happen

Old
04-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Still better than having Fleury
Nah, just because he's not playing sharp in this year's playoffs, doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
i cant imagine pittsburgh getting significantly better then schenn and kulemin as a return for staal. its 2 useful roster players that are both under 25.

if schenn is a bottom pairing defenseman and kulemin is a 3rd liner what does that make staal? schenn = top 4 defenseman and kulemin = 2nd line winger wich proven chemistry with malkin.

you would need to do a good job convincing me that staal would be worth more then what carter or richards got especially considering he only has 1 year left on his contract and then is a ufa. i would think he would want at least a grabovski type contract ($5.5 million x 5 years) to resign.

carter = 9th overall + vorachek + 3rd
richards = schenn + simmonds

kulemin = vorachek = simmonds imo
luke schenn = 9th overall

Closed Thread