vCash: 500
It'll be interesting. But I don't think bayern will have enough in Madrid

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

I'm gonna go against my not-so-strict "don't drink and post" policy, but I'm gonna do it anyway, since I have literally no idea what a couple of you guys have been seeing here...

Bayern's defense has been underrated for a hell of a long time now, because they don't have any flashy names in there (well, and because they sucked a few years ago). As proven again tonight, that doesn't matter. Holger Badstuber is one of the best center backs in Europe this season, and it doesn't really matter how many people really take notice. One of the guys with the best first pass, too, but that will probably not make its way around mainstream media at least until the European Championship, and likely longer. Boateng was a bit of an issue, as he seemed scared as hell in the first half whenever Ronaldo was coming up at him, staying three meters away to not get beat in a 1-on-1, always leaving him way too much space to shoot. Gustavo is one of the better defensive midfielders in the game when his team does not have the ball - unfortunately, he also showed that he's not really good after he has succesfully taken the ball away.

The first goal wasn't offside, by any stretch of the imagination. Casillas knows exactly where the ball is, and Gustavo with no part of his body is between Casillas and the ball to impact his sightline, thus leaving Gustavo entirely passive to the situation. It was a lucky goal as hell, especially at the time with Bayern still looking to find a way into the game. Don't get the praise for Real's goal, either. Nice counter attack by Real in the early stages of the play (completely unnecessarily given up by Bayern, though), but a hell of a lucky goal in the end, as well. Ronaldo with a poor finish (no idea what he was thinking), and Real got lucky a first time with the ball ending up with one of their guys (forgot who it was), then they got lucky a second time, as there's no way Benzema intended that to be a pass (going that way, but mainly just being a pass), with the way that ball was going. It was a poor shot that ended up just within Ronaldo's reach. He made a perfect decision on what to do with it, though. Great job by Lahm, among others (as the formerly mentioned Gustavo) to completely take him out of the game, other than the first minutes and that play. Lahm's also done a good enough job offensively, and tonight was a fine example of how much more valuable he is on the right side. Alaba has been a revelation at left full back. I don't see it as his career position, because his fantastic skills seem to fit a midfield role better, but for now, he's been outstanding in that spot. Amazing young player.

Ribery had about one real dive, but other than that, he was getting hacked a lot. He had a pretty damn good game, otherwise. Robben seemed fine, as well. Not quite as active, but when he got the ball, he mainly made good decisions with it, distributing it to Lahm, or cutting it to the inside. Not one of his outrageous performances, but a completely fine one, to me. I agree with what many seemed to suggest - Marcelo should have been sent off for his reckless tackle on Mller, too, as the latter's fortunate he could continue to play.

With Neuer, it's easy to see. He is a fantastic goalie. He didn't have a great season (not sure why somebody indicated something like that) by any means, but his problems a really that he's just getting used to getting just a couple balls towards the net each game. Just like in hockey, that's not a comfortable thing for a goalie. In Dortmund, he got tested early on, and was great for the remainder. Same thing today. Very glad to have him around back there.

Looking forward to the second leg already. I certainly won't come close to underrating Real, as they could still do it, without any question, but I cannot se how it will be easy. When Bayern play the way they can, especially team defense wise, it's not going to be easy for Real to just go through that. After all, we haven't seen a whole lot of that after the first 15 minutes tonight, either. As I said, that may change, but there's no reason to be entirely pessimistic. If Real's going to play the way they did tonight, there's a chance to get to them defensively as well as offensively, and if they are going to be more aggressive offensively, it will give us more room on the counter attacks we love. It's going to be a thriller, if I had to guess. I hope Schweinsteiger can find a decent rhythm until then, because we most likely will need him at his best at the Bernabeu. I would not have expected to be able to beat Real without him at his best just once, and I would be even more expected to have that work out twice.

Last edited by Vipers31: 04-17-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:54 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
ronaldo was garbage...

ribery was man of the match for me

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
VladNYC

Few things make me happier then seeing Madrid lose. Good job Bayern

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:48 PM
les Habs

What's this? A dirty play from Marcelo? That can't be. I was told in the last year on this very forum that I was wrong to label him a dirty player. I'm confused.

Looks like Uefalona was at it again screwing Madrid over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
Disagree. Peek a boo!

I'll see you peek a boo with a pair of peek a boos at 1:40:

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 03:24 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Holger Badstuber is one of the best center backs in Europe this season, and it doesn't really matter how many people really take notice. One of the guys with the best first pass, too, but that will probably not make its way around mainstream media at least until the European Championship, and likely longer.
He will surely get noticed if he plays like he has against France.

In the wrong way.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:42 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
He will surely get noticed if he plays like he has against France.

In the wrong way.
Because that game was in any way relevant.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:00 AM
The_Human_Atombomb

If you didn't know, Evilo's point of reference when evaluating a player is how they played against France.

The_Human_Atombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Evilo

Yeah I'd say it was relevant to those german defensemen that were trying to gain their place with their NT.
And let's say Hummels sucked just as much as his games against Marseille and Badstuber tried to be at least as bad.

But year I'm sure those two guys didn't care about a friendly and decided to suck big time to impress their coach and gain their place on the bench.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Human_Atombomb View Post
If you didn't know, Evilo's point of reference when evaluating a player is how they played against France.
No, it's just that I see them over a whole game rather than highlights.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Baarle*
Lhme looduses

vCash: 50
Caaaaarfreee! Wherever we may be, we are the famous CFC!

Come on chelsea!

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:49 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

I really don't understand these guys who think Madrid has it easy in the next leg. How much soccer do you even watch?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Yeah I'd say it was relevant to those german defensemen that were trying to gain their place with their NT.
And let's say Hummels sucked just as much as his games against Marseille and Badstuber tried to be at least as bad.

But year I'm sure those two guys didn't care about a friendly and decided to suck big time to impress their coach and gain their place on the bench.
You don't really seem to know what you're talking about, here. Badstuber has been Lw's number one at center back for a very long time. And for obvious reasons. He doesn't have to impress his coach at every friendly Lw uses to experiment with things at this point, he has been beyond that point for quite a while. He's a fixture. For him, it was a friendly. You never want to play bad, so he's not getting a free pass, but it was just that. One bad game at a friendly. Talking it up to be more is, well, not very realistic.

Kind of absurd that you'd make such an effort in an attempt to disregard a player's performances and abilities due to one bad game in such a national team friendly. After the last World Cup I wasn't exactly lead to believe about every French player was terrible, and those games actually meant something.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:17 AM
SenorDingDong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I really don't understand these guys who think Madrid has it easy in the next leg. How much soccer do you even watch?
They dont, but the away goal is huge.

Its not that hard to predict Madrid winning 1-0.

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:19 AM
SenorDingDong

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
What's this? A dirty play from Marcelo? That can't be. I was told in the last year on this very forum that I was wrong to label him a dirty player. I'm confused.

Looks like Uefalona was at it again screwing Madrid over.

I'll see you peek a boo with a pair of peek a boos at 1:40:

Pepe is a brutal diver too, but it doesn't make it any better for Busquets.

I'm looking forward to his antics today, you know Chelsea is going to come out and play physical. Let the Barca cheese and wine show begin, swarm the ref like a bunch of school girls over Justin Bieber.

Btw I dont hate Barca, they are incredibly talented and the best team in the world. Which is why I cant stand how they react and complain so much, its embarrassing.

Last edited by SenorDingDong: 04-18-2012 at 09:58 AM.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
You don't really seem to know what you're talking about, here. Badstuber has been Lw's number one at center back for a very long time. And for obvious reasons. He doesn't have to impress his coach at every friendly Lw uses to experiment with things at this point, he has been beyond that point for quite a while. He's a fixture. For him, it was a friendly. You never want to play bad, so he's not getting a free pass, but it was just that. One bad game at a friendly. Talking it up to be more is, well, not very realistic.

Kind of absurd that you'd make such an effort in an attempt to disregard a player's performances and abilities due to one bad game in such a national team friendly. After the last World Cup I wasn't exactly lead to believe about every French player was terrible, and those games actually meant something.
Benzema not at WC.
Nasri not at WC.
Ribery his usual NT self : bad.
Malouda and co starting.

Yep it meant something : that french team sucked and their spirit was horrible.
It wasn't an accident : they sucked and didn't want to play together. They didn't care and it showed.

I don't think ANY performance is unnoticeable. Friendly, WC final, doesn't matter, a good player will try to perform. Especially if he is, as you said, pretty much a world class player ("one of the best CB in Europe".).
Saying, as you said, that a game was irrelevant is absolutely not something I believe in.

I didn't say he USUALLY sucks or that he's a BAD player.
I said IF he performs like he did in the next Euro, yes people WILL certainly notice him.

And I don't see many world class CBs performing like Hummels and Badsturber did that day. You can disagree all you want, but that's pretty much a fact.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
les Habs

Quote:

I'm looking forward to his antics today, you know Chelsea is going to come out and play physical. Let the Barca cheese and wine show begin, swarm the ref like a bunch of school girls over Justin Bieber.

Btw I dont hate Barca, they are incredibly talented and the best team in the world. Which is why I cant stand how they react and complain so much, its embarrassing.
They react and complain because they're frequently fouled and often times the refs do nothing about it. Quite frankly everyone does it too but only Bara seem to get called out on it.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I don't think ANY performance is unnoticeable. Friendly, WC final, doesn't matter, a good player will try to perform. Especially if he is, as you said, pretty much a world class player ("one of the best CB in Europe".).
"This season" was an important part of that statement to me, as I believe that players don't turn into "world class" in one season, but due to consistency over multiple years. I absolutely would not call him world class today. But I understand that you interpreted my statement that way, as that seems to be the way many people think these days in football.

Quote:
Saying, as you said, that a game was irrelevant is absolutely not something I believe in.
Well, I think that's a tad unrealistic, but fair enough. I don't think that game's relevance comes close to a single game in this year's CL campaign, or many game days in the league, to say the least.

Quote:
I didn't say he USUALLY sucks or that he's a BAD player.
I said IF he performs like he did in the next Euro, yes people WILL certainly notice him.
Well, the connotation of the remark was rather clear, I thought. If you didn't think him getting noticed in a bad way rather than in a good way was more likely, why make the remark to begin with? If it wasn't meant like that, fine.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:

Yeah, I mean it's a disgrace a ****ing disgrace. You'll never see an English player do that ever!

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I couldn't control the ball when nearly one on one with the keeper. It's a disgrace! A ****ING DISGRACE!

One thing I noticed in the Portugal/Argentina friendly about a year and a half ago was that Meireles looked very good against Messi taking the ball off him.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Ugh, so close.

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I remember when a majority of people foolishly thought Mascherano couldn't pass.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Slopo

This match should be 2-1 or 2-0 at this point.

Slopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I remember when a majority of people foolishly thought Mascherano couldn't pass.
Actually, his passing has improved massively since joining Bara.

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
awesomo
HARD!

have fun watching the entire match chelsea

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote