HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about New York Sports

Old
04-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL8981 View Post
Tough time to jump on the Rangers train. I'm happy for the younger fans who missed out on 1994 in that this season they finally saw a Rangers team be a upper echelon team.
I didn't miss out. Maybe at the time, but I saw that team in action. My dad owns every possible video/Dvd from that cup year. Between the cup vids and the Messier vids I feel like I know more about that team then some people who were big time fans during that time lol. Ive watched every single one probably 15 times. We even own the NJ and VAN series from that year in the DVD set.

04-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Rangers Yankees 49ers Knicks.

Thats my teams..

With that said, i watch every single minute of NY Rangers hockey. I watch maybe 30 yankees games a season and all the playoffs. ill watch the 49ers if they make the playoffs. I'd watch the Knicks if they made the finals.

frankly, it takes up too much time watching sports. not sure how some ppl here can watch every game for all 4 sports for the teams they follow...and some ppl even watch games for teams they dont follow. how do you people like.....live lol.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:19 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

Thats my teams..

With that said, i watch every single minute of NY Rangers hockey. I watch maybe 30 yankees games a season and all the playoffs. ill watch the 49ers if they make the playoffs. I'd watch the Knicks if they made the finals.

frankly, it takes up too much time watching sports. not sure how some ppl here can watch every game for all 4 sports for the teams they follow...and some ppl even watch games for teams they dont follow. how do you people like.....live lol.
Same for the Rangers. I watch about 50 or so Yankees games (theres just too damn many!). Jets I watch whenever they are on TV (which isn't consistently, you know how it is living in Atlanta) and the Knicks... see my weather channel comment above.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:48 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

I'm Mets, Rangers, Eagles (weird situation, I know- DISCLAIMER: I'd love love LOVE if the Eagles relocated), Knicks.

But the NY football team I root for is the Jets... so I'll call it Mets, Rangers, Jets, Knicks

From what I've seen the Mets fans are Jets fans and the Yankee fans are Giant fans. Hockey and baseketball don't seem to follow that rule as much.

1. New York Mets

**miniscule to non-existent gap**

2. New York Rangers

**sizeable gap**

3. Philadelphia Eagles

**big gap**

-San Diego Chargers
-New York Jets
-New Orleans Saints
(generally root for these teams)

**light year sized gap**

4. New York Knicks

Last edited by SouthJerseyRanger: 04-18-2012 at 01:57 AM.
SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:42 AM
MDL8981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

Thats my teams..

Hahaha I actually get this question asked alot because I'm such a huge sports fanatic. To be honest, I dont watch much TV outside of sports. I like movies, but I hate 99.9% of shows that are on TV. I mean I have a few shows here and there I watch (Family Guy, South Park, American Horror Story, true crime stuff i.e Dateline or 48 Hours), but not much else. When my co-workers discuss about all these shows they watch, 99.9% of the time I have no clue what they are talking about when they ask me about it. "Nope no idea what that is, I was watching games last night" is my usual response lol.

Almost all my friends are sports fans, so we plan hanging out around sports i.e going to games, going to a bar or someone's house to watch a game. I read stuff online about sports and read book about them. If I'm home, the TV is on and their is almost always a game or something involving sports on.

Its what I love...what else can I say. Because its a passion, I make time for it. Probably not a coincidence that I'm still single lol. My last GF made fun of me so much for it. Yet she'll turn around and watch all of those dumb reality shows that are on, so I made fun of her for that.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:07 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Rangers, Mets, Giants, Red Bulls, Cyclones

Rangers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> every other team

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:11 AM
bettercallstaal
Stepan Stepan Stepan

Rangers, Jets, Yankees, Knicks. The only reason I'm a Jets fan is because that's what everyone was around my neighborhood. I live in Putnam county so my neighborhood is in the middle of the woods. Kind of sheltered. Now everyone I know is I know is a Giants fan and I have to hear about it all the time.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Rangers, jets, Knicks, and Bo Sox. I like the sox because I used to love pissing off people and it just stuck

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

I'm the standard Rangers/Giants/Yankees. Inherited from my dad, who is from Staten Island.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Rangers/Giants/Yanks/Knicks. Just followed from my dad and grandfather.

When I was growing up during the Yanks' 96-00 run it used to be Yankees> all because I loved all the guys on those teams- Paul O'Neil, Bernie Williams, Scott Brosius, Clemens, David Wells and David Cone.

Then as that started to break apart after the 2001 World Series loss, I started focusing more on the Giants. My dad always refused to subscribe to MSG (lol) so I would only catch the Rangers when they were on ESPN.

Then post-lockout when MSG was included, the Rangers quickly became equally as important to me as the Giants, and the Yankees kind of fell to the back burner. The thing with the Yankees for me was that the 95-01 teams were so likeable, and then after that they just started added mercenaries every year and I lost interest a bit. Now its Rangers/Giants > all.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I'm Rangers, Jets, Mets (though I don't give two ****s about baseball) and I ****ing hate the NBA and cheer to myself whenever the Knicks lose.

I watch Jets games, but am not passionate at all. I'm a Rangers diehard and will be for life.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Its what I love...what else can I say. Because its a passion, I make time for it. Probably not a coincidence that I'm still single lol. My last GF made fun of me so much for it. Yet she'll turn around and watch all of those dumb reality shows that are on, so I made fun of her for that.
Oh I definitely can sympathize with you there. My gf will be like "ew I don't like hockey" and then 5 minutes later "OMGZ I LUV MOB WIVES SO MUUUCHHH!!!111111"

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:12 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The whole
Rangers/Giants/Yankees/Knicks
Islanders/Jets/Mets/Knicks
thing doesn't exist anymore.

Back in the old days it made sense.
Rangers played in Manhattan, Giants played in Manhattan and the Bronx , Yankees played in the Bronx. Therefore, if you lived in City or North of it, you followed those teams.

In the same way Islanders in LI, Mets and Jets in Queens (LI). Therefore if you lived in Long Island, you followed those teams.

As time went on though, the Jets and Giants moved to NJ so the line between those teams has become blurred.

Also, there are now Devils fans scattered around, especially in the Rockland area (since they're quite close to NJ). This of course was a two fold with the Rangers being horrible for 7 years and the Devils being one the the top teams in the NHL for 15 years.

Since the Islanders have been terrible for almost two decades, there are also many more Rangers fans in LI than there were 20 years ago.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 04-18-2012 at 09:17 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Jersey Girl

Here's how it works for the team that plays under the circus tent on Long Island. When they win something a bunch of people who tend to lack in dental hygiene start mouthing off like they actually know something.

When the team goes back into hibernation for a decade at a time, they go back to having about six fans.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
I am Rangers, Mets, Jets
Me too. Been a long road

Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
ReverbAndDelay
In on the Kill Taker

Ice hockey is the only sport outside of football (soccer) i follow, so i really can't say I care. If i had to pick, I guess I'd pull for the giants and the mets, though i have zero interest in either sport.

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
thewaitingisover

Yup, pretty much what everyone else said.

Yanks/Rangers/Knicks/Giants

Devils fans are generally Mets and Jets fans.

I know one Nets fan and one Islanders fan.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:33 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Could Met fans be Jet fans because the Jets played in Shea? Same thing with the Giants; they played in Yankee Stadium.
yes, but that was so long ago I dont really think it matters. For me it is Giants, Rangers, Mets. With the Giants being 1, Rangers 1a, and the Mets a very distant 3rd. My parents weren't into sports when I was a kid, so I was more influenced by my friends and some of the older kids in the neighborhood. One of the older kids whom I absolutely hated was a Yankees-Isles-C*wb*ys fan. This was early 80's and he jumped on the Isles bandwagon. So, I went against him. One of the older kids who was always really nice to me was Giants-Rangers as well, and I guess I kind of followed after him in that regard. My best friend as a little kid was a mets fan and his dad was a huge mets fan. He lived on a dead end street, so we would often play football, baseball, whatever in the street in front of his house. For day games, we would often stop playing and go into his house to watch the game with his dad. Another friend's dad was a Yankee fan and the Yankee fans would go into his house for the Yankee games. I was better friends with the Mets and liked his dad better, so would go in there and I guess that is how I got cursed into being a Mets fan.

Last edited by patnyrnyg: 04-18-2012 at 10:38 AM.
patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:34 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaitingisover View Post
Yup, pretty much what everyone else said.

Yanks/Rangers/Knicks/Giants

Devils fans are generally Mets and Jets fans.

I know one Nets fan and one Islanders fan.
Not really. I find most Devils fans to be Giants and Yankees fans. Giants and Yankees are far more popular in Jersey than the Jets and Mets.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:43 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drubov View Post
I'm a Rangers/Jets/Yankees/Knicks fan.

I feel like being a Yankees/Jets fan humbles my Yankee fanship. I'm not an obnoxious fan who's always talking about rings. I'm tired of being a lowly Jets fan, though. Come on. One. Just give me one.
I am this as well and exactly in that order!

No worries I feel the same way,too.

I just want to see a Super Bowl forget about win one!

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:03 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Yanks, Giants, Rangers, Knicks. The bad thing about NY...is that because its such a big city and such a melting pot...is that its so hard to ever see the people united as one when it comes to cheering for one of their teams. I mean compare it to a place like Boston, where everyone is a Sox, Celtics, Pats and Bruins fan.

In NY...when the Yanks win, a portion of the city is pissed because they are Mets fans. When the Giants win, you have upset Jets fans. Not even taking into account fans of other teams that relocated to NY, yet still of course still support their team. Probably the closest you can come to seeing NY fully behind a team, is when the Rangers and Knicks are making a deep playoff run.
This is an excellent point. I agree 100% -- It's the one thing I don't like about being a NY Sports fan.

04-18-2012, 11:29 AM
DM23BK30

I dont think there is a single Isles fan in Brooklyn anymore. There used to be thousands.

Williamsburgh hipsters or Suffolk County transplants dont count. I'm talking born-and-raised Brooklyn after 1985 or so.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
A lot depends on your family.

My dad grew up a Ranger, Football Giants and Baseball Giants fan. He ultimately became a Mets fan (wouldn't root for the Yankees after the Giants went west). So I am a Ranger, Giants and Mets fan.

04-18-2012, 11:58 AM
thesnake

Rangers/Jets/Mets for me (Bergen Co NJ all my life). As for basketball, they could disband the NBA and I'd celebrate.

I like to say I'd trade 3 NYJ Super Bowls and 10 NYM World Series for a single NYR Stanley Cup... just to give an idea of how I rank the sports.

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Lundqvist 30 NY

Rangers/Yankees/Jets/Bulls

Yuuuppp

Lundqvist 30 NY is offline   Reply With Quote