HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

What is "Success" for this team?

View Poll Results: How far do we have to go?
Making the Playoffs was enough 2 2.90%
Make Round 2 (Win 1 round) 6 8.70%
Make Western Conference Finals (Win 2 Rounds) 36 52.17%
Make Stanley Cup Finals (Win Western Conference) 11 15.94%
Win The Cup 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
What is "Success" for this team?

How far do we have to go to have a "successful" season?

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:20 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I think for us making it one round farther than the previous year can be considered a positive outcome for the season.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:25 AM
NoNecksCurse

western conference finals.. at least. we won't have an easier year to make it to the cup..

NoNecksCurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Well, I'd say finishing the regular season ahead of Detroit was a start. I think winning 2 playoff games against the Redwings at the Joe was also a huge step for us. Finishing the series against the Wings is another step in the right direction.

I guess, right now, I'm a happer camper. I'm not at all satisfied though, it can't stop here.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:58 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

If you asked me in early December, I'd say not finishing with the #1 overall was a success. If people can remember everyone who left and how our team started off this season, honestly making the playoffs was a huge success. I voted 2nd round just to match last year. Also, getting there by knocking out Detroit adds extra value.

kypredsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Legionnaire11

I voted WCF, but really a strong second round would be good. Like tooth and nail, seven game series with EVERYTHING left on the ice. We have to leave with the feeling that the Preds gave it 100% and were just beaten by a better team. If they lose in the second round and we feel like there was still something left on the table, if there are a lot of "if that one goal had gone in, if that penalty wasn't called, if player X didn't get hurt", that's not good enough.

Winning the second round is the best answer to that.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:02 AM
token grinder

A win Friday night. then ask.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

At this stage, with a short window and possibly the last iteration with the best defensive pairing in the league, I don't think we can be happy just to win a round. The milestones trig mentions are valid, and I'm super excited for them...but being satisfied with making the second round or even winning there is a loser mentality. This team is a legitimate cup contender, and anything outside of the finals should be considered a disappointment.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Well, I'd say finishing the regular season ahead of Detroit was a start. I think winning 2 playoff games against the Redwings at the Joe was also a huge step for us. Finishing the series against the Wings is another step in the right direction.

I guess, right now, I'm a happer camper. I'm not at all satisfied though, it can't stop here.
agreed.

as great as it would be to do all this and beat the wings, if we lose the next round, especially if we get dominated, its not gonna feel like a successful year

Old
04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

Honestly, this year just feels like its out year...I'm already proud of our team but we have a definite shot at making it to the SCF

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:33 AM
tserberis*

To call it success - SCF. Other then that just a good season.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:03 AM
VFL615*

If we can finish Detroit off Friday and Vancuver gets beat by the Kings no way anything but getting to the Stanley Cup is labeled a successful season.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:48 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The obvious answer is winning the Cup, but I think realistically we need to hit the WCF. Last year we got out of the first round for the first time. This year we are in good shape to do it again, but by beating Detroit. We need to get passed the second round ASAP to avoid players and fans alike starting to feel as if we went from a one-and-done team to a two-and-done team

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:58 AM
SavageSteve

Right now... the only success is the Cup. Any other outcome will be evaluated when it happens. Till then, we have but one measuring stick for success this season!! LAST TEAM STANDING!

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Western Conference finals would be a great step. That said, while we need to finish off the Red Wings first, the Western Conference second round is shaping up to be a very favorable path to the SCF as others have said.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
predfan24

I said WCF but as long as they don't collapse against Detroit and play to the level they are capable of in the 2nd round I would be OK if the better team beat us.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I said WCF but as long as they don't collapse against Detroit and play to the level they are capable of in the 2nd round I would be OK if the better team beat us.
If vancouver loses there will not be a team left in the west that I wouldn't be disappoonted to lose to. St Louis would maybe be considered a "better" team but I would still feel like we blew it if we lost to them(but we cannot possibly face the blues in round 2 so if we lose to them it will still be a "success" by my earlier definition)

Old
04-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

My initial answer says the conference finals, but I don't think the answer is that black and white. Everyone can agree that last year was our most "successful season" based on making the second round. While I agree with that, we got pretty much outplayed against Vancouver and to me, it never really felt that we had a legitimate shot to win that series.

If we lose in the second round this season and play really well in the process, I think it would be considered out "most successful" season but not necessarily good enough this year.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:20 PM
predwings

Success is hard to measure this season. A lot of fans think we've got a shot to make it to the finals and at least play for the cup. I think the road is very favorable this year. If we can get out of this round in 5 games we will be one of the only teams with some rest going into the next round. Also we'd likely have an idea who we are going to play.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Tennman

I don't think it is as simple as saying if we make it to the WCF or SCF that the season has been a success. You have to take advantage of your opportunities.
For example, if the preds take a 3-0 lead in the WCF and end up losing the series would you still consider the season a success?

Tennman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:11 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

We need to get to the Conference Finals, especially if we play the winner of the Phoenix/Chicago series in the second round, which looks like a very strong possibility. I like our chances against both of those teams.

I don't know if we can get past LA. That team is built for the playoffs. They're one of three teams - St. Louis and Vancouver being the others - that I think can match us in goal. They've got a lot of veterans, guys who have been deep in the playoffs in Richards, Carter, Scuderi, Williams, Stoll, Penner, and Greene.

St. Louis will be a very tough match-up, as well. Elliot and Halak are both in sensational form. Andy McDonald has given that team a renewed offensive spark and has been in this territory before. They don't give up anything easily and play with the kind of fire that one has come to expect from good Hitchcock teams.

The impressive thing is, if we can lock up Suter and Weber, this team will pretty much stay intact from the one that started last season, plus the possibility of Radulov coming back for a full season or five. I'd say that makes us a contender next year, too.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I would say getting to the western conference finals, but I would just be happy with us beating detroit in the first round. I think pretty much everything hinges on that. I am not scared of PHX or Chicago, but LA scares the heck out of me and if we get them in the 2nd round, I don't see us getting by them.

So again, win this series and I am happy (preferably friday) get to the WCF and I would say its a very successful season

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:36 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If vancouver loses there will not be a team left in the west that I wouldn't be disappoonted to lose to. St Louis would maybe be considered a "better" team but I would still feel like we blew it if we lost to them(but we cannot possibly face the blues in round 2 so if we lose to them it will still be a "success" by my earlier definition)
I thought if Vancouver, St. Louis, Nashville and Chicago won their series that we'd have to play St. Louis?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:24 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I thought if Vancouver, St. Louis, Nashville and Chicago won their series that we'd have to play St. Louis?
correct. there's no one we CAN't play next round

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:41 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
correct. there's no one we CAN't play next round
well, I was already counting Vancouver out... which if it happens will then make it impossible for us to play the Blues..

if Vancouver comes back and wins their series...