HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question for Gainey...

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
No it's just that 10-20% of you don't know a good thing when you see it.
hey, cap space is all fine and good. My point is that building a real cup contender is all about asset management. My feeling is that so far as GM, Gainey has not done a very good job of asset management. I've said it before here, but part of being a good/great G.M is getting great return on the commodities you trade away.
And thus far, I have been less than impressed by what he's been able to bring in via trades.

I am anxious to see what he does this summer with cap room and plenty of talented UFA's available, but right now I just don't see the kind of long-term planning unfolding...

In contrast, take a look at the calgary flames under Sutter. He came in and the team was an absolute mess. They had very little going for them, and nothing in the farm. Three years later, they've been to one cup final, they are among the leagues best, they are relatively young, reasonable salaries accross the board -yeah iggy at 7 mill is a ton, but he had to be signed and some of his off struggles go with the system they play-, they have a clear identity, and their farm is slowly getting better.
Listening to the radio here, a lot of people are upset that they didn't get some more offense. Thing is that he didn't want to give up players that are a part of his PLAN...
With the habs, I just don't see that...
Are Zednik, Bonk, Aebisher, Ribeiro, Souray, Ryder, Huet, Dandeneault all part of our cup contending plan? (i put ryder in there cuz if he is part of the plan, then why only a 1 year deal? and don't tell me that he picked up Huet thinking that he would replace theo...)

Anyways, I just think that the faith I had in him is starting to fade b/c his moves lack clear intention, and I don't see why some people here are so confident in him (what is it you see that I am not seeing??)

Who gave theo the big contract in the first place?

Old
03-09-2006, 07:16 PM
znk

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rry&id=2360874

Read.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
interestibg article, thanks for posting it.
I'd love to eat my words a year or two or 3 from now, with the avs watching aebisher hoist the cup...
but right now we re all speculating, and my feel is that abby is not the kind of goalie that carries a non-playoff team into the 2nd round (and a coachingblunder away from a conference finals)... Theo has done it and if he puts it back together, will do it again...
that "if", to me, is worth more than just aebisher

Old
03-09-2006, 09:32 PM
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time
interestibg article, thanks for posting it.
I'd love to eat my words a year or two or 3 from now, with the avs watching aebisher hoist the cup...
but right now we re all speculating, and my feel is that abby is not the kind of goalie that carries a non-playoff team into the 2nd round (and a coachingblunder away from a conference finals)... Theo has done it and if he puts it back together, will do it again...
that "if", to me, is worth more than just aebisher
if Irbe and Weekes did it with Carolina Aebischer and Huet can do it too

Old
03-09-2006, 09:52 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Jury still out IMO

Gainey's Positives

1. Let's rookies play and it pays off for Komi and Higgins
2. Got Huet (not even Gainey could see how much he could mean to this team!)
3. Getting the team to believe to play with speed, forecheck and sacrifice the body
4. Signing Koivu

Gainey's Mistakes

1. Signing Bonk (Nobody could see Bonk would only have 2 friggin goals! )
2. Signing Dumb Dumb Dandy (MISTAKE!)
3. Not trading at least one of Ribero or Zednik at the trade deadline

A WASH

1. Giving Theo a HUGE contract
2. Getting rid of Theo's contract

(Can't blame Gainey for Theo's aweful year and off ice activity)

CONCLUSION

Jury is still out, he seems very sincere about building with youth, but the acid test IMO will come over the summer when he fills out the roster with all the flexiblity he now has under the cap.

He knows we need a true power forward and a top 2 Dman. Let's see what they do and how they draft.

1. Signing

Closed Thread