HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Missing - Please help us find Marian Gaborik AKA "Gabby"

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
It's amazing that the guy hates him so much. I mean, he's an incredibly successful hockey player and he's had to overcome such a physical handicap because of his kinetic makeup. How could you not admire him for beating the odds to this degree?
Your condescension is not appreciated but you do make a good point. It's amazing that this guy has fooled everyone into thinking he's a talented hockey player.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Svenhart2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Good thing for both of us, I watch the games so I don't need stats to form my opinions. I'll keep you informed of what's happening on the ice.
What, in your opinion, made Gaborik so successful this season?

Old
04-18-2012, 11:43 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
When you see Gaborik not able to backhand a puck - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik physically unable to take a faceoff - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik act like a 40 year old during his goal celebrations - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik get pinned against the boards and he sticks to the boards like glue - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik unable to stick handle - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik on a partial breakaway and he gets deterred by the slightest of contact - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik on partial breakaways and after making his shot attempt he loops out towards 1st avenue before realizing where he is - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

Thats my definition of poor kinetic makeup. The Marian Gaborik syndrome = poor kinetic makeup.
Lol, you're hatred of Gaborik is a bit ridiculous, but I can't say I didn't read those things and kind of chuckle in agreement.

Prust looks more comfortable taking a weak side shot on the rush then Gaborik.

However Marian was fantastic this year, not sure why this thread exists. He'll come around, and Ottawa is playing him well. Their fans have been on Spezza a ton as well.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Your condescension is not appreciated but you do make a good point. It's amazing that this guy has fooled everyone into thinking he's a talented hockey player.
Do you have an opinion on any NYR players other than Gaborik?

04-18-2012, 11:45 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
He scored game 1 and has hit the crossbar / post at least twice, Not to mention its a goalie war out there. Are people really thinking gabby is playing "bad?"

Old
04-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Quoted for absolute hilarity! Are you a scout? Did you ever play at any level? How is it possible a guy drafted 3rd overall and has hit 40 goals 3 times is not talented? I guarantee all GMs in the NHL as well as all REAL scouts would disagree with you.

This has to be a troll angle. Nobody can be this dense.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:49 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenhart2008 View Post
What, in your opinion, made Gaborik so successful this season?
Because fans judge success by being able to have one good moment every 2 games as opposed to having one good moment every 4 games. (stat sheet)

I, on the other hand, sit 2 feet from my TV and analyze every single action players make. If I see something good I make a mental + mark and if I see something bad I make a mental - mark. I then ask my brain to organize these pluses and minuses to form an opinion of a player. It's a system that has worked in all areas of my life. I call it "using my brain".

I think my system which involves thousands and thousands of "data points" is more effective than looking at a solitary number that has no context.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
After I backed you up on the existence of kinetic makeup? I'm hurt, really.

What do you think Gaborik's secret is that he's got us fooled? I mean, I know you don't think he's got the dexterity to be a magician, so what is it? And you can't just sit there and say we're fooled by stats. You are almost literally alone in your assessment of him as a player. There are plenty of people, including myself, who look at players beyond the stat page and think Gaborik is a fine hockey player.

Old
DeadPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
He scored game 1 and has hit the crossbar / post at least twice, Not to mention its a goalie war out there. Are people really thinking gabby is playing "bad?"
Not bad, just not up to what I believe he's capable of. The way the Rangers have not relied on him is obviously a good thing, but these are the playoffs.

Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Do you have an opinion on any NYR players other than Gaborik?
If this is his take on Gaborik, do you really want to know? I remember his thoughts on Drury. That was enough for me.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
If this is his take on Gaborik, do you really want to know? I remember his thoughts on Drury. That was enough for me.
Gaborik >>>>>>> Drury, I'll give you that.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:55 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Lol, you're hatred of Gaborik is a bit ridiculous, but I can't say I didn't read those things and kind of chuckle in agreement.
Welcome to the movement.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
DeadPuck

Just not a producer in the playoffs? Maybe I'm expecting too much?

Old
04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Gaborik >>>>>>> Drury, I'll give you that.
A perennial 40 goal scorer is better than a third line defensive center and utilitarian special teams piece? I'm glad using your brain allows you to reach such advanced deductions.

I never wanted the Rangers to sign either player, actually, but I can still appreciate them for their value as players, independent of their contract.

Not sure what your problem with Gaborik is. Yeah, he's not a great player in many facets of the game, but if your issue is that the Rangers should have a "better," stronger all-around player filling their top goalscoring role, your issue should be with the management and their continued failure to draft or develop franchise offensive players. About the only reasonable complaint you can make otherwise is that the Rangers should have exercised patience and went for Kovalchuk instead, which is something that I could agree with. The fact is the Rangers were desperate to add a goalscorer. Not an easy hole to fill VIA trade or free agency. All things considered, they didn't so poorly. The guy they got may not do all that much, but he can still pot 40 goals a season. Heck, MOST "pure" goalscorers are overrated, somewhat one-dimensional players. Ovechkin, Stamkos, Carter, Nash, Kessel, Vanek, Eric Staal.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPuck View Post

Just not a producer in the playoffs? Maybe I'm expecting too much?
2007 with the Wild and last season with the Rangers were 6 and 5 games respectively- too small a sample size. Look what he did through 18 games in 2002- he was a PPG player pretty much.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:07 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
This is a stupid thread. He's been very good. Getting chances quite often. And, as previously mentioned, Ottawa has done a good job shutting him down. Just like we have shut down their top forwards.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:09 PM
DeadPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
A perennial 40 goal scorer is better than a third line defensive center and utilitarian special teams piece? I'm glad using your brain allows you to reach such advanced deductions.

I never wanted the Rangers to sign either player, actually, but I can still appreciate them for their value as players, independent of their contract.

Not sure what your problem with Gaborik is. Yeah, he's not a great player in many facets of the game, but if your issue is that the Rangers should have a "better," stronger all-around player filling their top goalscoring role, your issue should be with the management and their continued failure to draft or develop franchise offensive players. About the only reasonable complaint you can make otherwise is that the Rangers should have exercised patience and went for Kovalchuk instead, which is something that I could agree with. The fact is the Rangers were desperate to add a goalscorer. Not an easy hole to fill VIA trade or free agency. All things considered, they didn't so poorly. The guy they got may not do all that much, but he can still pot 40 goals a season. Heck, MOST "pure" goalscorers are overrated, somewhat one-dimensional players. Ovechkin, Stamkos, Carter, Nash, Kessel, Vanek, Eric Staal.
I was going to say you could add Bure to the "pure" goalscorers list, and then took a look at his stats and my head exploded.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Well, that was totally predictable.

Look, right now the Senators are doing a great job not giving Gaborik space. Good job on them. The great thing about this team is that, while Gaborik helps, they don't lean on him to win. Going back to the last two regular season games is meaningless too. Especially considering that he had just come off 2g 1a in the previous 2 games, plus a month where he was 3rd in the league in points, and also considering the fact that the entire team didn't really show up for either game.

Also, the guy has 1 goal and 2 posts in 3 games. I'm not all that worried about him.
Sure while teams key up on Gabby...Bryan MF'n Boyle rules the ice!!!

Old
04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPuck View Post
I was going to say you could add Bure to the "pure" goalscorers list, and then took a look at his stats and my head exploded.
Bure was a one-dimensional player, but he's arguably the greatest pure goalscorer of all-time. Certainly one of them, anyway, so I wouldn't say he's overrated. I'd take Bure over Ovechkin any day, for example. Much more dynamic and difficult to stop, even if he was fragile.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:15 PM
thewaitingisover

Quote:
Because fans judge success by being able to have one good moment every 2 games as opposed to having one good moment every 4 games. (stat sheet)

I, on the other hand, sit 2 feet from my TV and analyze every single action players make. If I see something good I make a mental + mark and if I see something bad I make a mental - mark. I then ask my brain to organize these pluses and minuses to form an opinion of a player. It's a system that has worked in all areas of my life. I call it "using my brain".

I think my system which involves thousands and thousands of "data points" is more effective than looking at a solitary number that has no context.
If that "solitary number" is his total points on the season...take away his 40+ goals, the only elite goal-scoring threat this team has, and see if we're still in 1st place.

On the other hand, I can't argue when you say he can't stickhandle or battle. He's never been strong on the puck, nor can he dangle. He's not Rick Nash, Pavel Datsyuk, Evgeni Malkin. He's not the same type of player. He doesn't have the size and strength, everyone has always known that. His assets are his shot and his speed.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:21 PM
nyr33

Quote:
When you see Gaborik not able to backhand a puck - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik physically unable to take a faceoff - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik act like a 40 year old during his goal celebrations - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik get pinned against the boards and he sticks to the boards like glue - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik unable to stick handle - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik on a partial breakaway and he gets deterred by the slightest of contact - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

When you see Gaborik on partial breakaways and after making his shot attempt he loops out towards 1st avenue before realizing where he is - It's because of poor kinetic makeup.

Thats my definition of poor kinetic makeup. The Marian Gaborik syndrome = poor kinetic makeup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpvXQIaHqBk

he cant backhand a puck? you've got to be kidding. and his goal celebrations? you care about that?

Old
04-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Good to know our "superstar" is a supplementary piece.
So how is your boy Dubinsky doing? Coming up big this far huh?

Old
04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
When you see Gaborik not able to backhand a puck - Dayenu!

When you see Gaborik physically unable to take a faceoff - Dayenu!

When you see Gaborik act like a 40 year old during his goal celebrations - Dayenu!

When you see Gaborik get pinned against the boards and he sticks to the boards like glue - Dayenu!

When you see Gaborik unable to stick handle - Dayenu!

When you see Gaborik on a partial breakaway and he gets deterred by the slightest of contact - Dayenu!

When you see Gaborik on partial breakaways and after making his shot attempt he loops out towards 1st avenue before realizing where he is - Dayenu!

Thats my definition of poor kinetic makeup. The Marian Gaborik syndrome = Dayenu!

04-18-2012, 12:34 PM
For Your Technology

Rule # 1, do not feed the trolls. If you listen to this, I will put a positive mental mark in my brain for you. If not, negative mental mark for you it is! Ok, I'll be back later, going to go watch my DVR of Game 3 with my face pressed against my flat screen to watch.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:

Sitting that close to the TV is really bad for your eyes, perhaps that is why you are seeing so many kinetic issues.

Closed Thread