HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF | Game 4 | Nashville Predators @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM ET | FSD, SPSO, CBC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
  #751
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 25,392
vCash: 955
Where is that regular season Filppula? Really seems like he wants to be in those WCs.

Hudler is tanking for under 3 mil paycheck.

Z's been good but you can't beat 5 Nashville players.

Datsyuk's been ok. But that's not enough. I HOPE he's injured.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:47 AM
  #752
TheOtherOne
Registered User
 
TheOtherOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Datsyuk was awesome in the 1st period.

After that I completely forgot about him. And he never reminded me. Where did he go?

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:52 AM
  #753
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 9,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
I just find it stunning that Howard is the FIRST person people complain about when looking at that play.
His error was the largest, that's why. His job is to give himself a chance to make the save. He completely took himself out of the play so badly there was a 4X6. If he sticks closer to the crease, at least the defender has to make a shot... maybe he hits his pad? Maybe he shoots it wide? Pipe? We'll never know, because it was a layup.

But really it's like comparing if the Hindenburg or the Titanic was the biggest disaster. Take your pick.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:00 AM
  #754
RedMachine87
Registered User
 
RedMachine87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: A^2
Country: United States
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
That is unbelievable. Lidstrom has him. Why do Abdelkedar and specially White have to overcommit? Howard????
Yeah, not sure what any of those guys were doing. Lidstrom was the only guy in position on that play. The coaching staff is going to have a field day watching tape of that play with the team.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:11 AM
  #755
aar000n
Registered User
 
aar000n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,021
vCash: 500
I'm still in shock that we lost. This reminds me of the ducks series 42~17 and lose? They had 1 min of pressure all game.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:15 AM
  #756
RedMachine87
Registered User
 
RedMachine87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: A^2
Country: United States
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
I'm still in shock that we lost. This reminds me of the ducks series 42~17 and lose? They had 1 min of pressure all game.
At least somebody watched the game.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:32 AM
  #757
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 500
Sometimes you just play a better team. Nashville is clearly more cohesive and defensively sound than the Wings. Theyre an opportunistic team, they keep everything to the outside, have an all-world goaltender who literally steals games on the regular and when they do get an opportunity, they bury it.

None of that describes the Wings. The Wings are a skilled team that works in volume. They have chances every other shift but rarely finish them.

I am not going to bemoan the team or the refs or the opposition at this stage. Its far too late to start crying about what shoulda, coulda, woulda. I'll just watch on Friday hoping they extend the series and plan on a very busy offseason.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:43 AM
  #758
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 32,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Where is that regular season Filppula? Really seems like he wants to be in those WCs.

Hudler is tanking for under 3 mil paycheck.

Z's been good but you can't beat 5 Nashville players.

Datsyuk's been ok. But that's not enough. I HOPE he's injured.
Very strange. Usually he has the better playoff season and an underwhelming reg season.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:43 AM
  #759
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 9,551
vCash: 500
Ignoring the Fleury joke, that gif reminds me of that infamous pic years ago from the 2007 Michigan-Ohio State game where Henne was handing off the ball to Hart and in that moment like six Ohio State guys had overcome their blockers and were in the backfield.

Of course, that was Lloyd Carr's last regular season game as head coach..

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:45 AM
  #760
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 32,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
When I saw that second goal, I knew it was over.

What possesses 3 NHL level players and the goalie to all follow one guy with the puck and leave 2 guys open in front of the net, like they were all back in squirt?

I've never seen that before in the NHL. Ever.

Now you're just being dramatic. Seen it lots of times, difference being that it's typically not the Wings. Ericsson, Lilja, Kronwall.... yeah, they used to do that quite frequently.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:48 AM
  #761
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Very strange. Usually he has the better playoff-season and an underwhelming reg season.
At the beginning of the season, I was convinced Flip was a 3rd line center who didnt belong in the Top6.

He proved me wrong all year.

He has reverted to once again being an optimal 3rd line center. Its high time to stop pretending he is more effective in the Top6.

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
? - Zetterberg - Hudler
Cleary - Flip - Bert
Miller - Gator - Homer

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
  #762
Heaton
Moderator
#hope
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,721
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
At the beginning of the season, I was convinced Flip was a 3rd line center who didnt belong in the Top6.

He proved me wrong all year.

He has reverted to once again being an optimal 3rd line center. Its high time to stop pretending he is more effective in the Top6.

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
? - Zetterberg - Hudler
Cleary - Flip - Bert
Miller - Gator - Homer
Filppula has always been more effective in the top 6. No one is scoring this post season, it's not exclusive to Filppula.

Has Hudler done anything to convince us that he's a top 6 forward based on this post season?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
  #763
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh
 
Brick Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
The goalie focused on the guy with the puck, as he should. His shooting lane was not blocked, so if Howard did not have position on him, a surprise shot could have made it through.

I'm not absolving Howard of blame. He did overcommit. I just find it stunning that Howard is the FIRST person people complain about when looking at that play. When THREE guys dry hump the puck handler leaving a HUGE opening in front of the net, the goalie is the least of your problems in my opinion. Even if Jimmy DID play it perfectly and give himself time to get back in position, the pass STILL would have been received uncontested in a perfect scoring area, and a well placed shot could have made it past him.

Also, was Abby the third guy? I thought it was Hudler.
Sure, Howard looked as far out of position as Vokoun did years ago when Pavel toe-dragged the puck on a breakaway/penalty shot and Vokoun almost slid into the corner over-committing, but it's not all on him. I thought the same thing- how do 3 guys pursue the puck carrier, leaving the middle wide open? Pretty sure the F in question was Hudler also- clearly, at least one of the D and/or Hudler should have covered the middle of the slot, instead of looking like a pee wee team where everybody pursues the puck in a group.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:51 AM
  #764
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 9,623
vCash: 500
Flip's overachieving and the 23 game streak doomed the wings. They allowed holland to believe his garbage. Flip has been absolutely dreadful.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
  #765
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Filppula has always been more effective in the top 6. No one is scoring this post season, it's not exclusive to Filppula.
Always? Like, his whole pro career? I always thought and have always wanted him to be a 3rd line center which is where he started. And while Flip isnt alone in underperforming this series, that doesnt make him any less guilty of being a complete blackhole on the ice, both offensively and defensively.

He is more effective offensively in the Top6 and I am sure he enjoys playing the wing with Z as opposed to centering between Cleary and Bert (for instance), but that is not the most effective use for him, IMO, for the team.

He can be a Top6 player in the regular season, I mean Christ, he even had me fooled and it took until about January for me to admit he was working out there. But his personal success does not translate to team success as the Wings lack of quality centermen is glaring.

Nashville's bottom six is working the Wings over in this series. They dont need more finesse skating alongside Z, whipping around the perimeter looking to pass being deathly afraid to ever shoot, they need a north-south guy to go to the damn net. Hudler, God love em, has the battle mentality to go to the front of the net but he doesnt have the size to create space in those areas. Nor does Flip.

Quote:
Has Hudler done anything to convince us that he's a top 6 forward based on this post season?
Nope. Absolutely agreed. Hudler is officially expendable for cap reasons alone. We could sign a guy like Boyes who fits a need far better than Huds even if he doesnt score half as much for less money.

I wish Huds "Happy Trails!"


Last edited by DarkReign: 04-18-2012 at 11:05 AM.
DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
  #766
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 500
Ultimately, for next year, I would like to see a Top6 winger signed (Semin or Parise) and put Flip back as the 3rd line center.

Helm can become the Super6 player I think he can be. He has no finish in his hands, I know that, but the guy creates turnovers, time and space with his speed. You could put Helm with any line and he wouldnt look out of place. A momentum changer that plays slightly less than 17 minutes a night all over the lineup.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
  #767
wingnutjeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
What possesses 3 NHL level players and the goalie to all follow one guy with the puck and leave 2 guys open in front of the net, like they were all back in squirt?

I've never seen that before in the NHL. Ever.
I blame it on Babcock. I heard that he was trying to motivate the Wings by showing them films of the blue angels. Little did he know that they would stay in perfect formation and not break off.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:15 AM
  #768
Sameheda
Registered User
 
Sameheda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
This is basically the entire series.


Sameheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:24 AM
  #769
Z40
High Compete Level
 
Z40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameheda View Post
This is basically the entire series.

-----> ----->

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:31 AM
  #770
wingnutjeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameheda View Post
This is basically the entire series.

Something ain't right with that image. Where is the score? Where is the clock. And when last night did we get all five guys back ahead of three of theirs.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:44 AM
  #771
Heaton
Moderator
#hope
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,721
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Always? Like, his whole pro career? I always thought and have always wanted him to be a 3rd line center which is where he started. And while Flip isnt alone in underperforming this series, that doesnt make him any less guilty of being a complete blackhole on the ice, both offensively and defensively.

He is more effective offensively in the Top6 and I am sure he enjoys playing the wing with Z as opposed to centering between Cleary and Bert (for instance), but that is not the most effective use for him, IMO, for the team.

He can be a Top6 player in the regular season, I mean Christ, he even had me fooled and it took until about January for me to admit he was working out there. But his personal success does not translate to team success as the Wings lack of quality centermen is glaring.

Nashville's bottom six is working the Wings over in this series. They dont need more finesse skating alongside Z, whipping around the perimeter looking to pass being deathly afraid to ever shoot, they need a north-south guy to go to the damn net. Hudler, God love em, has the battle mentality to go to the front of the net but he doesnt have the size to create space in those areas. Nor does Flip.



Nope. Absolutely agreed. Hudler is officially expendable for cap reasons alone. We could sign a guy like Boyes who fits a need far better than Huds even if he doesnt score half as much for less money.

I wish Huds "Happy Trails!"
Just keep in mind that if you want Filppula to be the 3rd line center you're basically saying you'd be happy with him scoring 50pts rather than 70.

Filppula was the 2nd line center for the cup run and the cup defense run and performed quite well. Filppula has always performed in the playoffs but this year we're playing against one of the best defensive teams I've seen. No excuse, these guys are paid to put the puck in the net.

I think Filppula's worth is a top 6 winger. He's been fine as a 3rd line center but he'll be always categorized as an under performer in that position.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:17 PM
  #772
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Just got some popcorn, now I shall enjoy reading this GDT from the start

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:18 PM
  #773
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Just keep in mind that if you want Filppula to be the 3rd line center you're basically saying you'd be happy with him scoring 50pts rather than 70.

Filppula was the 2nd line center for the cup run and the cup defense run and performed quite well. Filppula has always performed in the playoffs but this year we're playing against one of the best defensive teams I've seen. No excuse, these guys are paid to put the puck in the net.

I think Filppula's worth is a top 6 winger. He's been fine as a 3rd line center but he'll be always categorized as an under performer in that position.
Its just my preference to see Flip as the 3rd line center under the assumption that Pav and Hank will not be reunited on the top line for anything but a PP.

One legit scoring winger allows the possibility, the utility of having that as an option. As of now, you cant put Flip as the 3C because there is no one on the roster who can do what he does in the top 6.

Chicken; egg. Neither here or there, really. This is more offseason discussion which I will stop doing immediately in threads that arent centered around such things.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:27 PM
  #774
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 9,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
can Babcock really be blamed for being hesitant to split up Filppula and Zetterberg though?

Filppula's struggling now no question about that,but they had some seriously good chemistry all season long
Franzen and Filppula worked well early this season. Why not give a shot to Datsyuk and Z together?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
He blew it so bad. Why would he need to be that far out of the net to cover a shot from the corner? The guy was scrambling, anyway, so it's not like he was going to get off a beautiful wrister. Yet there goes Howard, following him to the corner with the whole team like there was any danger at all.

Total brainfart. Sure, the Wings D blew it, but holy hell Howard completely lost his mind on that play. His pad actually hits the NO PLAY ZONE at the tail end. Unreal how far he went out of the net.
That goal is what happened with the Wings more or less all series long, they overcommint, they leave the front of the goal free. That someting I can't understand. Specially cause the Preds 1st goal was exactly scored like that as Stuart left the front of the net. And then White comes flying like crazy. The Wings do not play as a team as a unit. That's Babcock's fault
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Sometimes redundancy is needed to really have the point sink in.



None of our usual contributors is doing much. You have to give some credit to Rinne and their defense. Seriously.

Also, their work is a bit easier because the bottom half of our roster is toothless.


Howard does enough to keep the team within striking distance. The scorers need to do something too. That said, I'm not all that surprised. The wheels were loose on this one since the last playoffs. Not much changed, other than everyone being a year older and one more year banged up.

Quincey, btw, had a very good game. Surprised none of you anti-Q n00bs wants to admit it.
You can't say saomething like that. Howard has not been terrilbe, but to say that he is good is just unreal.
To his defence though, the Wings give up very good scoring chances. So the Wings as a team do not play good defence, but Howard is by no means playing well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
When I saw that second goal, I knew it was over.

What possesses 3 NHL level players and the goalie to all follow one guy with the puck and leave 2 guys open in front of the net, like they were all back in squirt?

I've never seen that before in the NHL. Ever.
It's unbelievable how they overcommited there, but they have done that all series long. I do not know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
The goalie focused on the guy with the puck, as he should. His shooting lane was not blocked, so if Howard did not have position on him, a surprise shot could have made it through.

I'm not absolving Howard of blame. He did overcommit. I just find it stunning that Howard is the FIRST person people complain about when looking at that play. When THREE guys dry hump the puck handler leaving a HUGE opening in front of the net, the goalie is the least of your problems in my opinion. Even if Jimmy DID play it perfectly and give himself time to get back in position, the pass STILL would have been received uncontested in a perfect scoring area, and a well placed shot could have made it past him.

Also, was Abby the third guy? I thought it was Hudler.
It was Abby. Even if Howard did not overcommit, that would be hard to stop that shot anyway, cause the Pred was left all alone for an easy goal, But Howard has not been good in the series.
Yet team defence is atrocious ( to say it mildly)

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
  #775
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 9,623
vCash: 500
Players that need to go

Hudler (You arent built for top six duties in the playoffs)
Holmstrom (OLD AND SLOW)
Abdeklader. (Thanks for those two goals in 09 that meant nothing because the Wings lost the series anyway)
Stuart ( I dont want him gone, but i think his mind is made up)
Cleary (Nice to see him skate like an actual NHL player again, but meh he just isnt that useful anymore)

Bring in

Parise
OR
Suter
a physical 40ish point player who can be slotted into the top six to be spoon fed goals by either Datsyuk or Z
Real bottom six players who dont exist merely to say we have a 4th line.


Franzen needs to get a lobotomy. He needs to unlearn his lazy and uninspiring play. Anyone wanna take a bet on Franzen scoring 2-3 goals on Friday night and is never to be seen again?

RE DO the entire PP. It just aint working anymore.

The amount of dead weight on this team is staggering. I hate watching Datsyuk and Z just enter the zone and see the puck turned over the second they pass it to another player.


Last edited by WingedWheel1987: 04-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.
WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.