HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Jacob Trouba - US NTDP, USHL (2012, 9th overall, Winnipeg)

Old
04-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
EliteProspects and that link both have it wrong. He's from Rochester, Michigan.
Half say Minnesota, half say Michigan. I'm pretty sure you're right. The Hockey News has him as a Michigan native.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:00 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

he is from Michigan...nothing more to see here

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:41 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Am i the only one who sees a strong Bogosian-ness to Trouba? They seem like very similar players to me watching them, and considering their strengths/weaknesses and how they project as a pro.

I see Jack Johnson and Cam Fowler comparisons thrown around a lot and it makes zero sense to me. Trouba isn't really that sort of pure offensive guy, and there's a more physical dimension to his game. To me, he looks like more of a smooth puckmoving all-around guy with a lower offensive ceiling a la what Bogosian has started to turn into.

I think a lot of teams would love to add a player like this, but i have a suspicion that like Bogosian, Trouba is going to take a bit of time to really warm up to the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Trouba has some solid wheels, and he can shoot like a cannon and move the puck. I dont mind the Jack Johnson comparisons, I have seen a lot worse. To be honest I like the Bogosian comparison as Trouba is going to be more of a hard nosed/hard hitting defender then a puck rusher....but dont underestimate Trouba's offensive talents. I have watched the kid play probably 20 times over the past 3 plus years...the kid has skill.
Interesting comparison for sure. I would love to add a kid like that to our team.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:30 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Hopefully this puts the "where Trouba is from" debate to an end.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/compu...al-run-at-u18/

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Beakermania*

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/04/...-jacob-trouba/

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:00 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

After watching the Canada/US U-18 game today, I came away even more impressed with Trouba. Every time I see him play (which isn't a lot), he plays better than the last time I saw him. Rock solid at both ends of the ice. He and Seth Jones played a lot together and they were outstanding.

IMO, he should be no worse than the 2nd Dman taken, debatable first. Just reliable all over the ice. I know everyone thinks Nail Yakupov is a slam dunk for the Oilers to take with the 1st overall pick, but if they were to look at a Dman, I would look at Trouba, its exactly the type of defender they need.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:36 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 233
I've been pumping his tires on Twitter and things like that for months now.

I have seen all the WHL defenders alot, and to me Trouba is right there in that top 5 discussion or atleast close to it. If you have guys like Reinhart, Murray, Dumba and Rielly in the top 10 discussion, then Trouba is right there for me too.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Yzerman has been scouting him for some time and there are very good chances that Tampa drafts him at 10th overall if he's available

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:24 AM
puckfan13

Before the Oilers won the lottery, I was seriously pushing this guy in that third overall spot when we were battling with Montreal for second last.

Saw him play almost all his games at the World Juniors, and while the squad disappointed as a whole, my eyes couldn't help but be drawn to the kid in the visor every single game. Making smart, poised plays, taking his time with his head up and not panicking, picking spots to go for a hit or rough a guy up in the corner or when to bomb one on net or creep in backdoor. His level of awareness and IQ out there is unbelievable, he has a great sense and always knows where to be, his feet are always in the right place and he rarely gets caught making poor decisions. Of course there was mistakes here and there, most of the opponents were 2 years older than him. But today's performance just confirmed what I saw in the winter.

I don't know where Montreal's head is it exactly, is Grigorenko a sure thing at that spot assuming Columbus picks Murray? Because I could have him as high as 3 or 4. Timmins has picked Kristo and Tinordi recently from the USNTDP, and it's very clear he does not have anything against the college route. Last time the Habs had a top 5 selection, Timmins wasn't afraid to go with his gut and it paid off big time. This screams the kind of player he likes.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:31 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
Yzerman has been scouting him for some time and there are very good chances that Tampa drafts him at 10th overall if he's available
Don't think he's going to be available at that time. Very likely that one of Rielly or Reinhart will still be available at that time and they will definitely take either of those two that are available. Al Murray is from Saskatchewan where Rielly plays and played bantam/midget and their western scout Brad Whelen is out of Calgary I believe, he has seen Reinhart a ton. Tampa's pick will be one of those two guys, I would almost be willing to bet money on it.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Beesfan

I think he goes to either the New York Islanders or Toronto. The Isle's will choose between Dumba, Trouba and Rielly, and a strong argument could be made that they should take the big, defensive defenseman. As for Toronto, Brian Burke has already said that he is looking for more size, either on defense or offense. Trouba fits the bill.

Also, I don't like the comparisons to Bogosian or Jack Johnson really. What's great about Trouba is that he plays a very controlled game with few, if any holes. Much more comprable to a guy like Robin Regehr or perhaps Nik Kronwall.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
I think he goes to either the New York Islanders or Toronto. The Isle's will choose between Dumba, Trouba and Rielly, and a strong argument could be made that they should take the big, defensive defenseman. As for Toronto, Brian Burke has already said that he is looking for more size, either on defense or offense. Trouba fits the bill.

Also, I don't like the comparisons to Bogosian or Jack Johnson really. What's great about Trouba is that he plays a very controlled game with few, if any holes. Much more comprable to a guy like Robin Regehr or perhaps Nik Kronwall.

I like the Kronwall comparison a lot.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
TSN showed him at yesterday's Canada-USA game too.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

I've been wanting the Ducks to take him since I saw him at WJC. I think the kids going to be a stud.

I see a good comparison for Trouba is Luca Sbisa.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I don't like him. I saw him vs. the University of Denver. He was big but didn't do much. Had one big hit but besides that he was underwhelming.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I don't like him. I saw him vs. the University of Denver. He was big but didn't do much. Had one big hit but besides that he was underwhelming.
is his not a first year player? if so that would have alot to do with it

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
is his not a first year player? if so that would have alot to do with it
This is his second season with the USNTDP juniors. This was a pre-season exhibition game.

DU won 4-0 but the NTPD played well. Seth Jones was more than head and shoulders above Trouba in everything except body mass.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:33 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
only 1 game viewing and you made your opinion on a player ?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:36 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post

Everyone is entitled to their opinion .

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:38 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion .
well true that but personally it take more than 1 viewing on a player to have a real opinion on a player. Question did he saw him at the wjc ? best usa d-men with Tinordi and yesterday was rock solid vs Canada. Trouba is a stud imo.

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:46 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
I've been wanting the Ducks to take him since I saw him at WJC. I think the kids going to be a stud.

I see a good comparison for Trouba is Luca Sbisa.
He'll be better than Sbisa. I don't like pumping prospects more than they deserve but from everything I've seen of Trouba so far he isn't much farther from Sbisa when he finally earned a regular start.

The comparisons to Johnson and Fowler are pretty unfounded. In the offensive zone maybe, but Trouba is more responsible in his own zone. Even more so than Jones. Jones took a lot of risks. Though it only costed him a couple times he was still playing it risky. Trouba played it safe and smart. I loved the pairing but trouba's poise blew me away as much as Jones' execution.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
WILDTATE10

I've been going back and forth between Rielly and Trouba for who I want the Wild to take. Leaning more towards Rielly at this point in time

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
I've been going back and forth between Rielly and Trouba for who I want the Wild to take. Leaning more towards Rielly at this point in time
I would assume you need a shutdown guy more than a pure OFD. I mean you guys could use Rielly as well. Eh

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:04 PM
WILDTATE10

I'd be happy with either of them forsure. From what ive read Rielly could make the jump in another year and Trouba will need at least 2 years.

A top 4 of Brodin Reilly/Trouba and Scandella Gilbert doesn't look to bad

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
No no no I was fortunate to see one more USHL game and 2 Team USA games at the WJC18.

4 games isn't a ton but it's more than nothing.

I'm just critical of him I guess. His game is shallow.