HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Valrico Gold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The intent wasn't to equate the talents, Barbaro was something special as we all know. But the distance in victory brought my mind back to Durkin's call for that Derby Race. The Preakness was a kick in the tummy.

Mike Smith handled the post-race question perfectly about his preference for the Derby.

What did Gary Stevens say that Lukas told him? "We aren't married, I just rent you..." or something to that effect.

Speaking of a favorite call... "a compelling, outstanding performance by the plucky Afleet Alex..."

Durkin had his fastball this Belmont.
Afleet Alex was a really good horse as exhibited by this powerful run that day.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Sounds like Bodemeister is the would-be favorite for the Derby after Hansen and Union Rags came up short in their last starts. Might be wide open though.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Valrico Gold

Derby Doings

Dullahan gets a surprisingly high number for his Blue Grass.
Bodemeister gets a not surprisingly high Arkansas Derby number.

Derby Probables.

1. Hansen, $1,550,000

2. Daddy Long Legs, $1,294,030

3. Union Rags, $1,170,000

4. Dullahan, $855,000

5. Creative Cause, $836,000

6. Gemologist, $703,855

7. Sabrecat, $701,429

8. Take Charge Indy, $698,400

9. Secret Circle, $670,000

10. Bodemeister, $660,000

11. Daddy Nose Best , $545,448

12. Alpha, $380,000

13. Prospective, $367,357

14. Done Talking, $311,000

15. Went The Day Well, $282,000

Non-Committed

Wrote $756,630,
Hero of Order $617,375
Liaison $393,000
I’ll Have Another, $601,000

Bubble Horses

Reveron
Rousing Sermon
Mark Valeski
El Padrino

Old
04-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Valrico Gold

Reveron & Secret Circle are out.
Both are useful 3yr olds who'll be heard from later on.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...rby-contention

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...e-out-of-derby

Last edited by Valrico Gold: 04-21-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 09:57 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Johnny V. made the Hall of Fame; however, Borel and Gomez did not.:

http://www.drf.com/news/hall-fame-gh...er-are-elected

Quote:
Jockey John Velazquez, trainers Roger Attfield and Bob Wheeler, and Ghostzapper, the 2004 Horse of the Year, were announced on Monday as the induction class for 2012 by the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame.
Quote:
Velazquez, 40, is a two-time Eclipse Award winner who achieved his greatest victory in last year’s Kentucky Derby aboard Animal Kingdom. He also won the 2007 Belmont Stakes aboard the filly Rags to Riches. Velazquez has won more than 4,800 races.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:17 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

What a dull climax to this call (1987 Belmont) considering a possible Triple Crown win and the length of victory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdHsJBzNDMY

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-23-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old
04-23-2012, 07:54 PM
The Messenger

My early observations. A lot of speed in this years Derby. Should set up a Calvary charge finish, if track is fast. Now just gotta pick the late runners. Will be back with some ideas.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Valrico Gold

Dominguez On The Fence?

Hard to believe Ramon has not yet committed.

Quote:
Alpha Kiaran McLaughlin

Bernardini—Munnaya, by Nijinsky

As I said last week, he was my main overlay bet, and I was starting to get a good feeling about him. But his schedule has been altered a bit too much because of an infection to his leg to feel as confident as I did before. He was scheduled to van to Kentucky the Monday after the Wood and have two works at Churchill Downs – loved it. But because of the infection, he now will have only one work at Belmont and fly to Kentucky on Monday of Derby week. That is a major change in plans, with the bottom line being he’s going to have only one work in four weeks, and it’s not going to be at Churchill. Remember that stat I mentioned above. On top of that, McLaughlin was quoted as saying “He’s not out of the woods yet.” And at this time he still doesn’t have a jockey. Ramon Dominguez, who is winless since returning from injury, no doubt is waiting to see what happens with Alpha before committing to him or Hansen. Dr. Hansen believes he’s going to stick with his horse. Alpha supposedly is doing fine and is looking forward to getting back to serious training. If this colt can pull off the Derby, he most certainly will have earned it, with all the uncertainties, setbacks, and changes in plans over the past few months. I still think he can be a major factor if things start going right for him.
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentu...well-farm.aspx

Old
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
My early observations. A lot of speed in this years Derby. Should set up a Calvary charge finish, if track is fast. Now just gotta pick the late runners. Will be back with some ideas.
It certainly does appear that way. Although you never know how these things play out.
It's a great Derby. Let's hope for that fast track.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
What a dull climax to this call (1987 Belmont) considering a possible Triple Crown win and the length of victory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdHsJBzNDMY
That race shows how different the Belmont is from other races.
No pace killed Alysheba. Whereas Bet Twice had that prompting style, made one quick move, and it was over.

Marshall (Cassidy) did not have his fastball that day.
I love Marshall, and met him one evening in a Hempstead movie theater.
Try this call on for size with two Mr. Prospector offspring Forty Niner and Seeking The Gold in the 1988 Travers at Saratoga.

[/QUOTE]

Old
04-24-2012, 06:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/nat...age-fire.aspx#

Eddie Razo Jr. dies in a garage fire.

Oh, and Harve de Grace is retired apparently.

http://www.followhorseracing.com/en/...-ankle-injury/

God damn it.

Last edited by GKJ: 04-24-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Valrico Gold

Dominguez decides to ride Hansen.

Quote:
Jockey Ramon Dominguez will stick with Hansen in the May 5 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), his agent has said.

Steve Rushing told Daily Racing Form April 23 the “deciding factor” was Hansen’s victory at Churchill Downs in the 2011 Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I). Dominguez also has ridden Alpha regularly this year
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ansen-in-derby

Old
04-25-2012, 09:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
That race shows how different the Belmont is from other races.
No pace killed Alysheba. Whereas Bet Twice had that prompting style, made one quick move, and it was over.

Marshall (Cassidy) did not have his fastball that day.
I love Marshall, and met him one evening in a Hempstead movie theater.
Try this call on for size with two Mr. Prospector offspring Forty Niner and Seeking The Gold in the 1988 Travers at Saratoga.
See, now that is fantastic. Good story from you, too.

Who gets the nod as the better horse: Alysheba or Bet Twice? That's a close one, Alysheba based on winnings I guess.

I remember Brian's Time, barely, he won the Florida Derby. Seeking the Gold struggled in the Kentucky Derby, I thought Forty Niner would catch the fillie in that race.

Old
04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
See, now that is fantastic. Good story from you, too.

Who gets the nod as the better horse: Alysheba or Bet Twice? That's a close one, Alysheba based on winnings I guess.

I remember Brian's Time, barely, he won the Florida Derby. Seeking the Gold struggled in the Kentucky Derby, I thought Forty Niner would catch the fillie in that race.
Bet Twice was a good horse. Out of the Nijinsky line, so he had classic distances in him.
He had a short career (6 years) at stud, and to my knowledge didn't produce any champions. He died young at 15.

Alysheba off course was the Derby and Preakness winner. He also won 6 Gr1 races as a 4yr old, along with two Eclipse awards.
Obviously, he was out of the Alydar line.
He spent most of his stud career in Saudi Arabia.

Brians Time was a good horse, trained by John Veitch I believe (Alydar's trainer).
He was mostly ridden by Cordero. He had a bad habit of not changing leads a critical times.

Both Seeking The Gold and Forty Niner were excellent 'milers', being out of Mr. Prospector.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
Bet Twice was a good horse. Out of the Nijinsky line, so he had classic distances in him.
He had a short career (6 years) at stud, and to my knowledge didn't produce any champions. He died young at 15.

Alysheba off course was the Derby and Preakness winner. He also won 6 Gr1 races as a 4yr old, along with two Eclipse awards.
Obviously, he was out of the Alydar line.
He spent most of his stud career in Saudi Arabia.

Brians Time was a good horse, trained by John Veitch I believe (Alydar's trainer).
He was mostly ridden by Cordero. He had a bad habit of not changing leads a critical times.

Both Seeking The Gold and Forty Niner were excellent 'milers', being out of Mr. Prospector.
Pete Rose was part owner of Bet Twice. There's likely a humdrum joke somewhere in there.

Old
04-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Valrico Gold

It's getting down to crunch time for this 2012 Derby.
This is an exciting group, which appears to be the deepest group of 3yr olds in recent memory.

I have loved Union Rags races, running style, physique, and connections from the get go.
In the back of my mind though, has always been his breeding. He's a Dixie Union, who's a Dixieland Band. I've never considered classic distances his best game. Added to that is his Dam is a daughter of Gone West, who's out of Mr. Prospector.
Sorry for getting into the deep weeds, but none of this gives a bettor confidence that he has the required Derby breeding.
At the expected price, I may have to pass.

My other darling has been Hansen.
He has that scary freakish speed that he can carry.
The problem again is his sire Tapit is a Pulpit, who even though is an AP Indy, his best game was at shorter distances.
He is strong on the Dam side.
It's real hard to see how he'll somehow get away from Gemologist and Budemeister.

So logically, this places me onto my last fav of the spring, and that has been Creative Cause. No classic distance problems here

But there are still, many other very talented animals in this group.
I'll need to evaluate them with much closer analysis.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Lookin at Lucky comes to mind.

Comments may be of interest in this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horse...ite/54633764/1

Quote:
Churchill Downs oddsmaker Mike Battaglia will wait until post positions are drawn Wednesday to decide whether he will establish Bodemeister or Union Rags as the early favorite for the 138th Kentucky Derby.

"If Bodemeister has a bad draw, then it's got to be Union Rags," Battaglia told USA TODAY Sports. "And if Union Rags has a bad draw, it would be the other way around." He noted that the rail would be an extremely difficult position to overcome with a full 20-horse field anticipated.

According to Battaglia, the early odds on either horse will not be lower than 4-1, yet another indication of how closely matched the top contenders are. That is music to the ears of serious handicappers who will wager equally serious money.

"You are not going to get a short price on anything," Battaglia said.

Backers of Bodemeister and Union Rags have reason to pause. Bodemeister will try to overcome an enormous amount of history. No Derby victor was unraced at 2 since Apollo in 1882. The only horses in recent years to come close to outrunning their inexperience were Strodes Creek (second, 1994) and Curlin (third, 2007).

"It will come into play," Battaglia said of the history that seemingly works against Bodemeister, who is trained by Hall of Famer Bob Baffert. "Everybody knows that statistic. He is so lightly raced, and they've asked him to do a lot in a short period of time."

Old
04-30-2012, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Isn't that what they're supposed to do?

Old
04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Valrico Gold

Haskin makes my choice more difficult.

Quote:
The standout so far has been Union Rags, who is the most imposing physical presence we’ve seen, and who turned in a sharp work on Saturday, going a half in :47 1/5
Yikes!!!!

Quote:
The son of Dixie Union is muscle on muscle and does everything with class. You could really get a good look at him this morning as he was getting his bath, and there is no one that could argue this colt is all racehorse.
But he did add this.

Quote:
But the depth of this field makes it awfully close. The horse we’ve had ranked No. 1 starting from day one is Creative Cause and we haven’t seen anything to cause us to consider dropping him. This is a good-looking high energy horse, who has a good deal of spirit and generates a lot of power.
Very good read as always.
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse...ervations.aspx

Old
04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

NBC Sports is scheduled to show select Derby races of the past. I hope they expand on the obvious choices. Would like to see some comments about forgotten winners such as Spend a Buck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dynaformer passed. Barbaro's daddy.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=19947

Quote:
One of Thoroughbred racing's premier stallions, Dynaformer, died at the age of 27 at Robert and Blythe Clay's Three Chimneys Farm, in Versailles, Ky., on April 29.

The stallion, known internationally for siring such top class athletes as Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Barbaro, Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) winner Americain, and $4.7 million dollar-earner Perfect Drift, had been pensioned after suffering an aortic valve rupture the afternoon of April 14 while in his stall.

An ultrasound performed the following day revealed several holes in Dynaformer's heart as a result of the cardiac event, one measuring eight centimeters long and two others measuring two centimeters each.

Dynaformer had been resting comfortably, eating well, and maintaining his daily turnout routine in the days following the scare, but his health took a turn the evening of April 28.

"Dynaformer told us when it was his time to go," said Jim Morehead, DVM, Three Chimneys' resident veterinarian. "Amazingly, he had been comfortable after his initial crisis on April 14 and had been able to go to his paddock daily. A normal horse would not have survived his initial cardiac episode. He did everything on his terms, including deciding when he'd had enough."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-02-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old
05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Mark Valeski out of the Derby. Had almost no shot anyways.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:44 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Super Saver also had Borel on board and track conditions played a role:

Quote:
Like nearly every other trainer in the Derby, Pletcher said the entry of the speed-crazy sprinter Trinniberg would affect the race.

“It’s going to ensure a fast pace and change the dynamics of the race quite a bit,” he said. “I don’t think it will affect Gemologist, because he is tractable and a stalker, but it could benefit El Padrino, who has been running in races that didn’t have the pace he is likely to get in the Derby.”

Pletcher has trained Gemologist with a regimen almost identical to Super Saver’s winning effort. Both horses won the Grade 2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill as 2-year-olds, both wintered in Florida, both had two races as 3-year-olds and both stayed in Florida almost right up to the Derby.

If Gemologist has remained below the radar, El Padrino has faded from view. He ran a close third in the Remsen last year, then launched his 3-year-old campaign with a runaway victory in a high optional claimer at Gulfstream, capping it with a nice win in the Risen Star at the Fair Grounds as the 4-5 favorite.

He then went into the Florida Derby as the 5-2 second choice behind the 2-5 Union Rags — and ran a clunker. He ended up fourth, beaten three lengths. No one has liked him since. In his last workout for the Derby over a muddy strip at Palm Meadows, he ran four furlongs in 53.1 seconds. Your grandmother can run faster than that.

“It was a little slow,” Pletcher said, in an understatement. “I would have preferred him to go a couple of seconds faster. But remember, this year he has run two races at a mile and a sixteenth and one race at a mile and an eighth, so he has three two-turn races under his belt, in addition to some strong works.”
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse...#ixzz1tjAeZbeD

Old
05-02-2012, 05:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Val, looks like one of your picks got my favorite post -- Barbaro, Unbridled and Go For Gin all won from #8.

The Hansen connections must have been sweating bullets down to the wire -- 2nd to last placement with #1 still on the board.

Two of my top picks were placed immediately: Take Charge Indy (#3) and I'll Have Another (#19). I can't imagine O'Neill will be too happy with that spot. No one has ever won from #19 (or #17).

Gemologist is the first horse in the auxiliary gate at #15.

From quick research, only Sea Hero in 1993 has won from the #6 since 1970 -- if you put stock in that, Bodemeister now has two historic factors working against him inaddition to the intriguing fact that he hasn't run as a two-year old. And Union Rags at #4, from what I see only Super Saver has won from there since Seattle Slew in 1977.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-02-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Go For Gin
Old
05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Val, looks like one of your picks got my favorite post -- Barbaro, Unbridled and Go For Gin all won from #8.

The Hansen connections must have been sweating bullets down to the wire -- 2nd to last placement with #1 still on the board.

Two of my top picks were placed immediately: Take Charge Indy (#3) and I'll Have Another (#19). I can't imagine O'Neill will be too happy with that spot. No one has ever won from #19 (or #17).

Gemologist is the first horse in the auxiliary gate at #15.

From quick research, only Sea Hero in 1993 has won from the #6 since 1970 -- if you put stock in that, Bodemeister now has two historic factors working against him inaddition to the intriguing fact that he hasn't run as a two-year old. And Union Rags at #4, from what I see only Super Saver has won from there since Seattle Slew in 1977.
Yeah, all systems go for Creative Cause. He'll sit in the 2nd tier.

Based on the run into the 1st turn, it looks like Take Charge Indy will have to go behind Trinniberg for position.
Bodemeister should be outside Take Charge Indy, with Hansen further out. Gemologist will be right behind them most probably.
This bodes well for Hansen I believe. The connections also are now confident.
Trainier Mike Maker.
Quote:
“Fourteen is perfect, we’re outside of all the other speed. I’m hoping we can sit right off them.”
Owner Dr. Hansen.
Quote:
“We’re going to win this race. We’re not worried about anyone.”
Union Rags and Dullahan's fate will be left up to their jockeys. They'll have many horses in front of them.

The very talented I'll Have Another will have to be used for position. Not impossible.

Daddy Nose Best, Alpha, and Prospective are in good spots.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ster-in-post-6

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-02-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old
05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Daddy Nose Best is in very good shape. However, I don't think Gomez has won a Triple Crown race.

A quote about Creative Cause...

Quote:
“He is afraid of crowds,” the trainer said. Seriously.

Now that will give horseplayers some pause because when they scramble out of the starting gate in the Derby, with 20 horses going helter-skelter, the track is going to be more crowded than a New York subway in the rush hour.

“He doesn’t like to be crowded,” Harrington added. “In deep stretch in the Santa Anita Derby, he was going head and head with two other horses and you could see he didn’t like it. The reason is that in the Del Mar Futurity, he got smashed around and annihilated, and I believe it has affected him ever since. He doesn’t like to be crowded.”
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse...#ixzz1toYnybku

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sports Illustrated does a nice job with photos of each horse and a brief summary...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-03-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Closed Thread