HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo To Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Huge pass, if Vancouver is moving him it's because he isn't good enough.
Or because he's a scapegoat. Goaltending is the least of that team's problems IMO.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:41 PM
sgupca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
Awful contract....awful idea.
This,

The only way it makes sense for us to take on LU is if we can send two of LACK back to vancity.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:42 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
Or because he's a scapegoat. Goaltending is the least of that team's problems IMO.
He's definitely getting a ton of flack for absolutely no reason.

As soon as they lose, the finger is directly at him even if he made a gazillion saves.

He did deserve some flack over the years there for sub-par performances when he was counted on for a bit more... but the team hasn't been there at all.

This reminds me of the treatment a lot of players get in Toronto.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:43 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
They are moving him because Schneider can take his place for less money. He is still a #1 goaltender and he's better than anything we have on the horizon.
Not interested in their lesser goalie on that term. Target Schneider or another goalie instead.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:44 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

He must've read the Trade Proposal board.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Dayjobdave

With Luongo, we would finally have the recipe to beat the Bruins...

Old
04-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Kinger316

Send a message via MSN to Kinger316
An interesting thought..

What if, when the new CBA is negociated, there's that one time buy out clause where each team can buy out one player without absorbing the cap hit over the course of several seasons or more? I heard this being discussed on radio shows ect. If that were the case and Luongo was bought out I'd be all for making a pitch to him as FA. This way you get the goaltender without a 10 year commitment. Thoughts?

Old
04-18-2012, 07:51 PM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not interested in their lesser goalie on that term. Target Schneider or another goalie instead.
Yeah lets get Schneider, Price, or Quick!!! Oh wait none of them will be available so lets just suck ass for another 7 years while other teams win the cup without any of those three.

****ing beggars in Toronto love being choosers.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:52 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinger316 View Post
An interesting thought..

What if, when the new CBA is negociated, there's that one time buy out clause where each team can buy out one player without absorbing the cap hit over the course of several seasons or more? I heard this being discussed on radio shows ect. If that were the case and Luongo was bought out I'd be all for making a pitch to him as FA. This way you get the goaltender without a 10 year commitment. Thoughts?
He'll probably get a contract as overpaid/long as it is now by another team.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Yeah lets get Schneider, Price, or Quick!!! Oh wait none of them will be available so lets just suck ass for another 7 years while other teams win the cup without any of those three.

****ing beggars in Toronto love being choosers.
You would rather handcuff the team with a 12 year contract instead of looking at other options?

Old
04-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Old
04-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Shak19

i would go for it
but won't happen because of the horrible contract

Old
04-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I think so many of you are blinded by wanting to MAKE the playoffs, that you're all forgetting the point:
WINNING the playoffs. WINNING a Stanley Cup. And frankly, I don't think any team ever wins it all with Luongo as their #1 goalie. I was a Luongo supporter until last year, when his mental weakness and tendency to choke in any high pressure situation became way too obvious.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
LC

Quote:
You would rather handcuff the team with a 12 year contract instead of looking at other options?
He'll retire at age 40, thats the whole point of the cap circumvention contract.

We'll get a #1 goaltender for most of his time here and only $5.3 million. We pay almost 3 times as much as that for pure garbage every year.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
RogerRoeper*

Burke will never touch that contract.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I think so many of you are blinded by wanting to MAKE the playoffs, that you're all forgetting the point:
WINNING the playoffs. WINNING a Stanley Cup. And frankly, I don't think any team ever wins it all with Luongo as their #1 goalie. I was a Luongo supporter until last year, when his mental weakness and tendency to choke in any high pressure situation became way too obvious.
He got within 1 game of it, we won't have a chance at a goaltender in the next 5 years who could get us anywhere near that.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Erdinger

Quote:

We'll get a #1 goaltender for most of his time here and only $5.3 million. We pay almost 3 times as much as that for pure garbage every year.
Very true. It would be nice if we could send some of that garbage Vancouver's way.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:04 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Gotta send some of LACK back and maybe a pick/prospect combo and I'd be all over this. Rarely ever do top 5 goaltenders become available.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:04 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
He got within 1 game of it, we won't have a chance at a goaltender in the next 5 years who could get us anywhere near that.
How can you possibly know this?

Old
04-18-2012, 08:05 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
At that age, on that contract, for significant assets?

What was our problem pre-lockout again?
Experienced #1 goalies was not the problem pre-lockout. The problem right now is that we still haven't found anyone to replace Belfour.

I'd have no problem looking into it. Need a good goalie and he certainly fits that description. Don't see anyone better being available to us anytime soon.

Last edited by FlareKnight: 04-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 08:06 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

His composure is the only thing that has me worried. Not sure if it's the media or the pressure of the games but sometimes it seems like too much for him.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:08 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Experienced #1 goalies was never our problem pre-lockout. The problem right now is that we still haven't found anyone to replace Belfour.

I'd have no problem looking into it. Need a good goalie and he certainly fits that description. Don't see anyone better being available to us anytime soon.
I was referring to trading young assets for older players.

What's wrong with going the FA route, and you know, waiting for our goalies to develop?

Old
04-18-2012, 08:08 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
He'll retire at age 40, thats the whole point of the cap circumvention contract.

Those contracts are what Burke is against, can't see him burning his assets to acquire one.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:09 PM
LC

Quote:
How can you possibly know this?
History, look at every year of ours since the lockout. We can't even get a goaltender that can get us to the playoffs. Its a fantasy that we're going to get a Price, or a Quick, or a Schneider. You guys just want the absolute perfect team ever made.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Leafs can't afford Luongo's hi salary cap hit!
If they add Louie's salary, they won't be able to afford Rick Nash.
They can only add one of them! I'm much more confident in Reimer and Scrivens behind Carlyle's Defensive system and with Nash contributing 35-40 goals!
Besides, Luongo has a no-trade clause and only would accept moving to Florida or Tampa.
It doesn't even matter if Reimer/Scrivens is the best option. Burke simply can't go into this season without a definitive answer in goal. He tried that this year and it failed miserably. If he does it again and gets the same results, it could be curtains for him in Toronto. I can' t imagine he has the cojones to pin his job on two unproven goalies in what is going to be a crucial year for him.

That being said, the whole Luongo conversation reminds me a lot of a similar discussion a couple years back about Marc Savard. On the surface it looks like a golden opportunity to get exactly what we're lacking (#1 goalie / #1 centre), possibly even for pennies on the dollar. But just like with Savard, making the case for Luongo seems like a lot of rationalizing. The risks of that contract simply aren't worth it for a team in Toronto's position. If Luongo flames out--and it's entirely possible that he would--that contract could cripple us. I don't like the idea.

Closed Thread