HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo To Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Erdinger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
His composure is the only thing that has me worried. Not sure if it's the media or the pressure of the games but sometimes it seems like too much for him.
He certainly scared me in the Olympics

Old
04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
I was referring to trading young assets for older players.

What's wrong with going the FA route, and you know, waiting for our goalies to develop?
VAN will be DESPERATE to unload that contract. We won't need to cough up much, because the list of suitors willing to take that contract will be small...

Old
04-18-2012, 09:11 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
VAN will be DESPERATE to unload that contract. We won't need to cough up much, because the list of suitors willing to take that contract will be small...
He'd be even worse behind our defense IMO.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Old
MoeMoney

Quote:
At that age, on that contract, for significant assets?

What was our problem pre-lockout again?
Don't talk about age because the reigning Conne Smyth and Vezna winner is 38 years old, age with goalies is not as important as you think. Kiprisoff is 37. You get a guy like Luongo while drafting someone like Subban and ride Luongo until Subban is ready to take the helm, Luongo has a lot of good years left in him and he will take the Leafs to the playoffs, he's a very very solid netminder, top 10 in the NHL.

Don't talk about contracts when you're paying ridiculous amounts of dollars for crap like Komisarek, Finger, Armstrong, MacArthur, Connolly, Lombardi, etc.

People here are funny, you don't want a bonifide number 1 netminder that will increase the chances to make playoffs, make the team infintely more competive, give them a chance to win on almost every night because of a contract? Last time I checked the Leafs were not a stingy team and can take a cap hit or two especially on such a quality player.

This is a dream in my eyes, if it happens I'll be so happy.

Old
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
He got within 1 game of it, we won't have a chance at a goaltender in the next 5 years who could get us anywhere near that.
No, the Canucks got within one game of it IN SPITE of Luongo. On paper, they were the much better team, Luongo is the reason Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup. Once a team gets in his head, he just breaks down.

See 2011 playoffs against Chicago: Up 3-0 in the series, then proceeds to get pulled in the next 3 games. And I don't think I need to remind anyone of the Cup Final, but I will: Up 2-0 in the series, only to allow 21 GA in the next 5 games, including an 8GA effort, and getting pulled twice.

Never seen a goalie perform as pathetically as Luongo in the playoffs.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Sergei Berezin

If we can get rid of some deadweight in terms of contracts, then I'm for it.

He's still an elite goalie, and I would love him here.

Didn't know he was 33, though. Contract runs until he's 45...

Maybe the out clause for 1 contract in the new CBA could be held onto until we didn't want him anymore? Either way; that's a great cap hit to take on, and we could bury him in the minors if we really didn't like him.

DO IT!. Having a Reimer - Luongo duo would be great.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
He'd be even worse behind our defense IMO.

Just my thoughts anyway.
Thats the gamble...

Old
04-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
History, look at every year of ours since the lockout. We can't even get a goaltender that can get us to the playoffs. Its a fantasy that we're going to get a Price, or a Quick, or a Schneider. You guys just want the absolute perfect team ever made.
This, seriously.

Who would you guys like Burke to go after? Pekka Rinne?

The reason we've been without a #1 goalie for so long (and a #1 center for that matter) is because players of that calibre are rarely ever available. This is an especially rare case because not only is Lu (allegedly) available, but for a relatively low price as well. Contract be damned, you'd be insane not to leap at this opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
No, the Canucks got within one game of it IN SPITE of Luongo. On paper, they were the much better team, Luongo is the reason Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup.
Luongo couldn't have won them that seventh game even with a shutout.

I'd be interested to hear some of your alternatives to working out a trade for Luongo. Sign Josh Harding and hope he pans out, assuming he even wants to play here over another team? Sign a veteran backup and hope Reimer can carry the load? Blow a bunch of assets on a young, unproven goaltender like Bernier or Lindback and hope he pans out as a legitimate starter in Toronto?

We're pretty strapped for options here. Beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited by Kyle Doobas*: 04-18-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
No, the Canucks got within one game of it IN SPITE of Luongo. On paper, they were the much better team, Luongo is the reason Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup. Once a team gets in his head, he just breaks down.

See 2011 playoffs against Chicago: Up 3-0 in the series, then proceeds to get pulled in the next 3 games. And I don't think I need to remind anyone of the Cup Final, but I will: Up 2-0 in the series, only to allow 21 GA in the next 5 games, including an 8GA effort, and getting pulled twice.

His team score like 3 goals; the twins were brutal, and the defence collapsed with the more physical play. It wasn't Lou's fault. Neither is this LA series.

Either way; we haven't made the playoffs in 8 years. He may be the only available goalie who could get us there.

My only concern would be people having the Dion effect on Luongo. By this, I mean people believing the crap that idiotic fans say around the league say.

People say Dion sucks, and now half the board believes them simple because Dion is a guy who's easy to hate. The same thing will happen with Luongo if he comes here.

If he does end up here, I hope to god no one yells 'Lou' after every save.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:18 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
Don't talk about age because the reigning Conne Smyth and Vezna winner is 38 years old, age with goalies is not as important as you think. Kiprisoff is 37. You get a guy like Luongo while drafting someone like Subban and ride Luongo until Subban is ready to take the helm, Luongo has a lot of good years left in him and he will take the Leafs to the playoffs, he's a very very solid netminder, top 10 in the NHL.

Don't talk about contracts when you're paying ridiculous amounts of dollars for crap like Komisarek, Finger, Armstrong, MacArthur, Connolly, Lombardi, etc.

People here are funny, you don't want a bonifide number 1 netminder that will increase the chances to make playoffs, make the team infintely more competive, give them a chance to win on almost every night because of a contract? Last time I checked the Leafs were not a stingy team and can take a cap hit or two especially on such a quality player.

This is a dream in my eyes, if it happens I'll be so happy.
Yes, so why the hell would we ADD to bad contracts :facepalm!??!!?

I have an issue with his age because we are TRADING for him. We give up young assets for a guy who has got how many years left? Again, our problem pre-lockout and a bit post-lockout. You full those moves off when you're a STANLEYCUP contender looking for that missing piece, not a team who hasn't made the playoffs in 7 years .

I have no issue with age as you see I'd be the first to tell you to sign Vokoun or trade for Khabibulin.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Soul Vibe Funk

past his prime. Why would we want him? That absolutely ****ing terrible contract too? Stay the **** away. All of you are losing it.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
How can you possibly know this?
He doesn't. His lack of knowledge on the Luongo situation is really showing here.

1) He has a no trade clause.
2) We are taking on his contract for 8+ years.
3) The Canucks are clearly in a goaltending jam (i.e., their back-up goaltender is out-performing their starting goaltender with whom the team plays worse with, when in net)
4) The Canucks actually think he has value -- and won't just give him up for free.

Why we would not offer-sheet Schneider, who is the better goaltender, while screwing up the Canucks even more (8-9 million total on two goaltenders) and better yet, not have to give up a 1st round pick instead of trading for Luongo is really hurting my brain.

But yeah, if this organization wants to go the Montreal Canadian route a la Scott Gomez, then please, by all means continue to disappoint many fans.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Sergei Berezin

The most enticing thing about this whole situation would be how easy it'd be to turn the whole deal into a 'salary dump' type deal.

Something similar to the Lupul deal, except we send salary the other way instead of getting a 'Gardiner' in the deal.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:20 PM
LC

Quote:

Losing badly that deep in the playoffs is more than we could ask for right now. You can't sign good free agents when you are a bottom feeder, nothing will improve for us if we don't improve in goal. Luongo is plenty good enough for a deep run and worse goaltenders have won a cup. Look at Fleury, he is getting lit up like a christmas tree right now.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
This, seriously.

Who would you guys like Burke to go after? Pekka Rinne?

The reason we've been without a #1 goalie for so long (and a #1 center for that matter) is because players of that calibre are rarely ever available. This is an especially rare case because not only is Lu (allegedly) available, but for a relatively low price as well. Contract be damned, you'd be insane not to leap at this opportunity.

Luongo couldn't have won them that seventh game even with a shutout.

Exactly... I happen to think you need a number of these marquis players in the lineup if for no other reason, than to distribute the media stupidity more evenly.

If we get even a whiff at a franchise goalie of this magnitude, for what will be a favourable price, you have to jump on it.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Nazem To Kessel

meh luongo is meh too shaky tho i would target Cory but if we get to send Lombardi and Komi/Armstrong apart of the deal to Luongo and not give up Gardiner or 1st then id do it

Luongo is overvalued by Nucks fans

Old
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
He doesn't. His lack of knowledge on the Luongo situation is really showing here.

1) He has a no trade clause.
2) We are taking on his contract for 8+ years.
3) The Canucks are clearly in a goaltending jam (i.e., their back-up goaltender is out-performing their starting goaltender with whom the team plays worse with, when in net)
4) The Canucks actually think he has value -- and won't just give him up for free.

Why we would not offer-sheet Schneider, who is the better goaltender, while screwing up the Canucks even more (8-9 million total on two goaltenders) and better yet, not have to give up a 1st round pick instead of trading for Luongo is really hurting my brain.

But yeah, if this organization wants to go the Montreal Canadian route a la Scott Gomez, then please, by all means continue to disappoint many fans.
1) Already know he hast a NTC, you guys are dreaming of a young #1 goalie with no NTC. Plan to get him: Hope and pray.
2) He will retire at 40.
3 & 4) Thats the whole point, you get a #1 goaltender who would otherwise not be available because a team has a logjam.

And finally you tell us your plan to get a number 1 goaltender for almost nothing and at no risk. By hoping somehow we offer-sheet Schneider to around 3 million and the Canucks don't match it. Good plan genius!!

Old
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Erdinger

Would he take over the C?

Old
04-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
I am not opposed to the idea, but They will have to make the deal very sweet.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:30 PM
bobbyflex

Nonis will be all over this

Old
04-18-2012, 09:33 PM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Yes, so why the hell would we ADD to bad contracts :facepalm!??!!?

I have an issue with his age because we are TRADING for him. We give up young assets for a guy who has got how many years left? Again, our problem pre-lockout and a bit post-lockout. You full those moves off when you're a STANLEYCUP contender looking for that missing piece, not a team who hasn't made the playoffs in 7 years .

I have no issue with age as you see I'd be the first to tell you to sign Vokoun or trade for Khabibulin.
You're not adding to bad contracts, you obviously have to get rid of some of the deadweight in the meantime, my point was he's not a bad contract in comparision to what we've been paying for so many years, hes brings a lot to the table to justify taking on a contract such as this.

You said it yourself, the contract is lenghty and costly and you are not going to have to give up a kings ransom to aquire him.

His age is not an issue, and he is on another league than Vokoun and Khabibulin, he's not a stopgap one and done goalie. Like I said you aquire him and ride him until a prospect you're grooming is ready to take the helm and then you buy him out, MLSE if you havn't noticed has cash. See Boston model.

You pull what moves off when you're ready to win a cup??? Trade for a longterm solid top 10 NHL goalie, or sign an aging verteren who has almost nothing left in the tank like you're advocating us doing?

Facepalm indeed.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

I would like him to have on Leafs, but he is 33 already. And besides that contract doesn't help either.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:34 PM

I wouldn't take him for free. They can keep him. Here's hoping they get swept tonight.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Bills09

Connolly Franson McKegg 2nd for Lou

Old
04-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
At least one of LACK would have to be included along with Reimer and more, so I'd be ok, if the Price is Right.
It not a knock, its a fact. One, outside shot of two of LACK would have to go to
make room.

Closed Thread