HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the playoffs mean to Nashville this year…

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2006, 10:55 AM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
What the playoffs mean to Nashville this year…

Again, we are at a critical stage in our franchise as we play the last quarter of the season. The Predators have a great opportunity to entrench themselves in the Nashville market.

We took the first step last season by making the playoffs. Kudos to Poile and Lieopold for taking some chances (Sullivan) and being more willing to spend some cash (extensions for Vokoun, Kimmo). Making the playoffs was the only thing that allowed the Predators to survive the lockout.

Making the 2nd round of the playoffs would another HUGE step forward. The city of Nashville is desperate to have a sports team to get really excited about. The Titans have been in a downward spiral for quite some time, and reached rock bottom this season. UT Football was a disaster this year as well. And, in a way, the lockout made some casual Nashville sports fans forget about hockey.

A huge opportunity is waiting, and I think this is the single biggest reason that Poile and Leipold were willing to overpay to get Witt. If we make it to 2nd round, it’s going to create at huge buzz, and the Predators organization will reap the benefits of this buzz. Individual and Corporate season tickets will see a huge spike, especially the Corporate sales. It will be easier to attract UFAs to Nashville, which is going to be huge under the new CBA. And hockey in Nashville will take a big step towards success.

While that the ideal scenario, we also have to be realistic of the other options. If we lose in the 1st round of the playoffs, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I’d expect season ticket sales to rise slightly, but nothing of significance. All in all, it will probably be a disappointment, mainly because of the missed opportunity.

Realistically, there’s still a chance we don’t make the playoffs. We still have 19 games to go. The odds are on our side, but I’m not counting the chickens yet. This is obviously a worst case scenario. Everyone will be pissed. Season ticket sales will take a hit.

So, in summary, the playoffs this year have major implications for the viability of hockey in Nashville. And this is why I ultimately think we overpaid for Witt. I hope that he has impact that Poile and Leipold are, literally, banking on.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:27 AM
tulsytrid1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Again, we are at a critical stage in our franchise as we play the last quarter of the season. The Predators have a great opportunity to entrench themselves in the Nashville market.

We took the first step last season by making the playoffs. Kudos to Poile and Lieopold for taking some chances (Sullivan) and being more willing to spend some cash (extensions for Vokoun, Kimmo). Making the playoffs was the only thing that allowed the Predators to survive the lockout.

Making the 2nd round of the playoffs would another HUGE step forward. The city of Nashville is desperate to have a sports team to get really excited about. The Titans have been in a downward spiral for quite some time, and reached rock bottom this season. UT Football was a disaster this year as well. And, in a way, the lockout made some casual Nashville sports fans forget about hockey.

A huge opportunity is waiting, and I think this is the single biggest reason that Poile and Leipold were willing to overpay to get Witt. If we make it to 2nd round, it’s going to create at huge buzz, and the Predators organization will reap the benefits of this buzz. Individual and Corporate season tickets will see a huge spike, especially the Corporate sales. It will be easier to attract UFAs to Nashville, which is going to be huge under the new CBA. And hockey in Nashville will take a big step towards success.

While that the ideal scenario, we also have to be realistic of the other options. If we lose in the 1st round of the playoffs, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I’d expect season ticket sales to rise slightly, but nothing of significance. All in all, it will probably be a disappointment, mainly because of the missed opportunity.

Realistically, there’s still a chance we don’t make the playoffs. We still have 19 games to go. The odds are on our side, but I’m not counting the chickens yet. This is obviously a worst case scenario. Everyone will be pissed. Season ticket sales will take a hit.

So, in summary, the playoffs this year have major implications for the viability of hockey in Nashville. And this is why I ultimately think we overpaid for Witt. I hope that he has impact that Poile and Leipold are, literally, banking on.
I agree. Just to make it to the second round would see a pretty good spike in season ticket sales. I too am not counting chikens albiet it will have to be a pretty bad spiral for us to fall out of the race. Since the preds have had this spiral in the past a couple of times, I won't lock us into a playoff spot; if we do fall out of the hunt, I would also expect us to have a pretty bad fall in renewals and new season ticket purchases.

Closed Thread