HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Black tape vs. white tape?

View Poll Results: Black or White tape?
Black 25 43.86%
White 32 56.14%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

vCash: 500
Black tape vs. white tape?

Which do you prefer to tape your stick with? Black for me.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 7431
White AINEC especially for the top of my stick.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Lososaurus

White for the butt of the stick. Darkens over time, I like it.

I like using white on the blade so I can tell where I'm contacting the puck. As far as black vs. white on shooting and what goalies think, I have no idea.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:35 PM
BaconStrips

AINEC

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
ponder

On the blade I flip flop, currently going with black though. Don't care much either way.

On the butt end, I don't use tape at all, I use a tacki-mac. Generally white though.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:02 PM
qmechanic

I don't really have a preference. Lately, I've been going with whatever color has the best contrast with my stick blade (e.g. white tape for black blade). My dubious theory is that people will have an easier time passing on tape.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
As far as black vs. white on shooting and what goalies think, I have no idea.
As a goalie, I think it's a myth that black tape hides the puck. For my own tape, I prefer white because it seems to "stick better" on composite sticks and lasts longer, it can take more of a beating from pucks, black seems to rip more easily from shots. I use black tape on my RBK Euro though because it looks badass, being all black with the gold on it.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-18-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

White on handle, black on the blade

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
White on handle, black on the blade
this now that I have an RS, but usually I just rock white top and bottom.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:42 PM
hockeymass

I prefer white tape. White tape on the blade helps me to more easily identify where on the blade the puck is with my peripheral vision. I find myself able to carry the puck much more effectively without looking down than when I used to use black friction tape.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
As a goalie, I think it's a myth that black tape hides the puck. For my own tape, I prefer white because it seems to "stick better" on composite sticks and lasts longer, it can take more of a beating from pucks, black seems to rip more easily from shots. I use black tape on my RBK Euro though because it looks badass, being all black with the gold on it.
It may be a myth but it's much easier to read the puck off a white taped stick than a black taped stick. Black tape on your blade also sticks to the puck better (Granlund, Crosby, Jurco, Schremp, Ho-Sang all used black tape for their fancy moves). White tape up top, black tape rips up your gloves, at least it did for me one year and I never did it again.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:37 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
It may be a myth but it's much easier to read the puck off a white taped stick than a black taped stick. Black tape on your blade also sticks to the puck better (Granlund, Crosby, Jurco, Schremp, Ho-Sang all used black tape for their fancy moves). White tape up top, black tape rips up your gloves, at least it did for me one year and I never did it again.
I really don't see how you can make statements like that, it totally varies brand to brand. I mostly use Lowry (pro grade) and Renfrew (black and gold) tape. The white and black Lowry tapes are literally identical other than the colour. White vs. black Renfrew, I do notice a slight difference, the black seems to have a bit more of a gritty texture (more like sandpaper). There are no general qualities for white and black tape in general though re: texture, glue, durability, etc.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

White tape for knob and blade. Black tape in the middle to mitigate cosmetic damage.

Don't know if it's me, but seems like black tape wears out faster on the blade. Once water seeps into it, it loses adhesiveness quicker than white tape.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
motalar

Black friction tape on the blade. White tape on top, but lately I have been using that gauze-type tape over the top.

motalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I really don't see how you can make statements like that, it totally varies brand to brand. I mostly use Lowry (pro grade) and Renfrew (black and gold) tape. The white and black Lowry tapes are literally identical other than the colour. White vs. black Renfrew, I do notice a slight difference, the black seems to have a bit more of a gritty texture (more like sandpaper). There are no general qualities for white and black tape in general though re: texture, glue, durability, etc.
I can only speak for myself here but I'm making these statements based off my own experience... Playing hockey a lot of guys have different preferences and I'm simply sharing my own. A lot of people have said for a number of years that black tape seems stickier than white tape. I could really care less if it's 100% true or not but I've found that it black tape does in fact work better for that type of puck handling.

I also added in 5 examples of guys who have been known to play with the puck on their stick like they have a magnet in their blade and all 5 of them have always used black tape on their stick (Is that really a fluke?). Feel free to go look up videos of them if you'd like the proof. I even recall The Hockey News Issue from January where Ho-Sang was laughing at Connor McDavid because he couldn't get the puck on his stick at a photo shoot. He said something along the lines of "it works better with black tape, I have no idea why". I'd go find the exact quote but I'm lazy and I know for a fact it was something along those lines.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
ponder

Quote:
I can only speak for myself here but I'm making these statements based off my own experience... Playing hockey a lot of guys have different preferences and I'm simply sharing my own. A lot of people have said for a number of years that black tape seems stickier than white tape. I could really care less if it's 100% true or not but I've found that it black tape does in fact work better for that type of puck handling.

I also added in 5 examples of guys who have been known to play with the puck on their stick like they have a magnet in their blade and all 5 of them have always used black tape on their stick (Is that really a fluke?). Feel free to go look up videos of them if you'd like the proof. I even recall The Hockey News Issue from January where Ho-Sang was laughing at Connor McDavid because he couldn't get the puck on his stick at a photo shoot. He said something along the lines of "it works better with black tape, I have no idea why". I'd go find the exact quote but I'm lazy and I know for a fact it was something along those lines.
Yes, total fluke. Giroux, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin, etc. all stickhandle with the puck on a string too, and use white tape (or at least generally use white tape, Malkin I've seen occasionally use black tape too). I feel like in general white tape is a bit more popular than black tape in the NHL, but I think that's more aesthetic than anything. I've used lots of brands of tape, sometimes the black and white tape seem a bit different for any given brand, sometimes they seem the seem identical, but regardless the difference is IMO always small compared to the general differences between brands (i.e. Lowry white is more similar to Lowry black than it is to Renfrew white, Andover white, 3M white, Howie's white, etc.). I really don't see these general trends in stickiness between white and black tape.

Last edited by ponder: 04-18-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 09:44 PM
dwreckm

I generally use black tape, and then I wax it.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Fanned On It

Yeah I've been going for contrast lately as well... White on black for the blade. The top of my Total ONE shaft is Yellow.... and the top of my Warrior Widow is black with red grip tape over it.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:22 AM
WingsFan95

Black for both.

Has to be my preferred style with everything from running clothes to casual wear.

I prefer all-black.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Yes, total fluke. Giroux, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin, etc. all stickhandle with the puck on a string too, and use white tape (or at least generally use white tape, Malkin I've seen occasionally use black tape too). I feel like in general white tape is a bit more popular than black tape in the NHL, but I think that's more aesthetic than anything. I've used lots of brands of tape, sometimes the black and white tape seem a bit different for any given brand, sometimes they seem the seem identical, but regardless the difference is IMO always small compared to the general differences between brands (i.e. Lowry white is more similar to Lowry black than it is to Renfrew white, Andover white, 3M white, Howie's white, etc.). I really don't see these general trends in stickiness between white and black tape.
I didn't say stickhandle... You're talking about a skillset completely different than me. I'm talking about guys who literally stick the puck to their blade when I talk about Crosby, Granlund, Ho-Sang, Schremp, and Jurco:
Crosby:

Granlund:

Schremp:

Jurco:

Ho-Sang:

Old
04-19-2012, 08:41 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

I like white cause it looks cooler.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Saucy Dangles

I've always used white tape, it tends to be more durable and provides contrast. I play defense so there's no need for me to disguise/hide my shot from 60+ feet out. I usually rawk white tape and then rub it down with a puck to darken it a tad as well as the rubber provides some anti soaking.

Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:44 AM
BaconStrips

Man, no support for pink?

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
I can only speak for myself here but I'm making these statements based off my own experience...
Same here.

Our team gets supplied tape and the white tape he gives us just seems (emphasis on seems I never said it's a fact) to stick better to my goalie stick than black tape and take less damage from pucks.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I go back and forth. Never matters, always just for looks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote