HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Black tape vs. white tape?

View Poll Results: Black or White tape?
Black 25 43.86%
White 32 56.14%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2012, 06:15 PM
  #1
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone
 
Fred Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,599
vCash: 500
Black tape vs. white tape?

Which do you prefer to tape your stick with? Black for me.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:19 PM
  #2
Playerwinner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 696
vCash: 7431
White AINEC especially for the top of my stick.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:30 PM
  #3
Lososaurus
Registered User
 
Lososaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
White for the butt of the stick. Darkens over time, I like it.

I like using white on the blade so I can tell where I'm contacting the puck. As far as black vs. white on shooting and what goalies think, I have no idea.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:35 PM
  #4
BaconStrips
Registered User
 
BaconStrips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 867
vCash: 500

AINEC

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
  #5
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,516
vCash: 500
On the blade I flip flop, currently going with black though. Don't care much either way.

On the butt end, I don't use tape at all, I use a tacki-mac. Generally white though.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:02 PM
  #6
qmechanic
Registered User
 
qmechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
I don't really have a preference. Lately, I've been going with whatever color has the best contrast with my stick blade (e.g. white tape for black blade). My dubious theory is that people will have an easier time passing on tape.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
  #7
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
As far as black vs. white on shooting and what goalies think, I have no idea.
As a goalie, I think it's a myth that black tape hides the puck. For my own tape, I prefer white because it seems to "stick better" on composite sticks and lasts longer, it can take more of a beating from pucks, black seems to rip more easily from shots. I use black tape on my RBK Euro though because it looks badass, being all black with the gold on it.


Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-18-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:34 PM
  #8
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou
 
Axman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 500
White on handle, black on the blade

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
  #9
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
White on handle, black on the blade
this now that I have an RS, but usually I just rock white top and bottom.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:42 PM
  #10
hockeymass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
I prefer white tape. White tape on the blade helps me to more easily identify where on the blade the puck is with my peripheral vision. I find myself able to carry the puck much more effectively without looking down than when I used to use black friction tape.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:01 PM
  #11
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
As a goalie, I think it's a myth that black tape hides the puck. For my own tape, I prefer white because it seems to "stick better" on composite sticks and lasts longer, it can take more of a beating from pucks, black seems to rip more easily from shots. I use black tape on my RBK Euro though because it looks badass, being all black with the gold on it.
It may be a myth but it's much easier to read the puck off a white taped stick than a black taped stick. Black tape on your blade also sticks to the puck better (Granlund, Crosby, Jurco, Schremp, Ho-Sang all used black tape for their fancy moves). White tape up top, black tape rips up your gloves, at least it did for me one year and I never did it again.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:37 PM
  #12
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
As a goalie, I think it's a myth that black tape hides the puck. For my own tape, I prefer white because it seems to "stick better" on composite sticks and lasts longer, it can take more of a beating from pucks, black seems to rip more easily from shots. I use black tape on my RBK Euro though because it looks badass, being all black with the gold on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
It may be a myth but it's much easier to read the puck off a white taped stick than a black taped stick. Black tape on your blade also sticks to the puck better (Granlund, Crosby, Jurco, Schremp, Ho-Sang all used black tape for their fancy moves). White tape up top, black tape rips up your gloves, at least it did for me one year and I never did it again.
I really don't see how you can make statements like that, it totally varies brand to brand. I mostly use Lowry (pro grade) and Renfrew (black and gold) tape. The white and black Lowry tapes are literally identical other than the colour. White vs. black Renfrew, I do notice a slight difference, the black seems to have a bit more of a gritty texture (more like sandpaper). There are no general qualities for white and black tape in general though re: texture, glue, durability, etc.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:39 PM
  #13
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 7,754
vCash: 500
White tape for knob and blade. Black tape in the middle to mitigate cosmetic damage.

Don't know if it's me, but seems like black tape wears out faster on the blade. Once water seeps into it, it loses adhesiveness quicker than white tape.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
  #14
motalar
Registered User
 
motalar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: dalen
Country: Sweden
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Black friction tape on the blade. White tape on top, but lately I have been using that gauze-type tape over the top.

motalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
  #15
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I really don't see how you can make statements like that, it totally varies brand to brand. I mostly use Lowry (pro grade) and Renfrew (black and gold) tape. The white and black Lowry tapes are literally identical other than the colour. White vs. black Renfrew, I do notice a slight difference, the black seems to have a bit more of a gritty texture (more like sandpaper). There are no general qualities for white and black tape in general though re: texture, glue, durability, etc.
I can only speak for myself here but I'm making these statements based off my own experience... Playing hockey a lot of guys have different preferences and I'm simply sharing my own. A lot of people have said for a number of years that black tape seems stickier than white tape. I could really care less if it's 100% true or not but I've found that it black tape does in fact work better for that type of puck handling.

I also added in 5 examples of guys who have been known to play with the puck on their stick like they have a magnet in their blade and all 5 of them have always used black tape on their stick (Is that really a fluke?). Feel free to go look up videos of them if you'd like the proof. I even recall The Hockey News Issue from January where Ho-Sang was laughing at Connor McDavid because he couldn't get the puck on his stick at a photo shoot. He said something along the lines of "it works better with black tape, I have no idea why". I'd go find the exact quote but I'm lazy and I know for a fact it was something along those lines.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
  #16
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
I can only speak for myself here but I'm making these statements based off my own experience... Playing hockey a lot of guys have different preferences and I'm simply sharing my own. A lot of people have said for a number of years that black tape seems stickier than white tape. I could really care less if it's 100% true or not but I've found that it black tape does in fact work better for that type of puck handling.

I also added in 5 examples of guys who have been known to play with the puck on their stick like they have a magnet in their blade and all 5 of them have always used black tape on their stick (Is that really a fluke?). Feel free to go look up videos of them if you'd like the proof. I even recall The Hockey News Issue from January where Ho-Sang was laughing at Connor McDavid because he couldn't get the puck on his stick at a photo shoot. He said something along the lines of "it works better with black tape, I have no idea why". I'd go find the exact quote but I'm lazy and I know for a fact it was something along those lines.
Yes, total fluke. Giroux, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin, etc. all stickhandle with the puck on a string too, and use white tape (or at least generally use white tape, Malkin I've seen occasionally use black tape too). I feel like in general white tape is a bit more popular than black tape in the NHL, but I think that's more aesthetic than anything. I've used lots of brands of tape, sometimes the black and white tape seem a bit different for any given brand, sometimes they seem the seem identical, but regardless the difference is IMO always small compared to the general differences between brands (i.e. Lowry white is more similar to Lowry black than it is to Renfrew white, Andover white, 3M white, Howie's white, etc.). I really don't see these general trends in stickiness between white and black tape.


Last edited by ponder: 04-18-2012 at 11:59 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:44 PM
  #17
dwreckm
Registered User
 
dwreckm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
I generally use black tape, and then I wax it.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:07 PM
  #18
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Yeah I've been going for contrast lately as well... White on black for the blade. The top of my Total ONE shaft is Yellow.... and the top of my Warrior Widow is black with red grip tape over it.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:22 AM
  #19
WingsFan95
Registered User
 
WingsFan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,625
vCash: 500
Black for both.

Has to be my preferred style with everything from running clothes to casual wear.

I prefer all-black.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:22 AM
  #20
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Yes, total fluke. Giroux, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin, etc. all stickhandle with the puck on a string too, and use white tape (or at least generally use white tape, Malkin I've seen occasionally use black tape too). I feel like in general white tape is a bit more popular than black tape in the NHL, but I think that's more aesthetic than anything. I've used lots of brands of tape, sometimes the black and white tape seem a bit different for any given brand, sometimes they seem the seem identical, but regardless the difference is IMO always small compared to the general differences between brands (i.e. Lowry white is more similar to Lowry black than it is to Renfrew white, Andover white, 3M white, Howie's white, etc.). I really don't see these general trends in stickiness between white and black tape.
I didn't say stickhandle... You're talking about a skillset completely different than me. I'm talking about guys who literally stick the puck to their blade when I talk about Crosby, Granlund, Ho-Sang, Schremp, and Jurco:
Crosby:


Granlund:


Schremp:


Jurco:


Ho-Sang:

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:41 AM
  #21
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN
 
jorbjorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
I like white cause it looks cooler.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM
  #22
Saucy Dangles
Registered User
 
Saucy Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
I've always used white tape, it tends to be more durable and provides contrast. I play defense so there's no need for me to disguise/hide my shot from 60+ feet out. I usually rawk white tape and then rub it down with a puck to darken it a tad as well as the rubber provides some anti soaking.

Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:44 AM
  #23
BaconStrips
Registered User
 
BaconStrips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 867
vCash: 500
Man, no support for pink?

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:46 AM
  #24
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
I can only speak for myself here but I'm making these statements based off my own experience...
Same here.

Our team gets supplied tape and the white tape he gives us just seems (emphasis on seems I never said it's a fact) to stick better to my goalie stick than black tape and take less damage from pucks.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
  #25
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,487
vCash: 500
I go back and forth. Never matters, always just for looks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.