HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Luongo To Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
thinkinfeller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
A lot of assumptions in there. I dont see the salary cap rising that much in the next decade. A lot of teams are struggling now to meet the floor and require revenue sharing to compete. Although I suppose the floor could be lowered in the new CBA.
I guess you'd be more comfortable playing the 2012/13 season with Reimer/Scrivens between the pipes?

If we can send Komisarek the other way, we're talking about a difference of 1 million per season for an impact player at a position where we're significantly lacking.

I'll admit that I'm assuming a few things when weighing the pros and cons of a deal like this. I'm assuming Loo would retire at 40, and that the salary cap continues to rise over the next 10 years. Anytime that you have a chance to get a player of Luongo's ilk on the cheap, you have to decide if the rewards outweigh the risks - in this case, I believe they do.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
SteveV*

Sign Roberto, dump Reimer's contract which is tradable and have Scrivens as your backup, cheap and ready for that role.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Can't believe the amount of people defending Luongo and actually wanting him in this thread.

His own team doesn't believe in him, he's not even playing tonight! Why would we want that? The pressure in Toronto is 10x that in Vancouver, he would absolutely CRUMBLE here as soon as any scrutiny arose.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:28 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
No, the Canucks got within one game of it IN SPITE of Luongo. On paper, they were the much better team, Luongo is the reason Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup. Once a team gets in his head, he just breaks down.

See 2011 playoffs against Chicago: Up 3-0 in the series, then proceeds to get pulled in the next 3 games. And I don't think I need to remind anyone of the Cup Final, but I will: Up 2-0 in the series, only to allow 21 GA in the next 5 games, including an 8GA effort, and getting pulled twice.

Never seen a goalie perform as pathetically as Luongo in the playoffs.
Hey man...I think I watched the same TV that you did. I'm not sure what these other guys who say that it "wasn't Luongo's fault"....Maybe it was in a parallel universe. All of what you said is dead accurate. Not a pressure goalie. Fans want him to come to Toronto? Where everybody whines about how the media and fans are unreasonable?

Career advice for Roberto Luongo. If you can't hack it in Vancouver..stay the hell away from Toronto and Montreal.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
1) Wait, so you already know he has a 'NTC' but ignore the fact that he would have to waive it to come to an even bigger market with more media? "A young #1 goalie with no NTC"? I wonder which of that criteria Luongo has...

So you know when he'll retire as well?! And leave 3 years on his deal? Seems like a contract that Burke would love.

I would rather have the goaltender that is out-performing the one you want, and also who seems capable of enjoying to play in pressure situations.

My plan? Well it's quite simple actually; I want to avoid doing what this organization has done over and over, which is consistently relying on outside talent from other organizations at a premium price to solve the inadequate performances of General Managers. Luongo will fit this, just like Toskala did, and Raycroft before him. So my point here is that I am "not putting all my eggs in one basket"; I make an attempt with an offer-sheet, and if Vancouver is stupid enough to reject it and pay that much to their goaltenders, then good for them. I would move on to other goaltenders, notably a veteran. It's not Luongo or bust, nor will it ever be. A proper defensive strategy that limits giveaways and has a signficant strategy towards solid positional play will vastly improve the team. I mean, it's not like other organizations have done this to make up for mediocre goaltending.

So if Burke doesn't entertain long term deals, what makes you think he contemplates an offer sheet, another tactic he has little value for?

Did you really just compare Luongo to Toskala and Raycroft? on what level?? talent???

Old
binop7

Quote:
Can't believe the amount of people defending Luongo and actually wanting him in this thread.

His own team doesn't believe in him, he's not even playing tonight! Why would we want that? The pressure in Toronto is 10x that in Vancouver, he would absolutely CRUMBLE here as soon as any scrutiny arose.
Anaheim didn't believe in Lupul

Old
Leafsfan64

Komisarek
Connolly
Reimer

For

Luongo
Booth
2nd 2013

Old
04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
I guess you'd be more comfortable playing the 2012/13 season with Reimer/Scrivens between the pipes?

If we can send Komisarek the other way, we're talking about a difference of 1 million per season for an impact player at a position where we're significantly lacking.

I'll admit that I'm assuming a few things when weighing the pros and cons of a deal like this. I'm assuming Loo would retire at 40, and that the salary cap continues to rise over the next 10 years. Anytime that you have a chance to get a player of Luongo's ilk on the cheap, you have to decide if the rewards outweigh the risks - in this case, I believe they do.
Luongo isnt the only option out there. How do we know Kipper isnt available? And Komi is gone in two years. Luongo has TEN years left. Thats a huge difference. In fact the entire LACK lineup is gone in two eyars (3/4 of it after next season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Lupuls not a goalie. Theres 12 forwards on the ice every night, and one goalie. Again, big difference.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Hey man...I think I watched the same TV that you did. I'm not sure what these other guys who say that it "wasn't Luongo's fault"....Maybe it was in a parallel universe. All of what you said is dead accurate. Not a pressure goalie. Fans want him to come to Toronto? Where everybody whines about how the media and fans are unreasonable?

Career advice for Roberto Luongo. If you can't hack it in Vancouver..stay the hell away from Toronto and Montreal.
Agreed!

Old
04-18-2012, 09:34 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan64 View Post
Komisarek
Connolly
Reimer

For

Luongo
Booth
2nd 2013

Old
04-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Goalies and forwards are completely different, not comparable.

But just to entertain the comparison, Anaheim gave up on Lupul because of injuries mainly, not because he cost them games.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Gardiner Express
#TankNation

I'm not trying to be ignorant or anything, but what is wrong with Luongo's contract? I know it's pretty lengthy, but he has a $5.3mil cap hit which I think is pretty good for a goaltender of his caliber.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Jerkini

It's time the "Big Blue" flex it's financial muscle and pull in some genuine 1A talent. Toronto should have pioneered cap circumventing contracts, not the Detroit or New Jerseys of the NHL.

Luongo doesn't have a NMC clause. The Marlies play in Toronto. Waiving him and sending him to the farm where he can peacefully play out the rest of his contract without having to pack up his life and move to some bodunk AHL town is hardly a slap in the face. I call it a cushy retirement package.

And if Burke doesn't waiver from his "5 year commitment" plan, then I can't wait until he loses his job because I don't foresee us landing a premier player anytime soon.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Flowseidon
Compton

How do I type a scoff?

Old
04-18-2012, 09:38 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

All of our LACK for your Luongo

Seriously though, I don't believe Luongo is done, I believe he's in serious need of a change of scenery. It's done absolute wonders for players in the past, we've seen it first hand with former Leafs. Yeah his contract is bloody terrible, which is why the above would have to be included in some form, but who knows what he can do with a change.

Old
thinkinfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post

You think there's more pressure in Toronto than there is in Vancouver? Leafs fans would be happy to be swept out in the first round - Canucks fans? Not so much.

Also, I'm curious to know which one of our 'iron nerved' goaltenders have outperformed Roberto Luongo at any point in their careers?

We want the Cup! - But we don't want to spend against the cap, or give up potentially valuable futures.

Old
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardiner Express View Post
I'm not trying to be ignorant or anything, but what is wrong with Luongo's contract? I know it's pretty lengthy, but he has a $5.3mil cap hit which I think is pretty good for a goaltender of his caliber.
Agreed. How hilarious is it that we Leaf fans balk at the chance to sign the goalie that led his team to the Stanley Cup finals, as well as consecutive Presidents Trophy championships, when we can't even get a whiff of 8th place????

Old
steve1873
44 Years

Quote:

Because this city loves a loser

Old
04-18-2012, 09:41 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Agreed. How hilarious is it that we Leaf fans balk at the chance to sign the goalie that led his team to the Stanley Cup finals, as well as consecutive Presidents Trophy championships, when we can't even get a whiff of 8th place????
Maybe having back to back Hart Trophy nominees helped? You can't be implying that Luongo is the reason for Vancouver's success? They actually win more when the other guy plays. But yeah thanks.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1873 View Post
no, this city loves settling for career backup goalies as their starter. don't worry guys, josh harding can be had in the off sesaon. now there's a goalie.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:43 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardiner Express View Post
Hes 33, currently sitting in the most important game of the season for his team. Whats he going to look like in 5 years? 8? 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
I dont think "led his team to the finals" is really all that accurate.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:45 PM
thinkinfeller

Quote:
Luongo isnt the only option out there. How do we know Kipper isnt available? And Komi is gone in two years. Luongo has TEN years left. Thats a huge difference. In fact the entire LACK lineup is gone in two eyars (3/4 of it after next season)
The fact that LACK are all gone in 2 years makes me even more comfortable taking on a contract like this. Kipper is a great goalie, but we're more than 2 years away from being a serious contender, so I don't see any long term benefit in signing him, and don't feel that he would bring us any closer to our goal of winning the Stanley Cup.

I guess the difference between us is that I believe Luongo is a premier goaltender with alot of gas in the tank still. I also believe that 5.6 mil/per is a very reasonable price for a franchise goalie.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:45 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
You think there's more pressure in Toronto than there is in Vancouver? Leafs fans would be happy to be swept out in the first round - Canucks fans? Not so much.

Also, I'm curious to know which one of our 'iron nerved' goaltenders have outperformed Roberto Luongo at any point in their careers?

We want the Cup! - But we don't want to spend against the cap, or give up potentially valuable futures.
I will definitely say there is more pressure in Toronto than anywhere else in the NHL with the exception of Montreal. I think their media and fans are even more rabid than Toronto's. It takes a special player to succeed in these markets.. You need to be mentally tough as well as skilled. Not goalies that crumble in the most important games. We have seen our share of goalies who crumble. Don't really need to see that movie again.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:46 PM
binop7

Quote:
Hes 33, currently sitting in the most important game of the season for his team. Whats he going to look like in 5 years? 8? 10?

I dont think "led his team to the finals" is really all that accurate.
Luongo being benched is border line retarded, he kept Vancouver in Game 1 and 2, but yet again their offense choked. And as I say that Kopitar scores on Schneider. I'd say there is a fairly good chance Burke peruses Luongo.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:46 PM
LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1873 View Post
Loser in game 7 of the finals versus losers in february...

Closed Thread