HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can the Devils actually lose 4 of 7 to FL? Stay tuned for the craptastic conclusion

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Marty said today they feel they are getting tested earlier than they thought they would. Like a lot of us did on the board they over looked Florida. Hopefully they can make the adjustments and come back.
That's irritating. Can't overlook anybody, that's when it burns you. Focus on the task at hand. I hope they remember that next game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
If Lou fires another coach he's going with him. Plus Lou is very high on Pete, Sutter didn't get the ax after yr 1, Pete won't either.
I think DeBoer has a pretty long leash. Lou probably doesn't want to continue with the coaching turnover rate, he already has a reputation for it.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
the PK woes are simple

our forwards are not pressuring the Florida DMen like we did ALL season long

almost all of their PP Goals have come off point shots or rebounds of point shots

Old
04-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Our defencemen are also slow to the puck. That Bergenheim goal last game was caused because they exploited Volch's lack of speed to what should have been a harmless dump in.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
the PK woes are simple

our forwards are not pressuring the Florida DMen like we did ALL season long

almost all of their PP Goals have come off point shots or rebounds of point shots
It's almost as if they're playing timid.

So after stewing over this loss for the last 24+ hours, I feel bad for getting so upset with them. I mean they deserved it, but I kinda feel like **** about having doubts about how they will respond tomorrow. Where is the faith?

I guess the thing that is upsetting everyone most is that we KNOW they can be better than what they have shown. They just have to do it. I for one, just want to see them play a complete well played game. Attention to details. Win game 4 and all is forgiven for game 3.

LGD

Old
04-19-2012, 12:36 AM
CerebralGenesis

I really hope Volch sits tomorrow. He has been a liability for 3 games now and continues to get torched. It is honestly beginning to cost games for the team.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Our defencemen are also slow to the puck. That Bergenheim goal last game was caused because they exploited Volch's lack of speed to what should have been a harmless dump in.
Wait I thought it was Marty's fault? I can't believe people are pissed with Marty. Of course we hold him to a high standard, but I think the criticism is overblown.

He made me really crazy in November, and December. I thought he was either still hurt or possibly finally just about broken down for good. I said I felt more comfortable with Hedberg, and was banging my head against the wall, and people on here actually told me Brodeur was off limits for criticism because of his role with this organization. Fast forward to January, February, and March some of the same people who told me criticism of him was off limits are nitpicking him on games where he gave up ONE frickin goal even though we won almost all those games. 16 games this season of one goal or less with 3 of them shutouts. Not to mention 4 or 5 that could have easily been shutouts if our team knew how to clear the puck from their own zone.

A couple of these one goal games we didn't even win like the Anders Nilsson shutout against the Islanders where Marty gave up one unstoppable goal because of one of these failures to clear the zone by the team, and stopped many high quality chances to try to give the other losers out there a chance to tie what became a lost cause of a game.

Then the next week ''We beat the Isles 5-1! Why the hell did Marty give that goal up? What was he thinking!'' or ''Marty gave up that goal to Detroit! He got schooled so bad! First win in Detroit in 15 years, but it wasn't a shutout like the last one!''

I hope this isn't the case tomorrow, but it will be interesting to see us lose 1-0 tomorrow, and all the ''Marty should have had that goal WTF! Routine save! That shot was softer than a milkshake!''

I swear Marty gets more criticism on the internet by Devils fans than John Maclean did last year when he ruined our entire season, and allegedly was caught calling the fans effing selfish.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I'm not worried about Marty. He will have a big bounceback game.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:54 AM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Wait I thought it was Marty's fault? I can't believe people are pissed with Marty. Of course we hold him to a high standard, but I think the criticism is overblown.

He made me really crazy in November, and December. I thought he was either still hurt or possibly finally just about broken down for good. I said I felt more comfortable with Hedberg, and was banging my head against the wall, and people on here actually told me Brodeur was off limits for criticism because of his role with this organization. Fast forward to January, February, and March some of the same people who told me criticism of him was off limits are nitpicking him on games where he gave up ONE frickin goal even though we won almost all those games. 16 games this season of one goal or less with 3 of them shutouts. Not to mention 4 or 5 that could have easily been shutouts if our team knew how to clear the puck from their own zone.

A couple of these one goal games we didn't even win like the Anders Nilsson shutout against the Islanders where Marty gave up one unstoppable goal because of one of these failures to clear the zone by the team, and stopped many high quality chances to try to give the other losers out there a chance to tie what became a lost cause of a game.

Then the next week ''We beat the Isles 5-1! Why the hell did Marty give that goal up? What was he thinking!'' or ''Marty gave up that goal to Detroit! He got schooled so bad! First win in Detroit in 15 years, but it wasn't a shutout like the last one!''

I hope this isn't the case tomorrow, but it will be interesting to see us lose 1-0 tomorrow, and all the ''Marty should have had that goal WTF! Routine save! That shot was softer than a milkshake!''

I swear Marty gets more criticism on the internet by Devils fans than John Maclean did last year when he ruined our entire season, and allegedly was caught calling the fans effing selfish.
i stopped caring what the out of the woodwork 'fans' say. good for them if they want to ***** and moan about every little thing. am i happy? not really. but there is more then the end of the world right now. its 2-1 and game in newark. i can accept that.

what the team does to make **** right is in their hands now. im still going to enjoy tonights game big time.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

I think it's unfair to pick apart Marty for every goal that goes in but that's just the nature of the beast I suppose. He's been getting railed on for years by his own fans, but it's kind of inevitable when you set a standard like he / the team has and then get nowhere near it again for a long time.

I'll always be a defender of him, however, Marty does need to step up now. NJ needs a very big game from him tomorrow and moving forward as well. This team can't afford any type of letdown at any position, especially in goal. If he stands tall, it will only give the team more confidence and that should help them out a great deal in getting their game back in order.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm not worried about Marty. He will have a big bounceback game.
I know it's not everybody. I just read the TG blog, and a few posts on here, and people have a hard on for Marty bashing. I call it like I see it. When he give us a crappy goal I say it. The 3rd goal on Sunday was pretty bad. I don't know how the hell that got past him. In Marty's defense the rest of the team had no pulse by that time, and everyone else packed it, and went home a whole period before. He probably saw the rest of the team had no incentive to win, and packed it in like everybody else.

Then the Devils arrived to Bank Atlantic Center in time for the the 3rd.

Marty's rebound control aint what it used to be. That might be his biggest problem. He usually does make the biggest saves in most games, and can stop 5 out of 6 breakaways, and odd man rushes of the games. He usually makes the highlight reel saves as opposed to the other goalies. Don't mean he always makes the most saves, or gets the win though.

Like I said I think he gets bashed more now by Devils fans than John Maclean was when he cost our team last season, and Lou still wouldn't can his ass. As if Maclean is a bigger Devils or hockey legend than Brodeur. Man I wish Scott Stevens played till he was 46. Can you imagine Scott Niedermayer coming out of retirement to play for the Devils, or not even retiring in the first place, and coming back to the Devils?

Old
04-19-2012, 12:58 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Can we put some positive vibe back in this place please?

Old
04-19-2012, 01:01 AM
NJDFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
I'm all for this.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
I think it's unfair to pick apart Marty for every goal that goes in but that's just the nature of the beast I suppose. He's been getting railed on for years by his own fans, but it's kind of inevitable when you set a standard like he / the team has and then get nowhere near it again for a long time.

I'll always be a defender of him, however, Marty does need to step up now. NJ needs a very big game from him tomorrow and moving forward as well. This team can't afford any type of letdown at any position, especially in goal. If he stands tall, it will only give the team more confidence and that should help them out a great deal in getting their game back in order.
Marty can steal us a game usually. Now if he gives up one or two goals, and the team can't score two or three themselves that's not his problem. How is it his fault the team couldn't score on career NHL backup, career AHL starter Albany River Rats/Toronto Marlies/Lowell Devils star Scott Clemmensen? The other team has to do their part. The PK, our big guns who can score goals for us, and create scoring chances. He can stop some goals, but defensive breakdowns on the PK, and screens I can't fault him on.

I think Marty stole us the two points against Chicago. Trav, and Patty helped us in the shootout, and Sykkie got us a regulation goal, but he ensured we made it out of regulation with a point when that long winning streak starter. No 5 minute 4 on 4 OT, and shootout in the playoffs though. I feel he might have very well stole us the game in Detroit. He was beat on that PP goal mentally, but if not for that there's another 2-0 shutout to follow up on his performance in 96 there.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Agreed. It will get there though, you'll see. Once the excitement of game day hits full stride, game 4 will be all that matters.

Too much negative stuff has gone down the last few playoffs that it's just natural to expect the worst. It will be much more relaxed around these parts if the Devils get **** done tomorrow.

I believe they're going to step up with a tremendous game. Just crossing my fingers that they'll get good bounces and have some good luck as well.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Semak

Sounds like another sell out. Feed off the crowd again, take the lead and hold it! I'll be California and hoping to grab some wifi to catch the game.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Agreed. It will get there though, you'll see. Once the excitement of game day hits full stride, game 4 will be all that matters.

Too much negative stuff has gone down the last few playoffs that it's just natural to expect the worst. It will be much more relaxed around these parts if the Devils get **** done tomorrow.

I believe they're going to step up with a tremendous game. Just crossing my fingers that they'll get good bounces and have some good luck as well.
I hate the word bounce, and think Pete overuses that word too much, but I just thought we've had some of the worst luck with legit bounces this season. All those bounces off the boards at the Rock. That stupid bounce off the glass right at the Buffalo guys feet[Forgot who the hell it was] which should have been Marty's first shutout of the season, but turned into a shootout loss, and Ryan Miller coming back from the dead.

The bounce to tie the Rangers game was awesome. We suck at 6 on 5 too, and I think that was the only time we tied a game on one with the goalie pulled this year.

Need some bounces!

Break our friend from Iowa tomorrow. Don't need to score 3 goals in 6 minutes, or 3 goals in the period. In fact I'd feel more comfortable if the game was tighter than that. I've felt more confident with the Devils the whole season when they don't have a big lead, and Tuesday's game did nothing to change that. Fix the PK, and ENOUGH with these defensive breakdowns.

I believe this is the best team we've had in YEARS! As far as talent goes this might be our best post lockout. 08/09 was pretty good, but screw that team! Two top 10 leaders in points in the whole league. Three 30 + goal scorers. Five 20+ EIGHT 15+

Old
04-19-2012, 01:24 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Positivity:

Remember when the Devils were losing their way out of a playoff spot before the All Star Break and many were convinced they'd never be able to claw their way back? Then all of a sudden they were in a position to fight for home ice advantage.

Remember when the Devils lost 4 straight and it seemed like they'd never win again? Then they spent the week beating the crap out of the Atlantic division.

Remember when the Devils seemed like they'd lose their way into 7th place against the Bruins and many feared the bubble teams were catching up? Then they won out the rest of the season.

Remember when the Devils were only down 2-1 in a series and it seemed like the world was going to end?

This team runs into ruts, but they always came back with the wins when they were necessary.

Previous teams have failed us fans in the post season, but previous teams were previous teams.

New coach, new line up, new system.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Positivity:

Remember when the Devils were losing their way out of a playoff spot before the All Star Break and many were convinced they'd never be able to claw their way back? Then all of a sudden they were in a position to fight for home ice advantage.

Remember when the Devils lost 4 straight and it seemed like they'd never win again? Then they spent the week beating the crap out of the Atlantic division.

Remember when the Devils seemed like they'd lose their way into 7th place against the Bruins and many feared the bubble teams were catching up? Then they won out the rest of the season.

Remember when the Devils were only down 2-1 in a series and it seemed like the world was going to end?

This team runs into ruts, but they always came back with the wins when they were necessary.

Previous teams have failed us fans in the post season, but previous teams were previous teams.

I was one of them! I wasn't convinced we were making the playoffs until we officially clinched! Yes! It did seem like we would never win again, and then won 7 in a row. A season high! I expect more! We never sandbagged or failed to show up after we clinched a playoff spot like the Rags, Flyers, and Penguins. Even Ottawa did not win a game after clinching! We won ALL of them! I didn't think we could beat Chicago, Detroit or even Ottawa again, and honestly I swore we would find a way to screw up against Tampa Bay, Carolina or the Isles at least one those garbage can teams! We won 6 of those 7 without a shootout too! Six in a row without it! Came into 3rd periods tied or winning by just a goal, and didn't blow small leads!

Speaking of the post ASB run. The goalie situation. We gave Jaro Halak his worst save percentage of the year! We did lose that game, but still that's impressive cause it's tough to score 3 goals on St Louis sometimes. With the way they're playing this year. We've hosed that Flower MAF, and had him pulled, and he was playing a HELL of a lot better than he is now.

We've scored 5 goals on goaltenders that are actually good like Nabokov. I know he plays for the Isles, but check his numbers. They aren't bad for an Islanders goalie! Create scoring chances like that!

Old
04-19-2012, 01:39 AM
apice3*

In hindsight, I think it would have been wise to call a timeout after the first goal allowed.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:59 AM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Positivity:

I think they deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt here and every point you brought up is exactly why. It's just not an easy thing to do when your fresh off a crushing defeat like in game 3.

People can say what they want about respecting Florida and that they knew they would be tough but I don't think there is a soul in the world who could ever have predicted the script of these first three games. Not a chance. NJ can play much better though. We have seen it done before and against better competition as well.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I feel a little bit better. I went back, and dug up the video. We scored 2 goals in January of 2011 on Clemmensen on 8 shots. Markstrom started the 2nd period. Deboer obviously wasn't happy and took him out of the game. He's a man not a machine. He's beatable. I remember the game I was there, but never thought about this Clemmensen dilemma cause it was just another regular season game early in our comeback last season.

He got a win last season in OT where he gave up 2 goals on 35 shots. One of them was the weak Clarkson crease rat try to find an opening near the post shot. The same one that finally got past Anders Nilsson after 118+ minutes of being shut out by him. Also the same one that he put past Tim Thomas in the last game against Boston this season. My South Florida buddy who is a Devils fan thinks we're sweating him too much. I don't see why we have to. He's in the Devils heads, because he doesn't play this good against other teams. At least not all the time.

Now let's go, and do some of those things tomorrow that beat him the one game, and combine it with all the times we beat him for goals in the games where we lost to him.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:12 AM
HeliDevil
Legend

^ you have a strange obsession with clemmer

Old
04-19-2012, 02:13 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
I think they deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt here and every point you brought up is exactly why. It's just not an easy thing to do when your fresh off a crushing defeat like in game 3.
Superficially, at least from the post game/practice interviews, it doesn't seem like they're too far deflated to work their way out of this. But that doesn't tell the whole story, obviously. I still can't deny the fact that I'm worried a bit.

For those who believe in patterns and karma and all that, the first time the Devils blew a 3-0 lead to Florida - they won the next 3 straight. That won't matter to most, but I'll throw that out there just in case.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autos View Post
^ you have a strange obsession with clemmer
I honestly just can't figure out why we can't beat him. We all know we've never beaten him before aside from that time he was pulled, and he didn't get credited with the loss.

Why do we always make him look like better than Jonathan Quick?

Can anybody possibly tell me what the deal is with this guy, and why beating him is harder than Lundqvist, Quick, Anderson, Halak, Jose Theodore, Nabokov, Marc Andre Fleury, Ryan Miller, Pekka Rinne, Jimmy Howard, Khabibulin, etc?

We've beaten all those guys this year minus Halak, but we did chase Halak out. Some of these guys we've beaten in shootouts, but that don't matter cause we couldn't even tie our game with him this season to even have a chance to get to a shootout.

Any thoughts? I know other people have pointed this out so I would really like to hear others take on it.

Once we get over this stigma, and we can actually win a game against him I think we will be a lot better off, and while it's gonna take more games than we even have a chance to play in this series to even up our wins vs loss record to him I think we need that one win, and then we break him.

It's like how we scored on Nilsson after 118 minutes of being shut out by him over 2 games. Less than 30 seconds later we get a PP, and score another goal on him to win the game!

Old
04-19-2012, 02:24 AM
HeliDevil
Legend

if he starts tomorrow we'll score on him. there's a reason why he wasn't starting game 1. i'm not worried about him, he will not be the reason we lose this series.

Closed Thread