HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2012 Regular Season (Finding New Ways to Lose Part 1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Good win.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Papelbon allergic to the 8th inning?
No need to send him out there in the 8th this early in the year. And he kinda struggled a bit in the 9th, so perhaps it was good that he only pitched 1 inning.

Blanton was pretty good, although he had a whale of a defensive effort behind him.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Ryadem

Great outing from Blanton tonight. I really hope he can use this start and build on it for the future. If he does, he just might be an attractive piece for a team looking for an arm that has a plethora of hitting.

Old
04-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Real nice outing for Blanton tonight to go 7 deep for the 5th pitcher. Nice to also see some long balls from Shane and Ty.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
No need to send him out there in the 8th this early in the year. And he kinda struggled a bit in the 9th, so perhaps it was good that he only pitched 1 inning.

Blanton was pretty good, although he had a whale of a defensive effort behind him.
True he did struggle, but I don't buy into it being a bad idea to throw 7 more pitches at anytime during the year. I hate the idea of closers being relegated to only pitching the 9th, and I never understood how asking someone to get 4 outs instead of 3 is so much more taxing.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Amateur Hour

Anybody else take note of how hard McCarthy and Wheels were parading the "Jonathan Papelbon is the best signing in the history of baseball" company line during the ninth inning last night? It was as pathetic as it was annoying. Yeah, we get it, management handed out the biggest contract ever for a reliever so we could get the Red Sox's sloppy seconds as our closer. And, yeah, the signing didn't really excite the fans so much as perplex them, but the Phillies want to shove down our throats that bringing in Papelbon to be the closer is a franchise-changer. Like he is the reason this team will get back to the World Series or something. The reality is the Phillies foolishly paid out the ass for a closer who could very well be used-up (my Red Sox fans friends thought the deal was hilarious), lavishing him with a contract that should've been reserved for a player who could provide offensive firepower to a punchless lineup. Newsflash: Closer was NOT the problem last year, and it certainly should NOT have been first focus of the offseason. I still maintain the Phillies would have been better served surveying the closer market and waiting for a more cost-effective option to surface (my preference was Frank Francisco, who signed for 2 years and $12 million with the Mets).

Anyway, back to the Papelbon love-fest. Guys... you're not fooling anyone. As my close friend and housemate said last night while Papelbon was struggling in the 9th inning before inducing the double play: "Let's just say my Papelboner went limp a long time ago."

Could there have been more of a "meh, whatever" splash signing? Seriously.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Anybody else take note of how hard McCarthy and Wheels were parading the "Jonathan Papelbon is the best signing in the history of baseball" company line during the ninth inning last night? It was as pathetic as it was annoying. Yeah, we get it, management handed out the biggest contract ever for a reliever so we could get the Red Sox's sloppy seconds as our closer. And, yeah, the signing didn't really excite the fans so much as perplex them, but the Phillies want to shove down our throats that bringing in Papelbon to be the closer is a franchise-changer. Like he is the reason this team will get back to the World Series or something. The reality is the Phillies foolishly paid out the ass for a closer who could very well be used-up (my Red Sox fans friends thought the deal was hilarious), lavishing him with a contract that should've been reserved for a player who could provide offensive firepower to a punchless lineup. Newsflash: Closer was NOT the problem last year, and it certainly should NOT have been first focus of the offseason. I still maintain the Phillies would have been better served surveying the closer market and waiting for a more cost-effective option to surface (my preference was Frank Francisco, who signed for 2 years and $12 million with the Mets).

Anyway, back to the Papelbon love-fest. Guys... you're not fooling anyone. As my close friend and housemate said last night while Papelbon was struggling in the 9th inning before inducing the double play: "Let's just say my Papelboner went limp a long time ago."

I don't think he's washed up, but closers don't deserve that kind of money. Especially since the closer's role has shifted to 9th and only 9th inning pitcher over the last decade or so.

The signing really made no sense though when you consider that our only near major league young talent is all in the bullpen. I would have preferred for them to wait it out as well, and sign someone cheaper. If you're going to go big it should have been on offense, but then you have to look at what the options were, and what our roster flexibility was at the time.

If you didn't think there was anyone out there worth paying a ton of money too that was realistic for our team, then Amaro shouldn't have spent it at all. It's the problem that comes along with being successful, and building a team like this. There's pressure to spend even when you probably shouldn't.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:12 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post

Couldn't agree more. I heard the news in WV visiting friends from school, called my dad and pretty much greeted him with a "WTF did they do?!" I like Papelbon. I don't like Papelbon for this much, especially when closer really wasn't an issue. Madson did fine last season.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:51 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Larry Andersen is beyond pissed off right now.

04-18-2012, 01:29 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Old
04-18-2012, 11:23 PM
flyersguy33*

what a game tonight. what an outing by Cliff, but as of now, wont get a decision

Old
04-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Justified
Amaro out

this is terribad, more painful than the flyers game tonight.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
this is terribad, more painful than the flyers game tonight.
I don't know what's worse; watching your team get shelled, or watching your team in a close game that you know you have no chance in winning.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Justified
Amaro out

at least we have a team than play defense...

Old
04-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Padres really should be winning this game, if not have it still tied at 0 if not for mistakes by them, specifically Venable.

Pierre advanced to third in the first because of his mistake in left. Pierre scored on a sac fly, which was all the Phils got that inning.

In the 6th Venable singled, was bunted to second, and then failed to score on a very score-able single that Headley hit. He got to third, but then after a K he tried running home when Headley got caught in a rundown. He was thrown out by Rollins.

So if the Padres played well enough they'd have won 1-0. But since they weren't up 1-0 in the top of the 9th, they didn't bring in Street and gave up yet another gift run to the Phils as they could only score 1 time with a man on 2nd and 3rd 0 out, and that was on a passed ball.

Phils offense continues to be Phils offense. At least Worley pitched well.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Padres really should be winning this game, if not have it still tied at 0 if not for mistakes by them, specifically Venable.

Pierre advanced to third in the first because of his mistake in left. Pierre scored on a sac fly, which was all the Phils got that inning.

In the 6th Venable singled, was bunted to second, and then failed to score on a very score-able single that Headley hit. He got to third, but then after a K he tried running home when Headley got caught in a rundown. He was thrown out by Rollins.

So if the Padres played well enough they'd have won 1-0. But since they weren't up 1-0 in the top of the 9th, they didn't bring in Street and gave up yet another gift run to the Phils as they could only score 1 time with a man on 2nd and 3rd 0 out, and that was on a passed ball.

Phils offense continues to be Phils offense. At least Worley pitched well.
Couldnt have posted it any better. The Padres gave the Phillies this game. The Phillies still have a problem making contact and bringing the man in on 3rd with less than two outs, but JRoll didn come through in that situation tonight. The only way they score is with multiple singles in a row or mistakes by the other team. In the rare occasion they get an XBH they usually leave him where he started. it is going to be a very long year at the plate

Old
04-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Justified
Amaro out

oh man, what an offensive explosion.. 4 runs! Cole pitched well and got some great defense!

Old
04-21-2012, 02:54 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

LOL mets.

Old
04-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Phillip Humber throws the 19th perfect game in the modern day.

Old
04-21-2012, 07:01 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Lee headed to the DL with an oblique strain.

Old
04-21-2012, 07:50 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown81592 View Post
Lee headed to the DL with an oblique strain.
Well that's just great. Looks real good after he was left out there for 10 innings.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:56 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

The dark days, they could be back

Old
04-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Flyers scored more today than the Phils did in 4 of their last 5 games... combined.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Phillies are in real trouble. They're getting great pitching and absolutely no offense. I knew the offense would be pretty bad, but I didn't think it'd be quiet this bad.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:17 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Wow I listened to most of this game on the radio today and it just sounded pathetic. I love Cole Hamels, but I think he's gotta be moved for a bat (or two). Halladay and Lee at the top of that rotation is good enough if you can add someone who can swing the bat.

Closed Thread