HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy

Old
04-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Backes and Oshie are a top matchup line
Fisher and Erat

Pominville was 15th in the league among forwards in QoC... He can play a "shut down" forward line role just fine. Put a banger on one side, and a 2 way pivot in the middle... let them play the Drury line role

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Fisher and Erat

Pominville was 15th in the league among forwards in QoC... He can play a "shut down" forward line role just fine. Put a banger on one side, and a 2 way pivot in the middle... let them play the Drury line role
Morrow-Ott-Pomminville (trade)

Stewart-Kelly-Pomminville (trade, UFA)

Brown-Mcclement-Pominville (trade, UFA) although after this playoff i doubt Brown gets moved)

Just some ideas of a good shutdown line that can still produce offense

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:57 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Fisher and Erat

Backes & Oshie are a lot better than Morrow & Ott, though.

The dream would be getting a center like Kesler or J Staal to play with Pominville in that kind of role.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:01 PM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

The dream would be getting a center like Kesler or J Staal to play with Pominville in that kind of role.
Yeah Gerbe/tropp/?-Kesler-Pomminville would be nice but not really sure what type of trade that we could pull off to get Kesler

Old
04-18-2012, 02:05 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Yeah Gerbe/tropp/?-Kesler-Pomminville would be nice but not really sure what type of trade that we could pull off to get Kesler
Who knows what happens after Vancouver burns because they get bounced by the Kings!

Old
04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

I think Gaunce has the ability to be that kind of player... and we've seen younger players brought along in that kind of role quite well (JStaal, Seguin, Kesler even)

It's obviously not a solution for today... but...

then there is the UFA & Trade route
I'd love to add a defensive center, along with a veteran 2 way playmaking winger who still has the touch (Ray Whitney was a bargain @ )

Trade Derek Roy, Mark Pysyk, Nash 1st for Bobby Ryan

UFA Whitney-UFA Kelly-Pominville
Vanek-Hodgson-TRADE B.Ryan
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
McCormick-UFA McClement-Kaleta
x Tropp, Ellis

Old
04-18-2012, 04:18 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I think Gaunce has the ability to be that kind of player... and we've seen younger players brought along in that kind of role quite well (JStaal, Seguin, Kesler even)

It's obviously not a solution for today... but...

then there is the UFA & Trade route
I'd love to add a defensive center, along with a veteran 2 way playmaking winger who still has the touch (Ray Whitney was a bargain @ )

Trade Derek Roy, Mark Pysyk, Nash 1st for Bobby Ryan

UFA Whitney-UFA Kelly-Pominville
Vanek-Hodgson-TRADE B.Ryan
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
McCormick-UFA McClement-Kaleta
x Tropp, Ellis
Why does Anaheim make that trade?

With Getzlaf & Perry one year away from UFA, I can't see the Ducks dealing Ryan for a guy like Roy who's also a year away from UFA.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

What about Phoenix as a possible destination? If we get a new owner, we might be interested. Don Maloney loves him some former Kitchener Rangers and with Langkow ready to retire (he made 4.5m real dollars this season) we will have a hole to fill at C and the money to fill it.

Something starting with David Rundblad OR our 1st round pick and then adding something like Mike Stone OR Chris Brown OR Lucas Lessio OR our 2nd round pick. Some package in which Rundblad or the 1st is the primary return, basically.

Anywhere near close to a fit?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What about Phoenix as a possible destination? If we get a new owner, we might be interested. Don Maloney loves him some former Kitchener Rangers and with Langkow ready to retire (he made 4.5m real dollars this season) we will have a hole to fill at C and the money to fill it.

Something starting with David Rundblad OR our 1st round pick and then adding something like Mike Stone OR Chris Brown OR Lucas Lessio OR our 2nd round pick. Some package in which Rundblad or the 1st is the primary return, basically.

You sir just opened a door around here that you should not have been opened.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:13 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

I don't see good trade partners, I can't see Roy being moved without a roster center coming back (I find it hard to think he'll be traded for futures).

So...let's talk Hanzal. Roy + _________?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

No way Jose. Figured you could flip the futures. That or bank the futures and sign Stoll or Moss or somebody. Hanzal ain't going nowhere's.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:43 PM
tmack224

I could see possibly Roy for Rundbland and Brown if the Sabres can package some of their defenseman to someone else for picks and a Shutdown type Center.

To Anahiem:
Sekera
Armia
Buffalo 1st
Buffalo 2nd

To Buffalo:
Bobby Ryan

To Islanders:
Leopold

To Buffalo
2nd rounder
prospect

Then we could do:

To Buffalo:
Rundbland
Brown

To Phoenix:
Roy

Sign Kelly

Vanek-Hodgson-Ryan
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Kelly-Pomminville (not the third line) just where I typed it
Gerbe-Mccormick-Tropp

Myers-Mcnabb
Erhoff-Sulzer
Rundbland-Regehr
Weber

Miller Enroth

But will the sabres actually make that many moves... prolly not

Old
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Brown and Rundblad would be tough to give up. Both could be excellent in their given specializations. Still, at the end of the day, that would give us Antoine Vermette and Derek Roy for Kyle Turris and Chris Brown. I think I'd have to pull the trigger on that.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
I could see possibly Roy for Rundbland and Brown if the Sabres can package some of their defenseman to someone else for picks and a Shutdown type Center.

To Anahiem:
Sekera
Armia
Buffalo 1st
Buffalo 2nd

To Buffalo:
Bobby Ryan

To Islanders:
Leopold

To Buffalo
2nd rounder
prospect

Then we could do:

To Buffalo:
Rundbland
Brown

To Phoenix:
Roy

Sign Kelly

Vanek-Hodgson-Ryan
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Kelly-Pomminville (not the third line) just where I typed it
Gerbe-Mccormick-Tropp

Myers-Mcnabb
Erhoff-Sulzer
Rundbland-Regehr
Weber

Miller Enroth

But will the sabres actually make that many moves... prolly not
Not to be a nag, but come on man. Look at this line and tell me honestly that its not clearly worse than the other two.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:57 PM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Not to be a nag, but come on man. Look at this line and tell me honestly that its not clearly worse than the other two.
Yes technically it is but how else would you set that lineup?

Break up Foligno-Ennis-Stafford? i wouldnt

Put Bobby Ryan or Vaenk with Leino or Kelly? no I like Pommer but Vanek and Ryan are pure goal scorers and Hodgson is who you would want centering them instead of Kelly wouldnt you?

Pomminville Has the best 2way game out of any of the players on this team so whether you like it or not he would be the one that plays on the shutdown line. If Leino can come back and play like he did for Philly a year ago then that line wouldnt be bad at all.

take that roster and make the lines that you would have play together. Im interested to see what you come up with.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Yes technically it is but how else would you set that lineup?

Break up Foligno-Ennis-Stafford? i wouldnt

Put Bobby Ryan or Vaenk with Leino or Kelly? no I like Pommer but Vanek and Ryan are pure goal scorers and Hodgson is who you would want centering them instead of Kelly wouldnt you?

Pomminville Has the best 2way game out of any of the players on this team so whether you like it or not he would be the one that plays on the shutdown line. If Leino can come back and play like he did for Philly a year ago then that line wouldnt be bad at all.

take that roster and make the lines that you would have play together. Im interested to see what you come up with.
I don't know if there is a better way to rearrange those players, but the point was that you are in fact creating a 3rd line and not a 1(c) line, and wasting our best skater, Pominville, on said line. In this hypothetical, I would question the acquisition of an expensive winger for the 1st line, when we could simply put Pominville there instead.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Jame
Dream '16

id put Pominville on a line with jarret stoll and ville leino, and be fine with it....

Old
04-18-2012, 10:11 PM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I don't know if there is a better way to rearrange those players, but the point was that you are in fact creating a 3rd line and not a 1(c) line, and wasting our best skater, Pominville, on said line. In this hypothetical, I would question the acquisition of an expensive winger for the 1st line, when we could simply put Pominville there instead.
Your telling me that you dont want to aquire a guy like Bobby Ryan to play on our top line beucase Pomminville would have to play on the third line... I seriously dont get how having to many good players hurts us...

lets say we somehow sign Parise where do you think Pomminville plays? Your not gonna put Vanek or Parise on the third line are you? Your not gonna break up Foligno-Ennis-Stafford are you?

Old
04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Your telling me that you dont want to aquire a guy like Bobby Ryan to play on our top line beucase Pomminville would have to play on the third line... I seriously dont get how having to many good players hurts us...

lets say we somehow sign Parise where do you think Pomminville plays? Your not gonna put Vanek or Parise on the third line are you? Your not gonna break up Foligno-Ennis-Stafford are you?
Why in the world are you targeting a high priced winger?

Then targetting a generic 3rd line center in Kelly?

So we go into next season with two completely unproven kids at center and Chris Kelly?

Last edited by joshjull: 04-19-2012 at 12:29 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:39 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:

First of all yes, Pominville is the best skater on the team so he would skate on the first line no questions asked.

More to the point, I just don't understand how one can look at a status quo top-6 of VHP/FES and conclude that the position to target for improvement is the one occupied best skater on the team.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:24 AM
heartsabres*

Why is everyone in love with Stoll? Our third line center should score more then 5 goals. I see people wanting to offer this guy 3m a season. Thats crazy.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:38 AM
heartsabres*

This team doesn't need Bobby Ryan it needs Getzlaf.

I am not sold on Ennis and Hodgson as our 1 and 2 centers. they are young and lacking experience could go into slumps easily. We need a veteran center who can get 45-50 points and is a leader.
Some like Brassard would be Ideal.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 05:03 AM
Ness
@KetchTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Why is everyone in love with Stoll? Our third line center should score more then 5 goals. I see people wanting to offer this guy 3m a season. Thats crazy.
It's all about the market. Leino isn't worth his salary, but he got paid like he did simply because that was what forwards were signing for last summer.

Quote:

I am not sold on Ennis and Hodgson as our 1 and 2 centers. they are young and lacking experience could go into slumps easily. We need a veteran center who can get 45-50 points and is a leader.
That's why you let them play....so they can get experience. I do think this team needs a solid #3 center who plays physical and can contribute 50 points; I think anyone will tell you that. But if the "big fish top line center" isn't landed this offseason, I'll be perfectly fine with the 1-2 punch of Ennis-Hodgson, as long as a Max Talbot-type center is brought in as well.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:31 AM
gallagt01

Quote:

If you're looking to add a veteran center that won't slump often, Derick Brassard is not your answer.

Not to mention that he's hit more than 45 points exactly once.

That said, Brassard is a guy I could see Regier taking a chance on.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:31 AM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
It's all about the market. Leino isn't worth his salary, but he got paid like he did simply because that was what forwards were signing for last summer.

That's why you let them play....so they can get experience. I do think this team needs a solid #3 center who plays physical and can contribute 50 points; I think anyone will tell you that. But if the "big fish top line center" isn't landed this offseason, I'll be perfectly fine with the 1-2 punch of Ennis-Hodgson, as long as a Max Talbot-type center is brought in as well.
My thoughts Exactly.

Do I want a bigger better number 1 center then Ennis and Hodgson becuase they are unproven? YES!!!

Are the Sabres gonna be able to pull one away from another team in a trade? Most likely not. Teams dont trade away guys like Getzlaf and Kopitar. Yes Richards and Carter got traded but they had baggage and had rumors of them being party animals and all that. Ive never heard a bad thing about Kopitar or Getzlaf and theres no way I can see them getting traded.

Our number 1 and number 2 Centers whether you liek it or not going into next season will be Ennis and Hodgson especially if Roy is traded.

My theory is YES trade for Bobby Ryan. Make that trade with Phoenix and then try to trade up in the draft to get one of the Top 3 centers Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, or Forsberg( i know he has played wing to but he is also a center). Kelly can definitely play a shutdown Center role and still put up 20 goals with Pomminville. Let him play there until the Kid you draft is ready.

Believe me I wanna trade Vanek and have a new winger play with Hodgson and Pomminville. I just dont think anyone is gonna be willing to give up what Darcy wuold want for Vanek.

Hows this?

Vanek for Stewart, Cole and 1st

Roy for Rundblad and Brown

Sekera, Armia, Gerbe, Nashville 1st, Buffalo 2nd for Bobby Ryan

Leopold, Weber, Buffalo 1st, St. Louis 1st, Calgary 2nd, for the 4th overall pick (Galchenyuk)

Sign Kelly, and Slater

Ryan-Hodgson-Pomminville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Kelly-Stewart
Tropp-Slater-Mccormick
Ellis

Myers-Mcnabb
Erhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Rundblad
Cole

Miller
Enroth

Chris Brown and Galcheyuk have the ability to both possibly make the team out of camp. If they do then the third line would be

Brown-Galchenyuk-Stewart

4th line would be

Kelly-Slater-Tropp

bury Leino in the minors

No I dont think this would happen but I can dream