HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keith Ballard Appreciation Thread

Old
04-19-2012, 12:55 AM
ephmrl
#tanknation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Keith Ballard Appreciation Thread

Ever since coming back from the concussion Ballard has been our best defenceman. He's looking like the player we thought we got from Florida.

ephmrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
David71

yes him and tanev has been our most reliable pair after hamhuis/bieska. even though the guys get swtiched around.

David71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
CanucksSayEh

shoots like a girl, but nice to see a defenceman that won't get out hussled to the puck.

CanucksSayEh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:56 AM
PRNuck

I ****ing love that guy. Would have drawn a penalty at the end too when Nolan dragged him down after his hip check. Too bad it was "Canucks have the lead" rules.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:59 AM
asdfman
Weeeee

He looked SO good this game!

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:01 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

This man has some style. I've loved him ever since he's become a Canuck despite his struggles, I always believed in him, and looks like he's finally become the player that MG saw in him.

Although his cap is a little bit high, I think him, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Edler are our definite future defencemen.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:02 AM
John Bender*

I never thought I'd see this thread.

Go KB.......no longer KB lite, guy has been great.

John Bender* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:05 AM
dingdong

I don't see it. I saw him more than once passing to Tanev when he's in a bad position and skating away, leaving him with the no support. Also, no shot to speak of. Hasn't once carried it up ice with confidence, although to be fair it's not that kind of game against the Kings. Loved his hipcheck though.... always has a good hipcheck now and then.

dingdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Maccas

Had a huge game tonight!
Tbh with everyone *****ing and moaning about Ehrhoff being gone they should be blaming AV instead. Ballard is able to rush the puck as well as the Hoff and IMO is better defensively (When on his game) its just AV won't let him play that game. Hopefully as Tanev improves he'll get a bit of a longer leash to go forwards.

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:09 AM
David71

a.v should let the regins free on keith ballard. he can skate the puck out of the zone better than edler IMO and maybe slight edger beating kevin bieska on the breakout.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but he grabbed Brown's crotch and I believe he was suggesting Brown doesn't have a certain body part.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:11 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
I don't see it. I saw him more than once passing to Tanev when he's in a bad position and skating away, leaving him with the no support. Also, no shot to speak of. Hasn't once carried it up ice with confidence, although to be fair it's not that kind of game against the Kings. Loved his hipcheck though.... always has a good hipcheck now and then.
I think that's the good thing. If you noticed that any D had a bad game, you'd surely notice. I've been paying close attention to him but he was skating well, passing well and quickly. Loved everything about his game.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:13 AM
asdfman
Weeeee

Quote:
I saw Ballard saving Tanev a few times. In the first period he had one bad pass, but that's all I saw that wasn't so good. His puck movement can really replace Ehrhoff's rushing if AV would give him a chance

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
He's been the most consistent defenseman since he returned. If you can't see that then I have to question what games you're watching.

Hamhuis is obviously far more important, but he's had some up and down games earlier in the series.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:18 AM
mossey3535

Yeah, I was afraid for Ballard because we did the same thing as last year and basically dropped him into a pressure cooker after a lot of time off the ice.

But he's been our second best defenceman after Hamhuis lately. If you guys think you can get a defenceman like that for less than $4.2M on the UFA market, you're nuts. Provided of course that he actually gets to play. We haven't even really seen his offensive upside because he clearly has the AV brakes on.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:19 AM
NHLNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but he grabbed Brown's crotch and I believe he was suggesting Brown doesn't have a certain body part.
When was that?

NHLNucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevLinden16 View Post
When was that?
I think it was game 3. I was pretty surprised as well, not to mention amused.

Slot 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Yeah, Ballard grabbed Brown's crotch a few moments after he hit Henrik.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:24 AM
solitary

I've been a huge Ballard supporter since we acquired him. Heres to hoping he continues his strong play and builds on it.

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Good to see him playing like he can. 3 solid left side D it looks like.

If they keep him will they try him on the right side again? Or one of the other guys?

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:25 AM
David71

if av is fired. i think ballard stays and whoever the new coach is will let ballard have the green light to jump up offensively. he's done it in phoenix/florida.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:41 AM
mdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
if av is fired. i think ballard stays and whoever the new coach is will let ballard have the green light to jump up offensively. he's done it in phoenix/florida.
AV isn't getting fired.

But I'd be sad to see him go. I think he's a good 2nd pairing Dman and his cap hit will be not so bad as the cap goes up each year.

mdobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:43 AM
dingdong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
I think that's the good thing. If you noticed that any D had a bad game, you'd surely notice. I've been paying close attention to him but he was skating well, passing well and quickly. Loved everything about his game.
You're right, I didn't notice him much. I guess that means he didn't blow it

dingdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:54 AM
denkiteki

Looks like AV is finally giving him a chance. Question now did he prove himself enough to stay next season or will the 'nucks go after someone else.

Safe to assume Salo and Tanev both have top 6 spots locked up next year (assuming Salo resigns). No way 4.2mil should be in the press box + Alberts/MAG likely will be 7th/8th dmans next year. Question then becomes do the 'nucks want to go cheaper with d as the 3rd pairing and spend the cap elsewhere (i.e. a Winger to replace Raymond) or keep Ballard as a 3rd pairing.

Also how would Ballard situation effect the chance of Schultz signing here (virtually no chance of cracking the NHL roster if Ballard and Salo are both still here next year given Alberts and MAG would need to clear waivers).

Bottom line, its good to finally see Rome out of the line-up and hopefully out of a 'nuck jersey. He's like the Tanner Glass of this season... AV just overused him way too much for no reason and putting him in offensive situations that he had no business being in.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:43 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

I thought he's been very steady and consistent, and rather unnoticed which is what you want for a bottom pairing D. Great to see him and Tanev stabilizing that 3rd pairing.

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote