HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Secret for scoring goals

Old
04-19-2012, 09:45 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
The Secret for scoring goals

I have heard this tip right from the mouths of several prolific scorers. I'm remember Mike Gartner saying this, recently heard Parise say the same thing...

Have to have the mindset of getting at least 5 sog a game. Even if that means throwing the puck at the net. Have to get that avg of 5 sog and amazingly the goals will happpen. Some will be pretty, some will be ugly, but they happen and they all count.

04-19-2012, 09:48 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Last night:

Richards 8 sog

McDonagh 4 sog

Boyle 3 sog

Gabby 2 sog

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

vCash: 50
You only score if you shoot the puck. These guys have gotta challenge Anderson more. Throw everything at the net, especially from the point on the PP. Who cares if it goes in because of a deflection or a rebound, its still a goal. I don't know why they're so afraid to shoot. Enough with the constant attempts at a pretty play or a sweet no look pass, just shoot the puck.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:54 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
What is The Secret for scoring goals?
Play in Pennsylvania?

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:59 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Play in Pennsylvania?

We should be so fortunate to get the chance...

Old
04-19-2012, 10:34 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
We should be so fortunate to get the chance...

I see what you did there.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:48 AM
satrabyk

Once again shots are great but shooting from anywhere like we do at times also ruins offensive momentum and leads to turnovers. Also if you shoot you need presence around the net and up to now esp on the first line we have none. Richards and Gabby again picking on them dont provide any net presence or boxing out on shots. This is the problem, if they did and werent on the perimeters waiting for passes guys would be more incluned to shoot. But how can you shoot when Richards is at the hashmarks in the corner and Gabby is floating around. And the third guy if not the guys shooting is the only one who is getting dirty but in terms of Hagy and Cally lack a great deal of strength and size.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz728 View Post
You only score if you shoot the puck. These guys have gotta challenge Anderson more. Throw everything at the net, especially from the point on the PP. Who cares if it goes in because of a deflection or a rebound, its still a goal. I don't know why they're so afraid to shoot. Enough with the constant attempts at a pretty play or a sweet no look pass, just shoot the puck.
A lot of this is predicated around Richards, they for plays through him and if hes nto more mobile when recieving the puck or looking for one times the chances of opening lanes for shots to the net is not there. And trust me guys you dont want to see a shot hitting a pad and creating breakaway the other way.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Once again shots are great but shooting from anywhere like we do at times also ruins offensive momentum and leads to turnovers. Also if you shoot you need presence around the net and up to now esp on the first line we have none. Richards and Gabby again picking on them dont provide any net presence or boxing out on shots. This is the problem, if they did and werent on the perimeters waiting for passes guys would be more incluned to shoot. But how can you shoot when Richards is at the hashmarks in the corner and Gabby is floating around. And the third guy if not the guys shooting is the only one who is getting dirty but in terms of Hagy and Cally lack a great deal of strength and size.

All true about the quality of threat but what these scorers are talking about is INDIVIDUAL ownership of the fact they need to PERSONALLY get 5 sog to get one in... on average.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:15 PM
avery16*

i really hope atleast one of the rangers has an account here and will see this.. i bet the whole team has accounts so hopefully that first guy will tell the others about this thread and they will finally figure it out.

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:41 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
One of the better coaches to ever stand behind a bench in the NHL preached getting the puck to the net from ANY angle.

This coach was at the head of a 4 straight Cup winner and very close in proximity to the Rangers when it happened.

Al Arbour.

Shoot the puck on net from ANY angle. It forces the goalie to work. The real key here is to make sure that you have net presence and that is where this Rangers team falls very very short.

Callahan is the only real presence we have in terms of gritty physical player that can and will battle in front causeing all sorts of havoc. Gaborik has scored alot of goals from this area as well, but is not nearly consistent enough in this regards. Dubinsky should be that guy that imposes his physical will in that crease area, yet he's more apt at trying to protect the puck behind the net.

Any shot on goal that makes the goalie work is a QUALITY shot.

We have no net presense and our puck possession game has been non-existant.

We either choose to defend to often, or are unable to sustain any consistent offensive effort and it's killing us.

If you cannot sustain an offensive effort, then you need to get to the front of the net and take shots from anywhere. Force the goalie and defenceman to work and goals will get scored.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:47 PM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz728 View Post
They are so afraid to shoot because all they do is shoot it AT someone or try and shoot it with the D covering them and it just deflects up into the net.

Either that or they are so focused on trying to snipe they miss by a mile.

God damn they are professional players who dont act like they have any composure.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
SherWood Lumber 76

Good call PLD.

The mind boggling thing to me is the fact we have a defense and goalie that could sustain the occasional odd man rush as a result of throwing the puck from an angle and it going wide or kicked out high from a quick reaction save.

And agreed about Dubi. In fact, too many players are protecting the puck for that open lane oppurtunity when they just have to get to the net with a little chaos with or without the puck. Make them earn it, and at the same time get in Anderson's grill.

SherWood Lumber 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:33 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Shooting just for the sake of shooting is a recipe for losing. Why would you ever want to give away control of the puck unless you were reasonably certain that you were going to get a high quality scoring chance out of it? You want to shoot the puck when you've developed a high quality scoring chance. The answer isn't to take more bad shots. The answer is to do more work in order to earn more quality opportunities.
The answer is to make more intelligent and creative passes that create time and space for shooters. The answer is to get the defense moving around so that their clogging of the slot is forced to disperse, at least to some degree.

The best shot in hockey is a wrist shot from the slot. The more passing you do around the net and in the corners, the more quick little give and gos you execute, the more the defense is forced to abandon the formation, and the more offense you generate.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:37 PM
M0rbid

Quote:
Last night:

Richards 8 sog

McDonagh 4 sog

Boyle 3 sog

Gabby 2 sog
Seriously, Gabby

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:40 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by avery16 View Post
i really hope atleast one of the rangers has an account here and will see this.. i bet the whole team has accounts so hopefully that first guy will tell the others about this thread and they will finally figure it out.
Hahaha is this serious? You really think these guys who have been playing hockey all their life are going to discover some magical secret on an internet message board? That at no time in their hockey career did a coach ever tell them to shoot on goal more?

I sure hope you're just being sarcastic.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:43 PM
NYRangers09

The real recipe is speed through the neutral zone. When we have 3 forwards not moving between the red line and the offensive blue line while the defenseman are in the defensive zone looking for a stretch pass, you will not be able to set up play in the offensive zone. The forwards need to come back to help the breakout, come through the neutral zone with some speed and try to gain the zone. Even if they can't, then dump the puck in while you have some speed.

Its so frustrating watching Del Zotto fire a pass to Stepan at center ice, where the wingers have no speed to go fetch it and as a result, Ottawa defenseman have no problem getting the puck and moving it right back at us. CANT GET POSSESSION IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE WITHOUT SPEED!!!!

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
M0rbid

How about just crashing the net, to get on Anderson's nerve? Too many standing around after each shot.........

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Hahaha is this serious? You really think these guys who have been playing hockey all their life are going to discover some magical secret on an internet message board? That at no time in their hockey career did a coach ever tell them to shoot on goal more?

I sure hope you're just being sarcastic.
GUISE, GUISE... he's being cereal.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

So far 7 of 9 goals has come from three players: Boyle, Callahan, Stralman

Others has to step up !!

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Shooting just for the sake of shooting is a recipe for losing. Why would you ever want to give away control of the puck unless you were reasonably certain that you were going to get a high quality scoring chance out of it? You want to shoot the puck when you've developed a high quality scoring chance. The answer isn't to take more bad shots. The answer is to do more work in order to earn more quality opportunities.
The answer is to make more intelligent and creative passes that create time and space for shooters. The answer is to get the defense moving around so that their clogging of the slot is forced to disperse, at least to some degree.

The best shot in hockey is a wrist shot from the slot. The more passing you do around the net and in the corners, the more quick little give and gos you execute, the more the defense is forced to abandon the formation, and the more offense you generate.
While I would never disagree with this, the problem that we have is that we are not talented enough to keep a cycle going long enough to get the puck to an open guy in the slot with enough time to take his wrist shot.

I don't believe we have the personel to play the way you are describing.

Obviously we need to try to find that high scoring opportunity, but we are way to often losing control of the puck while in the offensive zone without getting even a bad shot on net because we spend TOO much time looking for that high quality scoring opportunity.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:08 PM
eco's bones

The secret to scoring goals is different for different people. There are some commons--quick release, being able to shoot off the pass--nice then if you play with someone who passes well. Going to the dirty areas in front of the net (size and strength help here)--good hand/eye coordination for deflecting shots and being able to adjust your position for rebounds, bouncing pucks and people crashing into you or there is having a cannon of a shot--accuracy is a must then. There's a mental aspect--an ability to see a space that isn't always apparent. And of course you're going to have to skate well and more well the better the competition gets. And at all those points the goalie may have the last word.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote