HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres' Regier preaches patience

Old
04-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Sabres' Regier preaches patience

Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y.-Two On Your Side's Adam Benigni spoke with Sabres general manager Darcy Regier late Tuesday afternoon. Reiger gave Adam a window into the Sabres plans for this off season.

Regier, very much aware of the Sabres unhappy fan base told Benigni his message to the fans is "hang in there, we're going to get better."

He said the Sabres need to address their lack of scoring and are focused on adding a center. Regier indicated the Sabres are willing to use their draft choices to acquire a player or players most likely through trades as this year's free agent class isn't that strong
http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/1...ches-Patience-

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Sabretip

Related interview by Benigni with Black:

Quote:
"I know how mad that can make people when they hear about optimism when we've come out of a season like this... We think we have a very good team, especially on defense... we have a very strong goalie... and most importantly we have a very strong commitment from our owner."
http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/1...Positive-Focus

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I'm done being patient! I've been patient for 41 years!

(Just to get that out of the way.)

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Clock

"Patience" here means meaningful changes to the team (focusing on center, eh?) rather than "this team can do it!"

I'm OK with that sort of patience.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Patience may also mean how long it takes Regier to fight a restraining order for making harrassing calls to Bob Murray.

Ring... ring.

"Hey Bob, Darcy Regier. Just calling to see if you will trade me Ryan Getzlaf now?" *click*

Ring... ring.

"Hey Bob, Darcy Regier. Somthing happened with the line, so about Ryan Getzlaf.." *click*

Ring... ring.

"Hey Bob, Darcy Regier. Isn't that funny, must be a telco issue somewhere. So about Ryan Ge--" *click*

Ring... ring....

Ring... ring....

Ring... ring........

04-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
"Patience" here means meaningful changes to the team (focusing on center, eh?) rather than "this team can do it!"

I'm OK with that sort of patience.

Perfectly put. If "patience" in this case meant that "we think this team can win with no changes...just be patient while things develop", I'd be all about bringing out the pitchforks and torches right now.

In this case, I feel confident that "patience" means "Hang in there. We know things need fixing, can't do anything about it right now, but when we can, we'll do our best to. It may not happen overnight (or on the first day of FA/trading), but it will happen"

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:55 AM
tmack224

If Darcy wants to add a center and add scoring then this is my list of guys to look at through trade or the draft. Let me know what you guys think. Who would darcy most likely go after, who you would want, who would be most available, what you would give up for them etc. add any you would like.

Big name Centers to look at:
Getzlaf
Kopitar
Jordan Staal
Stastny
Duchene
Kesler
Marleu
Thorton
Pavelski

Mid range Centers to look at:
C. Wilson
T. Zajac
B. Dubinsky
A. Anisimov
D. Bolland
D Brassard
B. Little
S. Ott
M. Hanzal

or Draft (if i miss spell a name or miss anyone just add them)

Grigorenko
Galchenyuk
Forsberg
Gaunce
Faksa
Grigorens

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:55 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Related interview by Benigni with Black:

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/1...Positive-Focus
Sounds like they plan on standing pat on defense (ie no Suter) and in goal and focusing on improving the forwards this off season.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:01 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Perfectly put. If "patience" in this case meant that "we think this team can win with no changes...just be patient while things develop", I'd be all about bringing out the pitchforks and torches right now.

In this case, I feel confident that "patience" means "Hang in there. We know things need fixing, can't do anything about it right now, but when we can, we'll do our best to. It may not happen overnight (or on the first day of FA/trading), but it will happen"
I'm hoping they are only asking fans to be patient until mid to late July.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:05 AM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm hoping they are only asking fans to be patient until mid to late July.

I was thinking more like mid to late june right around that thing I think is called the draft

Old
04-19-2012, 10:06 AM
gallagt01

Interesting that they're focused on "adding" a center.

You could take that one of several ways:

a) They want to add one more center to Roy, Hodgson and Ennis.
b) They plan to trade Roy and add two centers.
c) They consider it a forgone conclusion that Roy will be traded, and in "adding a center" they're simply filling his transparent roster spot.

I got the impression from Regier's interview on WGR that Roy would be moved.

Reading too far into it?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Interesting that they're focused on "adding" a center.

You could take that one of several ways:

a) They want to add one more center to Roy, Hodgson and Ennis.
b) They plan to trade Roy and add two centers.
c) They consider it a forgone conclusion that Roy will be traded, and in "adding a center" they're simply filling his transparent roster spot.

Reading too far into it?
I don't think so.

I think 4th line center is an underrated need by the fanbase. If you look at the common "4th" line centers this year -- it was most commonly Ellis and Boyes. Neither of them are natural centers. Yeah, Goose "centered" the 4th line technically, but he took so many draws that he wasn't just the 4th line center.

We still need that guy LIKE Malhotra, Halpern, Steckel, Smithson, Vitale, etc....a guy that is custom-fit for the 4th line and PK...and is a valuable faceoff guy. Goose is that 3rd/4th tweener that will cost a boatload.

If we don't offload Roy, I think Stoll is off the radar. Otherwise, he's the PERFECT replacement for Roy. But that still leaves us with a hole at 4th line C.

Dom Moore, Halpern are FAs, shouldn't cost more than $1.25 million and fit the 4th line/PK role perfectly.

Imagine if our top 4 centers next year are: Ennis, CoHo, Stoll and Moore. That'd be wonderful.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:16 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
I was thinking more like mid to late june right around that thing I think is called the draft
Regier has stated that things start warming up about a week before the draft.

I'm just figuring that it won't just be a trade around the draft that is part of the upgrades at forward.

I'm expecting that they might dig into UFA, as well.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Zman5778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Regier has stated that things start warming up about a week before the draft.

I'm just figuring that it won't just be a trade around the draft that is part of the upgrades at forward.

I'm expecting that they might dig into UFA, as well.
Yep.

What I'm loosely expecting is a trade that dumps Roy for some sort of top-6 caliber forward (be it center or winger).

Then, later, I'm expecting a dive into FA to "bulk up" our 4th line a little...specifically at center.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:26 AM
tmack224

Quote:
Yep.

What I'm loosely expecting is a trade that dumps Roy for some sort of top-6 caliber forward (be it center or winger).

Then, later, I'm expecting a dive into FA to "bulk up" our 4th line a little...specifically at center.
The only problem with darcy making moves the week before the draft or at the draft for me is that ill be on my honeymoon in the Dominican... You think they will have TSN at the swim up bar???

Old
04-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I don't think so.

I think 4th line center is an underrated need by the fanbase. If you look at the common "4th" line centers this year -- it was most commonly Ellis and Boyes. Neither of them are natural centers. Yeah, Goose "centered" the 4th line technically, but he took so many draws that he wasn't just the 4th line center.

We still need that guy LIKE Malhotra, Halpern, Steckel, Smithson, Vitale, etc....a guy that is custom-fit for the 4th line and PK...and is a valuable faceoff guy. Goose is that 3rd/4th tweener that will cost a boatload.

If we don't offload Roy, I think Stoll is off the radar. Otherwise, he's the PERFECT replacement for Roy. But that still leaves us with a hole at 4th line C.

Dom Moore, Halpern are FAs, shouldn't cost more than $1.25 million and fit the 4th line/PK role perfectly.

Imagine if our top 4 centers next year are: Ennis, CoHo, Stoll and Moore. That'd be wonderful.
Ideal :

Offload Roy for more size on the wing
Sign Stoll
Sign McClement

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Stoll-Roy Trade Return
Gerbe-McClement-Kaleta/McCormick

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Zman5778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ideal :

Sign Stoll
Sign McClement

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Yup. I'm on board with this. Leino/Stoll might be a heck of a duo.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
alright, so it's obvious Roy is gone. Anyone think we package roy and a pick to move up in the draft. Then maybe use one of our firsts and a second (or mid level prospect) to get some solid center depth. I think that's the direction we're going in.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:21 AM
heartsabres*

I have been saying it for a while. Derek Roy + 12th overall for a center.

I don't question Regier's intentions to make the team better. What I do question, is he willing to sacrifice some of the future and is another GM willing to partner up with him to make it Happen.

I don't see a team out there looking for 12th and 25th draft choices for a number one center. Even if you throw Pysyk, Roy or Armia in there IMO it is not enough to pry Duchene, Getzlaf, Kopitar ect away from a team. The sabres only have what it takes to get a second line center.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ideal :

Sign Stoll
Sign McClement

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
I'm surprised you'd want to commit to Hodgson / Ennis as our top two down the middle, Jame. If I'm Darcy, my objective is to keep them bumped down to the second and third slots for the time being. The sample size for Ennis, in particular, doesn't have me convinced yet.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:47 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
alright, so it's obvious Roy is gone. Anyone think we package roy and a pick to move up in the draft. Then maybe use one of our firsts and a second (or mid level prospect) to get some solid center depth. I think that's the direction we're going in.
I would be surprised if they move Roy to just add to the future of the team.

Also, I don't see too many teams ahead of the Sabres in the draft wanting one year of Roy at $5.5M in real cash.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:50 AM
OkimLom

I honestly would kick the tires on Joe Thornton. If San Jose falters in the first round, I can see them making a change with some guys. I think Joe can be had for LESS than what people on the boards think we would have to give up

He would be a really good mentor to Cody and Ennis while at the same time giving us a center to help balance out the top three lines.

Vanek + Nash 1st for Joe and 2nd round pick
Roy + Sekera to Edmonton for 2nd round pick(like a late 1st rounder)
Sign Parise and maybe grab a 4th line center:

Parise-Hodgson-Pominville (for some reason I think Pommers and Parise would own people)
Leino-Thornton-Tropp (Cycling madness with skill and grit)
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford (We all know what they can POTENTIALLY do)
McCormick-Stoll-Gerbe (Don't think Stoll would like being a 4th liner but allows the coach to roll 4 lines like Boston does with grit and skill)

Vanek and Joe's contract kind of offset, Sending out Roy and Sekera helps with affording Parise and Stoll. I think enough of the Core has been changed to see a different team.

Just something I WISH would happen. NOT GONNA HAPPEN

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Paradigm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
I honestly would kick the tires on Joe Thornton. If San Jose falters in the first round, I can see them making a change with some guys. I think Joe can be had for LESS than what people on the boards think we would have to give up

He would be a really good mentor to Cody and Ennis while at the same time giving us a center to help balance out the top three lines.

Vanek + Nash 1st for Joe and 2nd round pick
Roy + Sekera to Edmonton for 2nd round pick(like a late 1st rounder)Sign Parise and maybe grab a 4th line center:

Parise-Hodgson-Pominville (for some reason I think Pommers and Parise would own people)
Leino-Thornton-Tropp (Cycling madness with skill and grit)
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford (We all know what they can POTENTIALLY do)
McCormick-Stoll-Gerbe (Don't think Stoll would like being a 4th liner but allows the coach to roll 4 lines like Boston does with grit and skill)

Vanek and Joe's contract kind of offset, Sending out Roy and Sekera helps with affording Parise and Stoll. I think enough of the Core has been changed to see a different team.

Just something I WISH would happen. NOT GONNA HAPPEN
This is beyond terrible for Buffalo.

If Buffalo is committed to Ennis and Hodgson as our #1 and #2 centers, then we need to get bigger on the wings to compensate, and sign guys like Stoll and Kelly to center the 3rd and 4th lines.

I know it would be ideal to slot Hodgson in as our #3, but isn't that why we got him away from Van? To give him more icetime as more than a #3?

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I'm surprised you'd want to commit to Hodgson / Ennis as our top two down the middle, Jame. If I'm Darcy, my objective is to keep them bumped down to the second and third slots for the time being. The sample size for Ennis, in particular, doesn't have me convinced yet.
1. that objective is kind of "dream scenario" for me... based on:
2. I want to move on from Roy... i don't need to reiterate my position... i'll simply sum it up by saying "addition by subtraction"
3. We are not a contender next year, so keeping Roy, to keep the younglings pushed down the lineup has little value to me.
4. The most important thing the front office can do this offseason, is recognize who needs to be moved... and MOVE THEM. Not wait for the a better offer, not get the best asset value... just ****ing move them.
5. I don't think we have a chance to acquire a #1 center.

Our best hope at this point is to develop Hodgson/Ennis into some variation of Drury/Briere... while developing the higher end talent via the draft behind them.

We need to surround the new core with character, grit, and defined roles.

Obviously, if the chance to grab a #1 center presents itself, then GREAT... and bump everyone down... terrific.

But I'd rather over play the kid centers, then see Roy pull on the blue n gold again

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:13 PM
SabresOfBuffalo

This is what I expect at the start of next season.

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Leino - Acquisition - Tropp
Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta

SabresOfBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote