Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Hockey in Britain part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Alpine

vCash: 500
^^
Ukraine on the last day will be playing Japan who most likely will have nothing to play for. A catch game.
Ain't goin' up ain't goin' down.
It's simple get a regulation time win over Hungary. Not easy but as they say it's the thin one on the right, pedal to the metal, foot on the gas.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:04 AM
villevalo

The guys will be kicking themselves for not gaining promotion last year, no doubt they would have been relegated back but now its a relegation battle in this group.

Going with 6 D seems pretty stupid now, with a game nearly every day they must be knackered.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
The guys will be kicking themselves for not gaining promotion last year, no doubt they would have been relegated back but now its a relegation battle in this group.

Going with 6 D seems pretty stupid now, with a game nearly every day they must be knackered.
It was out of their control, Weaver and Cowley pulled out very late, and Ben O'Connor has playoffs in Kazakhstan. You can only play players who were on your entry list, we had 9 D on the entry list, and 3 ended up not being able to play.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-19-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old
04-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Sucks to have a blow-out game against Japan. Need Ukraine to lose all remaining games.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Sucks to have a blow-out game against Japan. Need Ukraine to lose all remaining games.
They can win one as long as we beat Hungary. Just now I mistook TheHockeyForum for the Rangers board, they're all suicidal jumping off cliffs over the loss.

Btw have you contacted the Chelmsford club yet? I'm sure you said in lady advice thread that you're only 19, it's not really too late for you to start playing or reffing unless it's the costs that are putting you off that.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

The only thing I'm worried about is losing my teeth. I just spent ages getting braces etc. Sound silly I know.

I told myself I was going to it after the season, which I think is just gone. So, I'll probably e-mail some time in the next week or two. I can't skate, so I'll have to learn that. Or go down a different route of the office side.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
The only thing I'm worried about is losing my teeth. I just spent ages getting braces etc. Sound silly I know.

I told myself I was going to it after the season, which I think is just gone. So, I'll probably e-mail some time in the next week or two. I can't skate, so I'll have to learn that. Or go down a different route of the office side.
If it bothers you that much then just wear a full cage, plenty of guys do, or just try to play in goal if the cost isn't too much of a problem. First step is of course learning to skate, then when you fell you are ready buy some equipment, I'm sure there will be beginner rec teams in the rinks near you.

The season is just about to end, it would be best to contact them soon so if you're going for a manager role they can get you a place on a course in the summer. If you go down the office side you would probably have to start out as a manager and get to know the club before they would give you a secretary or treasurer type role. It's possible to work your way up outside the club within the system also, the manager of my team is in charge of disciplinary in the EPIHL, so he's basically the Shanahan of that league. You don't get paid but you get given perks, he got a free VIP ticket to the Coventry finals weekend.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-19-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old
04-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Hmm, sound interesting. I was thinking about the goalie position as well because if I'm not as good at skating as other players, then that'd suit because it requires the least amount of skating ability out of all of the players on the roster. I mean, you still need to skate a bit to retrieve pucks behind the net for icings and what-not but most of the time you're in your hash marks and are concentrating on the puck.

I'll get onto it this weekend.

Old
04-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Stereotypes make me believe British dentists are bad hahaha but anyway just take milk to each game and if you lose a tooth, rinse the tooth off with some milk (to get the dirt off), put it in the left over milk when it's clean. Take it to the dentist and he'll stick in back in your face!

Full cage is obviously another option lol

Old
04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Hmm, sound interesting. I was thinking about the goalie position as well because if I'm not as good at skating as other players, then that'd suit because it requires the least amount of skating ability out of all of the players on the roster. I mean, you still need to skate a bit to retrieve pucks behind the net for icings and what-not but most of the time you're in your hash marks and are concentrating on the puck.
I could write an essay on how wrong you are, but I'll let Mr Weekes and some goalie videos explain that to you

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-19-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old
04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I just think it'd suit me because I'm lazy so I'd just sit in the net all day and not move

Old
04-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
I just think it'd suit me because I'm lazy so I'd just sit in the net all day and not move
If you wanna be a lazy hockey player be a defensive D-man. Usually they hang back, give the puck to the skilled guys as quickly as possible, and typically aren't naturally gifted skaters. Goalie is probably the most athletic position on the ice haha you'd regret that decision if you're looking to be lazy.

Old
04-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Yeah goalie definitely isn't for you it's last practice of the season next week so someone will be suiting up in my kit for fun, as Adam says I'll definitely be playing defense when I go out as a player

Old
04-20-2012, 07:31 AM
mattski93
Poo Brain

Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Nobody lazier than a scoring winger...

Old
04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
PuddlesTheDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski93 View Post
Nobody lazier than a scoring winger...
*Jade Galbraith likes this*

Old
04-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesTheDuck View Post
*Jade Galbraith likes this*

Seriously if that guy actually tried he would definitely be a productive AHL'er, he was almost a PPG player in the ECHL, he beat Rask with his shot in the Bruins v Giants Selects game.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-20-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
villevalo

I was pretty surprised to see Greg Chambers was on the same side as one of the Staal brothers OHL teams.....and got far more points then him!!!!

Why he didnt bother/didnt get drafted is insane.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
No rink in GB is owned by a hockey club. So all of them have to pay, generally quite high, costs for ice time.

"Back in the day", you would have found that most rinks actually ran hockey clubs too, but that seemed to die out over the years. In an economy where they can probably get more money for a public skating session, that leaves hockey clubs up **** creek.

But its probably the only problem that cant be changed, unless the hockey clubs strike oil or win the lottery, or some maniac buisnessman starts building ice rinks built for hockey, it wont change.

In short, hockey over here, for the most part has to play the cards its dealt. And at the moment we have a two of hearts, two jokers and that card that tells you how to play bridge
I've been reluctant to answer this because I don't want to go all Canadian here...
But you got the wrong idea.
Outside of NHL teams no teams own rinks in Canada and not all of them do. There's only 11 pro teams in Canada 7 NHL and 4 AHL.
one ***** load of Junior or U-21 teams if you like about 60 Major Jr and about 140 tier 2 Jr A.
Most rinks are owned by communities/municipalities (you might call them councils?)
It's a chicken or egg argument.
If there's interest facilities will be built. If you build them interest will grow.
As 99 likes to say it's a cultural thing.
Here's three stories of small town community rinks 2 that took decades of local fund raising and volunteer work.
Grand Manan NB (i've posted this before)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByklUTvyapU

Fredericton Junction NB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5xEE0hsFZc

Bouctouche NB.........OVER $15 MILLION raised by voluntary donations to get the provincial and federal gov'ts to kick in $5 million each.
The Town built a new Town Hall, town library and town gym as well as arena into the complex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvQDP...layer_embedded

These are places of about 4,000 residents. No pro teams just a bunch of kids.
High School or Jr B/C or Senior might be the highest level played in these rinks
Play the deck you've been dealt or get a new deck..........
If interest is there you never know what might happen
Apologies if this comes across as an "in Canada" thing not my intent trying to show what communities can do if they have a mind to.

Last edited by Alpine: 04-20-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I've been reluctant to answer this because I don't want to go all Canadian here...
But you got the wrong idea.
Outside of NHL teams no teams own rinks in Canada and not all of them do. There's only 11 pro teams in Canada 7 NHL and 4 AHL.
one ***** load of Junior or U-21 teams if you like about 60 Major Jr and about 140 tier 2 Jr A.
Most rinks are owned by communities/municipalities (you might call them councils?)
It's a chicken or egg argument.
If there's interest facilities will be built. If you build them interest will grow.
As 99 likes to say it's a cultural thing.
Here's three stories of small town community rinks 2 that took decades of local fund raising and volunteer work.
Grand Manan NB (i've posted this before)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByklUTvyapU

Fredericton Junction NB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5xEE0hsFZc

Bouctouche NB.........OVER $15 MILLION raised by voluntary donations to get the provincial and federal gov'ts to kick in $5 million each.
The Town built a new Town Hall, town library and town gym as well as arena into the complex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvQDP...layer_embedded

These are places of about 4,000 residents. No pro teams just a bunch of kids.
High School or Jr B/C or Senior might be the highest level played in these rinks
Play the deck you've been dealt or get a new deck..........
If interest is there you never know what might happen
Apologies if this comes across as an "in Canada" thing not my intent trying to show what communities can do if they have a mind to.
Yes but I highly doubt those Canadian teams have to pay 65 (more than 100 USD) a month for 1 hour 15 minutes of practice a week and 12 home games a season like I do. When I was a junior I paid 50 a month for 50 minutes of practice a week (plus a goalie specific session every now and again) and 8 home games

Hockey has to be slotted in around public sessions and figure skating, the rink simply makes more money from them, hence they charge us so much for the ice to make up for that.

Very few of our rinks are run by the council, a majority of them are run by greedy ***** aka Planet Ice The Swindon rink where the Okanagan Academy is being held is council run, Steve Nell the Wildcats GM buys all the ice time from the council then sells it to whoever wants it, I love that he has basically said **** you to the figure skaters and is taking all their ice away for the Academy

Furthermore, the Bristol team this season managed to establish a fan base after putting in a ton of work. Then all of a sudden the landlord decides "**** you I'm building accommodation for students" It's really sad, the rink was horrible yes but better than no rink, they were a great bunch of people down there too

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-20-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 03:13 PM
PuddlesTheDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post

Seriously if that guy actually tried he would definitely be a productive AHL'er, he was almost a PPG player in the ECHL, he beat Rask with his shot in the Bruins v Giants Selects game.

I guess the problem with Galbraith is that he doesn't need to work hard, he comes from a wealthy family, so he plays hockey for fun, not because he has to.

Players like him, with all the talent in the world, yet no heart and work ethic frustrate the hell out of me.
He partied his was out of Nottingham and is tearing it up with a Braehead team that isn't going to win anything.

I thought it was a travesty he got the MVP, sure he put up 100+ points playing 2 line hockey with the Clan, but it meant nothing, Dowd for me was the clear MVP. Belfast weren't the same team when he was injured and when he played he was a force.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:16 PM
PuddlesTheDuck

Quote:
Yes but I highly doubt those Canadian teams have to pay 65 (more than 100 USD) a month for 1 hour 15 minutes of practice a week and 12 home games a season like I do. When I was a junior I paid 50 a month for 50 minutes of practice a week (plus a goalie specific session every now and again) and 8 home games

Hockey has to be slotted in around public sessions and figure skating, the rink simply makes more money from them, hence they charge us so much for the ice to make up for that.

Very few of our rinks are run by the council, a majority of them are run by greedy ***** aka Planet Ice The Swindon rink where the Okanagan Academy is being held is council run, Steve Nell the Wildcats GM buys all the ice time from the council then sells it to whoever wants it, I love that he has basically said **** you to the figure skaters and is taking all their ice away for the Academy

I can't remember who runs Whitely Bay, but that was a joke, the ice was horrific and the paint had basically chipped off all the ice, but they refused to try and remedy the ice and the paint because they made too much from the skating sessions before and after games

A damned shame too as trips to WB were always great when we played the Vipers.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesTheDuck View Post
I can't remember who runs Whitely Bay, but that was a joke, the ice was horrific and the paint had basically chipped off all the ice, but they refused to try and remedy the ice and the paint because they made too much from the skating sessions before and after games

A damned shame too as trips to WB were always great when we played the Vipers.
I believe Whitley Bay has a private owner, which would explain that.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Alpine

Quote:

Furthermore, the Bristol team this season managed to establish a fan base after putting in a ton of work. Then all of a sudden the landlord decides "**** you I'm building accommodation for students" It's really sad, the rink was horrible yes but better than no rink, they were a great bunch of people down there too
Ice time is about $200/hr minor hockey, ringette, figure skating, speed skating getting a break but not free. Youth sports
Usually covered in the yearly registration fee of about..... When my kids played it was about $300/season to a maximum of $700 if there was 3 or more in the family registered. Plus outside groups like Pro-Kids that would help pay for those that couldn't in whole or in part.
For about 28 games plus twice weekly practices. The minor association also has on staff skills development and technical directors....part-time.

Last edited by Alpine: 04-20-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Ice time is about $200/hr minor hockey, ringette, figure skating, speed skating getting a break but not free. Youth sports
Usually covered in the yearly registration fee of about..... When my kids played it was about $300/season to a maximum of $500 if there was 3 or more in the family registered.
For about 28 games plus twice weekly practices. The minor association also has on staff skills development and technical directors....part-time.
Exactly, I pay more than that per season in for much less ice time, I don't even want to convert that into dollars because it would make me too mad and kids don't even get support with paying, if you cant pay = bye bye. One really talented player from Swindon was Danny Williams who had to quit at 16, he spent I think 4 years at a school called HCC in Canada and got kicked out for non-hockey related reasons. When he came back to Swindon I got told his dad wouldn't pay for him anymore because he had been kicked out of HCC, so he had to pay for hockey himself, eventually he couldn't afford it anymore and they wouldn't let him play, he was registered for the EPIHL team where he wouldn't have had to pay to play but they told him no you're a junior player you have to pay junior fees in order to play for the Wildcats.

Don't quote me on all that though, it's just what I heard.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-20-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Alpine

But you have my point wrong.
It's the people in the communities that get things done and force things to be built.
Council is elected and will do what citizens demand.
If folk donate money and time it may take years but will happen,
Council reacts to citizen demands not initiates.

Closed Thread