HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLI All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
I'm cheering for the Canucks to come back and win the series tbh
Same here, just so they can keep blasting Luongo

Old
04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
How many times has the president's trophy winner been down 3 to the 8th seed though?

Not that it's likely to happen, but most of the time teams don't come back from down 0-3 because they're up against a far superior team.
good point

Old
04-19-2012, 09:26 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
I'd play Bobrovsky from now on. It's maybe a bit risky (and looks a bit dumb and lowers the value of Bryz)... but atleast Bob has a higher ceiling than Bryz at the moment. Bryzgalov has been absolutely horrendous the whole season.
Bryz was terrible in the playoffs for Phoenix last year. A lot of people thought Philly was idiotic giving that type of deal to that particular goalie. He's had his moments but he is incredibly inconsistent, and I think is a guy with "battle" issues. He gives up too easily. Flyers probably already regret giving him that contract.

Making it worse is the fact that Philly's team D is so bad. Pens went to a 1-2-2 after they got the lead last night. If they continue to play with defensive posture, they'll come back and beat the Flyers who are just awful in their own end. I have no confidence in either Bryz or Bob not to blow it. Fleury is the type of goaltender that runs hot and cold. He was starting to get it together in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Both the Canucks and the Pens will take it to game 6. They'll both win at home.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Bullsmith

The Backstrom suspension is total ********. Honestly, the way the league bends over backwards to turn the Bruins into victims is pathetic.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Protest the Hero

No word on Dubinksy's crosscheck on Michalek?

I know it ended up hitting him in the visor instead of the face, but shouldn't he get a fine or warning, it was pretty dangerous. I guess since nobody is talking about it, the league can just ignore it too.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:38 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
The Backstrom suspension is total ********. Honestly, the way the league bends over backwards to turn the Bruins into victims is pathetic.
It is BS since Peverly was sticking his blade in Backstrom's face first. Suspend both or suspend neither. Also in the first minute of game one Marchand did the same type of crosscheck to the face and got nothing for it.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:59 AM
vokiel
I hate blind callups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If you'd be able to build a mega-deal, that would eventually mean trading Price....but getting Schneider and other players....would you consider it? And I know...it might depends on who the other players are, but just the idea of getting rid of Price who is more proven for a Scheneider who is full of promise....Too risky? Or worth the risk mainly if a top prospect and a top pick are coming back? Mind you, the only interesting prospect right now for the Nucks is Nick Jensen.
No, Stability > Potential & Goaltender == most important position.

We have a good one we can build around and we're already ~2 years into that plan. It's just too late now.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
Fleury is the type of goaltender that runs hot and cold. He was starting to get it together in the 2nd and 3rd periods.
Much easier to get it together when your team is up by 4-7 goals though... It's true that he is hot or cold, but to me it's just too extreme to like him as a goalie. Because when he's bad, he's BAD.

I dunno just what is wrong with Philly and goalies though. I mean, ok, Briz is likely a bad signing considering the contract. But even if you thought he was overrated in Phoenix, the difference between how he was then and now is just astonishing. You can talk about team defense all you want (and god is Philly's D horrible this year without Pronger) but so many goals that go in just shouldn't.

Never seen such a display of goaltending in a playoff series, where BOTH sides are absolutely horrible. I mean, people were calling for Philly to put Bob in nets, but he was absolutely horrible too. Same thing for Pitts when they put their back-up. It's like no goalie involved in this serie can do anything good.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Backstrom was an idiot there, but if there's an example of being provoked into action, there it is. The Bruins were getting away with targeting a guy coming back from a concussion all night, and the refs let them get away with it. Amazing how in the league's mind, that and Neal's two unprovoked cheapshots are worth the same thing.

I don't know anyone who gets away with more than Lucic and Thomas. Lucic was finally suspended this year but even after that he continues to walk the line and almost never gets called on it until his target retaliates.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Hate that Backstrom was suspended but you can't crosscheck somebody in the face like that, esp when the game is over. He deserved it.
Quote:
Bryz was terrible in the playoffs for Phoenix last year. A lot of people thought Philly was idiotic giving that type of deal to that particular goalie. He's had his moments but he is incredibly inconsistent, and I think is a guy with "battle" issues. He gives up too easily. Flyers probably already regret giving him that contract.
You can count me among them.

Quote:
Making it worse is the fact that Philly's team D is so bad. Pens went to a 1-2-2 after they got the lead last night. If they continue to play with defensive posture, they'll come back and beat the Flyers who are just awful in their own end. I have no confidence in either Bryz or Bob not to blow it. Fleury is the type of goaltender that runs hot and cold. He was starting to get it together in the 2nd and 3rd periods.
Losing Pronger just kills Philly. Completely different team when he's back there playing half the game. He couldn't fix the goaltending but he'd do a lot for that defense. He's exactly what they need back there and they are sorely missing him.
Quote:
Both the Canucks and the Pens will take it to game 6. They'll both win at home.
Hope so. I picked both to be in the final and I'm looking very, very wrong on that prediction right now.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Hate that Backstrom was suspended but you can't crosscheck somebody in the face like that, esp when the game is over. He deserved it.
I agree, but I just can't get over that in NHL logic, what Neal did is equal to what Backstrom did, and what Weber did is less than both.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I agree, but I just can't get over that in NHL logic, what Neal did is equal to what Backstrom did, and what Weber did is less than both.
Weber should've gotten a game. I think it really sent a mixed message to the league's players and that's exactly the opposite of what you want. It's way too arbitrary.

In the pre-season Shanahan had it right. Big suspensions for dumb plays. The owners and players association freaked on him so he had to knuckle under. Now we have little consequence and mixed messages.

I feel for the league because hockey is a fluid game and all kinds of different situations occur. It's obviously hard to police. But they've got to come up with some kind of objective standard for disciplining players that everyone can agree on. And the whole philosophy of 'innocent until proven guilty' is the wrong way to do things.

As I said in the other thread. Chara (intentional or not) should've been suspended for his hit. It sends a message to the league that you have to be responsible for what you do on the ice. Intent or not... doesn't matter. Something should be given. If it's deemed intentional, then the suspension should be longer.

Too many times we watch as the league says something like 'strong hockey play' while a star player is sitting there writhing on the ice. If the league is serious about stopping it (and they've shown no signs that they actually are) then stiffer penalities and consistent policies have to be put in place. Until that happens, this is just going to keep re-occuring on the ice. Sad but true.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Horrible night last night. All the teams I wanted to win lost..

Go Panthers, Caps, Blackhawks and Blues tonight.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
what Weber did could have been very dangerous if Zetterberg had not realised it right way, picture somebody's face being shoved into the glass or top of the boards with force by a 225lbs athlete.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
what Weber did could have been very dangerous if Zetterberg had not realised it right way, picture somebody's face being shoved into the glass or top of the boards with force by a 225lbs athlete.
I don't think Weber's action was that bad. Sure, it was dirty, but it wasn't full force, and Zetterberg had his helmet on.
I don't see much difference than someone throwing a punch in a scrum.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
If you'd be able to build a mega-deal, that would eventually mean trading Price....but getting Schneider and other players....would you consider it? And I know...it might depends on who the other players are, but just the idea of getting rid of Price who is more proven for a Scheneider who is full of promise....Too risky? Or worth the risk mainly if a top prospect and a top pick are coming back? Mind you, the only interesting prospect right now for the Nucks is Nick Jensen.
I'd do it depending on what's coming in return, obviously.
Schneider is a great goalie, so if we get him as well as other good assets, I'd definitely consider it.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Lol both philly goalies gave up 5 goals on 18 shots, hard to make a decision

I just rly cant beleive how bad bryzgalov is

Fleury however, never fooled me, ive known since world juniors about him, just like most of us

Old
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think Weber's action was that bad. Sure, it was dirty, but it wasn't full force, and Zetterberg had his helmet on.
I don't see much difference than someone throwing a punch in a scrum.
Most times in a scum you're facing your opponent and something triggers a punch. He was a foot or so from the board and didn't expect his head shoved into the boards.

Old
04-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Most times in a scum you're facing your opponent and something triggers a punch. He was a foot or so from the board and didn't expect his head shoved into the boards.
Not trying to say he didn't do anything wrong. I just don't think the impact was all that bad.
However, if the league wanted to establish a clear line of control, they should have suspended him. But clearly they didn't want to, for some magical and unknown reason.

This league is just brutal when it comes to officiating and discipline.

I also don't understand why refs often punish the retaliator and not so much the guy that started it. Player X slashes a player Y, refs sees it, let's it go, player Y turns around and gives a slash to player X in return, refs sees it. End result, penalty to player Y.
This has got to be the worst form of refereeing, ever. Never made any sense to me.

I think it's very sad that this league is one where fans chant ''referees suck'', where commentators constantly use hockey expressions like ''refs have put their whistles in their pockets'' or ''refs decided to let them play'', where the head of the disciplinary committee publicly states that they won't be as severe/strict regarding suspensions come PO time. It's all very retarded

Old
04-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not trying to say he didn't do anything wrong. I just don't think the impact was all that bad.
However, if the league wanted to establish a clear line of control, they should have suspended him. But clearly they didn't want to, for some magical and unknown reason.

This league is just brutal when it comes to officiating and discipline.

I also don't understand why refs often punish the retaliator and not so much the guy that started it. Player X slashes a player Y, refs sees it, let's it go, player Y turns around and gives a slash to player X in return, refs sees it. End result, penalty to player Y.
This has got to be the worst form of refereeing, ever. Never made any sense to me.

I think it's very sad that this league is one where fans chant ''referees suck'', where commentators constantly use hockey expressions like ''refs have put their whistles in their pockets'' or ''refs decided to let them play'', where the head of the disciplinary committee publicly states that they won't be as severe/strict regarding suspensions come PO time. It's all very retarded
The refs let the players play in the playoffs because the games are more entertaining that way. The players' intensity and energy adds excitement to the game, and making loads of penalty calls detracts from that. In the regular season, the players simply don't play as hard, and the refs need to call penalties to give the fans something for which to cheer.

The NHL is a source of entertainment first and foremost, and needs to do what it takes to entertain its fans. If that means the refs call playoff games differently than regular-season ones, so be it. I know I don't need to see any more contests like last night's Pens/Flyers game.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Geez, Florida vs. New Jersey. Boooooooooooooooring.

Good thing the Caps game is on tonight. Sad that they'll lose to the B's but at least I can watch OV make some moves.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Protest the Hero

So Zac Rinaldo gets nothing?

Old
04-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

Watching the Bruins pay and I feel like puking.

Go Caps!!

Smash those ****s

Old
04-19-2012, 07:44 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
No

You dont trade an elite goaltender like Price, you just cant do it.. Schneider has the potential to become a top 10 goaltender in the league, but hasnt the full package Price has.. Its a matter of time before Price is knew at his fair value, we have a very sweet future blueline, Price will shine soon just like Rinne is right now..

Old
04-19-2012, 07:52 PM
googlymoogly

Bruins keep pulling their little crap jabs after whistles. I hate that ********* team and the refs for letting them to continue it. As soon as other teams do it they get penalties.

Closed Thread